February 2020 Moms
Options

Nursery, Nesting & Decorating Thread

Put all of your great ideas here! Ask for feedback, ideas, etc! 

Here are some questions to get started-
- What have you done to "nest" and get ready for baby?
- Are you already shopping or holding off? 
- What color schemes / themes are you considering for the nursery?
- Are there any crafty ideas you have and what are the chances of them actually getting done? HAHA
Me: 38, DH: 36 
Married Jan 2008 
DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

Re: Nursery, Nesting &amp; Decorating Thread

• Options
    @craftywitch - I think that navy blue bunkbeds could definitely work for a boy/girl combo. Especially if you turned it into a "starry night" or similar. 
    Married Jan 2008 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Since my house is currently framed with no real walls......I can’t actually do anything and it’s driving me bananas. If we were already in, I’d be pulling out all of the old baby stuff and reorganizing.  I want to do all the baby things right now. So, til then, I’m following for fun. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Options
    @kiwi2628 -wow I LOVE your nursery - so pretty. I flirted with the idea of switching Bells to the third bedroom and painting it pink per her request, especially because her room is right next to ours so better for late night visits, but as the older child myself I do not think it would be fair to put the older child in the smaller room. 
    Married Jan 2008 

• Options
    No nesting yet. The nursery is currently H's office and the closet is mine. H is going to have to make room for me in the master closet and remove all his stuff from the office, especially the gazillion prizes and awards he got. I call this room his professional shrine  :D
    I already picked the color for the nursery. I wanted something neutral but didn't want to do a gray as it is a dominant color in my house right now. I also want to keep a simple color palette throughout the house as I am painting more rooms. I picked the same color as the 2 bathrooms in the house: Benjamin Moore Oyster Shell. I think it will look totally different in a room with a window.
    Right now Target has a lot of baby clearance and I am tempted but it is still pretty early. Plenty of time to change my mind. And I hope I get most of it at my shower.  :p 
    TTC#1
    10/2018: MFI (2 SA under 9 million/ml)
    11/2018: HSG shows right Fallopian tube slightly damaged 
    1/2019: Husband diagnosed with grade 3 varicocele
    4/05/2019: varicocele repair surgery
    6/13/2019: BFP!!! EDD: 2/22/2020 <3  Baby girl born 2/27/2020
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2
    9/07/2021: BFP - CP: 9/10/2021
    10/07/2021: BFP - CP: 10/23/2021
    12/23/2021: BFP! EDD: 08/31/2022

• Options
    @kiwi2628 I love your nursery!! And your wall color looks really similar to BM Oyster Shell! Where did you get your crib? I love it!
    TTC#1
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2

• Options
    Sadly, I can't do anything for a nursery until we move next May (yay one bedroom apartments, boo for such a long wait). 
    I'm in love with the idea of a baby elephant themed nursery though! I've got a whole pinterest board dedicated to decor ideas! I've been waiting on buying anything baby related just to make sure we get through everything okay. 
  • Options
    @leksiL I LOVE the starry night theme idea! That'd be perfect for the age gap... I'm not a great decorator so I'm going to have to defer to Pinterest for how to put any kind of theme in place. So far all I've got is 'purchase bunk/crib'.

I am already shopping, although I predominantly shop thrift, so whenever I find organic cotton gender neutral things for $0.50 on Saturdays I scoop them up. I probably have enough NB & 0-3m clothes, but they're all plain white onesies or grey/yellow Burt's Bees. We also have newborn cloth diapers ready, but we could use a few more to replace a few that died. I'm planning to refresh what I've already got with some gender specific clothes and diapers as soon as we find out. I picked up my free baby box (which will be the bassinet) and have started folding all the baby stuff and putting it in there so I can admire my little stash.

As far as crafts go I plan to knit a bunch of socks for this baby (socks are my favorite thing to knit), at least 1 hat, and at least 1 sweater once we find out gender. I'll probably also sew some bibs and burp cloths and knot hats and pants as they're the easiest and cheapest to make. If it's a girl I'll probably sew a boatload of bow headbands since all her clothes will be grey/white LOL.
  • Options
    therealbittstherealbitts member
    edited August 2019
    I’m toying with the idea of a floral wall decal. I want it to be really girly, since I have three boys and am tired of boy themed nurseries. But, I also don’t want it to be seizure inducing. 

• Options
    Depending on the gender the room will be kind of themed different. We are Jeep people and go off-roading. We got engaged and conceived this sweet little baby both on our off-roading trips lol. SOOO it's only fair to have a Jeep themed nursery, but tasteful! 

If we have a boy there will be a Jeep grill on the wall and I'll make some cool stuff and/or paint surrounding it. I kind of decided I want it to have a "mechanic" theme since DH is a mechanic. But update the dressers to look like Snap-On tool boxes and whatnot. 

For a girl I plan on white-washing a Jeep grill and then having some florals coming from it. Definitely will have more of a boho theme and want to have some deep greens, burgundy, golds, etc.
    TW
    BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
    Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's
  • Options
    @kiwi2628 where did you get the shelves/cubbies that the changing pad is on? I want to do something similar this time. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I’m anxious to find out gender so I can throw myself into decorating a nursery. We have two boys so if it’s a girl it’s going to be nauseously girly lol Weneed to empty out the bedroom and closet. It’s a giant junk room right now and is a bit overwhelming. We also need to rip out the very 90s carpet and paint the walls. The boys rooms are both a very  light gray with lighter wood floors so we will do the same in this room. 
  • Options
    @rikiteacup Babyletto!

