November 2019 Moms
Options

Glucose Challenge

We are all starting to get in the gestational diabetes testing zone which means many of will be taking the Glucose Challenge!! This thread will support people as they get ready, answer questions any one might have about what the challenge is, and be a starting place for support as individuals are diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. Here are some questions to kick us off:

How far along are you/EDD:

Are you scheduled for glucose testing yet:

Any experience with taking the challenge in the past?

How does your office do testing? (I.e. 1 hour followed by 3 hour; 2 hour; or just 3 hour?)

If you had to pick a flavor to drink, which one would you grab?

Any advice for people getting ready to take the challenge?

Questions/Concerns about the challenge?

Re: Glucose Challenge

• Options

How far along are you/EDD: 15 weeks/ Nov 18

Are you scheduled for glucose testing yet: not yet, I have no idea when they will schedule me to do it. 

Any experience with taking the challenge in the past? Yes, for me it doesn't taste bad and it doesn't make me feel bad either. 

How does your office do testing? (I.e. 1 hour followed by 3 hour; 2 hour; or just 3 hour?) Start with the 1 hour

If you had to pick a flavor to drink, which one would you grab? Orange because it tastes like Fanta. 

Any advice for people getting ready to take the challenge? Maybe don't eat something full of carbs before the test. 

Questions/Concerns about the challenge? None for now. 
  • Options
    gumby22cgumby22c member
    edited May 2019
    How far along are you/EDD: 15w5d, 11/15

Are you scheduled for glucose testing yet: yes, in 2 weeks.

Any experience with taking the challenge in the past? Yes, I failed both 1 and 3 hour test in my last pregnancy. I also had to take the 3hr (and passed) as part of my fertility bloodwork last fall. It doesnt make me sick, which is good considering how often I've taken it!

How does your office do testing? (I.e. 1 hour followed by 3 hour; 2 hour; or just 3 hour?) 1 hour, followed by 3 hour if I fail.

If you had to pick a flavor to drink, which one would you grab? I didnt mind the fruit punch flavor I had the first time. It just tasted like flat Hawaiian Punch.

Any advice for people getting ready to take the challenge? Try not to stress over the results. I was so shocked, upset and stressed when I got told I had GD. It'll all work out and you'll get a handle on the diet, it's just overwhelming at first for many!

Questions/Concerns about the challenge? No, but it'd be great to not be diagnosed this time. I plan to continue to eat low carb even if I pass though. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How far along are you/EDD: 17+3, 11/3

Are you scheduled for glucose testing yet: nope, but I think last time I did it at 24w, so I'll probably schedule it at my next appointment

Any experience with taking the challenge in the past? Yes I took it last pregnancy. I honestly didn't find it terrible, although the drink was not enjoyable. 

How does your office do testing? (I.e. 1 hour followed by 3 hour; 2 hour; or just 3 hour?) 1 hour, then if you fail you have to do the 3.

If you had to pick a flavor to drink, which one would you grab? I've only taken it once, and I had the orange, which I'll go for again. 

Any advice for people getting ready to take the challenge? Bring stuff to do... I only had my phone and I got bored really quick. This time I'll bring my computer and probably work. I can't remember why on earth I didn't do that last time.

Questions/Concerns about the challenge? n/a
  • Options
    blg116blg116 member
    15+5

I took it already, super early apparently? I took the initial screen at 12 weeks, the one hour test at 13 weeks, and the 3 hour at the end of 13/beginning of 14 weeks.

Nope, ftm over here. 

How does your office do testing? (I.e. 1 hour followed by 3 hour; 2 hour; or just 3 hour?)
    I'm not sure of their standard protocol, but I had a 1 hour followed by a 3 hour. 

I didn't get a choice, but the one I had tasted just like orange crush which I like, soo... it wasn't bad.

Not really, seems like most people know how boring it is waiting. 

I'm just kinda curious why I did mine so early, everyone else seems to be waiting til the halfway mark. 
  • Options
    @angieeeeee that's interesting that as a FTM with no indication that you may have diabetes that they made you take it so early. I think standard is 24-26 weeks, which is what I did last time.

Do you have a heavy family history of diabetes by chance? I know it's pretty prevalent in my family (especially in the men), but even then I didnt have to take it early last time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    blg116blg116 member
    @gumby22c nope, no diabetes on my side as far as I know. There is on my husbands side, but that wouldn't affect me, so idk. I'm not sure if it's just part of my doctors standard initial screening, and my sugar levels were high so they just went with it or what. 
  • Options
    @angieeeeee I suppose if your first trimester blood screen showed an increased risk of diabetes with your hemoglobin then maybe they wanted to do it early. They should have explained it to you though 🤷🏼‍♀️

How far along are you/EDD: 16w2d/ Nov 11

Are you scheduled for glucose testing yet: not yet

Any experience with taking the challenge in the past? Yes, this will be my 3rd time. the drink is fine but I get nauseous from the high sugar.

How does your office do testing? (I.e. 1 hour followed by 3 hour; 2 hour; or just 3 hour?) 1 hour and then if you fail, you do a 3 hour. I’ve never had to do the 3 hr

If you had to pick a flavor to drink, which one would you grab? I’ve had the orange one and the lime. I’d pick the orange over the lime any day. I’ve never had the fruit punch one but I bet it’s “good”

1. Bring something to do while you wait. A book, a game on your phone, knitting, and try not to bring you other kiddos if you can. If you start to feel bad, let someone know and they will usually let you lay down somewhere.
    2. Check with your OB if it’s suppose to be done fasting. Some places want you fasted and others don’t care. If you have to be fasted, make your appt as early in the morning as you can!

Im a little concerned about taking the test this time because I’ve noticed an increased reaction to sweets lately so I can imagine how I will feel with such a high concentration of sugar in the drink on an empty stomach.
  • Options
    How far along are you/EDD: 14+4/ 11/23

Are you scheduled for glucose testing yet: Tomorrow at 9am!

Any experience with taking the challenge in the past? Yes. My doctors office only does a 2 hour test (3 draws from start to finish) and last time I passed the first two draws and the third and final I hit right on the cut off number. So if I was supposed to be under 130 I was exactly at 130.

How does your office do testing? (I.e. 1 hour followed by 3 hour; 2 hour; or just 3 hour?) Only the 2 hour. I thought it was weird the first time around because they are the only doctors office Ive heard of that does it that way.

If you had to pick a flavor to drink, which one would you grab? I liked the orange. Drank it down like a shot. Get it chilled if possible. I just thought it tasted like a flat Jones soda.

Any advice for people getting ready to take the challenge? Early morning scheduling since often they want you to fast (check with your office to find out). Know that on an empty stomach that the sugar can make you feel nauseous and light headed. Bring a snack that you can eat as soon as it is over. Bring lots of stuff to do including books to read or your computer or some music. It can get boring.

Questions/Concerns about the challenge? Just support for anyone getting diagnosed. It sucks a lot but if you work with your doctor you can find what works best for you and keep both you and baby healthy. I truly was much healthier in the second half of my pregnancy than the first because of the diagnosis. I took better care of myself for sure. Also, because I had the diagnosis I got a really awesome scan from MFM and the twice a weekly NSTs were helpful on my anxious brain. Plus those NSTs found out my sweet pea wasnt moving as much and had stopped growing and we found out quickly it was time to get her out. I do credit my GD diagnosis and follow up with getting my girl safely here.
  • Options
    @purplefan1 Do they know why she stopped growing? What is the cause of that? I'm so glad they caught it in time to save her. 
  • Options
    My placenta was small and not keeping up with her anymore. At least thats what I remember them saying.
  • Options
    Question: I did not do the glucose drink with my first pregnancy, did anyone else opt out before? My dr. approved me eating jelly beans before the bloodwork last time and all was fine.  Hoping to do the same again since I can’t handle sugar like that at any time, nevermind when nauseas and migraine prone.
  • Options
    @rogro118 I have had to drink it during every pregnancy. The last time I took it they gave it to me to take home and I drank it before coming to the appointment which was nice. 
  • Options
    @rogro118 here are some options I found. I think some providers will be more open to options than others. Hopefully yours will work with you! (Copied and pasted from birthfit.com)

Are there alternatives to the glucola drink?

It is common to hear from care providers that there is “no way around it.”  I have had conversations with OBs and midwives on why they say this and many believe there should not be an alternative to the glucola test because the values that are used to screen gestational diabetes were determined based on the glucola drink.  While studies looking at consuming the same amount of sugar have been done and theoretically allow the same results (see below) there is a chance the results could be misinterpreted since the test is standardized.

Many mamas may have hesitations with this test because of what is the drink contains (see above).  While you do have a right to determine what you put in your body and what kind of tests you have done to your body, if you do not want to take the glucose challenge test, I encourage you to investigate the alternatives, make an informed decision, and talk to your care provider about what you would like to do.  

