January 2020 Moms
Options

STMs share your birth stories!

FTMs are usually very curious as to how their birth stories will go. Let's give them some real life experiences!

Re: STMs share your birth stories!

• Options
    @marebear15 What a great story! I don’t know how I would have handled having to wait 12 hours to hold my new baby! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm with @blackcat01 I probably would have been a hormonal raging mess if I couldn't hold my lil one for 12hrs. That's a crazy story but I'm glad everything turned out ok!
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • Options
    @marebear15 sounds like everyone did everything right though and it all worked out. Kinda scary but reassuring that they new what to do!
  • Options
    @Xstatic3333 Amazing you did all that without medication! And what a big baby! Mine was 10lb4oz and also did not have GD. If I knew that before giving birth I would have died lol 
  • Options
    Same @blackcat01, I’m pretty sure if they predicted his size accurately I would have willingly signed off on a CS. It’s better not to know! Are they making you do early GD testing this time too? I have my first one in a few weeks. 
  • Options
    @Xstatic3333 I’m just going to assume I’m having a big baby this time too. Luckily, my body handled the size fine during birth, even though it took forever. I only got one tiny little tear (sorry if tmi) And yes, they are making me test early for GD even though that wasn’t why my baby was big! They surprised me with the stuff at like 9 weeks when I went in for genetic testing. My values were below normal, so if anything, I’m slightly opposite lol. I’m assuming you have to do it too?

I’ll write my birth story when I get a chance!
  • Options
    @Xstatic3333 Sorry, forgot you said you are doing that testing in a few weeks!
  • Options
    Same @blackcat01, not buying any NB clothes since they were never worn last time. I’m trying to be good about my health to give her every opportunity to NOT be 11 lbs. but I was pretty good last time too. Walked daily, ate vegetables with my ice cream, all that good stuff. Glad your birth went well also! After my experience I really think it comes down to position more than size. Having a big baby was nice after he was out too, because it made early BF a lot less stressful. 
  • Options
    @Xstatic3333 - That's so interesting that pushing was hard for you and transition wasn't bad. I was definitely the opposite. I felt such a relief when I could push. I definitely didn't feel the need to push during all 30 seconds that the nurses were counting, maybe only about 20 of them. 

RE newborn clothes: I didn't buy any because DD was measuring 90 percentile the whole time, but she only came out 8lbs3oz and needed newborn clothes and diapers for about 2 weeks.
  • Options
    @Xstatic3333 I was pretty good during that pregnancy too, but I think some of it comes down to genetics. I found out after the fact that larger babies run on my husband’s side of the family. I’m hoping this one is smaller and also positioned well lol And I agree with you on the nb clothes, she could only fit into a small portion of them for maybe a week! We joke that she was born a toddler. I’m curious to see how big our next babies are going to be!!
  • Options
    @FyreFlyRush what a crazy story for your #1!

@c1kc1kpol1cn1k and @kbrown2385 you both too! We seem to make big babies around here!

@marebear15 I think your experience is much more common! I like to mention mine though because at the time I remember feeling kind of lied to by my birth classes. It just shows that labor is experienced differently for every mom and maybe even every baby. 
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k @stashattack @kbrown2385 So my question what size were you as babies. My mom had normal size babies and I'm hoping I do too? But DH was a big baby and I don't want that lol
  • Options
    kbrown2385kbrown2385 member
    edited July 2019
    @biolprof I was 9lbs15oz and I wasn’t even the biggest in my family. My brother was 11lbs3oz. She had natural births with all 5 of us 😬. Neither of us had gd either, just naturally big babies. 

edit wasnt finished 
  • Options
    @biolprof 9lbs10oz same like @kbrown2385 I wasn't measuring larger or anything, thank god she came on her own at week early. I have a small figure and even my bump was not that extreme so they never mentioned a big baby to me. This time I will be really focused near the end to make sure they somehow determine the size, I don't want to go to term and end up having an 11lbs baby hahaha

Only negative to the experience was I had a much longer recovery time once I was home since my tailbone was ruined. This time the midwife said to give birth on my hands and knees to avoid the repeated injury. 
  • Options
    @Xstatic3333 despite my epidural not being perfect and causing me some anxiety and ultimately wearing off, I was still so grateful for it.  I was always open to the idea of I'll see what my body does without, but I'm not opposed to the epidural, but I honestly don't know how I could have made it through all of my labor & delivery without the approximately 12 hours of relief from the epidural. 

