1st Trimester

Announcements?

Do people usually do announcements with the theme/holiday near when they are due or when they are announcing? 

For example, I am due in January but I will be announcing late july. Do I make my announcement winter themed or summer themed? 

Re: Announcements?

• harpseal135harpseal135 member
    edited June 2019
    Do people usually do announcements with the theme/holiday near when they are due or when they are announcing? 

For example, I am due in January but I will be announcing late july. Do I make my announcement winter themed or summer themed? 
    Never understood the "announcement" thing; it's not hard to announce I'm pregnant to people when you see them or through word of mouth from immediaiate family to extended family or within your friend group/s.

Please be cautious sending them out to anyone whom may ne struggling with infertility because getting one of these is a very low blow to them!  I have secondary infertility and despite having one child - I still get very emotional when couples announce their 2nd/3rd/etc pregnancies.  Its EXTREMELY EMOTIONAL AND GUT WRENCHING; I would cry for days and it takes time to deal with it! 

As for a theme; if I ever actually did one, a "coming in January 2020" with baby theme would be appropriate; not sure why you would want it seasonal themed. 

• Following, I love seeing people's creative, seasonal announcements but our timing never seems to make sense for any specific holidays or anything. 
  • Loading the player...
  • You can come join us on the January bmb and read the announcement thread to get ideas. I know some people are doing 4th of July themed announcements. 
  • jolo1241jolo1241 member
    edited July 2019
    edited July 2019
    Never thought of like that. They test fireworks for an hour or so before the show. It's not like it's going to be announced or anything. So I wouldn't call it a "very public announcement". And the only ones that know what it is for, will know. We only conceived after 7 years of failing, finally through IVF. Not one person on the Infertility thread gave us this hard of a time about this. They all loved it. They are also sending up our other friend's father's ashes. They do this type of stuff every year. And we've had our share of struggles with infertility. 
  • I think it’s a cool idea @jolo1241. It’s a couple of fireworks that are blue or pink. Like you said, it’s before the show and your friends and family will know what they mean. Congrats! 
  • @nanner26 @jolo1241

Sure, maybe only friends and family will know what it means, but imagine you're sitting next to a couple who are currently struggling, or recently miscarried, that you don't even know who then have to hear a group of people around them shower you with "congrats it's a boy!" or "hurray you're having a girl!" and a bunch of clapping.

If 250,000 people are attending the fireworks, I'd assume many people will be there very early for good seats for viewing. So even if the plan is to do it as part of the setup and testing, well, people are going to notice and/or hear congratulatory words and make the connection.

And for the record, I do actually think this is a really cute idea for the time of year, but I feel like gender reveals are best kept in privacy.

And just as a side note, I'm pretty sure both blue and pink are very difficult fireworks colors to make so they'll stick out more than you think (that's why most fireworks are red, green, or gold).
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • Honestly, what bothers me is that a poster who commented on here specifically asked other members on their board to come here and “strongly encourage” against this announcement. 

@jolo1241 Most people were directed here, so while I think it’s good to hear others perspectives, know that it was intentional that so many people commented here at once. I find that pretty unnecessary. 
  • Oh. So people were told to gang up on us? That is very unfortunate to hear. And not a single tax dollar pays for these fireworks. All donations. Which we are lifetime donors. And volunteers.
  • bows22bows22 member
    @nanner26 people only had to be directed here because this is a slow board and no one would have seen it otherwise. not because we needed to be told what to post. 

@jolo1241 I don’t think the fact that they are donations makes it much better. It still feels like a wrong use of other people’s money, unless you donated enough this year to cover the fireworks. 

I get that you’re excited and this is a unique way to find out the sex. So if you are going to do it I would just be respectful and quietly celebrate. People are going to hear and word will spread and you could be taking people off guard during an event that seems totally safe for them. 
    edited July 2019
    We have donated enough to cover the shells they are using. And helping set up the rest of the show as well. We understand how people can feel about it. And now feel really bad about this. 