Jelly beans: 28-jelly beans contain the equivalent amount of glucose as the glucola drink.  A study from 1999 looked at the efficacy of this as an alternative. The findings showed there were no significant differences between the two glucose sources and women reported less side effects with the jelly beans (2).  There are organic jelly beans and jelly beans with natural coloring that can be used as an alternative.

50g of sugar from other foods/drinks:  some care providers will let you consume a special meal that they approve as an alternative (some include juice, pancakes with maple syrup, or soda).  This varies by care provider and in some areas is becoming less popular as an alternative.

Two-week food diary + blood sugar test:  this alternative is one that I see many providers and their patients leaning towards.  Patients keep a food diary for two weeks and test their blood sugar using diabetes test strips when they wake up (fasted state) and two hours after each meal.  Some women enjoy this test because they’re interested in looking at the numbers themselves and others find this type of testing a nuisance.

• Options
    blg116blg116 member
    @ameliabird811 honestly they may have explained it, but I've been the worst for retaining information about being pregnant. I think in the beginning I was still just so rattled by it, and now that I've come around to the idea it's been easier to pay attention to the doctor. Thank God my husband and my bff have both gone to all my appointments and can keep track of what's happening.

@purplefan1 I thought it tasted like a flat orange crush. Everyone told me how gross it was going to be and to chug, so I was expecting something more like hummingbird sugar water lol. I didn't mind it too much.

• Options
    I just did my 2 hour challenge. I used my glucometer from my last pregnancy to test at the same time as the draws. My fasting glucose was high at 101 but my two other draws seemed good if my meter is to be trusted. 95 at the 1st hour and 91 at the 2nd. So we will see what the doctor says about the fasting one. I had the most trouble with my fasting number during my last pregnancy. I should know some time next week.
  • Options
  • Options

15 weeks tomorrow!!

no.

Yes, but at a different office for my previous pregnancy, so not sure how different it is. It was really not as bad as I was expecting, as far as medically necessary drinks go, lol.

How does your office do testing? (I.e. 1 hour followed by 3 hour; 2 hour; or just 3 hour?) No clue yet!

I'm not sure, no preference I guess 

It's been a while so I forget about how the actual process was but I remember it not being as bad as I had read/heard. I also recently had a 'refresher' with the drink because the US tech gave me some watered down to get baby moving for NT. If it's cold, it's not great or terrible just is what it is. (Also seems to be different for everyone) 🤷

I guess I'm just wondering how this new practice does things since it hasn't been discussed yet, and there seems to be a few methods.
  • Options
    kj17-2kj17-2 member
    How far along are you/EDD: 11/17

Are you scheduled for glucose testing yet: Not yet

Any experience with taking the challenge in the past? I did it with my first pregnancy and passed.

How does your office do testing? 1-hour test; if you fail, you do the 3-hour test.

If you had to pick a flavor to drink, which one would you grab? I didn't get a choice last time, so I'm curious about you all talking about different flavors. People told me it would taste disgusting, but it wasn't bad at all.

Any advice for people getting ready to take the challenge? I thought I had plenty of time to drink it. (Is it 5 min? I forget.) It seemed like plenty of time, so I was casually drinking it. Then I realized I had 1 min left and ended up chugging most of it, which wasn't fun. So pace yourself and use the whole time.

Also, my office scheduled my glucose test, then doctor check-up, then the blood draw. So I wasn't just sitting and waiting for an hour like others have talked about. 

Questions/Concerns about the challenge? Just hoping I pass the test. I should be eating better, but I've had all-day, terrible morning sickness, and it seems like all I could keep down were bagels and popsicles. Definitely planning healthier meals now that I feel a little better.
  • Options
    How far along are you/EDD: 17 weeks today / Nov 8th

Are you scheduled for glucose testing yet: Not yet.  I seem to remember it around the beg. of the 3rd trimester

Any experience with taking the challenge in the past? Yes  - I am terrible at giving blood and not eating during that one hour after immense amounts of sugar is not good for me.  I passed out while they were drawing blood.

Fun fact, do this in your lab while pregnant and alarms sound, nurses are called.  Oi.  I was put in a wheelchair and given a private room where I had to stay and eat crackers and drink water (they tried to give me juice and I was like please no more sugar) while they checked on my blood pressure every 10 minutes until I could leave an hour after the 'end' of my test

How does your office do testing? (I.e. 1 hour followed by 3 hour; 2 hour; or just 3 hour?) 1 hour and then a 3 if you fail.

If you had to pick a flavor to drink, which one would you grab? I have only had orange for my last 2.  I would love essentially ANY other flavor as I hate citrus.  Definitely asked for chilled if they have it.  