@c1kc1kpol1cn1k my sister just had her 2nd son in May and used a TENS unit for both labors!  She swears by it!
  • Options
    @valerie4786 wow what a long journey but also such a beautiful result!
  • Options
    marebear15marebear15 member
    edited July 2019
    @peppyj9 - In my experience, and in many other ladies' experiences, the first several hours of labor are prodromal (real labor but no progress) or just early labor. One of my friends was in the early stages of labor for 3 days before she made any real progress. These contractions, while still painful, aren't as strong and are pretty far apart. My first 12ish hours of labor, I only had contractions every 15 minutes and they would stop every once in awhile. I didn't even really need to breath through them. 
    Since this stage of labor can be very long or very short, this is why people have the 5-1-1 rule (contractions every 5 minutes, lasting 1 minute, for an hour). Obviously take this rule with a grain of salt. My contractions were never more than about 30 seconds long, and never got to 5 minutes apart until transition. Sometimes, you just know when to go.

EDIT: Okay, I think by the time I got to the hospital, my contractions were about 90 seconds long. I just did one of my breathing techniques and timed it to about 90 seconds. Wow. I didn't realize they were that long. 
  • Options
    @peppyj9 right?!?!?! I think I need to share this with my husband. WE live about an hour away (40mins without traffic 2hrs on a bad day) from where we plan to deliver. (yes we are planning to have a plan b hospital that's closer just in case). I've been saying we can pick up my sushi snack on the way to delivery (since the sushi place just happens to be on the way), and he's all like, we don't know what's going to happen you may need to go to the hospital ASAP.  reading all these stories gives me hope that I can make it down to my hospital of choice AND grab those spicy scallop rolls :P 
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • Options
    I’m curious how my second labor and delivery will be from the first?  I heard it goes easier and much quicker :fingers crossed:
  • Options
    @leprechaunlady wow. I don't really have words but I'm glad everything worked out in the end! ❤
  • Options
    trauen812trauen812 member
    edited July 2019
    Well, mine was fairly straight forward. I went for my 38 week OB appt at 38w5d, I was 2 cm and 100% effaced at the time of the visit. My doc said she was on call that night so she could sweep my membranes and hopefully see me later that night. She swept my membranes and I left the office at 4cm. That was around 1:30pm, I had to work that night from 5-9pm. Around 3:30 my contractions started but weren’t too painful and only about 10-15 minutes apart. I went in to work my shift because what else am I gonna do lol. Around 7pm I had to leave work because they were about 5 minutes apart. Went home, collected the hubby and off we went. However, my grandmother was also in the hospital due to a heart condition so we decided to visit her first before going to L&D. Had a nice visit, at this point contractions were 3-5 minutes apart but still only uncomfortable. Went to L&D, I was 7 cm when they checked and admitted me. This was about 9:30pm, we live pretty close to the hospital. Then they broke my water and since contractions were only 4 every 10 minutes instead of 5 in 10 minutes they start pitocin. Dumb. Now contractions were awful and I stopped progressing. It wasn’t until 1am that I reached 8cm. At that point I had had enough and got an epidural. With that I was able to sleep for awhile. Around 7 am I was 10cm, but they needed to wait for the doctor for me to push. She came in around 9 am, I started pushing. Due to baby’s position she wasn’t coming out but heart rate was steady. Pushed for about 2 1/2 hours, then doc decided to use a vacuum and she was out two pushes later. My Molly girl was born 5/2/18 @ 11:25am, 6lbs 11oz of pure love. 

edit it to add: After birth was the really tough part, Omg hemorrhoids! 
  • Options
    @trauen812 Lol about hemorrhoids. 

I loved reading everyone else's stories.  Thank you for sharing.

Thought I would share this.

I had had ZERO signs of labor and was already at 41+4 (side note, I think my due date was pushed forward inaccurately, so entirely possible that this was wrong.  So glad we went with a different US place this time that actually listens to me).  We had done everything natural, but it seemed that the baby just did not want to move. On that day we tried using castor oil and pumping, but really nothing started. We had scheduled an induction for 42 w, which would of had to be at the hospital and so I was a bit stressed about that.

We went into an appointment at 12 noon on 41 +5 and still NOTHING.  I was kind of getting worried, but we tried the same protocol of pumping and castor oil that afternoon. BTW, castor oil was NOT bad at all, but at the same time I still don't like to eat ice cream...  At 2pm it seems like things were getting started.  All I can remember is trying to watch TV, but then suddenly I was in a completely different state.  We went for a walk, but that quickly became too difficult.  We got home at 4 and things really started.  I bounced on the birth ball, used my hypnobirth tracks, and just went into a different place.  Things really picked up when my doula got there at 7.  My dh had to stay with me for every minute because contractions were on top of each other.  I will spare you graphic details, but there were a lot of fluids etc. when my water broke.

