November 2019 Moms

Anatomy Scan Discussion

Re: Anatomy Scan Discussion

• mc0303mc0303 member
    @dani_0921 I hope all goes well with the level 2 ultrasound! It's so hard when the babies don't cooperate, but hopefully it'll all turn out okay next time. 

I had my anatomy scan this morning and everything was unremarkable and normal. My baby was uncooperative again: face up, head at my cervix and rolling from side to side. Apparently really hard to get measurements that way. At my last scan they said my placenta was borderline low-lying but it moved quite a bit since then. I felt light pulsing like I've felt before and the tech said it was braxton hicks - so I guess that's the feeling I've been getting? The more you know! 

My OB emailed me like 5 minutes later to tell me that he viewed the results and everything was normal. I was surprised how quickly he reached out. I have a checkup appt w/him next Friday. 

• @creamcheeseplease no, I'm not as of yet. The only they are sending me for a level 2 as of now is because they just couldn't get a good view during the A/S yesterday. All of my heartbeat checks have been great. Of course then they tell me about the two other things and I got stressed about all of it. Thank you for the good thoughts and advice!
  • Loading the player...
  • rae605rae605 member
    @dani_0921 one of my twins had a echogenic focus on his heart at my 20 week ultrasound (in my last pregnancy.) No other markers but I was still very worried...I couldn't help it. Everything turned out to be fine, but I'm a worrier by nature and it was hard not to. Best of luck with your follow up!
  • natehknatehk member
    Sorry for the delayed reply - haven’t been on in a few days.  Thanks everyone for the good wishes!  Re: the cervix issues I do actually have a cerclage already.  I had cervical surgery 5 yrs ago and it was placed then.  Doc monitoring it closely to make sure it holds. 
    Btw - silly question but I thought level 2 ultrasound was the same thing as the anatomy scan??
  • My A/S is scheduled for July 16! It feels like a forever long wait!  :# 

Good luck to everyone! 
  • @natehk that’s what google has been telling me but I was switched from a regular anatomy scan (level 1?) to a level 2 after meeting with a genetic counselor.  I’m not sure what the difference is, maybe it is different for different providers?  I plan on asking next week, but my understanding is that they take more time to look at the development of the organs and bones that they typically look at during the anatomy scan.  
  • @darmargrayoh same! Mine is the 15th and it's killing me some of us have already had theirs lol. Good luck on your patient wait
  • @natehk @rogro118 my OB told me that the level 2 US will be at LEAST an hour, plus a consult before hand. You're correct about going more in depth with organ development than the regular anatomy scan. Google had me confused also! It's also at a different provider, as my OB office doesn't do them and referred me to a different place. (Perinatologist I belive??) Even though I'm an STM, this is all new to me as I didn't have this with DD. 
  • @dani_0921 same!  I’ll be going to MFM at the hospital for mine, but I did not have to do any of this extra stuff with my son.  I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed.  Thanks for clarifying!  
  • @rogro118 same for me. MFM at the hospital. I'm just hoping they get a good look at his heart and everything is fine! Good luck with yours as well! How long do you have to wait to go?
  • Our Level IIs are done at MFM and they are super detailed. They arent kidding when they said expect an hour. They will look at the lobes of the brain, every chamber of the heart, the kidneys, and measure everything. Its pretty cool how much you get to see of baby. Make sure to let them know id you start getting uncomfortable. Also, i found it easier to have the table at a pretty high angle, almost like I was mostly sitting up.
  • @dani_0921 mine is July 1st, so not too much longer.  What about you?  

@purplefan1 good tip, thank you!  Hoping I get a kinder tech than last time, she told us not to talk at all and no questions until the end.  I felt like I was in school again being scolded by a teacher 🙄. I’m excited to get a good look at everything.  Aside from my issues that they’re concerned about, my nephew was born with cleft lip last year, my 2 year old niece has a minor club foot/toe, and my other niece had kidney issues that were caught at my sister’s anatomy scan, so I’m really looking forward to ruling those things out.  
  • @rogro118 mine is July 1st as well. I'm out of town until then, so hopefully it'll go fast. 
  • @rogro118 @dani_0921 anatomy scan date buddies!  Mine is on July 1 as well.  I'm sure it will be here in a jiffy, everything's just flying by!

