December 2019 Moms

weekly randoms 6/17-6/23

Re: weekly randoms 6/17-6/23

• Tonight’s Dateline is about a murder that happened in my town!! 
  • Oooh! I love a good Dateline!
  • Loading the player...
  • What’s the episode called?
  • It’s called Before Midnight.  It’ll be interesting to see how much this covers! The trial recently ended.
  • @sunshineandlemons oooh! Always interesting! 

Any Big Little Lies fans?
  • I had my window down this morning in the drive-thru for coffee, and I sneezed. A guy walking into the store said "bless you!" :D 
  • I let my dog sleep in our bed for the first time since we got him. Husband has been out of town for over a week, not expected back for another few days, I was lonely, and said, "Screw it." I may have just set a dangerous precedent, because now he's going to expect that he can stay in our room...which will make "private time" difficult when husband comes home.

Regretting last night's moment of weakness. But not going to lie, it was also nice to have my furbaby to cuddle last night.
  • @rjgmcmanus You’re in good company! I always have the dogs in bed with me when H is gone. One will even get in bed with me if I go to bed early and always gets down when H comes to bed. She’s my loyal girl- by my side when I’m sick, etc.  
  • @sunshineandlemons It was actually just so nice! He's such a good boy. But I am a little worried about what'll happen when DH comes home, if he'll think he can still join us. Hopefully we can get him into a groove where yes, he's allowed in bed when DH is gone, but he has to sleep in his own bed when DH is home.
  • CapricaAndreaCapricaAndrea member
    edited June 2019
    @jandawg Have you seen the new Taylor Swift video yet? Lots of Drag Race alumni in it dressed as current pop stars! Jade Jolie as TSwift herself is just perfect. 

Also @anniemarie887 I couldn't help thinking this morning "ah yes, you can tell she's a boss lady" when I saw who started all the weekly threads this morning :D That is a straight up compliment by the way, not a jab!
  • @CapricaAndrea I LOVE dragrace and that video is amazing!!!!!! Did u see any of Ru’s talkshow on YouTube? It’s pretty good! He’s airing it on YouTube to see what response it gets then will try to take it to the tv! 
  • @ktmaesim I didn't even know that was a thing! I'll have to look into it, thanks!
  • @CapricaAndrea yes! I love anything drag or ru! Haha
  • Anyone have any suggestions on baby-mobiles? My husband will be losing his company car in September, and we just have a truck so we will need to get another vehicle. We originally test drove a ton of SUVs, the Volvo XC90, BMW X5, and then Toyota Highlander, Kia Sorrento....etc. I’d appreciate any opinions or thoughts on cars that moms here already have and enjoy! Even if it’s a car, lemme know! I am completely confused as what to get bc we have a truck we definitely want to keep here for our awful Chicago winters. 

I loved the Volvo & BMW but they’re just too much for us, I think I was daydreaming lol

I'm also anti-minivan unless it’s the Honda Odessey, those things are like a luxury airline! 🤣
  • @ktmaesim I don't actually have one (yet) but pretty much every time I see this topic come up, the Honda CRV is very highly recommended. 
  • @ktmaesim I got a Tahoe in March that I absolutely love. We need 4 wheel drive too and it was a little intimidating at first but I feel like a boss driving it now! It has a huge storage space in the back and the backseat is roomy. A big plus is the air vents in the backseat, they’re on a separate control and in the ceiling. I had a 4Runner before this and DS complained every car ride that the vents sucked, they were in the bottom of the center console. If you’re not ready to jump to a tank I also liked the Highlander a lot we just have too many dogs for something that small.
  • @ktmaesim I just returned my Volvo XC60, I loved it and worked for one child. I knew trunk space would be too small for a double stroller and the xc90 was too expensive even though I love it. We ended up leasing the Honda Pilot. I really enjoy it and love how big it is. 
  • Some women are so cute when pregnant, but it has already become apparent that  I'm not one of them.  I can definitely relate more to Amy Schumer than Meghan Markle🙄
    Ditto.  I look like I'm getting a beer belly.  I already have a lot of abdominal fat thanks to the insane amount of stress from work last year.  My fears of parenting are going away as my desire to no longer be pregnant grows.
  • ninrmsninrms member
    @blueskychicago12 @bookworm492 Lol, love the Schumer/Markle comment. I'm right there with you. I've hardly gained any weight yet (shocking, as I've always struggled with my weight), but I swear my face is rounder and I feel like I've swallowed a balloon. Not in a cute preggers belly way either.
  • @blueskychicago12 @ninrms @bookworm492 While I have a nice round bump my thighs and upper arms have blown up and be have ripples in them. I’m struggling with my body a lot more this time. 5 months left and I’m taking bets about how big I’ll be at delivery 😂
  • @blueskychicago12 - Yes, I wish I was a cute pregnant too! The acne and excessive amount of facial hair I have to tend to is already getting exhausting and old.
  • @blueskychicago12 @mrszoobear @ninrms @k_mama91 I keep telling people it's more food baby than actual baby. Also, stepped on the scale last night (which was a mistake, should've stepped on it in the morning when I'm lightest), and it was a big "NOPE!"