At 8 we went to the birth center, which is very close to our house.  When we got there I got in the shower and I think that was where transition was.  After I got out I felt very tired and kept wanting to rest.  My midwife checked me and said it was ok if I got in the tub around 10.  In the tub I labored and then pushed for about 10 minutes.  It was a bit scary fast.  When she came out I was in shock and was bleeding more than normal.  My husband held her right away so that I could get a pitocin shot.  When she came out the midwife was very clear that she did not look her GA, but looked exactly like the GA I had said she was.  I just remember saying over and over again, "She's so big!" even though she was the exact average size of a baby. 

Resting after all of it was nice and we were able to go home at 3am.  We ate some random muffins from someone and passed out.  Little did we know our DD was a handful with some minor, yet significant medical issues.  That was the most rest we got in a long while.  

• Options
    This is my third time around, and this is the birth story from my DD (my 2nd LO).  It was an unmedicated, complication-free birth at a freestanding birth center with midwives.  I talk briefly about my son's birth in the first paragraph, so anyone who is avoiding negative birth stories should skip the first paragraph :-)
    ____

To fully appreciate DD’s birth story, a short version of my son’s birth story is pertinent.  My son was born at 39 weeks after an induced labor due to severe preeclampsia (PreE).  During his labor and delivery, I received pitocin and magnesium sulfate, got an epidural for a reason other than pain management (low platelets), pushed for more than 3 hours, had a failed vacuum attempt, and ultimately delivered by forceps.  I had two large tears and a postpartum hemorrhage that made recovery very long and difficult.  I hoped for a very different experience with my next delivery.

I was interested in the midwifery model of care and unmedicated birth so I searched online for which midwives practiced in Pittsburgh and found the Midwife Center.  I began seeing them for well-women annual appointments, and they provided wonderful, compassionate care during a miscarriage just before I got pregnant with DD.  During my pregnancy with DD, I had great experiences at all of my appointments.  The midwives took the time to answer all my questions and concerns and included my husband and son when they were able to attend my appointments.  Due to my history of PreE, I was at increased risk of developing it with subsequent pregnancies.  Therefore, when my blood pressure started to rise at the very end of pregnancy, it understandably made me nervous.  I requested a membrane sweep at 40 weeks to hopefully get things rolling before my BP officially became “high” which would risk me out of the birth center.  I was also warned to mentally prepare for a hospital transfer during labor for high BP because the pain and stress of labor causes many women’s BP to rise (and mine was borderline high at the office by that point).

After the membrane sweep, I had somewhat intense, regular contractions over the course of the evening, but they petered out overnight.  The next day, I still had contractions intermittently, but nothing intense or regular.  The following day (Friday) I started having weak contractions every 20 minutes or so at around 2PM.  By 3PM, they were getting stronger and closer together so I asked my husband to pick me up from work.  He had been out shopping and still needed to pick up a few things at Target, so he asked me if I would prefer heading straight home, or stopping by Target first.  At this point, I wasn’t sure whether I was really in labor, and thought that some walking might help if it was really labor, so I told him to go to Target.  As we walked through the store, the contractions were getting even stronger, so that I needed to stop walking during each one.  I told my husband that we should probably head home as I didn’t want to make a scene laboring in Target or have my water break there.  On the ride home, I really started to think that this was labor although the contractions were still very, very manageable (this was around 4PM).

Once we got home, I called the person who would be watching our son and gave the midwife on call (Emily) a phone at 5PM-ish.  At this point, the contractions were about 6-7 minutes apart.  Emily told me that they like to wait until the contractions get to 5 minutes apart, so I could check back in a few hours or call if things got intense fast.  Almost immediately after this call, things got crazy.  First, the contractions switched to around 2-3 minutes apart but were still manageable.  Very quickly after that, they became very intense such that I needed to lean over something and breathe through each one.  I filled up our bathtub and got in to try and calm down and space them out but needed to get out after about 2 contractions.  At this point, it was obvious to me that we needed to go to the birth center and fast.  My husband raced around the house calling the MW, collecting last minute items for our labor bag, and finalizing plans for our son.  We left for the birth center at around 6PM and made it there at 6:20PM.