But also, telling people on other boards to see that post "because they wouldn't have seen otherwise" is still a bummer. 
    edited July 2019
    @inthewoods23 IF is terrible. And we understand that, very personally. We have seen so many announcements over these 7 years. And it does hurt to see them. But it also gave us hope. Hope that we too will one day have our own announcement. Even if it was just a maybe. Plus, we're still happy for those people in our lives that get to celebrate their own growing families. We did not take into consideration how this may affect people and we are very sorry for that. After reading these comments today, I've been crying all day. I'm sure some of that is this emotional roller coaster of pregnancy. And probably from these shots I'm still doing everyday. A constant reminder that we couldn't do this on our own. Now we are rethinking this whole reveal. Ugh...it's hard celebrate now thinking about that. We would never want this hurt anyone. We are so sorry that we've caused this in these forums. These fireworks are our family's oldest and most treasured tradition, always spending it together no matter where we are in our lives. It was just our way of bringing another memory into that.
  • b_1029b_1029 member
    edited July 2019
    @jolo1241 sorry to have reacted poorly above without knowing the whole story. IF makes me bitter and I admire you for getting hope from other people’s announcements when I can’t seem to do that unless I know they struggled as well. 
  • @jolo1241 - you do you, girl. you’ve earned the right to be happy, and I swear I can’t imagine anyone who didn’t know what was going on would have even a hint of a clue what the few fireworks were all about. Celebrate your miracle baby!
    me 32 | dh 45
    married <3 11.11.17
     mama. epicurean. plant lover. wine enthusiast.
  • I agree that @jolo1241 has handled these comments very well. It was not my intent to be hurtful. I only intended to point out that it might be hurtful because I know some people don’t realize. I apologize if the comments were hurtful or too bitter. You should be proud of yourself for finding hope instead of misery in other’s announcements. I wish I could do that. I have been included in some public gender reveals that were hurtful and that I couldn’t avoid, including a coworker who insisted on doing gender reveal cupcakes in the office for a second child when I was at my lowest place in my journey. I might be overly sensitive because of those experiences. Just don’t have an announcement and handle those around you with care.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • @jolo1241 I'm sorry if anything I said was hurtful and I'm so sorry you've been crying! IF is so hard and it's so easy to be bitter in the bad times and also easy get lost in our happiness when something good finally happens in our journey. 

Hearing that this is a family tradition makes the idea actually really sweet I think it's okay to add on to that tradition. I hope you still consider doing this even though we all got carried away with these hypothetical situations of upsetting people. Shame on us! As PP said, you do you girl! I'm happy for you to finally have happiness after 7 years 🙂 
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • @jolo1241 I'm so happy for you and I hope you have a wonderful gender reveal! You so deserve this. You deserve to fully enjoy every part of this pregnancy as you have seen so many others before you. It's your time to shine 💕
    edited July 2019
    I appreciate all the kind words 💜
    I should've told the whole story to begin with. Just not being in the IF forums, I didn't want to get too specific about everything. Sometimes I'm unnecessarily ashamed of how we got here, like it's my fault. IF will make you think and feel some terrible things. I do truly apologize for all of this and never meant for this thread to become this. I pray for all of those struggling with IF. 
  • @jolo1241 You should not be ashamed of how you got there. It’s not your fault. 1 in 8 couples struggle with infertility. But, I get you. I felt it too and I wasn’t really able to talk about fertility issues for a long time. I still have trouble sometimes. IF is not fair. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • I’m upset by the amount of people bashing your awesome reveal because it might be upsetting to others. Just because someone else may get upset by it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be happy. You can’t walk on eggshells. This is your life, celebrate it as you wish! Only you and family and friends will know what the colors mean. Enjoy and I wish you all of the best in your pregnancy!
  • @jolo1241 what if you had your friend start the test run with either one or two blue or red fireworks rather than a whole bunch of blue or pink especially since pink isn’t a normal firework color. No one would really catch on since it would just flow into the rest of the test. And if there isn’t a barrage of one color it would be way less conspicuous to all the other people there. 
  • @littlelewisfamily Thank you so much! I appreciate that!
    @kopp5988 That's actually the plan. A few different colors, then a couple salutes, the pink or blue, followed by more salutes. 
  • Check out Pinterest for ideas, seriously the best! Here's a board to start with: https://www.pinterest.com/babymed/pregnancy-announcement/
  • I had a plan for the first time around. I was going to announce at Easter. I had a shirt that said "Egg-Specting" with an egg on my belly. And i was gonna take a picture using an easter basket and eggs with our names. And one specifically for the baby with their due date (Oct 2019). This didnt happen because at 12 weeks we found out that we no longer had a heartbeat (3 weeks prior to Easter). 
    This time around, i dont know when well announce but we are due in Feb 2020. 
  • @jolo1241 So what happened? Did you have the big fireworks reveal?
    Pregnancy Ticker