July 2019 Moms

Postpartum!

Anyone up for a postpartum thread? 

Re: Postpartum!

• How's everyone doing??
  • Recovery wise, this has been the easiest of my 3. Which led me to overdo it the first few days, and then I was sore again lol! Definitely have to keep reminding myself to take it easy, it’s just tough with the 2 older ones who still need that attention!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Almost two weeks later, I'm starting to feel somewhat normal (aside from the sleep deprivation), although I need to make it a point to not push myself too hard now that I feel a little better.  @nolemomma14 I don't know how I'd do this if I had other little ones at home too.
  • @nolemomma14 Same! This has also been my easiest recovery. It's hard for me letting my husband put everything away from the hospital and just sitting on the couch watching! So far he's been my easiest baby too! Our first night at home was great! He was awake about every 3 hours,  but he settled down as soon as he was fed and changed! He also was content in his bassinet instead of needing to be next to me like my girls did. I know it could change, but I'll take it😊
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    @kingdommom @nolemomma14
     I'm not postpartum yet but wanted to chime in to say I had the same feeling after my third! It was so hard to rest/heal with two needy toddlers and a newborn! So I overdid everything. I think the postpartum bleeding lasted well over 6 weeks bc I never sat down 
  • Also feeling like physically, this recovery was way quicker but definitely feeling more sore now because of being active. 
    We've been having some highs and lows - baby Jack lost 10% of his birth weight and wasn't feeding well, which led to a few very sleepless nights. Finally after supplementing he is gaining and my milk came in so we are headed in the right direction I think. We have an extra pediatrician follow up tomorrow for a weight and bili check.
    DH didn't get any paternity leave with our first so having him around this time has been a total game changer. We have also had family and our babysitter here a lot for our daughter so her schedule hasn't been too disrupted. I have my first stretch alone with both this afternoon so we'll see how it goes!
  • I feel so lucky as a FTM with recovery, I had a second degree tear and it seems to be healing well. 
    LO still sleeps all the time and we are still waking him up to eat. 
    Biggest struggle is still breastfeeding-I get less than 10ml when I pump after feeding. Hoping to increase supply. 1 day at a time. 
  • Postpartum with this baby has been a dream compared to my first. With my son I tore in 3 places and had a two hour marathon of pushing and he was always awake and always wanting to eat. Total nightmare but this girl is so calm and sweet, she just wants to sleep, occasionally squaks that she wants to eat. Her delivery was a dream and I already feel back to normal. I hope it stays this wonderful, I may almost consider never going back to work if it does.

• CbeanzCbeanz member
    Question for those with older siblings, what are their ages and how are they coping?

My 6yo is being a super big helper and is really interested in the baby. My 2 and 4yo, however... They are acting out in crazy ways. Being spazzes and destroying the house and having weird tantrums over anything. I feel sorry for them bc they can't verbalize their feelings. It's got to be hard to get a new sibling.
  • @Cbeanz my 5yo is in love with his baby brother and being helpful but also he’s being really defiant, defensive, leaning hard on wanting to be doing things with dad and feeling sad about missing closeness with me. It’s been frustrating to keep him on routine but I feel for him so much right now and wish it was an easier transition. 
  • @cbeanz my 2 1/2  y.o. has adjusted fairly well. He loves his baby sister and has been really helpful. He does hate that we don't spend as much time outside playing and likes to run out of the house while I'm feeding her. I do feel bad because he now spends way to much time with the tv. To be honest he is actually better behaved now than he was before, I doubt it will last though.
  • @Cbeanz my oldest is 5 and has been a big help! Loves the baby and helping out. My middle guy is 2.5, and it’s been hit or miss. He has some really good times and other times where he melts down and just wants mama. We’ve been taking it day by day. I honestly think a big part of it, aside from a new baby, has been our lack of routine. I think I’m a few weeks when school starts back up for us, and we get back to a regular schedule, it’ll really help! I’m loving that it’s summer and we don’t really have to do anything in particular, but both of my boys do really well with our school routine, so it’ll be nice to get back to that! 
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    @nolemomma14 will your oldest start kindergarten?

Is your middle in preschool or will he stay home with you?

I toyed with the idea of changing my middle girls' schedules so they're home 2 days per week this fall. But at the rate we're going it might be better to keep them in preschool with their daily routine. 
  • @Cbeanz my 5 year old will be starting kindergarten! I’m not even sure how it’s possible! He’s very excited though, and I know he will do great! 