I was told to eat whole grain toast since I was a point under passing my first pregnancy and I had no problem passing the second time aside from the whole fainting fiasco.  

Definitely bring water, something to do and potentially a person to drive you home if you know you are dizzy after sugar and blood draws.

Questions/Concerns about the challenge? Yes, aside from getting an IV in the hospital this is literally my least favorite pregnancy test.  So no questions, just concerns about how I going to do and get through it this time around.
  • Options
    @kj17-2 my office gives me the choice between orange and fruit punch. Also, I down that thing like Im getting one last drink in at the bar. Both times Ive finished before the nurse has turned around. I dont mind it at all, especially when it is chilled.

Also, if any of you want to stay entertained during your wait, ill let you borrow my toddler. In the middle of a conversation with another mom doing the same test my tiny person decided it was a great time to just pull down her skirt and underwear. No.Clue.Why. She also had us go on a hunt for skittles during the second hour wait, so that took up some time. We wont discuss the disappointment when the skittles were out and she had to settle for m&ms. The trials and tribulations of being 3.
  • Options
    LMAO on the first read I thought you meant that your daughter pulled the other ladies skirt down 😂  Toddlers make great company for long waits for sure and she sounds like a piece of work
  • Options
    @angieeeeee haha I get it. My OB is very charming and I honestly forget things he’s told me or things I was suppose to ask because I get all twitterpated 😂😂
  • Options
    How far along are you/EDD: 16 weeks, 5 days. 11/11/2019

Are you scheduled for glucose testing yet:  Already took it at 14 weeks and failed with flying colors! 

Any experience with taking the challenge in the past? Took both the one hour and three hour with my first.  Was diagnosed at 25 weeks with GD.

How does your office do testing? (I.e. 1 hour followed by 3 hour; 2 hour; or just 3 hour?) Typically 1 hour followed by the 3 hour, but I failed so miserably so early they just moved ahead with the early GD diagnosis this time.

If you had to pick a flavor to drink, which one would you grab? Ha- not sure all the options but the orange I had this time wasn't so bad.

Any advice for people getting ready to take the challenge?   That's why I'm filling this out! I was pretty hard on myself/worried both times I got the diagnosis and I worried a lot about the test.  I'm here to tell you that in the worst case scenario, and you are diagnosed, it will be ok.  I'm here to swap recipes with and while it stinks not to eat everything you want, it is also a nice way to remind myself to be healthy and monitor weight gain.  Pre-pregnancy I have NO issues with diabetes and I have no risk factors- not even family history.  I tell myself that my babies are just extra sweet :).  

Questions/Concerns about the challenge?  Please reach out to me if you have questions about the test (I think I researched and asked every question possible to make sure I gave myself the best chance to pass) or if you do get diagnosed and want a buddy.  The first time around I was diet controlled, and this time I was upgraded to insulin.  I'm happy to be an ear or help in any way I can.  
  • Options
    @ABabyMarshall dying at the thought of her pulling someone elses pants down. She definitely tried to depants me in church recently. Shes kinda a weirdo some times.

@amyjay23 you sound like you have such an amazing outlook on the diagnosis!! You are going to be a great asset as others get in on this journey. Of the things that can be diagnosed in pregnancy, i personally found the GD diagnosis to not be as bad as I had thought. It definitely helped keep me healthy throughout the end! And it sounds like you do just have really sweet babies.  ;-)   tell that placenta of yours to calm the hell down.

Pretty soon we will be starting a monthly check in for GD and cant wait to have you on there!
  • Options
    @purplefan1

I will absolutely be there!  It really does help me stay much healthier than I would be otherwise.  Don't get me wrong, though.  I can whine a lot too.  Super placenta... maybe my baby will have super powers... 
    I agree with you about the diagnosis being one of the better things to have happen to you.  Thinking of you and sending you low sugar vibes in the weeks to come.  
  • Options
    How far along are you/EDD: 16+5 11/11

Nope, probably won't get one. My fasting came back elevated a month ago (A1c was great though) so they set me up with a meter. Fastings are elevated, after meals are golden. So, it looks like I am being diagnosed with it again this time. Glad I got checked between pregnancies so I know it is the placenta again.   Been on the GD diet for a month already.  They said that 2nd time through you have a higher likilihood and numbers tend to rise faster, plus AMA increases risk. meds of some kind are probably in my future.  Just hoping that catching it early means good outcomes for the pregnancy.  My 1st had a big old head and was a big baby, numbers were well controlled so likely genetic and not the GD but if starting early increases my chances of VBAC that would be a nice bonus.