• natehknatehk member
    @dani0921 and @purplefan1 that makes sense.  I go to an MFM and mine did take an hour.  Over 2 visits since baby curled up in a ball and wasn’t cooperative the 1st time!  We did get to see him suck his thumb and yawn which was cool!  They did go really deep into organs, brain but thankfully all is well there 
  • I have mine tomorrow and I am so excited to finally get the last pictures of baby boy until we meet him. 
  • blg116blg116 member
    I finally scheduled mine. July 11th. I shouldn't have waited so long to schedule til they were all booked out. 
  • Thank you @angieeeeee Good luck to you as well!! 
  • Mine is too! I’ll be 20+1! Congrats!!!! 
  • @creamcheeseplease sorry for no response for a bit, I checked out for a bit during our trip! No measurement given and she didn't recommend any restrictions yet, just told me to contact her if I have any bleeding (which I haven't).
  • We had our anatomy scan yesterday, and the good news is that all looks well with our baby boy.  He's estimated to be 13 oz (at 20+1), and heart / internal organs all look fine.  The bad news is that I have placenta previa.  The doctor seemed annoyingly unconcerned.  I know that this can sometimes resolve before term, and we're scheduled to go back for another look in two months, but I was really hoping for a midwife-assisted home birth and that's looking somewhat unlikely now.  :disappointed:

• @mimigarden I'm sorry about the placenta previa. I hope it moves in time. Adjusting your idea of what you want your baby's birth to be like can be very difficult. 
  • @mimigarden I had the same thing at my scan and it seems like several of us do. From what I can tell it looks like it's super common for this to come up at the anatomy scan but then resolve itself (80-90% of the time). I hope that's the case! :)
  • I had my scan last week and one thing I notice no one has mentioned is how boring and long it is! Mine was 45 minutes of silence while the technician tapped away at his screen with the image facing away from me, and then he went to get my husband and we got a quick 2-minute 'tour' of our baby. 
    Is this a normal experience? At one point the tech said "this is boring, eh?" And I asked him if I could make conversation to make it less boring and he said "no, that's okay thanks" 😬. 
    On the plus side, little man has long lanky limbs like his dad and wiggles like him too! 
  • @alaluap my tech walked us through the whole thing. Told us what we were looking at, what she was looking for next, things that have changed since last scan, etc. I know not all are chatty and some arent allowed to say anything but my experience in this doctors office is the techs have always walked me through every bit of the scan. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 @runningfortwo81 thank you for your comments and support.  I know that the most important thing is that baby is looking good; how he comes into this world is secondary.  I'm working to focus on that :heart:

@alaluap that's too bad you had that experience; our tech was actually the doctor and he had a lot to say while doing the scan (though I can't say it was physically very pleasant, he was pushing REALLY hard on me the whole time).  Perhaps because he was a tech he couldn't narrate as much?  I know I've had nurses who are really reluctant to say anything during ultrasounds before, since they don't want to get in trouble, maybe?

• @purplefan1 @mimigarden oh! I assumed this was a normal experience, haha. I'm in Canada, it was done in a hospital by a technician. They can't say anything about what they see and they send images to a radiologist who prepares a report for my file that my midwife can access. The tech was very nice, just very professional.
  • @mimigarden yep, I had a previa at my scan too. They said it resolves 90% of the time. I’ll be checked again in September. I hope that yours moves! 

Re: the techs, yeah I think this varies a lot. Ours was very sweet and was the same tech who did all the u/s on DS before he was born for his kidney follow ups and she remembered me. So she did say what she was looking at, but in terms of any abnormalities the doctor communicates them at the end when he comes in for a brief look (at my practice, anyway). For DS's she didn't say anything at all was concerning and we didn't know until the doctor came in to speak to us at the end. 
  • The tech who did mine is always super friendly and talkative. We have a bit of history though because she was my tech with my last pregnancy. So when she saw me again she was extremely happy to see me. She told me about everything she was seeing and we made small talk the entire time. 
  • blg116blg116 member
    Had my anatomy scan yesterday. Definitely still a boy. My OB said if he sees any issues he'll call me, otherwise we'll go over it at my next appointment on the 30th. The tech didn't see anything that she seemed worried about, though (or has a really good poker face), so I'm thinking everything will be fine. 

The little turd did flip us off though, so he's grounded 😂

Hes measuring about a week ahead of the due date we've been going off of, so we shall see what happens there. 
  • Hi! Had my anatomy scan on Tuesday! We found out that he is a boy! Our first boy! Doctor said that everything looked great with baby and my placenta but he was moving so much that they didn’t get a good look at his heart so we get to see him again at our next visit.