December 2019 Moms
Options

Hospital Bags! What is in yours?

mrszoobearmrszoobear member
edited July 2019 in December 2019 Moms
What do you think is neccessary to put in your hospital bag? What are you leaving out because you think you won't need it? What is your hospital providing you with (please indicate your country here as not everywhere is the same)?

One of the best suggestions I have heard from family and friends so far is to bring a fan with you for when you get hot during labor. But maybe some hospitals have those available? I'm not sure.

Re: Hospital Bags! What is in yours?

• Options
    Here's a post on the topic from a fashion blogger I follow.  She has 5 kids, so she knows her stuff.  Can't say I agree with everything on her list, since I personally can't see myself doing my hair and makeup so soon after giving birth.  But more power to her!
  • Options
    @blueskychicago12 Crazy on the makeup and hair supplies...but the rest of that is super useful! Good find!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    These are the things I put in mine that will make it this delivery as well.
    Black maternity leggings
    Nursing tanks (didn’t bother w bra’s just the tanks)
    A robe 
    My own non slip socks (the ones I wore during delivery from the hospital got very gross)
    headbands, for labor and after. 
    Glasses, if you wear contacts you won’t want to wear them during labor
    Chapstick
    Normal toiletries in travel size
    phone charger 
    For baby, just a going home outfit. The hospital provided everything and gave us tons to bring home. I even used the pump at the hospital and they give you all the parts needed and bottles to pump into. 
    DH I didn’t bring anything but we lived 5 min from the hospital so he just ran home for showers. 
  • Options
    Found this from Babylist — would never have thought of an extra long phone charger, and I like how it’s divided by for you/your SO/the baby:

https://www.babylist.com/hello-baby/what-to-pack-in-your-hospital-bag
  • Options
    ashorkeyashorkey member
    edited July 2019
    I wore a hospital gown until I got in the tub while laboring and then was naked after that. I have no shame, they’re looking at my vagina who cares at that point about boobs. and feel like a sports bra will just get in the way for trying to nurse / kangaroo care after. 

Slippers
    robe & nursing nightgown
    chapstick
    snacks (my hospital allows eating)
    tinted moisturizer
    hair tie
    Change of clothes for husband
    going home clothes for me & baby
    phone charger
    essential oils
    tennis ball for massaging back

additions this time:
    deck of cards or something if induced again to keep us entertained
    Own pillow and blanket 
    gift for big sister
    rabozo

also, a tip I got from a friend who recently had a baby. She got a blowout right before the baby was born and her hair looked amazing. Her timing just happened to be right, but why not a little pampering at the end! 

Eta: birth plan! It’s nice to have it written down with all the shift changes. While not everyone will know it or care about it, it’s nice to have on hand so you aren’t constantly repeating yourself. 

Also, I’m in the US and our hospital provides a lot. And there’s just many things you’ll bring and won’t be necessary (clothes for baby until going home. Even swaddles) 
  • Options
    I literally stayed in the hospital gown the entire time I was there. And yes take EVERYTHING from the hospital

Comfy clothes
    granny panties 
    Long cel phone cord 
    something to do! Book, magazine, games i had DD during March madness and we didn’t have many visitors so BORED!!! 
    Any medications you need
    socks/slippers
    chapstick 
    hair brush/hair ties 

Really you have everything you need at the hospital. 
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • Options
    @mecoats I stay in the gown the whole time too.  It was so much easier with my csection with my first and it made nursing easy access.

i know others mentioned it too, but besides a going home outfit, I only used the hospital clothes for the baby.  I would bring a nice blanket if you plan on getting pictures done.  I didn’t think of this with DS and he was wearing white with a white blanket so his pictures are a bit washed out.
  • Options
    For my first two babies I defiantly feel like i overpacked. So for this baby here is my list:

sweatpants 
    oversized shirts (i hate nursing clothes lol )
    sweater
    A going home outfit
    Phone and charger
    Laptop and charger (i do online school and I am due the same day as my final exams so maybe a fun day!)
    Travel shampoo and soap (showering after baby felt so good last time with my own stuff)
    Hair tyes
    Hair brush
    snacks for after birth but my hubby brings those 
    nice camera because I take my own pictures in the hospital

For Baby
    Heavy blanket and a lighter swaddle blanket
    clothes to go home in
    hat
    car seat
    pacifier

I live in Washington state and the hospital we went to last year supplied absolutely everything for baby up until we left. We kept baby in her swaddle blankets the whole time we were there since they come to check all the time, plus we have a heat lamp for the baby so no need for clothes really

For me they supply all the pads and underwear until I leave that I need. They make up the ice packs to sit on.  They also give you a ton going out the door. And their socks are super comfy so i always get a few of those!