Yes, took it last time. Just barely failed. I took it very hard last time, really emotional and self-stigmatizing. My OB  was very supportive and addressed the stigma.  I controlled with diet most of the pregnancy last time, but ended up on glyburide for the last bit as morning numbers wouldn't budge. She also reassured me that I did everything right when I felt guilty about ending up with a c-section. 

They skip right to the 2-hour as the 1-hour has a lot of false positives and the 2-hour is the evidence based recommendation.

Eh, I have only lemon-lime. It tastes like flat sprite.

Just follow the directions and try not to stress.  You cannot control if you have it. Whether you get diagnosed or not, if you have it, you have it.  So, what you want is an accurate diagnosis. GD doesn't have symptoms and people of all body sizes and diets get it. 

If you have it, it is mostly an inconvenience but you manage it.  But you do *want* to know and want to manage it! Undiagnosed/untreated GD can have serious consequences.  The inconvenience is so much better than a NICU stay (or worse).

Occasionally on these boards people try to find ways to "hack" or "cheat" the test - like taking a walk between draws. It really steams me to see that.  Yes, with GD you have to prick your finger and change your diet, you get NST's at the end and they are time consuming.   Better that than what those precautions are designed to avoid!

Questions/Concerns about the challenge

Nope
  • Options
    @drama_llama fasting numbers were my roughest ones last time too. I had a little more luck when I started peanut butter and graham crackers at bedtime on recommendation from MFM but even then I was creeping steadily towards the upper limit of the fasting number. That would drive me crazy because it felt like the only one I had little to no control over. Even though I passed this time, starting to modify diet now knowing that I likely wont pass in another 10 weeks. (AMA and previous diagnosis as well). I agree, I have seen threads where people cheated the test or just flat out refused. Even my family was arguing my diagnosis when I only failed by one cut off number. I tried to keep telling them I would rather err on the side of caution and just assume I had GD and follow the diet then mess around with it and have bad results. I mean, there is literally nothing wrong with following a lower carb diet (if you have needle phobias I do get that. But also, you are about to have a baby and needles are involved in that whole process. Talk to a therapist about the phobia now so it is easier by time L&D comes).

Also, I get frustrated by people who get the diagnosis and blow off doctors recommendations.  One of my peers actually laughed at me when I was measuring things and sending in my numbers weekly. She said she never bothered to send in her numbers and half the time wouldnt take them. She always ate fast food for lunch and then dosed herself with more insulin. Drove me nuts that she seemed so flippant about it.
  • Options
    I have never seen anyone not take it serious. Although, I have never been diagnosed so I usually don't lurk those threads. That blows my mind that anyone would want to cheat the test. That isn't putting what best for your baby first. 
  • Options
    @drama_llama You and I are one in the same! Second pregnancy, early diagnosis for me. My fasting numbers were high too. 

Here if you ever ever want to talk recipes or GD hacks. Sending you lots of love! 
  • Options
    I had my glucose screening yesterday 🤮 I was only given one choice of drink...it wasn’t bad! But it made me so nauseous and lightheaded. Really hoping I pass!! 🤞🏽 
  • Options
    @mc0303 - Fingers crossed!! I have mine coming up soon.  I am dreading it. 
  • Options
    @Dancer688 thank you!! Good luck on yours!!
  • Options
    Welp I failed the one hour. Hoping I pass the 3 hour like I did when they checked me early on.
  • Options
    I took the 3 hour today.  Pretty sure it's just legal torture.  Let's give pregnant women who feel sick after eating sugar a pure sugar drink on an empty stomach and then stab her in the arms 4 times while making her wait around in the lobby.  Fingers crossed for you!
  • Options
    @lark2013 - Lol - agreed.  Hope you pass!

@angieeeeee - Oh no! Fingers crossed for the next one.  When is that scheduled?
  • Options
    BNBTBNBT member
    I'm still waiting on my results, my office is so slow with letting you know.

@angieeeeee hopefully you pass the 3 hour again! That's terrible to have to take it twice!
  • Options
    Good luck to all waiting on results and to all who have/had to take the three hour! I'm waiting to have my blood drawn for the 1 hour. They said they'll only call me if I fail though which is kinda annoying. I can probably look up the results on my portal though.
  • Options
    Good luck everyone!! I did my 1-hour at Quest (my office doesn't do bloodwork) on a Friday morning and had results back by Sunday night - my doc messaged me. It was a pretty quick turnaround. 
  • Options
    @dancer688 I dont have to work monday so I'm going in then.