February 2020 Moms

Twinning!

Holy smokes! It’s TWINS! 
Tell me about how you found out! How far along? What are your thoughts and feelings? 

We found out today after an early scan at 5 weeks and 4 days. I had some spotting and my doctor asked me to come in. I was SHOCKED when he laughed and told me that there was no sign of bleeding internally so it my bleeding was external irritation from progesterone suppositories, but said that I had more than one thing to think about because I have 2 sacs measuring 1 and 2 days ahead!  
Our family is growing through IVF and we have had some heartbreak through our secondary infertility. We were given a 25% chance of becoming pregnant through IVF and less than 10% chance of twins after that. We had 2 fair graded embryos and no genetic testing.  Our doctor was just as shocked and excited as we are to see that both have survived and thrived! The practice specializes in Singleton pregnancies, so we are a rare twinning for them. The whole clinic is excited and thrilled for us!  It’s early, yet, so we still have a ways to go, but our heartbeat scan is scheduled for 7/28!  

I am absolutely stunned to know I have 2 in there!

Re: Twinning!

• Awww! Congrats to you!!  <3
  • Thank you! We are so excited!
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats, @merigoround! Will be interesting to see how many more moms in the group join your ranks. 
  • Ahhh congrats!! 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • @plusbabymakes8 Dang! Congrats! 
    TW
    BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
    Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's
  • I just left our first appointment and we are having twins too!  I’m shocked!  This will be our second set!  Congratulations to you on your thriving little beans! That’s so exciting!
    I guess you better change your screen name now. Congratulations!
  • @plusbabymakes8 @merigoround congrats to you both!! Exciting :) 
  • edited June 2019
    @DDRRT1982 I didn’t even think about that! I still just can’t believe it! 😳
  •  @newmommyjen8 congrats! You are so right! Exciting and nerve wrecking!  How long do you have to wait until your next appt?

have either of you ladies told friends/family etc yet?  So far just my husband and best friend know I’m pregnant and it’s two again. I just can’t bring myself to tell anyone else yet! 
  • Wow! Double sets of twins! That’s amazing!
  • We have only told my MIL. It wasn’t met with much enthusiasm. 
    I have an 11 year old from my previous marriage, but this is the first and second for my husband. His sister and her wife are expecting in September. I think his mom is hyper focused on having her first grandchild so she isn’t all that interested in us right now. I’m alright with that since she’s not my biggest fan.
    im looking forward to telling my mom, though. I am planning on making her a little gift with 2 onesies to tell her. She’s going to be so excited! 
  • @merigoround that sucks that your MIL wasn’t very excited about it. Hopefully she will come around, especially for your husband’s sake, since this is his first time becoming a dad.
  • merigoroundmerigoround member
    edited June 2019
    @therealbitts  there is hope, but, if she doesn’t we will be okay.  My husband deserves better, but we have no control over how she feels about it. She has a lot going on, so I hope that her life gets a little easier. 
    My husband has been talking about us traveling to New Hampshire for his sister’s baby shower. While the thought doesn’t thrill me for several reasons, I will happily go if it smooths things out. 
    Either way, we will be very happy and they will come around when they are ready.
  • @merigoround I haven’t told my MIL yet because i know she wont be thrilled either. Actually I don’t expect my parents to be really happy nor my sister who’s been struggling with fertility for a few years now. Hopefully they all come around. But it definitely puts a damper on things. 
  • @alseltzer congratulations!!! 
    edited June 2019
    @plusbabymakes8 I’m so sorry that your family is going to meet the news with disapproval or disappointment.  it’s such crap! 
    As for your sister, I can understand how she will feel. I know it’s not fair to you in so many ways, but, having just come out of the infertility journey myself, I do understand the initial feelings of jealousy, sadness and anger. Hopefully she will feel happy for you too. Especially if you handle her with kindness when you tell her the news. 
    My SIL went from never ever wanting kids to hearing about us starting IVF after moving on from medicated cycles and IUIs back in November. She and her wife suddenly changed their minds without telling anyone.(which is fine, it’s what the did next that wasn’t)  SIL heard about us at Thanksgiving and by January she was pregnant. Her wife supplied the eggs and she is the carrier. When she called to tell my husband, she conferenced in my MIL and proceeded to say, “I’m so excited to be the first one to be pregnant! I mean, I figured you would have 3 by now! But don’t worry, we used [wife’s] eggs and she’s 25. I’m sure you’ll get a baby someday...” which when met with a “congratulations. We are very happy for you, but that comment was unnecessary and a little mean.” By my husband. Both she and my MIL went in on how we are overly sensitive and selfish and OBVIOUSLY it just happens...  I blocked my SIL after that because she was so cruel to my husband and so unrepentant for making nasty comments about me. She had no idea what it is like to see a negative pregnancy test and feel such emptiness and failure. I couldn’t stand to watch her pregnancy posts or his family gushing over her. I removed myself for my own sanity. I still cannot engage with her or her pregnancy.  It would have been so different if she had told us about her joy and acknowledged us in any way. It didn’t need to be about us, but a “I really want to share how excited we are to have a baby! I know you are going through a lot on your journey and I want you to know that I love and support you.  I want you to be a part of this joy and celebrate that our family is growing and I want you to have a special place in our child’s life.” 

I only tell you this as one struggler to a friend. Give your sister love and I truly hope that she will reciprocate. I understand that we can’t control our family or their reactions though and I’m so sorry that you feel so isolated from your relatives. I hope your family rallies in the same way. 
  • @alseltzer  welcome to the club!!! How exciting! 
  • Congrats @Swiftlet ! That’s so exciting!
  • Hey!
    finally feeling better! Almost normal again!  Except for being starving all the time! (Please tell me I’m not the only one!). Not much for showing yet. Just had a doc appt and everything looks good. So I’m trying to stay positive and relaxed this time around.  
    Maybe we should turn this into a weekly update?   Would be nice to check in with you ladies more!
  • @alseltzer thanks for bumping the thread!
     Congrats on getting to the end of the progesterone! I was able to stop mine at 9 weeks 4 days. It’s a relief to not have to get a shot every night! 

@plusbabymakes8 I think a check in is a great idea!

i had my last appointment on Wednesday. I’ve gained an astonishing 9 lbs! Thankfully the doctor wasn’t concerned about it. 
    Both the babies heart rates were 165 and they were both measuring on track. I couldn’t have asked for a better result! 

Im not showing yet. I am just fatter. 😒
  • Hi guys :)

@alseltzer they let me stop my
    suppositories at 8 weeks- whew! Hope you’re feeling better soon :)

@plusbabymakes8 I’d love it to be weekly too!

@merigoround glad everything looks good! 

AFM, I’ve finally felt human on the zofran they gave me, but the last couple days I’ve been having break through nausea, so I dunno if it’s ramping up for one last hurrah for what, haha. My next appointment is August 14th with the perinatologist and then later that day with my regular OB! 
  • I’m glad you’re feeling better @Swiftlet

so, have you guys read When You’re Expecting Twins, Triplets or Quads? My doctor recommended it to me and it’s amazing! There is amazing advice on all topics!
     I was so happy to have tangible weight gain and nutrition advice! I’m also preparing to meet with a maternity dietician! This is probably the one area where I personally have had the most stress because I worried about gaining too much. 
  • Seriously the best book!  I read it with my last pregnancy and it was SO helpful!  Definitely reading the nutrition parts again this time!

anyone else have any spotting?  I’ve had some off and on this past week and been on pelvic rest/modified bed rest which is easier said than done. I have an appt Monday just to check on things but it’s hard not to worry constantly. I know this should probably have gone in the symptoms thread but it seems more common among multiples so thought I would ask you ladies. 
  • @plusbabymakes8I haven't experienced any spotting yet, but I understand your worrying.  I hope all goes well at your appointment! 

Personally my nausea has reached new extremes once I reached 12w. I thought it was supposed to get better. Wondered if any of you twin mommas were having bad nausea still too, or if I'm just a special case. I think I'm going to have to ask the doc if there's anything else I can do to help with nausea. I'm afraid I'm not eating enough/keeping enough down. Luckily I have an appoint Monday as well.
  • SwiftletSwiftlet member
    edited August 2019
    @merigoround Thanks for sharing the recommendation, I will definitely look for it! I'm 12 weeks tomorrow and I've gained 18lbs. I'm not going to lie, it is REALLY hard for me mentally as I lost 60lbs and kept it off for two years and was feeling the best ever and now I feel like a big bloated balloon :( It doesn't help that I'm having major food aversions (mostly having problems opening the refrigerator and cooking right now) so I'm looking into a meal prep service for a bit.
    @plusbabymakes8 I've been spotting basically the whole time. First they chalked it up to my progesterone suppositories, then I had a big, red bleed that freaked me out but everything was OK, but I do have a small SCH. My next appt is in a week so we'll see how it all looks. Every time I've asked they've told me not to worry unless it's red blood and a lot of it so I feel like I've become pretty chill about it, haha.
    @alseltzer I got zofran at my 9 week appointment and it's been a game changer. However, the last two weeks I've been having break through nausea (mostly AM and evening) and I still can't handle a lot of smells or the idea of certain food. Obviously I'm not having trouble eating enough anymore though :D

• Well, at 12 weeks and 6 days, we went for the NT scan with the perinatologist. 
    Twin A looks perfect in every way.
    Twin B either had not developed or has a severely under developed foot. The searched the ultrasound for 2 hours, but there is nothing there. My baby is disabled on one leg.

we were ushered into an hour and a half of genetics counseling.  I was told that I should have CVS testing done immediately and I was scheduled for the procedure the next day at 7:45 in the morning.

the next day I had another hour of genetics counseling where I was told that, to the best of their knowledge, this is probably an isolated defect and will only be a physical disability and nothing more serious. That is a relief. We are waiting for the results of the CVS, but in the meantime, I’ve already been referred to the pediatric orthopedics department for assessment in the hospital after delivery.  I’ve been prepped to expect that surgery is very likely for my infant. But, a prosthesis will be fitted as soon as possible so this baby will learn to stand on two legs and walk to have a normal life.

Im hopeful, but I’m still heartbroken. There is a lot of guilt even though I did nothing to cause this. There is blame from other family members who just don’t understand that congenital defects aren’t always caused by known agents. This is very difficult even though I have so much to be grateful for.
    edited August 2019
    @daffodil_shoe thank you. I am very grateful that there are so many success stories. I know that this baby will be fine in the long run.
    what is most heartbreaking for me, isn’t that there just isn’t a foot. It’s what people who are ignorant will say and how they will inevitably hurt my child for being different. I have a congenital defect that left me with a prosthetic eye for my entire life. I was hurt so deeply almost every day throughout childhood and my teenage years. I got over it when I was older, but those were incredibly dark times where I often felt so isolated and unwanted that I attempted to take my own life.  I can not control the inevitably ignorant and cruelly phrased question, “what’s wrong with your foot?” Because people are curious and don’t understand that you don’t tell someone that something is wrong with them or something happened to them to make them different.  That’s a form of empathy that has to be learned and most people have never had a reason to learn that lesson. I don’t take any pride or joy in knowing that my child will have to be a starting point for people to begin learning, because it’s a lesson that begins at the expense of my child’s sense of worth. I know, because I’ve lived it first hand. 
    So, my pain has everything to do with the emotional side of being disabled and absolutely nothing to do with the belief that hardship will hold my child back.  This baby is very lucky to be born into a family with the drive and the means to spare no expense to make sure that whatever medical technology has to offer, they will have the best of. 
    We are already looking at moving, most likely to Boston. We are going to be near the best care, in an area with higher achieving academics and socio economics, we will lay the groundwork to leave as little room for tolerance of ignorance as possible. I won’t raise my child in the south with a disability because my experience with it has been that there is a culture of ignorance and fear that supports bullying here. This has completely changed our lives.
  • @merigoround, it sounds like you have a great team of doctors surrounding you. 
  • @merigoround you absolutely did nothing to cause this.  I know it hurts to hear ignorant comments, but they aren’t true.  Your baby is well loved and will definitely have every opportunity to live a full life regardless of differences.  
  • @merigoround I am so sorry for your heartache and the way people's ignorance and thoughtlessness may harm your child. AND you are so strong and already doing so much to make sure this kiddo will be ok. 😘