They are very accommodating at the hospital for whatever I needed or wanted. I even got extra meals throughout the day outside of regular meal times to replenish my body which was awesome

This baby too, my husband and I decided he would be in the hospital for the birth but go back home after to help my parents with my other two little ones. There was not much point for him to sit around the hospital with me after the birth since everything was focused around baby and I, and since i was breastfeeding I was awake no matter what. 

• Options
    A mom I know told me to have your own snacks, as you usually have to wait for food? Idk just thought I’d share bc it sounded like a great idea! 
  • Options
    @ktmaesim Just depends on what kind of labor you have- When I had my DD I got some breakfast on the way to the hospital but once I got there they only let me have clear liquids (jello, popsicles etc) but then when I got my epidural I had to be NPO and didn't eat until I gave birth. Thankfully once I ordered my food it came to me pretty quickly- best meal of my life!! 
  • Options
    @ktmaesim we had snacks but mostly for DH. I was NPO after the epidural. But they had sack lunches available immediately after birth. And I sent my father in law to Culver’s for a burger. But the hospital had food for me immediately. The hospital provided plenty for me. DH on the other hand needed stuff and since he has celiac disease he can’t always grab things from vending machines or other snack sources. 
    Me: 39  DH: 30
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:
    BFP #1 2/26/17, MMC 5/2/17
    BFP #2 10/10/17, MC 11/4/17
    BFP #3 12/17/17 Birth 8/13/18
    BFP #4 4/21/19 Birth 12/5/2019

• Options
    @ktmaesim I was induced and only allowed ice chips. All I was thinking about was food and eating after I gave birth. I think you’re own snacks and a few take out menus are a must.
  • Options
    @ktmaesim I think it depends on your hospitals philosophy. I was induced and still allowed to eat. We brought food from home, but were also allowed to order from the cafeteria. After delivery my midwife had a sandwich waiting for me and made me eat at least half of it before I was allowed to go to recovery... My daughter was born at 11:50pm so the cafeteria was well past closed but they keep food on hand for such occasions. If the cafeteria would have been open they would have brought up a full meal.  I'd ask your doctor what their policy on eating is. 

• Options
    This might sound silly or over the top. But I plan on bringing tattoo pens with us in our hospital bag. As soon as baby girl is clean and in our arms, I'm putting a mark on her ankles. 

I know they have all kinds of procedures and policies in place now to make sure that a mix up doesn't happen. But I'm just paranoid enough to make sure I have a safety net in place before she leaves my sight. I'm also making sure my husband is with her constantly if they take her out of my room for tests while I'm still recovering. 
  • Options
    @mrszoobear I would do a tour or check the policy's at your hospital. I know with both my daughters, they never left the room while I stayed in it alone, and when they did it was required either my husband go or I went in a wheel chair. There was never a moment they were out of sight. They had all the equipment in my rooms. When we changed from delivery to recovery I held them in my arms while being pushed in a wheel chair.
  • Options
    @mrszoobear my hospital didn’t have a nursery so under normal circumstances the baby never leaves your room. My son had to go to the nicu but DH was allowed to go with him right away so he was never left alone. 
  • Options
    @mrszoobear same as what @ale9687 said, if your hospital is "baby friendly" then the baby never leaves your room- all the tests were done with me there (hearing test, heel stick etc). There is also a security bracelet on the baby's ankle and you and your husband have a bracelet on your wrist so if the baby goes too far away from you- an alarm goes off. 
  • Options
    @mrszoobear all testing was done in my room. He never left us. Talk with your hospital. But if it makes you feel safer go for it. 
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:

• Options
    @mrszoobear call me crazy for clarifying - when you say tattoo pen, like an actual tattoo through the dermis? Or a pen? Like a marker?
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! They do have a tour with the labor and delivery classes so I will ask then. 

@anniemarie887 - OMG I would never do a real one heavens no. But Bic makes some tattoo pens that last for a few days then eventually wash off. That is what I plan on bringing. 
  • Options
    @mrszoobear I had a moment where I was like am I losing it?! Does she mean really tattoo her baby?! 
  • Options
    We did a tour of our hospital's birth center a few days ago, and they gave us a sheet with recommendations of what to pack in your hospital bag. Thought I'd snap a pic and share. I think we've already discussed most of this, but it's good to have.

• Options
    The very first item I packed in my bag last time was a bag of extra-long Twizzlers LOL

I know I way overpacked last time, but we also had a midwife delivery so we were only at the hospital for 1 night (end even then it's only because we lived far enough away that we didn't want to drive all the way back the next morning to do baby tests.) 

