Pregnant after IF

3rd tri check in Month of July

2»

Re: 3rd tri check in Month of July

• Hi everyone!
    @leilee101 Congrats to making it to 30wks. It’s unbelievable that you’ll see your baby in four weeks already. 
    Im counting weeks to that moment too. I decided not to buy a lot of stuff, every time I think about it my head starts spinning. We bought the crib but not the mattress, I got a nice dresser and changing pad that I’ll put on top of it (my cat loves sleeping on it now). Didn’t pick out a car seat yet, I was looking into one with a stroller. But not sure if we need a stroller, we live in the country, so unless I push it in the back yard 😁 One of my colleagues gave me tons of baby clothes....but I still bought some that I really liked. And that’s it. 
    I also decided to forgo the baby shower, we don’t have any family around and do it at work...just doesn’t feel right. 
  • Our week vacation is coming to an end, tomorrow we are flying home. To tell you the truth, I can’t wait. It seems that every bed and pillow is super uncomfortable and I just want to get to my house. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @dukie001
    I felt so overwhelmed by all the baby stuff! The thing we did which helped was to fill out the Amazon registry so you get a handle on everything you might need and browse stuff.

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12733160/favorite-baby-stuff

we talked about our favorite and must have things in this thread awhile back. Might help!

~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• dukie001dukie001 member
    edited July 2019
    @mbradfo2 I read the previous comments, they are definitely helpful 😊 And I also agree that babies don’t really need much - a place to sleep, food, some clothes and diapers. Everything else it’s what we need, more like a want. No wonder that baby industry is a million dollars business.  Out of needs I have to get a good car seat and crib mattress, and rent a hospital grade pump. By the way, how many bottles do I need on average. If everything goes right I want to breastfeed. But again, this is something we can’t really predict. 

• Lurking from 1st tri, but wanted to offer some “wish I’d known the first time around” advice on baby stuff for @leilee101 - what everyone said about baby wearing. I felt sooooo productive because my son loved napping in the wrap. If the moby seems intimidating there’s an under $30 version of the katan on amazon that you don’t need to learn how to wrap (hard to explain but it’s basically wrapped for you already). Some kind of baby lounger (snuggle me, boppy lounger, etc) was a lifesaver for us as was the swing. Our son had colic from about 6 weeks to 5 months and constant motion was the only thing that helped. 

The biggest thing is APNO cream for your nipples though. I am trained in lactation/breastfeeding nursing and I knew BF wouldn’t be easy, but I had NO IDEA how hard it would be and how badly your nipples could hurt. Even with three personal friends who are IBCLCs I had to resort to nipple shields - which were amazing for the first 3 months. Just know that if BF feels like the hardest thing you’ve ever done in life, you aren’t alone and - it won’t feel like it, but it does get easier, eventually. :)
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @poemasque amen sister. BF seems like it should be the most natural/easy thing but I think its one of the hardest things I've done. (though I will say I am a big fan and for me it was worth all the struggles, though I recognize its not for everyone)

@dukie001 as for number of bottles... depending on how often you wash them and if your BF but probably 5-8.... also some kids could care less what kind of bottle you pick and others are super picky. DS could care less, for DD1 it took 8 brands before we found the one she would take.... oh and if you plan to BF there is absolutely no need to go beyond the level 1 nipple (slowest flow) even as the baby gets older. I got the spectra S1 last time around and liked it a lot. They have good customer service if your having problems and the portability is SO nice. plus the charge lasts days even when pumping exclusively.  Also pro tip... you can put your pumping parts in the fridge so you don't have to wash them every time...  
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• bkatpbkatp member
    @leilee101 congratulations on making to 30 weeks. Ones I missed were some baby comforters and diaper changing sheets
  • @dukie001
    We were formula folks so it was bottles all the time. On average, we went through 8 bottles a day (one every 3 hours). But you don't want to buy a bunch initially since baby will like some better than others, so we trialed a few before settling down on our final choice (Avent Anti-colic). For supplementing (or just plain formula feeding), you can also buy prefilled newborn bottles with a reusable nipple. That's what we were using the first week or two. We actually got a couple of them from the hospital.  It was really helpful when we were just trying to figure out the whole baby thing.  (And don't look on Amazon for the price -- their prices are WAAAAY higher. I could buy a case of prefilled newborn bottles at Target 10 dollars. They were also handy to have on the go.)

Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks

TTC #2
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

• @wabash15, @mbradfo2 Thanks. It makes sense then not to stock up on bottles. I’ll probably buy one-two of different type and go from there, see what he prefers and if I can even BF. 
  • @dukie001 if you can find some LC's, they really are amazing and I don't think I would have been successful with my BF journeys without them. I am a huge advocate for seeing them as often as you need. I was/am super lucky that our hospital system has a walk-in BF clinic with LC's and a nurse daily. I went at least twice a week with the twins. 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @wabash15
    @dukie001

I agree - LC's are amazing help for moms! Your pediatrician might have one in their office that you can schedule appointments with -- we do. For me, BF wasn't really an option without risking my own health and stability. I really wanted to give it a go, but I talked about it with my pediatrician before baby arrived and we both agreed that formula was the best option for us. It gave my doctor the flexibility to treat any PPD or PPA that might crop up and I was very very high risk for it -- and after my sister's horrible battle with it, I didn't want to take any chances.
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC

TTC #2

• Hi guys! 
    I had my MFM appointment, the baby is growing 🥰 just fine and getting chunkier. I have another appointment in 3 weeks for biophysical profile. AFM I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. My numbers were not terrible, missed by several points but that was enough. They gave me glucometer, so for two weeks I’ll be monitoring blood sugar and writing it in a journal. Doc didn’t prescribe meds because she thinks since the numbers are slightly elevated I’ll be able to control it with diet. But in two weeks she will re-evaluate. 
    I also found a BF class that is offered by our hospital and they have LC their, so that’s good. 
    How is everyone doing?
  • @dukie001 sorry about the GD diagnosis, but its good your doc thinks you can control it with diet only. Glad you found a BF class and an LC. 

AFM: this naughty minx has decided that staying head down is optional. I saw a different midwife last week and she is much more conservative than the one I usually see. She is pushing for a version followed by induction this week... I am pushing to wait at least another week. Its not that this kid can't/won't go head down so why not give it more time plus I am in no rush to get this kid out... I would prefer if it baked for as long as it wants to. We will see what happens when I meet with my usual MW tomorrow.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @wabash15 how many weeks are you right now? Do you want to try to turn the baby if he is still head up? I know a girl who has done it, it’s pretty simple procedure....at least per her opinion. 
  • @dukie001 I am 38 weeks today. A version is an option but since this kid has been head down and then flipped back, there is no guarantee if we do it that this kiddo will stay that way (without inducing right after the induction). 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @wabash15
    I don't see why your doctor feels that it has to be -this- week. If one does induce in uncomplicated pregnancies, the recommendations as far as I recall were 39 weeks+.  I'd be pushing for another week of baking too.
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC

TTC #2

• @dukie001
    I'm so sorry you were dx'd with GD!! I think you should be able to control it with diet if you were only a few points off. The fun just keeps coming for us ladies, doesn't it?
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC

TTC #2

• mbradfo2 said:
    The fun just keeps coming for us ladies, doesn't it?
    I know right!? 😁 Developing resiliency ladies! 
  • @leilee101 Congrats on making it to 30 weeks! So many ladies have given great advice, and wanted to chime in with a few of mine too.
    With a newborn, you don't need a lot of things. You definitely need a car seat, you won't be able to leave the hospital with your baby without one. You probably don't need to worry about getting a car seat to accommodate a small preemie size, as most hospitals prefer keeping babies until they are at least 5 pounds. And when you bring a car seat to the hospital, bring a manual too, and read it and know how to use it before you strap your baby in it. Embarrassingly, my husband and I struggled with it and with my son screaming, it sent us into panic and took us A LOT longer than it should have to properly strap him in. And have your husband take your car seat to have it professionally installed in the car (It's free, typically done at local police station or fire station). It's amazing how many people incorrectly install the car seat (myself included, even after reading the manual).
    Other than the car seat, like what others mentioned, possibly get one of those velcro/zipper swaddle things. I bought so many swaddle clothes but my son houdini'd out of all of them. Velcro one was a lifesaver.
    For bathing, we didn't bathe our son in a tub until he was 3 months or so. We just laid him down on a towel over a disposable underpad (the ones with absorbent cotton on one side and plastic on the other), wiped him down with soapy water-soaked towel, and then wiped off the soap with a clean wet towel. That's what the NICU nurse did and it was a lot easier and less scary than dunking him in water.
    I also suggest bringing your pump to the hospital so that you can start using it right away. Like many of you, I used the hospital grade one at the hospital but then when I came home, I had to figure out how to use the one I got for home use. It would have made my life a lot easier if I had just taken mine to the hospital so that I can practice with it. And get backup flanges so you don't need to wash as often.

@dukie001 I had GD too (starting early in the pregnancy, with insulin, ugh). It's not the end of the world. You do need to watch what you eat but you end up eating more healthy, at least I did. If you like yogurt, I recommend Icelandic yogurt, they are packed with protein and not much sugar. That was my favorite breakfast/afternoon snack.
    Me: 41  DH: 46
    Unexplained infertility/AMA, polycystic ovaries, insulin resistance
    FET#1(July 2017): eSET of first of 4 PGS-normal embryos, DS born 3/30/2018
    FET#2(Oct/Nov 2019): eSET  
  • Hey! How is everyone doing?
    @wabash15 you are almost to term 👏 Yey iIs your baby still head up or decided to flip again?
    @cashewchicken my diet is pretty much the same with the exception that I snack less. The weirdest thing is that after meals the sugar is usually within normal parameters, but in the morning right after I wake up it a little higher than norm. I have an appointment next week, will see what the doc recommends. May be they put me on meds at least for that morning period. 
    @leilee101 How are you holding up? 

I found out today about a program that we have at work that gives you $250 grant for a car seat for newborn, or if your baby outgrown the current seat and you need a new one. Took me one hour and I got a check..Yey.. love this kind of programs
  • @dukie001 thats great news about the car seat program. I'm glad for the most part your sugars have been pretty good. 

@leilee101 +1 to wondering how your doing?

AFM: still baking, 39 weeks tomorrow! (It occurs to me that we are now a week into August and I should make an august check in!) yesterday the baby was back to being head down. So far all the BPP's and NST's look normal so my MW is OK to let me keep cooking away. She will let me go up to 41 weeks but said if I haven't given birth by next week we should talk about options to nudge things along... I am still not in a hurry. I have a bunch of things to wrap up at work and this is the last time I'll ever be pregnant... so I'm trying hard to savor every last bit (even the sexy compression socks!)
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @wabash15 M turned all over the place before delivery too. He was head down and so low at our last u/s, both my nurse and tech said I might go into labor before my section. Four days later, while I'm on the table cut open, he's  turned transverse back down. I'm hoping that doesn't happen to you. A version while you are cut open is not a good time. Hopefully baby stays put and you can go into labor on your own. 
  • @wildrainbow my twin B did the exact same thing... she was breech, then head down, then back to breech then at the time of the c-section she was transverse with her back down.... I think my uterus was so roomy since they had already taken baby A out that flipping her during the C-section was NBD....  I am just really hoping for a VBAC this time.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @wabash15 I hope you get it. When is your next appt? Will you have another u/s to confirm position?
  • I have an NST tomorrow and another BPP (Ultrasound) on monday, so hopefully this kiddo cooperates.

*TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx