September 2019 Moms

GTKY-- I was today years old when...

What is something you've been saying or thought wrong until recently?

Re: GTKY-- I was today years old when...

• I am the queen of mispronouncing words. So I'm sure I'll think of others.

Until very recently I thought that the word spelled "woah" was produced wo-a. I would even say it like that.

My friend was telling me last night that she thought a chest of drawers was a Chesterdrawer lol.

• edited June 2019
    My science friend @LJMoon6 might lol hard at this the most...

I was in 3rd grade when we had a Halloween party at the school and my teacher used dry ice to make some spooky “mist”. She told us all not to touch the dry ice with our tiny delicate child hands or it would IMMEDIATELY give us frostbite...

...11 years later, and more importantly...a Chemistry bachelor’s degree later, I still believed it. I learned my teacher lied to me the day I yelled “NOOOOOOOO” to my coworker as he went to grab some dry ice barehanded from my company’s gigantic dry ice chest for an out of freeze later that day (the scoop was there along with a glove, he was just being lazy). He was stunned and laughed so hard at me. 🥶

eta autocorrect fail
  • Loading the player...
  • @lillywonderland hahaaaaa too good! I haven't heard that before, but I probably would have believed it too 😂.
  • Wait, so dry ice wont mess you up if you happen to grab it? 
    I was today years old. 
    Same goes for the hail correction. 
  • I wasn’t going to have one to share but now...

I was today years old when I learned dry ice won’t immediately fuck your shit up. 😂

I distinctly remember a grade school demonstration where they blew up a latex glove, put it in some dry ice or whatever, and then shattered it upon taking it out. Kid me remembers them saying that’s what would happen to your hand, but now I’m thinking kid me just remembered it incorrectly. 
  • Jumping on the "today years old" when I learned that you can apparently touch dry ice without getting hurt?? Why do the meal delivery services have it all packaged up then & warn you not to touch it too??
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • Wait.  Hard as hail?!?!?!  I had no idea.  Good to know!  That makes so much more sense.
  • Glad to know I'm not the only one!! :D

If you hold onto it in your hand balled up in a fist for more than like 30 seconds it will do some frostbite-potential damage, but not if you just touch it.
  • @lillywonderland Also thought dry ice would make body parts fall off... 
  • +1 for just learning about dry ice not melting your skin off today

I recently learned that assorted chocolates have letter on the top letting you know what’s inside. I thought they were just random swirls! 

• @duewithpu2 Also todays years old learning that.... Off to find chocolates! 
  • @duewithpu2 Yup didn't know that either! 
  • You guys are making me feel a lot better. I learned it from a coworker when all the ladies in the office got chocolates for some reason, and she made it sound like I was the dumbest person on earth for not knowing lol
  • @duewithpu2 You just improved my life with that information.  Now I can never have the displeasure of a raspberry surprise again!  Yesss!
  • I'M LEARNING SO MUCH TODAY!!
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• A couple of months ago MH lost it when we were singing along to Stevie Nicks’ Edge of Seventeen. Turns out the lyrics are not actually “just like the one-winged dove”.
  • @cammie0526 Your story made me think of a funny misheard lyric story:

A few years ago my sister and I were on a driving adventure in Montana and listening to music and "She Drives Me Crazy" came on.  Singing along, I sang "She drives me crazy, ooh, ooh.  Oh my god. Ooh. ooh".  Meanwhile, my sister had grabbed my hair as part of her dance moves, which I didn't get at all.  Then she goes - OMG you totally have the lyrics wrong, it's: "She drives me crazy, ooh, ooh.  That long blonde hair.  Ooh. ooh".  So we had a really good laugh about that. 

Fast-forward to today where I just looked up the lyrics to make sure I had the song title correct and guess what!  Neither one of us was right.  Actual lyrics: 
    "She drives me crazy, ooh, ooh.  Like no one else.  Ooh. ooh".
  • @duewithpu2 definitely today years old learning that one!
    @lillywonderland a kid in college stuck his whole hand in some dry ice (on a dare? can't remember) and some friends were talking about it and that was when I learned the results weren't instant catastrophe - presumably he knew that beforehand.
    Also had no idea about hard as hail - I guess that does make more sense.
  • @cammie0526 ....then what are they?? 🤣

Song lyric fail: there is a song to this day I still sing as ‘like a ham and cheese sandwich’ but am drawing a blank on what the actual song is. Unhelpful. 

I also saw saw on Facebook recently that the numbers on a toaster represent the number of minutes and not the ‘degree of toasty’, however, I have been making A LOT of chicken patty sandwiches lately (if you don’t make your chicken patty in the toaster, you’re missing out) and I very much think this was misinformation.

** runs off to buy a box of chocolates to test this swirl theory **