May 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight - Baby Carriers

Been slacking on the Product Spotlights.  Whoops!

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Baby Carriers!

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!

For STMs....
What carrier did you use last time? What did you like or not like about it?
Are you considering a different one this time?
For FTMs....
Any carriers you're interested in?

To  view the upcoming PSS schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XX4aUSPsDbdyEEK5HIzMzwH2ztOVOnNCehSgMAc5w6U/edit?usp=sharing
Next up: Strollers
**TW**
Me: 35 | H: 40
Married Sept. 2013
DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
BFP!  8/24/19
DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

Re: Product Spotlight - Baby Carriers

• I used a k'tan with both my newborns and I loved it. It can also be used for twins, so yay! When DD and DS got older, I used and Ergo and MH uses a Baby Bjorn. I like the Ergo better for younger babies because I feel like it doesn't spread their legs as far apart as the Baby Bjorn did. Not sure what we're going to use this time around. I've seen a couple twin carriers, but nothing I'm super excited about.
  • I borrowed the Sakura bloom ring sling for the first 4-5 months, then switched to the Lille baby, which you can actually use since newborn (has tons of positions). I learned how to use the sling from watching YouTube videos but was never great at it, DD liked it. She also enjoyed the front dancing position with the Lille Baby. Unfortunately, we were never able to use the Lile as a back-pack position which was my dream for hiking, she didn’t like the position and kept throwing herself back. All in all we used the carriers until about 1.5 years old.
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I used the Moby Wrap and Infantino carrier. I love my Moby because it’s long and stretchy and allowed me to get stuff done around the house in the early weeks of DD’s life even while DH was out of town. The Infantino carrier is great for the cost and I was able to breastfeed her in the carrier while walking around Seattle, HOWEVER, it gets uncomfortable and chafed her thighs on long walking days. 

I’m looking for a comfier carrier for baby #2... currently eyeing the Ergo!

Also, looking into ring slings because I looooooved baby wearing DD and plan to do it with this one, too, so I want options. 
  • I second the k’tan. It is easy to use and DD loved it. We were able to use it until she was mobile and switched to the Lilliebaby. I feel like the Lillie was awkward at first but once we got used to it, it was great. Perfect for hiking/outdoor use. 
  • I used moby wraps until she was about 6 months old. It took me a long time to figure them out, but once I did it was pretty great. I must say, once her legs could hang out it was much easier. Note to FTMs don't try and figure them out at 9 months pregnant with a stuffed animal, your bump does not allow you to figure out how to use them correctly and you'll get so frustrated, or maybe I'm the only dumb one who would attempt something like this. 

Once she was about 2 months old I started also using the ergobaby 360 with the infant insert. When she was little I wasn't much of a fan, but once she was bigger 6+ months it was really nice just to be able to click it all together and not have to figure out how to wrap things just right and tight enough while she was crying trying waiting to be picked up.

This time around I'm interested in getting a baby sling, but I don't know if I want to invest money in something that I'm not sure I'll like. They seem fairly expensive for a bunch of fabric and a circle hoop. 
  • I used a ring sling with DD for the first year and would have longer if she hadn’t been so heavy (she was in 3T in her first birthday). It was so easy to pop her in and out, once we learned how to nurse in it that was awesome, and she loved it. They are a little expensive but I used mine literally every day. Check consignment stores. It’s also great that they can be washed...just wrap the ring in a sock.  After that I switched to a Lille, and I loved that too. She enjoyed being worn on my back and I liked not having to chase her. We travel by air 6-8 times a year so it was marvelous for airports. 10/10 will use both again. 
  • I mostly used a Boba wrap when he was small, and LOVED it.  It was so stretchy and comfortable, but I can see where it might get too warm with a warmer weather baby.  It was the only thing DS would nap in for like the first 3 months.   :#  For more heavy duty baby carrying, I had the Lillebaby Complete Airflow.  I loved it because you can front inward-face, front forward-face, back, and side carry with it, and you don't need an additional infant insert like other carriers.  I also loved that it had lumbar support.  I carried DS in it with no back troubles up to like 25 lbs.  I carried a 4 month old baby I used to help watch in a Bjorn for a walk once, and my back was KILLING me at the end because it had no back support, so I do not recommend the Bjorn, personally.  I plan to use the Boba and Lillebaby again.  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• I used a Lillebaby with my first and a Lillebaby and a ringsling with my second. I watched YouTube videos and met up with a friend who was really good at slinging. Once I got the hang of it, that was my choice because I could put him in it even faster than the Lillebaby and it was just so easy. We were both also much more comfortable in the desert in the summer with the ringsling. I like Vienna Springs matkas because they were so breatheable. I joined the BST group and got a couple used ones that way. I also have a couple of Wildbirds. I like them and they are a pretty good option and decently priced but the material is much thicker and not as breathable for summer. It’s got great support for them as they grow bigger.

