October 2019 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• @perfectlove09 I've always heard opposite, the first comes early. Didn't happen for me for either, both were inductions😔

• @perfectlove09 I've always heard opposite, the first comes early. Didn't happen for me for either, both were inductions😔
    It’s incredible the differences we all hear and read! 
    I think a lot of people find it easier (which is understandable) to be in a “box”. They area where they know what to expect, how things will happen, etc. but with 7 billion people on the planet there’s no one size fits all. 
    With my first I was so dead set on going past my due date that I was in denial when I was actually in labor and I was 3 days “early”. 😂

we did Bradley Method coaching and for 12 weeks we heard that the average gestational period without any interventions was 41.5 weeks. And I just kept that in my mind for so long that I didn’t think I was in labor. (I can go into that in the birth stories thread)

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • Loading the player...
  • SLou24SLou24 member
    @perfectlove09 Yes so many variables!! In my friend group, we have almost all gone late and ended up with C-sections. But in my S16 group, there were so many early, late, and everything in between. You just never know!
  • I just got a call from my OB’s office and my glucose screening came back normal but I am anemic.  She advised me to start taking an iron supplement which may cause some constipation.  Any of the STM/TTM+ have any advice on being anemic? 
  • @emily1052 I took iron last time, and yes, got a bit stopped up. It did help with later term fatigue, though. Just up your dietary fiber and take a stool softener, if needed.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Is anyone else having body aches when they wake up or a hard time sleeping due to pain on one or both sides? I had a HORRIBLE last night, where I had weird dreams that just threw me off, but I also could not get comfortable and was having pain in both left and right sides, so much that it woke me up at 3:30am. I use a regular body pillow and have a Snoogle that I don't really like to use (it keeps me in one position all night since it's hard to turn while using it). Any other suggestions (or commiserations) are appreciated  :/
    TTC #1: September 2013, BFP 01/01/14, DS 09/14
    TTC #2: October 2018, BFP 02/02/19, EDD 10/14/19

• @emily1052 I am a FTM so not sure if this is helpful but I am anemic and have been taking Slow Fe since about 8 weeks. I take it at night and haven't had any stomach problems or constipation worse than what I would consider normal pregnancy constipation. 
  • @perfectlove09 I did the same thing with my first! I went into labor 2 days “early” and I was in denial the whole time thinking I would be a week late.  I sat at work all day thinking “these Braxton Hicks really suck, real contractions just must be horrible” haha. My second was a whole week late so it really can vary. 
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    The only more accurate than not that I’ve heard is that the second typically swings in the opposite direction of the first (like, if your first is early, second is more likely to be late and vice versa).

”dropping” doesn’t mean anything. Everyone swore I’d go early with DS1 when I dropped at 32/33w. Nope. He was born after my EDD. 

DS2 was hanging really low for weeks before it was time
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • SLou24SLou24 member
    @stephanie123456 YES. My hips are so achy, especially at night. I do have hip pains normally at night but this is so much worse since I have to sleep on one side or the other. I miss sleeping on my stomach so much.
  • @SLou24 It sucks so bad. It definitely is the hips, because I wake up most mornings just so sore on my left side, which is how I typically sleep. 

• @SLou24 @stephanie123456 my hips get horribly achy too.  Sleeping with a pillow in between my legs helps and I also got a pregnancy pillow
  • @stephanie123456 I was going to say what @dogmom5 said about a pillow between my knees helping with hip pain. I have a $20 body pillow from BBB and it allows me to snuggle it and put a part between my knees, without making me feel confined. I flip around a lot at night, and this doesn't disrupt my sleep or urge to move, but it does stay in place for the most part.
    DD 10/2019
  • @cmbt2 Yas! Everyone told me when DS dropped, he was coming 4th of July weekend 🙄 nope. Almost a week after that actually. I kept hearing the first is the early one, then the next ones are later. My older two were both 2 day inductions. I want to get my hopes up this one will be my early one 😂 I was so upset when neither of them came on time. Especially my DD cause DSs bday is 7/8/15 and her due date was 1/16/17. I love numbers that add, our wedding date is 10/10/20. So she messed my pattern up coming the 20th 😂😂

