Infertility

I’m new here! With tons of questions!!

edited July 2019 in Infertility
Hello, I’m new to the bump.  My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 3 years. We have had 3 failed IUI’s. We will be starting our first IVF cycle next month.  I’m not really sure what all this will entail.  I’m guessing I will have to take birth control for a few weeks and go from there.  Can anyone tell me how long IVF is from start to finish? Including birth control.  It’s been a really stressful time.  My husband doesn’t really like to talk about it.  His family doesn’t even know we are in the process of IVF.

Re: I’m new here! With tons of questions!!

• @Knottie03651398 Welcome! I thought I would tell you my timeline so you could get an idea. I began stims on 2/14, retrieval was on 2/24, and my first transfer was on 4/17. We did a freeze all cycle. If you do a fresh transfer, that would be about 5 days after your retrieval. Please feel free to ask any questions! I understand how overwhelming it can all be standing at the beginning of it. 
  • ACAC25ACAC25 member
    Here has been my timeline for my last 3 IVF cycles. But it really depends on your protocol. 
    BCP  (about 20-21 days) 3 weeks 
    Wait until AF comes (about 3-5 days for me)
    Baseline US and Start stims day 2 if AF
    Stims range from 9-12 days for me
    2 days later ER
    3-5 days later transfer embryos 
    9-11 days later blood test. 

Hope this helps 
  • Loading the player...
  • Timing will depend on if you plan on doing a fresh or frozen transfer and if you are doing embryo PGS/PGT testing. I have been working on this since April and haven't had my first transfer yet. My age made things a little more difficult, but you can see my general timeline in my signature.

I started in April with Dr. Then from estrogen priming before my cycle 2 weeks (I didn't need BCP because my tubes are tied), stimulation drugs for 12 days with ultrasounds and bloodwork every 2-3 days for monitoring, egg retrieval, then 5-6 day wait for them to reach blastocyst stage and be frozen (3 or 5 day transfer if you are doing fresh cycle). Then for us....we had to wait 12 days for our PGS results and should have had a transfer the following Friday, but I ended up with no normal embryos, so I am now waiting to talk to a genetic counselor for transferring our 1 indeterminate embryo and 1 abnormal one. We would have already transferred by now had I did a fresh transfer (which likely wouldn't have worked because my best-rated embryo was actually abnormal).

Good luck!! 
    Me: 45yo, DH: 47yo
    3 Daughters (singleton @27yo, ID  Di/Di Twins @34yo)
    Protein S Deficiency (Blood Clotting Disorder), MTHFR & VIT D issue 
    5 MC's:  Blighted Ovum-D&C @ 9wks;  Natural MC @ 7wks; Blighted Ovum-D&C @ 9wks; MC boy-D&C @ 9wks & Chem PG in 2019
    Tubes were tied after my Twins (and now I am old). Remarried and want to give my DH a baby!

IVF#1 OE June 2019 - ER 6/15/19, 24R, 21M, 20F, 7 6DBlasts Frozen for PGS Testing,
    RESULTS of PGS 4 abnormal girls,  2 abnormal boys, 1 indeterminate girl
    FET#1 OE August 23, 2019 (transferring 1 indeterminate girl & 1 abnormal boy) - BFN
    IVF#2 November 15, 2019 - ER 9R, 9M, 6F, 2 5dBlasts (fresh transfer) and 1 6DBlast frozen for PGS Testing,
    FRESH Transfer: November 20, 2019, 2 5-day blasts transferred!! 
    BFP 8dp5dt on 11/27 - 12/2 on FRER, BETA #1 12/2 - 11.93. BETA #2 12/4: 4.41 ~CHEMICAL PG
    ******************Starting Donor Process
    June 2020: Egg Donor Cycle and Fresh Transfer of 1 embryo in Czech Republic - CANCELLED DUE TO COVID19
    October 2020.  Split Cycle at UFC with a friend (Andrea) I met on the Bump who was also supposed to go to Prague too  
    DE Retrieval 9/26/2020, 26R, 24M, 12 split Cycle, 9 Fertilized + 1 "questionable", PRAYING FOR AT LEAST 5 BLASTS
    10/1/2020: 4 5DBlasts (AA, BB, BC, BC), 10/2/2020: 3 6DBlasts (BB, BB, BC) FOR A TOTAL OF: 7 BLASTS!! THANK YOU GOD!!
    PGS RESULTS: 5 NORMALS! DAY 5: AA BOY, BB GIRL, BC BOY / DAY 6: BB GIRL, BC GIRL
    DE FET October 29, 2020 - CANCELED DUE TO FLUID IN LINING
    DE FET November 16th, 2020 (transferring an PGS normal Hatching AA Boy)
  • Thank you, good luck to you as well.  We are going to do a fresh transfer.  Excited but nervous!
  • Yes it def, tells me what to expect.  I wasn’t sure how long I would be taking BC.
  • Update: My doctor just emailed me last night and said I am no longer immune to chicken pox and measles and I need to get vaccinated again.  Apparently 15% of women lose the vaccine as they get older.  This has now pushed our ivf dates back two months.  I wish they would have told
    me about this in the beginning.  They didn’t mention it during my iui process and I had three.  It’s my choice of whether or not I do it.  I’m definitely doing the Rubella Vaccine.  Any thoughts on Varicella.
  • Your future baby will benefit from your immunity (before birth and after) so I would get whatever vaccines you need to get up to date. I would definitely get varicella as it can be a really devastating infection in pregnant women and small babies. You can get MMR for measles, mumps and rubella and the varicella vaccine for chicken pox -- two shots for coverage on 4 bases. I work in pediatrics and we've been seeing more and more chicken pox cases popping up now so I think there is a risk if you don't get vaccinated.  

We did a frozen transfer and our process was about 2.5/3 months from starting BCP to pregnancy test after the transfer. I was on the BCP for about 3 weeks; the IVF cycle took about 3-4 weeks from start to finish and we transferred the next cycle and tested 10 days after transfer. We had no delays or hiccups in the process, but those can happen depending on your response to the meds.

I also found my doctor was much more demanding as far as bloodwork/etc for IVF cycle than the IUI -- we didn't really do much bloodwork before starting the IUI, but before IVF, I gave about 8 vials of blood for all of the tests they ordered! The lady doing the blood draw was surprised at how many tests they wanted done. 
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."