My oldest only ever wanted to be front carried in the Lille by me and never MH even when I was pregnant with his brother. 🤣 But #2 actually doesn’t mind back carry and he prefers Daddy to carry him most of the time if he has the option. 

I never figured out how to back carry with the ringsling but I kind of want to with this one. I also think breastfeeding is much easier in the sling over the Lille. 
  • I've used a moby ring sling and wrap as well as the k'tan as well as the more structured ergo baby carrier. I'm plus sized so I liked the ring sling the best over all. The wrap was okay but awkward to tie up on your own, the k'tan ended up not fitting me at all, (bigger chested) so DH used that one. We've used the structured baby carriers through the airport twice now and I'm not a fan, the lumbar support is a thick velcroed strap with a small buckle that you connect. The problem I had is the strap rolls around the buckle and then the sharp edge of the velcro was pressed into my lower back.

If you are in an urban area there are baby-wearing facebook groups where once you are a member you can borrow numerous different baby carrying options and purchase them used. I think I'm going to do this, this time! I'll need to wear the baby a lot with the twins running around. Last time I had winter babies but this time I'll want something that breathes a bit better than my current ring sling. @mdfarmchick, thanks for the suggestions.
  • m6aguam6agua member
    edited October 2019
    All carriers take a while to figure out and get the right fit, and as LO get's older you have to keep adjusting. So for FTMs, if you hate it at first I highly recommend sticking with it, watching YouTube, and checking out a babywearing club or friends for help. Once you get some practice and the right fit it makes a world of difference. Also babywearing is hot, no matter which carrier you have and what season it is. You can get ones that help, but it will always be warm still since your bodies are together.

DD was born in November so it was colder out and that has a lot to do with carriers and fabric choices.
    • When she was really little I used the Moby Wrap and I really liked it, however the fabric was thick and warm, this time around I have a Lillebaby Wrap and the fabric is so much lighter. I'm excited to try it out since I haven't yet.
    • After a couple months I got an Ergo with the insert (which you need until they reach a certain leg length-depending on the version). At first I loved it, I felt like she was more secure than in the wraps. Eventually it got uncomfortable and would make my low back hurt from the waistband digging in. It also felt really bulky and warm.
    • I also used the Infantino Mei Tai Carrier. This I think was a happy medium between the wrap and the soft structured carriers (i.e. Ergo). It felt more secure, was easy enough to use and was less bulky. Downfall was that I couldn't get a great fit since her legs didn't really fit knee to knee.
    • Then my best friend turned me on to the Lillebaby 6-in-1 Complete. I started with the standard All Seasons in black (cotton outer fabric, mesh inner fabric, zips down to expose mesh to make it cooler). It has been my absolute favorite. I get the secure feeling since it is a soft structured bucked carrier, it has a lumbar support so nothing is digging in your back, you can adjust the height of the chest clip which helps take weight/pull off of your shoulders and distribute it much better, no insert needed you can adjust from narrow to wide seat depending on your child's leg length (they now have the Serenity version which has 3 adjustment levels for leg length). There are a lot of straps, but like I said once you figure it out, you can set one set and just adjust the other. You can roll up the excess dangling straps too. I quickly discovered while the All Seasons was great in WI from Fall to Spring, it was HOT in the humid summer. I ended up also getting an Air Flow (all mesh) and that one has been amazing and much cooler for summer. I now own the Complete in Original, All Seasons, Airflow, Embossed (different fabric choices). I also have the toddler carrier "Carry On" in the Woven fabric. If anyone has any questions on Lillebaby, I am a bit obsessed and am happy to answer!
    • At some point around 8 months-1 year I tried the Lillebaby Ring Sling. Overall the Ring Sling is great for quick ups, but just wasn't the carrier for me. I never felt secure enough. I also didn't spend enough time figuring out fit.
    DD is almost 3 and I still occasionally wear her. I am super excited for a new little squish to wear all the time!

