May 2020 Moms

Fit Friday 9/13

How are you feeling this week?

What are you doing to stay active?

Any goals for next week?

Feel free to add anything- nutrition, etc!

Re: Fit Friday 9/13

• How are you feeling this week? I'm okay, tired and a little nauseous.

What are you doing to stay active? Before DS I was a gym 5-6 days a week kind of person. That slowed down a lot and now my goal is 3 times a week. I am going to try to keep that up throughout this pregnancy. I ran on Tuesday and yesterday and did a little lifting. I am actually a little sore today even though I took it easy. I do a yoga class on Sunday's which I love. I do have a question about that for anyone who knows. So I love yoga, and I know that as long as you have been practicing previously it is safe and healthy to continue. I also know some poses aren't safe for pregnant women. Obviously I am not doing any inversions, poses on my stomach, etc. Other than that I am just trying to listen to my body. Does anyone know of any other specific poses I shouldn't be doing? I will join the prenatal yoga class once I hit second tri but unfortunately it isn't allowed before then...

Any goals for next week? Just to continue the 3 workouts a week thing.
  • How are you feeling this week?
    Good! I've been able to stick to my regular workout regimen, but my running pace has slowed down a bit, which is fine by me. So long as I can still go running, I don't care if I can do a 10-minute mile or a 15-minute mile, so long a I'm out there then I'm happy.

My typical workouts look like: 20-30 minutes light running (have backed off on pace quite a bit, see above), followed by 10-15 minutes weight training (mostly legs since I have bad sciatica/piriformis syndrome from sitting at a desk job), and then 15-20 minutes of stretching (mostly yoga-like). I've also added in planks, which I aim to do for 30-60 seconds, with three total planks post-workout, if that makes sense.

Any goals for next week?
    Just to keep up this momentum. As a runner, I get cranky when I can't lace up my shoes and get out there. At this point, I'm happy if I can go running 3 times per week, at minimum.

Tips/Nutrition: I've started adding pumpkin seeds to my morning yogurt, to help me get more iron & zinc. As a pescatarian (nearly a vegetarian at this point, since I can hardly stomach fish now that I'm pregnant), I'm afraid of becoming anemic and want this baby to get its nutrients. Just one small thing I can add to my usual morning breakfast, and thankfully it's tasty and I like it, lol.
    Me: 37 / DH: 41
    Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

• Loading the player...
  • @yodamama Awesome job with the running/work outs! Have you always been a runner? I've had to slow my pace down quite a bit as well. I know the HR below 150 thing isn't essential but I try to follow it anyway. My pace was turtle like by the end of my last pregnancy.  :D 
  • I've been a runner for about ten years now. I used to hate running. I'd joke that the only way you'd catch me running is if there was a clown with a knife chasing me, lol. But, in 2009 I got stationed in Miami Beach, and one of my coworkers was an avid runner and asked me to join her. I figured, why not, at least I'll get outside and go to the beach, lol. After that, we went running three times a week before work, and after a few months she got me to run my first 5K. I joined a running group, and we all signed up to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon together in 2012. I was so hooked on racing after that. I've done 8 half marathons, numerous 5Ks and 10Ks, and did a 200-mile relay race in 2015 which was super cool but I'll never do that again, lol.

• How are you feeling this week? I'm only 4w so still feeling not pregnant. Hoping that continues for a while...

What are you doing to stay active? I exercise nearly every day, alternating running and a Jillian Michaels weight-based workout (I did take today off, though.) With my last pregnancy I had to give up exercise in my first tri because of morning sickness; I don't want that to happen again. We do belong to a Y with a pool so I will at least make myself swim if I can't do anything else. 

Any goals for next week? Just keep doing what I'm doing.
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• @yodamama Wow, that's great! I bet the Disney Princess half was super fun. It is definitely addicting. I say the same thing about long distance running as you do about the relay lol. I did a marathon in 2014 and it was a one and done thing, never again. I have friends who do the long relay races like Ragnar and they always ask me to join but every time I've either been pregnant or had a newborn, etc. I haven't been super bummed about it.  :D

@catem07 I used to do Jillian Michaels yoga meltdown all the time and loved it! 

• How are you feeling this week? I am feeling great, not many symptoms yet. I do seem to get short of breath easier though

What are you doing to stay active? Nothing except for housework and chasing my toddler.  :D

Any goals for next week? I would like to get some light exercise in, walking or some minor stuff at home.