• @SLou24 It sucks so bad. It definitely is the hips, because I wake up most mornings just so sore on my left side, which is how I typically sleep. 
    One pillow may not be not enough for you either. My chiro said that your thigh bones should be parallel to each other so there is no pull on either hip. I need two pillows to achieve this - game changer!!
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @cmbt2 Yas! Everyone told me when DS dropped, he was coming 4th of July weekend 🙄 nope. Almost a week after that actually. I kept hearing the first is the early one, then the next ones are later. My older two were both 2 day inductions. I want to get my hopes up this one will be my early one 😂 I was so upset when neither of them came on time. Especially my DD cause DSs bday is 7/8/15 and her due date was 1/16/17. I love numbers that add, our wedding date is 10/10/20. So she messed my pattern up coming the 20th 😂😂
    DS1 came at 40w4d, and DS2 at 39w2d 🤷🏼‍♀️ I was kinda hoping DD would be a due date baby to even things out lol (we’ll evict prior). The only thing that held true for me was DS2 was way faster than DS1 when I started having true contractions
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • @dogmom5 @meagan-t I have too many pillows, both "pregnancy" specific and a "straight" body pillow. But I'm still uncomfortable. I think I Googled this morning and another suggestion was putting a pillow in the small of my back area so I can lean back so I'm going to try that tonight. It just makes me miserable thinking I got 16-17 more weeks of pain  :#

• @stephanie123456 I hope that works for you or that you find some relief sometime soon! 
  • Have any of you ladies bought baby clothes from Zulily?  They have some adorable prints but I’m not sure what the quality is.   
  • @emily1052 Me! I have. It's fine quality. It's more brand specific in terms of the quality. But I think zulily sells pretty good brands. You can't do returns to them though, which is annoying. So I'd start with buying one or two things and if you're not happy don't buy from them again. I've bought a few jackets and a pair of kid rain boots. All were great.
  • When is it a good time to start shopping for baby clothes and setting up the nursery and registry and all of that fun stuff. I am 23 weeks and I feel so far behind on getting ready for our baby... this is our second pregnancy but going to be a FTM so we haven't even really thought of getting ready out of fear that we are going to lose this pregnancy again. Also any advice on what classes to sign up for and when? I tried asking my OB yesterday but she ignored the question to celebrate how on track my weight have been lol. We plan on breastfeeding also. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!
  • @sailorserenity I'd say go for it now! You'll feel great having that weight lifted from your shoulders and one less thing to worry about.

Regarding classes, see which ones are offered by your hospital and sign up for those that seem important to you, including a hospital tour.

Have you looked into getting a pump (if you plan to pump at all) through insurance? A lot of insurance plans pay 100%.
    DD 10/2019
  • I want to say my insurance cover pumps. Would I have to go to the hospital we plan on delivering at to sign up for classes and are they free/ do insurance usually cover classes? It's silly but I live 40 mins away from our delivering hospital and my employment is an hour away. That was unfortunately our only option.
  • I want to say my insurance cover pumps. Would I have to go to the hospital we plan on delivering at to sign up for classes and are they free/ do insurance usually cover classes? It's silly but I live 40 mins away from our delivering hospital and my employment is an hour away. That was unfortunately our only option.
    I was able to sign up online through my hospital, but yours may be different. I'm not sure if insurance pays for it, but I know we paid out of pocket. Some classes are only one day, so you may be able to plan it that way.
    DD 10/2019
  • @dogmom5 @meagan-t I have too many pillows, both "pregnancy" specific and a "straight" body pillow. But I'm still uncomfortable. I think I Googled this morning and another suggestion was putting a pillow in the small of my back area so I can lean back so I'm going to try that tonight. It just makes me miserable thinking I got 16-17 more weeks of pain  :#
    The pillow in the small of your back was so helpful for me. 
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • @sailorserenity I don’t think it’s too early to start a registry!  I made a registry pretty early with my first, but didn’t make it public until later so that might be a good option for you. I think most showers are 4-6 weeks before the due date so you have plenty of time to add things and make changes. As far as the breast pump, my insurance did not cover the purchase of a breastpump 100% but they did cover renting one. Sounds kind of weird but I was able to go to a specific pharmacy the next day and “check one out.” That was five years ago and it may have changed. My sister was able to work with a doctor to get a hospital grade pump as well so you may want to check with your doctor or hospital about that option. It made a huge difference for her. 
  • I took a little digger at lunch today and scraped up my leg.  I caught myself so didn’t fall on the bump.  The only concerning thing is how bruised it looks and how quickly it got that way.  Would being anemic have anything to do with that?  Debating calling my OB but I think I’m being just a little too “FTM overly cautious”.  