Sorry for the novel.

ETA: The Lillebaby was clutch for on the go naps for DD for the first year and a half! They joke that it comes with "Sleepy Dust", but it seriously does once you get the fit right.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• I used the Ergo 360 and the Moby with DD. I preferred the Ergo because it was less fussy than trying to wrap the Moby tight enough. I also didn’t like how much extra fabric I ended up with on the Moby.

For this baby I’d like to try a ring sling for when he/she is super small. I feel like that will be cooler than the Ergo in the late spring and summer months. Are all ring slings basically created equal, or are there certain brands you all prefer?
  • What carrier did you use last time? What did you like or not like about it?
    I have a K'tan that I LOVED and used for the first 6 months or so. For me, the K'tan was super easy to wear and assemble (especially alone) and DS seems to enjoy it and would usually fall right asleep as soon as he got all snuggled up in there. After he grew out of the K'tan, I used the Ergo 360 and that worked fine as well - probably used until he was around 2 years old. No complaints. 
    Are you considering a different one this time?
    I might switch for the lighter mesh K'tan this time since baby will be born in the summer - DS was a winter baby. I also want to try a more traditional wrap this time - mostly because I found the K'tan a lot more comfortable than the ergo and I feel like you can use wraps for longer than the K'tan. I will probably only buy one though if I can find it used.

• @m6agua I love Lillebaby and honestly don't understand why anyone would ever choose something else, TBH.  :lol:  I have the Complete Airflow and love love love it.  I also get different design drool covers off Etsy to change up the designs without spending a fortune on another carrier.  :)  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• m6aguam6agua member
    edited October 2019
    @shamrocandroll Yes to the droll/suck pads! My favorite shop is PinkTigerBotique! Although, I’ve bought several suck pads and several carriers. 🙋🏼‍♀️ I didn’t buy any carrier full price though.

warning, picture overload.

Here are some of the suck pads I’ve gotten for myself and friends.

here are several of my stash’s at different points. 

This is my current stash, just missing the Orange and cream seen in the bottom picture. Also missing my wrap.

TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @m6agua Damnnnnn!  Impressive!  I'm cheap, but I might look into getting a second Lille this time.  

These are my favorite (Etsy pic because I don't have any of my carrier without DS in it).  It's from Baby Anicka's shop.

**TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• I used the boba wrap with DS up until he hit 6 months. I loved using it, and it was really easy to carry him around in. Both MH and I used the ergo as well, from about 3 months until about a year. We never got to wear it on our back because DS did not like it, but it worked well in front, with DS facing backward, and later on facing forward. 
  • I used a k’tan with DD and really liked it. It was pretty easy to use and was comfortable. I did wear her in the summer and it did get pretty hot, so I think I am going to go for the mesh option this go around. 

• @m6agua One of my best friends had the Ergo, but didn't have the infant insert, and they wanted to come on a hike with us when she was only a few months old.  I brought my Lillebaby for them to borrow/try.  Her husband was the one wearing the baby on the hike, so I got him fitted up with it, and he was immediately like "Oh my God, we need one of these immediately" to his wife.  He's the type that is always yelling at her for buying stuff, so I know he really meant it.  :lol:
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @m6agua @shamrocandroll you’ve got to try the organic or did they stop making that one? I love my Lillebaby organic. It’s soft and breathable. 
  • I tried the ktan around the house like 2 times with DD.  She was never a fan, but maybe I wasn't doing it right lol.  I'm definitely interested in trying other options this time.  It sounds like the Lilliebaby is popular.  Are there different sizes or is it adjustable enough for a plus size person?
  • @m6agua I’ll have to take a stash shot later... I have a mesh regular in navy, a charcoal mesh carryon, a navy embossed, the red Mickey Mouse embossed, the light blue organic... that might be all of them?
  • @bananapanda It's very adjustable.  I'm tall (5'10") and a size 14, give or take, and it fits me great
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @bananapanda It is very adjustable and they do sell a waistband extender if needed too. my SIL wears size 26 jeans (I think) and she doesn't have an extender. She is probably borderline needing one though, and as her LO gets bigger and she moves the waistband down from her natural waist to her hips she probably will need the extender.