I went inside to meet Emily and the nurse (Danielle) in the Forest Room while my husband waited for my son to be picked up outside.  Once inside, the nurse asked me to try to pee (I couldn’t) and started collecting vitals on baby.  Emily came in maybe 5 minutes later.  She saw me work through one contraction and said “well this looks promising, let’s see where you are at”.  She checked me and I was at 8 cm.  This was fantastic news!  The contractions at this point were very intense, but now I knew that I was in transition and it would be over soon.  She asked me if I wanted to use the tub (oh god did I) and she started to fill it up.  Before I could get in, a few things needed to happen.  Danielle needed to monitor DD’s heart rate during 4 contractions (she was doing perfectly), they needed to get my blood pressure (amazingly, not high!), and they needed to put in a saline lock (due to my history of postpartum hemorrhage).  All this was torture because the contractions were right on top of each other and didn’t really let up completely in between each one, but I made it through by circling my head during each contraction (because I couldn’t move while Danielle was listening to the heart rate).  As I stood up to head to the tub, I started to feel the urge to push and told Emily as much.  She told me to listen to my body and do what feels right, but I was worried that I might not be complete and asked to be checked.  So she checked me, and sure enough I was complete with just a small lip that she pushed aside (ow!) and we were ready to start pushing.

This was the only point in the process where I really lost it and started saying that I didn’t think I could do it.  I was thinking about my son’s birth and how long and painful pushing was with him.  Emily told me that I could do it, and that all women feel like this towards the end of labor, and that means it’s almost over.  With those words motivating me, I got back on the bed and started to push.  I started pushing sort of on all fours, but it didn’t feel very good so I switched to side lying.  In my birth plan, I asked to do self-directed pushing and this was perfect for me.  No one counting, or yelling, just my body doing what felt right.  After the first few pushes, my water broke in a dramatic gush.  After that, I quickly delivered her head (feeling the infamous ring of fire) and her body right after.  In all, I pushed for 12 minutes.  DD was born at 6:57PM on Friday, June 13th under a full moon.  Emily later told me that she was completely posterior (which makes delivery more difficult).  I only had one small tear that didn’t even require stitches.

She was placed directly on my stomach and my husband was able to cut the cord (both these things didn’t happen with my son).  I held her skin to skin for the first hour and we were able to quickly start breastfeeding.  It was amazing how alert and calm she was.  I felt terrific right afterwards.  We stayed at the birth center for 5 hours after she was born (a little longer than the 4 hour minimum because my blood pressure actually became high AFTER the birth and they needed to monitor it back down to normal).

All in all, DD’s birth was an amazing, empowering experience that was so, so different from the birth of my son.  Because her birth was so fast and uncomplicated, the result would have likely been very similar if I had delivered in a hospital.  However, it would have been a lot less pleasant.  It was wonderful to walk right into the Forest Room and not have to deal with waiting rooms, check-ins, or triage.  It was wonderful not having to lie still in bed while being monitored.  It was wonderful not needing to argue about any aspects of my birth plan, everything I wanted was standard practice at the birth center.  It was wonderful to be able to go home hours after the birth and rest in our own bed.  In the days after DD’s birth I had to refrain from telling anyone and everyone what a wonderful experience her birth was.
  • Options
    I’m curious how my second labor and delivery will be from the first?  I heard it goes easier and much quicker :fingers crossed:
    My second was much easier and quicker than my first (see my birth story directly above).  Based on the many 2+ moms I know, this tends to be the norm.
  • Options
    @FyreFlyeRush I couldn't have said it better or agree more. 

• Options
    schreibabyschreibaby member
    edited September 2019
    Thanks, everyone, for sharing your stories! 

They are quite beautiful and, as others have said, even the ones that didn't go as planned ended up ok in the end. 

As a FTM planning a natural birth in a birthing center, it sounds like trusting your body and letting things progress as naturally as possible are good ways to encourage a positive birth experience. 

Your rock, mamas! 
  • Options
    @schreibaby As a mom who went to a birth center I would say one of the best classes we took was the one on interventions and transfers.  They had a mom who had to be transferred speak and it totally made us feel more comfortable if that was what happened.  They also bring in the doctor you transfer to so you can meet him there.  Another thing my birth center does is offer free/low cost emergency doula services if you do have to transfer.  Hope your journey goes well!

Maybe as the time gets closer we can start a thread about birth classes/tips...

• Options
    @schreibaby , trusting your body, and your medical staff and being able to roll with the punches is the best way to have a positive birth experience. I didn't want induced. I didn't want an epidural. I didn't want to be bed bound.  But, the best birthing experience is a healthy baby and mom. That might mean 20 hours into labor, you have to have a cesarean...it could mean you realize you're too tired and want the med-free birth..or, it could be that your blood pressure is spiking and lying on your left side is keeping it down. Or, it could mean you want drugs and no pain and an induction and end up nearly delivering in the stairwell! 

Just have a few back up plans.