April 2020 Moms

Maternity Clothes

I keep buying non-maternity clothes and I’m not sure why...a habit I guess but also I don’t know where people get cute maternity stuff and/or how much to buy? I checked out Target’s section yesterday and was not impressed.

My favorite stores are J.Crew and Anthro, and I work in architecture so I need “stylish artsy business” work clothes. Would love to know where to get the best maternity jeans!

Also those with kids...is it true that kids will get my clothes dirty or somehow ruin fancy things? I am pretty attached to my nice clothes, shoes, and purses! 😬

Re: Maternity Clothes

• I honestly scoped out the local thrift stores for a lot of my maternity stuff. My last pregnancy was over the colder months as well (born in mid June) so I got a bunch of large sweaters that I mostly wore with leggings.
    As for kids getting clothes dirty... Yup. At least when they get a little older. My toddler gets grubby hands and then inevitably wants to be picked up.
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • My fav is Anthro too! I have a bunch of flowy shirts from there that fit me almost my whole pregnancy last summer and were great for postpartum.  My favorite for maternity stuff is probably H&M. I don’t know of much in the way of artsy business for maternity.  If you want straight business check out Seraphine.  J Crew used to have a maternity line but I think they stopped making it.  Another suggestion for out of the box stuff you wouldn’t find on your own is Stitchfix. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Forgot to reply about kids!  As far as kids ruining stuff... yup. But if you’re like me and change when you get home from work you should be semi-safe.  The spit up, the grubby hands, the food that gets stuck to them when it misses the bib.  I have lots of stain remover.   
  • I’ve been poking around ThredUP for maternity wear on consignment. Seems like a good option for pricier things especially, like a winter coat.
  • Old Navy had maternity stuff I liked last time. I also got a bunch on Swap.com and local thrift.

Kids will definitely get messes on your clothes, maybe put some of your absolute favorites aside till they're older?
  • I have liked Motherhood Maternity for my maternity clothes. I also got a couple things from Loft Maternity as well last time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Zara, hm, seraphine. Also Le Tote has a maternity option I did with my 1st pregnancy bc I had to dress a bit nicer but didn't want to buy much. It's great for rental of regular maternity everyday or nicer stuff too. Also good to just see other nicer brands 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • I second Le Tote! I used that during my first pregnancy because I had to dress nice for work. I’ve also been looking at ThredUp and Amazon for maternity clothes. 

Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married: April 2014
    DS born 9/16
    TTC #2 since December 2018
    BFP 8/19 MMC 10/19
    BFP 5/20 MC 6/20
  • I really like Old Navy jeans - they have front pockets.  Motherhood Maternity, Gap, H&M and Old Navy are good for maternity clothes all online.  I never had to return anything from H&M but the rest you can return in store.  
  • I love H&M and Gap for maternity stuff. Old Navy has the best maternity dress pants. I just ordered two more pairs  for work during one of their sales and they were less than $20 each. I have friends that like more designer stuff so they bought a lot from Pea in the Pod. My pregnancies have all been different seasons so inexpensive options have been my preference. I've also heard positive things about Pink Blush, but haven't ordered from them myself.
  • If you're comfortable paying a little more, Ani & Wren has great options for nice quality clothes that happen to be maternity.
  • @doraleigh35 I don't understand the hype about Pink Blush.  I felt like people in my BMB and the other BMBs I stalked loved it.  I ordered a few things last pregnancy and felt like it was pricey for what you were getting.  It's a lot of stretchy flowy stuff that pills really easily.  I think if you go in knowing it's not stuff that's going to last more than one pregnancy it's okay.  
  • @KFrob That's good feedback, thank you! I was hesitant to order anything and probably will just stick with the brands I know work for me. This is my last pregnancy so I don't want to spend a lot on maternity clothes when I already have a good amount.
  • I get mine from Motherhood, Old Navy, or Target (online selection was better than in store here). Fortunately, my office is pretty business casual and I basically never have to go to court any more. Not sure what I’d do if I had to wear suits.

As for avoiding post kid messes on clothes, I definitely recommend changing when you get home. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • I don’t need work clothes so I just try to wear my normal jeans as long as possible. I use the hair tie trick pretty much up till birth. Lol 

Also I cannot stand striped maternity clothes. Why are all the shirts striped?? 

I do want some maternity overalls this time that I saw at H&M. Something fun to wear to the pumpkin patch! And yes, it will be annoying when I will have to pee 100 times but that’s fashion. 😂 
  • Zulily has some nice things that are maternity, but I mostly got my maternity clothes from old navy, motherhood, and thyme. This time around I'm going to have to get work clothes which will be interesting to say the least since I don't really like shopping...
  • @ruby_love Yes, why all the stripes? I keep laughing at how I'd look in some of the tops.
  • @mysteryship Right?? We’re not pirates 😂
  • @Kathryn0903 I had the I can't fit into anything melt down on Sunday while trying to get dressed for DD2's 1st birthday party.  I changed my pants 3 times before I settled on a bigger pair that were comfortable enough and DH reassuring me that everyone knows I'm pregnant and not fat lol.  I need to invest in some more maternity clothes.  I have no idea what I wore for bottoms last time...
  • All my pregnancies I carry high to pants fit me for way longer than shirts. Since we will be preggo all of fall/winter and part of Spring I am going to splurge on some Spanx faux leather maternity leggings! My office is fairly trendy so trying to keep it going.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @smallbutmighty77 I'm the opposite and carry really low so I need maternity pants super soon.  The problem with that is most of my regular shirts aren't long enough to wear with maternity pants so I have to end up switching to maternity shirts way before I should need them.  Since I carry low I also have to go full panel.  The low or side panels drive me crazy and my pants just fall down.  I've been eyeing a pair of faux leather leggings at H&M!  
  • @KFrob Me too!! If we all get them we should make a faux legging post! 😂
  • Anyone have a favorite pregnancy/maternity bra? I bought one and am just not loving it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @KFrob I carry low too.  The Bamboobies brand nursing cami are really long but don’t have the ruching on the side so I use those and layer with my normal tops. 
  • Sorry, this might be a dumb question. How do you know if you carry low or high? I assume you know because you'll are STMs?
  • @Kathryn0903 I bought a bra that's not maternity-specific but it's wireless. Doesn't make the gals look as perky as in my old wired bras but those also made want to burn them to the ground because they became so uncomfortable almost as soon as I was pregnant! The bra is super cozy and is by Bali. 
  • So far I have gotten stuff from resale/thrift stores/goodwill. I did take advantage of a Motherhood Maternity bra sale though ($8 each!)
  • Thats exactly where I am now as well. Wore some maternity jeans and it was so much more comfy, although i did feel like i had to keep adjusting the waistband
  • Anyone had any luck with old navy maternity clothes? Was checking out their website and the prices look pretty good! I’m at the point where the elastic trick isn’t helping as much anymore!
  • @lmac92 I bought some Old Navy last time that I’m wearing again. I was a little annoyed when they stopped selling it in the store here, but I think you can still return to the store if it doesn’t work out. I found the pants I bought ran a little big, so they were kind of loose even at the end last time. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • mandarenee898mandarenee898 member
    edited October 2019
    @lmac92 I really like my old Navy Maternity jeans. They have front pockets! I have the demi band ones now (I think that is what they call it) and will get a pair of full panel to wear later so I have something between me and my belly bandit support band. I also bought a couple pairs of their roll up waist maternity yoga pants but haven’t had to break those out yet but due to the roll up waist I’ll be able to wear them after the babies come when I’m on maternity leave. 

@mercury94 you can return Old Navy to the store as I had to with some items I changed my mind on once I saw them. 

I’ve had good luck with Gap maternity clothes but I’ve never tried their pants as last pregnancy I had my 3rd trimester in the summer so lived in leggings and dresses. I like the Gap’s maternity underwear as it still looks like regular underwear but fits nice under the bump and was good after pregnancy during the transition of my uterus going back to normal size. 

edited: typo
  • @lmac92 I had a couple shirts and tanks from my summer pregnancy last time and they were nice.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @lmac92 I’ve also had really good experience with Gap and Old Navy, but I need some new jeans this go around and I’m afraid to order them since the reviews aren’t so great.  But like PPs have said you can return in store if they don’t work out.  
  • babybisonbabybison member
    edited October 2019
    I love loft and target for maternity. The selection in store isn't great, I agree, but returns to the store is easy. I also like pink blush, but only on clearance. I got some great nursing dresses that I wore pre-baby, post-baby, and post-nursing. They're so flowy and amazingly comfortable! ETA: I got mostly maternity camis and wore my regular chunky sweaters over them for work. If you don't have to close your sweater, then non maternity works just fine!
  • Thanks everyone for all of your tips!! I’ll definitely start ordering some old navy things!
  • @korthouse I think I just bought the exact same bra (target) for the exact same reason lol. I didnt want to spend more than $15 this early since I dont know how long I'll be this size, and its soooo comfy!