@mdfarmchick I had the Green Meadows Organic for a little bit, I got it in a mystery box. I never used it and sold it brand new. I really want to get the Blushing Pink Original Organic, I've been keeping my eye out for one on marketplace for a decent price. They discontinued the Original Organic and now have the Organi-Touch. Basically they just have a new manufacturer for it. I've heard that the Organi-Touch's aren't as soft as the Original Organics.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @m6agua when Lille decided to sue everyone I dropped out of the Facebook group I was in so I’m behind on the news probably. I love my organic. It is like a pillow. That sucks that they switched suppliers. 
  • @mdfarmchick Yeah, I'm still in the FB group. I don't know too many details about the lawsuit, but I guess it has something to do with a patent they have or something, I think for the adjustable seating or the lumbar. I'm not too positive on that though. I guess if they legally have a patent and others infringed upon it, they are completely within their right to sue.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @m6agua it was just shady to me personally. They weren’t the first SSC and they basically decided to sue everyone with one on the market. Eh. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • @mdfarmchick I agree it was shady. Like I said I don't know the details. But if there is actual infringement on a patent that they hold, or even if there isn't patent infringement, I hope the justice system settles it fairly to whichever company/companies are following the law.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• I had the Moby with my first and loved it. What’s a lightweight equivalent? I gave DD a heat rash once and I don’t want to do that again.
  • I've tried what seems like all of them but that's not exactly accurate - I've tried a Moby, an Ergo, and a ring sling and I haven't been a huge fan of any of them. I just ordered a Happy Baby Carrier off a BST group on FB and I have high hopes this could be the one I end up loving. My 16 mo is still little and snuggly enough to wear, so he and I are going to break it in when it comes to see what I think. They just did a big fall drop that crashed their site, but they're hoping to be back up on Monday for another go around. I decided to try a used one first to see if it's my magical holy grail of carriers. I'll report back if I love it like my June '18 BMB loves theirs. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Has anyone used a Tula Baby carrier?
  • @pirateduck I have a Tula and I like it! As far as structured carriers I don't have much to compare it too though as it's pretty much the only one I've used.
  • @rachelg777 any major complaints?
  • @pirateduck I haven’t bought a Tula but I tested one with DS2 that I really liked. We have a lillebaby, but I want to buy the Tula free to grow for this baby. I found my lillebaby to be too bulky on me and the Tula seemed a lot more compact if that makes sense. 
  • It looks like the Tula fabrics are softer/more comfortable for a structured carrier.  I also like the looks of the model that has multiple carry positions, front/back in/out facing.  The reviews I read made it sound like adjustments are easier to make than with lillebaby.
  • Definitely easier to adjust. I have the lillebaby all seasons and it has like five thousand pull straps to adjust. It just feels huge on me. I’m 5’8, but I have a tiny torso and the lillebaby feels like a giant blanket swaddled on me. I’m thinking the Tula F2G because I’d like to use it from birth without an insert since I live in the south. I have a ring sling that I love for the NB stage but I feel like all that material might be too hot in the summer. 
  • edited October 2019
    I am looking forward to using my k’tan again. I loved it for DD. I could put it on under my jacket when we were going somewhere and slip her in straight from the carseat when we arrived (she’s a late-Oct baby so it was chillier). 

We have a lillebaby, but it always just felt too bulky to me after the k’tan. 

My go-to from age 1.5 to now is a soul slings onbuhimo. It is so convenient and DD loves that she is sitting higher on my back and can see so much. 

We also have an osprey backpack which we use for hiking and other outings where H is likely to carry her. It’s so easy to adjust from H to my small frame if we decide to trade off. 

I’d like to get a ring sling for this LO, ideally Sakura Bloom which I’ve been drooling over for years. And maybe even a soft carrier similar to the Sakura Bloom scout, though I’m not feeling as tied to the brand for that. 

H can’t understand why I need more carriers, but he’ll come around. 😉
  • I’m back to report that I love the Happy baby carrier. It’s perfect. 10/10 recommended 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @pirateduck If I wore it too long my lower back would hurt (like hours long)- but that is most everything for me. I love that it's super simple- really easy at airports, etc.