As for nutrition, I am really focusing on that. I had some ground venison that we had added the ground liver into and cooked that up and have been eating that all week in the form of tacos and spaghetti. I put in spinach for the folate with the spaghetti. I am also trying to get in my fermented foods for probiotics. I found this amazing dill pickle sauerkraut that I have been eating with my sweet potato, avocado and egg breakfasts. I have been trying to up my fatty fish and seafood, so I've been eating some smoked salmon and have scallops for tonight! I had my blood drawn the other morning (non fasting) and I ate an avocado with lemon and salt on it to up my electrolytes and drank a ton of water. I need to for sure get more leafy greens and veggies into my diet right now.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @yodamama That is so cool how you got into running! I bet the Disney half marathon was fun. I've never liked running either, but got into it before DD and then out of it after.

@catem07 @rachelg777 I used to do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred all the time! I was pretty active before DD, but after my health went down hill and haven't been active since. I would like to get back into some of the Jillian Michaels things.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @m6agua tell me more about this dill pickle sauerkraut.... Also you are inspiring me to attempt to add some more essentials into my diet.
  • m6aguam6agua member
    edited September 2019
    Here is the brands website, although it looks like they recently updated their packaging.
    https://www.farmhouseculture.com/kraut/garlic-dill-pickle

This is what it has looked like when I buy it. I live in the midwest and I find it at Fresh Thyme, I haven't actually looked at target. I eat about 2-3 tablespoons in the morning on its own.
    https://www.target.com/p/farmhouse-culture-organic-vegan-garlic-dill-pickle-kraut-16oz/-/A-53437264?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Grocery%2BShopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Grocery&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=1016418&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1247077&ds_rl=1246978&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrpai6_3N5AIVgcBkCh2c9wSzEAQYASABEgLbD_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

ETA: Since my health issues started 3 years ago, I haven't been able to exercise and pretty much just focused on diet and am still trying to figure out what works for me. I've learned so much though. I typically try to follow a Paleo/Whole30 style diet. I ultimately want it to be more of a plant focused diet while still eating small-moderate portions of sustainably sourced meats, like 4-ish ounces per meal.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @m6agua that looks so tasty! Your link tells me it is at two stores nearby so I may have to try it out. Thanks! It sounds like you are doing well with figuring out what type of diet is best for you, it's something I'm still working on as well. I just struggle to meal prep...
  • @rachelg77 ME TOO! Ugh, it's like I will do great one day and it keeps us well for a few days. Then something happens, like plans or fatigue or needing to focus on the house and we end up eating out and not so great way too much.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @m6agua - I can definitely relate to feeling too fatigued to cook. We order in far more often than we would like to. I hate that Postmates/Grubhub are so convenient! It also leads to massive overspending, too. :( But, the Indian food we got delivered last week was so damn good, I have zero regrets. I want more.

• How are you feeling this week?
    Exhausted. Haha. The first trimester is hard. 

I had a friend meet me at the Y today and we did the indoor bikes. It was a surprisingly good workout but I was out of breath. 

Any goals for next week?
    I want to try to make it to the gym MWF while my oldest is in half day preschool. I feel so much better when I do the gym—it is definitely my me time. Just staying active this pregnancy is important to me. I also want to start doing some of the spinning babies workouts—I always say I’m going to start as soon as I get pregnant and then I wait until I’m like 30 weeks and super uncomfortable to try. My goal this pregnancy is to take better care of my body. 

Feel free to add anything- nutrition, etc!
    Whole30 works really well for us and I think I’m going to move our diet back in that direction. The biggest thing is planning out lunches when I have sudden food aversions, usually. 

@rachelg777 yoga is one of my favorite things to do at home. I usually just stick to the very basics and the stretching workouts when I’m pregnant. There are also some pregnant videos on YouTube that I’ve used before. 

@yodamama wow. I’m impressed by your running. I still hate running, and I hated it just as much a decade ago when I worked myself up to running 5 miles a day. Lol. 

@catem07 I’m with you on the quitting working out last time in the first trimester because I was so sick. I hope both of us keep it up. 

@m6agua do you have any favorite Whole30 recipes? I’m always looking for new recommendations. 

@pirateduck I’ll have to check out YogaTX. I do a lot of Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube. I think taking a season off from snowboarding is a good idea. I love that you go hiking with your dog—my blood pressure tends to drop unexpectedly during pregnancy so that’s my only recommendation, maybe take a snack or some Gatorade with you just in case. :smile:
  • @mdfarmchick
    I like yoga with Adrienne too, YogaTX uses several instructors, but Cole Chance is my favorite.
  • Here is that breakfast I’ve been eating lately!

coffee with almond milk (I usually use coconut creamer but I was out), GF toast with Kite Hill DF chive cream cheese, eggs, bacon, avocado. Sweet potatoes and dill pickle sauerkraut!

TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019