• @emily1052 Ouch! I did the same thing to the same leg in May. I also didn't fall on my belly, which was important. I will say that my leg started bleeding and bled more than is normal for me for that kind of scrape (I'm not anemic), but the first aid station cleaned it up for me. I think it does that because of the increased blood volume and flow during pregnancy.

Definitely clean it up good, and maybe call your doctor just as a precaution. You should be okay, but just in case, it's better for your doctor to give you that reassurance.
    DD 10/2019
  • @emily1052, I have no advice except don't worry about being "that FTM." If you are at all concerned, you should call just for your own peace of mind. Sending you hugs! ❤
  • I'm adding my own question now. 

ST/TTMs: did you feel like you needed a support belt with subsequent pregnancies? I had trouble sleeping the other night. I usually sleep hugging my body pillow but that night I needed to lay more on my side/back. I used my body pillow to keep me from being on my back completely but my bump did NOT feel good and supported. I put a small throw pillow under it and was fine. I never had that issue with DS. Now I'm feeling like my abs are shot (more then suspected) from him and not going to be any good this time around.
  • @prpl11butterfly A lot of times when I’m lounging sideways on the couch or laying on my side in bed I put a pillow under the bump to relieve achiness. I don’t remember doing that with DS
  • SLou24SLou24 member
    @prpl11butterfly I never needed a support belt with DD, but this time around I feel like I need one already. Not for sleep, just for every day— my SI joints (low back) hurt so much already 😩
  • @prpl11butterfly I'm only a FTM, but I've found that if I don't support my bump when lying down, my back, thighs, knees, and pelvis hurt, especially when going to stand up. I bought a Boppy pregnancy wedge on Amazon (though it looks like Buy Buy Baby has them too) and it helps somewhat. Sometimes I just wedge it under the bump, other times I place it between my knees. I'm already trying to think of ways to make things way better than this.

Women have been dealing with pregnancy for how long now? Why are there not better products for our comfort? Blah.
    DD 10/2019
  • I'm more worried about how I will be during the day since it's already at this point at night. I do have lower back and hip pain throughout the day. Its tolerable but for how long? I have plenty of pillows and such to make myself comfortable at night (though all the pillows definitely drive DH nuts 😂).
  • nnaelilaknnaelilak member
    edited June 2019
    SLou24 said:
    @prpl11butterfly I never needed a support belt with DD, but this time around I feel like I need one already. Not for sleep, just for every day— my SI joints (low back) hurt so much already 😩
    Same 😭 I feel like this happened in the third tri last time... 
  • @prpl11butterfly I started wearing a maternity belt this weekend just for the extra support in my hips and back. It slipped slightly out of place a couple times, but while it was in place, it made a huge difference! My balance was a bit better, I didn't waddle as much, and the back pain was more bearable. My bump and my overall body aren't huge by any means, but the pressure the belt provided seemed to really help keep things in line.
    DD 10/2019
  • I'm adding my own question now. 

ST/TTMs: did you feel like you needed a support belt with subsequent pregnancies? I had trouble sleeping the other night. I usually sleep hugging my body pillow but that night I needed to lay more on my side/back. I used my body pillow to keep me from being on my back completely but my bump did NOT feel good and supported. I put a small throw pillow under it and was fine. I never had that issue with DS. Now I'm feeling like my abs are shot (more then suspected) from him and not going to be any good this time around.
    Yes. Been wearing a support belt for about 3 weeks now, off an on. A lot the first couple of days and the last week I've left it off mostly. With DD1 I never needed one and with DD2 I feel like I got it out a lot later in the game.
    The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• Has anyone gotten a Brazilian wax this far along? I really want to go in and I have a gift card to a spa and wondering if it would be brutal ℓσℓ I’m just in NO mood to shave, can’t see what I’m doing anyway and want the hair gone. 
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • @perfectlove09 not this pregnancy (although I have one scheduled for next week) but I got them my entire last pregnancy! I found them to be only slightly less uncomfortable than when I wasn't pregnant 🤷🏼‍♀️