My 2.5 year old will be starting in the 2s pre school class this year. I’m only sending him Tuesday and Thursday. He will go 8:30-3. I think he would be fine going 5 days a week, but I’m still not ready for that! I think 2 days will give him some nice time away from me, and then m/w/f, I’ll have him and the baby home. 
  • @Cbeanz - this has been the hardest part so far - my oldest just turned three and she's mostly excited and helpful but has moments of jealousy and melts down...usually right as my hands are full with the baby. Luckily my mom and DH are here right now to redirect some of it but I have no idea what I'm going to do alone. How did kids do with your other babies? Any tips?
  • @mnkenned when I had my second, my oldest was 2.5. I had a basket of new to him stuff that he could do on his own (coloring books, easy puzzles, some cars and tricks). When my hands were tied, I would ask him to pick something from the basket and tell him that as soon as I was done with the baby, I would play with him. I would also try and have a drink and snacks for him set up, before I started nursing in hopes of minimizing him needing me right at that moment. When all else failed, I used the tv! He watched a lot of tv in those early days, but whatever it took to get through it. 

• CbeanzCbeanz member
    I think it's also important to have one on one time with the older ones. My oldest gets a lot of time with me and the baby (she's 6.5 and real help) but I want to schedule some outings with me and just the 2yo and me with just the 4yo. So they feel reassured that they're still important to me.
  • BeatboxBabyBeatboxBaby member
    edited July 2019
    Man our 3yo is usually super good, but she's def acting out now with her sister here. Dinner time is just a nightmare...she barely eats and what she does eat takes like an hour and a half with food all on the floor! She loves her baby sister and always wants to help with stuff but I can't wait for the acting out to be over with! @Cbeanz props to you for managing 4 kids :open_mouth: ..I hope the 2 and 4 yo come around soon for ya!

My healing from my c section is going a lot smoother than with my first. I was really surprised. I just wish the bleeding would hurry up and stop!

Anyone else deal with a baby that fires poop across the room? 😂 it seems like she's either peeing on the changing pad or having poop fly on the walls haha!

I'm very happy that we are able to breastfeed this time. I'm still not comfortable doing it in public though. Managed to.do it in the pediatrician's office (in the room tho) and then in the car. Considering starting to pump a little just so we can take bottles for when we go places. Anyone else do this or what advice does anyone have for feeding in public?  I bought a cover (haven't tried it), but my daughter comes off the breast and chokes a lot so I feel like it wouldn't help too much. 

Sorry for the long post xD
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    @BeatboxBaby I'm impressed by the projectile poop! I've never seen that before!

As far as breastfeeding in public, even I don't like doing that this early. Newborns don't know what they're doing yet and mine struggles to latch every time so I can't use a cover yet. My previous babies have gotten better at nursing a few months in, and I really like feeding using the Ergo (once they have head/neck control) or just a light receiving blanket. I bet your daughter will stop choking and unlatching once she is more experienced.

I've had to public nurse a few times already at DDs swim lessons but I figure everyone is half naked at the pool so who cares about a nip slip. 
  • @Cbeanz consider yourself lucky 😂 my other daughter only did it once,  but this one has like 5 times already  haha!

That's good advice.. .thank you 🙂 My first never really breastfed so this is all new to me. I wasn't sure if it would get easier when they have better neck control but makes sense! DD2 really only does the football hold and man were my arms and back in pain trying to nurse her at the docs lol.
  • I have only attempted public breastfeeding a few times now, but I really like my infinity scarf cover. I can wrap it in a variety of ways, and it’s easy to hold out a little to allow for some airflow around my LO.
    i also have an apron style cover - I didn’t feel very secure in my coverage with that one. 
  • I've been trying to time my outings around her feeding schedule but as a STM  who breastfed until 1 yr 1/2 it's nothing new when I've had to. I usually just use her muslin swaddle blanket and cover us both up to get the right latch and then take it off myself and her and just keep my breast covered. So far I haven't had anyone say anything negative. I usually place her stroller/carseat/cart strategically to hide is from where other people are. The other big thing is just wearing the right clothes. In the hot summer it's all tank tops and loose lightweight cover ups.
  • My SIL is on her postpartum recovery stage, hardly gets time for rest. Her 3mos baby keeps crying throughout the day and all through night. It makes me feel kind of nervous. I am a heavy sleeper.