I specifically remember that I used my own personal blanket from home (during the non-messy parts and recovery), a different set of clothes to wear home because the ones I came in with had my water break all over them, a phone charger, and a few different sizes of clothes for baby since we didn't know what size he'd be. Beyond that I don't really remember anything else that we specifically needed. 
  • Options
    Just wanted to bump this up as im going through and writing some things down :-) 
  • Options
    For pajamas I rock oversized T-shirt’s and old unmatched pants but one thing I’m packing is an actual pj set. I’ll upsize for comfort but plan on getting a set with a button down top that I can use a nursing bra or nursing tank under. It’ll be convenient for attempting to breast feed and I’ll be more comfortable in a top and bottom than a gown. 
  • Options
    @ktmaesim can you just come fly to maryland and pack mine for me? 
  • Options
    I bought a pair of joggers from Old Navy which I want to live in. These will be going in my bag, probably as coming home pants. Unless I buy a second pair then they will be my pjs and coming home pants! For my daughter I wore a nursing gown, but I think I may be too cold this time. 
  • Options
    @ashorkey great idea about old navy! I have been wondering where I’ll get a good COMFORTABLE and cheap-ish set of PJs for hospital and for after birth to lounge in. That sounds Ike a good idea. I haven’t loved anything from motherhood or pea in the pod, it’s all way too “maternity” and girly for me

Also scored a pair of joggers at Aerie that are made out of that material that feels like a cloud - SO SOFT. I know I’ll wear them at hospital or after as well
  • Options
    I feel like I’m promoting this company with everything, Bras, underwear and now pj’s. Check these out if you’re looking for nursing pj’s to wear at the hospital. I can wear the top with no bra and I still feel supported, also the material is very soft. These will be in my hospital bag. 

https://www.kindredbravely.com/collections/nursing-pajamas/products/davy-maternity-nursing-pajamas-navy-blue?variant=20200487059552
  • Options
    @ktmaesim oh good to know about aerie too! I couldn’t find my joggers over the weekend (they were in the laundry) and I almost had a melt down over it. My husband was like “just wear your other pants.” I wanted to respond so badly with “ uh. I don’t think you understand. These pants are currently life.” 
  • Options
    For me:
    Nursing tanks
    soft pajama bottoms
    robe
    flip flops for the shower
    my personal shampoo and conditioner 
    slippers with bottom sole 
    extra ponytails 
    chapstick 
    my own pillow
    my own couch blanket from home

• Options
    @cwalks I love that you called it your couch blanket bc that’s exactly what mine is too 😂
  • Options
    I.....have not bothered to pack a bag or even think about it because I'm walking across the street to deliver 🤣.  I haven't done my hospital tour yet either,  I guess I should by now.  I am pretty sure my hospital boots you out pretty quick so I don't expect to be there very long provided no complications. 
  • Options
    @bookworm982  I'm in the exact same boat! I live across the street pretty much, I could walk to my delivery, do I still need all this stuff? I'm wondering. But also I know it'd be scary to randomly start having heavy contractions while my husband ran home to get me my iPad oR shampoo....so I might just pack a small bag of essentials of what I think we will actually use. Not planning on lots of stuff because he can easily run home to get stuff if we forgot. 
  • Options
    @bookworm492 and @ktmaesim I would pack what you want during labor at least.  It was a rare moment I was ok with DH not being in the room.  Most of the time I made him text updates to waiting family even though they were in the waiting room.  And I labored awhile.  And also I tend to overpack lol so take that for what it's worth
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:

• Options
    @bookworm492 and @ktmaesim I would pack the essentials for you at least. Also if your hospital does not have a nursery it could be harder for DH to leave. My hospital didn’t have a nursery and DH went home to collect some stuff and I had to wait till my mom came to sit w the baby so I could shower. 
  • Options
    Oh I'm going to bring the basics for sure! I'm just not stressing too hard over it. We aren't going to even tell our families that I'm in labor till it's over (my mother will just panic and she won't be anywhere nearby so why do that to her. And we're not close with his family and don't want them visiting) so there will be no one to update. 
  • Options
    @bookworm492 - That brings up a question I have been wanting to ask but keep forgetting. How many people are telling their loved ones when they are in labor?

I have a big family that is super close. I know a lot of them will want to be there. But my family alone could fill the waiting room and sometimes it takes 20+ hours. I just don't want a bunch of people up there. But they will be hurt if I don't say anything. The only person besides my hubby and doula I would want is my mommy. But she lives 9 hours away and probably wont be able to make it.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Personal preference and plans?