@AugustGlass It’s actully ikea. And the changing place is the beeest. It’s the kekerooni peanut and doesn’t require a changing pad and fits my 97th percentile length 10 month old easily and wipes clean. It’s the greatest. 
  • Options
    I can't wait to find out the gender so I can get the ball rolling on the nursery. Plus the room that we are using is literally our catch all, and is FULL. So we have to empty it before I can even think about what I am going to do in there. But I can't wait to start looking and designing! I had so much fun doing it when I was pregnant with my daughter. 
  • Options
    @rikiteacup Bahahah! YES! 😂
    TW
  • Options
    *lurking*

@lanie1000 could you tell me where your changing dresser is from? it looks like a good size: not too wide or tall, I just need something small and I love that one!
  • Options
    @lanie1000 Thank you so much!!! Honestly I don’t know... I personally would say the guests can sleep somewhere else lol. But I don’t see it being a problem with sharing a room! At the end of the day that’s your call!
    TW
  • Options
    @lanie1000 our oldest is moving from the nursery to the guest room. We are getting rid of the guest room because for the 5 times a year we have guests is not worth it to have ours room together when we don’t have to. We sleep train and having them in the same room would make the baby sleep poorly and the older one sleepy even worse so they get separate rooms and guests can stay in a hotel. 
  • Options
    @lanie1000 Depending on how often you plan to have guests you could always do a guest bed in the nursery and shuffle the baby when visitors come- I’m sure it’d be nice to have a bed to nurse in. We have a 2BR and baby and DS will be sharing. I care more about staying here as long as possible to save money than I do about everyone having their own room. There are tons of adorable toddler/baby room ideas on Pinterest!
  • Options
    @babyroma I'm kinda in the same boat. Our house is not set up to have a nursery. My kids have two bedrooms upstairs (boy and girl) but they are 7 and 9. So moving a little one in their room is unrealistic. They are both in school and I dont want to disrupt their sleep with a crying baby. Our bedroom is small, like an office. It doesnt wven have a closet, we use the one in the Hall. We are hoping to qualify for a home loan before baby boy is born, so we might move. If not, my husband is going to build me a small bassinet/ crib. Ill attach a pic of my room to show how small it is lol. There is the same amount of space on all sides of the bed.
  • Options
    @ktmaesim we got it at BabiesRUs back in 2017 when we were expecting kiddo #1. I thought I could look up the name in case another store has it, but, alas, I was wrong. Good luck in your search! 

@brookert615 @kiwi2628 @craftywitch thanks for your input! I think losing an official guest room might be the best solution, too. A daybed or something small might work for guests in a pinch. 
  • Options
    @lanie1000 another vote for losing the guest room. I got a really comfy fold-out couch for our living room for if we have guests over. We also have a blow up mattress for our playroom if we have a lot of guests over. I don't think it's fair to burden my DD with a crying baby just to accommodate people that come over a few times a year. (Not that I let my baby cry it out but that is a whole other discussion :) )
    Married Jan 2008 

• Options
    @kmj1426 I love your rooms! My cousin just had a baby and had the same floral sheets in her registry from target - super cute! 
    Married Jan 2008 

• Options
    We have a small city place with one bedroom and a den which my husband uses as a home office. We’re toying with making the office into a nursery although it would be quite small as he works from home much less these days. But I like the idea of a home office in the spirit of him helping me out
  • Options
    rikiteacuprikiteacup member
    edited August 2019
    @ktmaesim @lanie1000 Babies R us still exists in Canada. Maybe you can find the name on the Canadian website?

ETA: I think I found it online, not on BabiesRUs. Timber Lake 7-Drawer Dresser by Bertini.
    TTC#1

TTC #2

• Options
    Love seeing what everyone has already and ideas! Waiting on gender here too (and my in-laws are visiting next week so we can't work on the nursery to be until they're gone) but I'm definitely leaning neutral. We just painted our bathroom Sherwin Williams Sea Salt and I LOVE the color, we do have a SW Repose Gray in another bedroom and bathroom too. Not thinking there will be much of a true "theme" but we'll see how things develop :)
  • Options
    I love Mickey Mouse and have so many toys and knick knacks from my childhood room that I want to use in our nursery. My husband keeps giving me side eye every time I suggest it though. 😒
  • Options
    @rikiteacup YES! as soon as I read Bertini it sounded right. Your search skills are amazing. I’m so impressed!!
  • Options
    @Swiftlet oh Sea Salt is so pretty! I was thinking a green tea color but I like this one even better.
    Married Jan 2008 

• Options
    @leksiL it kind of changes based on the lighting - in the bathroom (no window) it's got a really nice blue lean to it :)
  • Options
    @leksiL LOL! I love it with those pink curtains though. And thank goodness for online stores, we have a larger window in our room and regular width curtains wouldn’t nearly cover it- wayfair to the rescue!
  • Options
    @Swiftlet I’m just getting to the nursery stage too- so glad to see this thread re-emerge!