My comparison is I feel more like a pregnant Lucy Ricardo in "I Love Lucy" than, say, Kate Middleton. No grace over here. No princess class. Lots of "WAAAAAAAH!" And all the chocolate.
  • ninrmsninrms member
    Haha, I adore all of you lovely ladies!!

@rjgmcmanus I tend to weigh myself first thing in the morning, too. I feel like it's the best way for me to accurately track my weight. Last Saturday was my sister's graduation party, and apparently I pigged out big time. I weighed a full EIGHT POUNDS MORE than I had the day before. I've been eating better and exercising every day, and am (almost) back to what I was pre-party, but I was fairly convinced I had gained at least five real pounds lol. 
  • @ninrms That's insane! I feel like pregnancy in general is just one big WTF.
  • I feel caught in an unknown age bracket. My hometown (were I still live) is very much a small podunk town. Basically if you don't have kids 2.5 kids by 21 you must be asexual or a freak. (Not my opinion obviously). 

My husband and I will be 28 when we have our first and only baby. Compared to most of the girls I went to high school with I'll be an "old mom." Which is so weird to say as I feel the 27-35 range should be more of the average or standard timeframe for a first baby.

What do you guys consider a young, average or older mom age?
  • @mrszoobear you are not old by any stretch. I’ll be 32 when I deliver and I consider that average. 
  • @mrszoobear I definitely think location has a lot to do with ideas on this, like you mentioned.  Based on my experiences in a large city, I would say anything under 30 is considered young to have your first, while 30-35 is average and having your first over 35 is still very common.  But I grew up in a midsized Ohio city, and most of my friends who stayed in the area had their babies between 28-32.
  • rjgmcmanusrjgmcmanus member
    edited June 2019
    @mrszoobear I feel oldish at 32...but this is mostly because it's our first. We want a second, and I'm worried about age for that one. If I were having our second right now and we'd started a couple years ago, I'd say I'm in the average. I think you're average--25-30 seems about a good range to me. Younger is too young, and older, while not too old by any means, does bring along its own complications. But that's all personal opinion. I don't think there's really a right answer to that.
  • @mrszoobear, I had my first two weeks before I turned 31 and will be 34 when I have my December baby. I don’t feel like an older mom at all, but maybe because I probably still feel like I’m 23, haha!  

I consider 28-33, realistically even up to 35 as average. I wonder, if as more women have babies at older ages, if the statistics for increased complications will decrease.
  • @rjgmcmanus @ninrms my bathroom scale broke two weeks ago, and I've been putting off getting a new one because I dont really want to know.  I suppose I *should* keep tabs to try to be sure I'm on a healthy track, but watching the numbers climb in a bit of a bummer. I'm pretty sure I have surpassed my husband's weight now and that's not a great feeling😆
  • @blueskychicago12 I need to get rid of mine, lol. It makes me angry. I'm gaining at a mostly healthy rate, I think, but it's hard to tell, because I'm also constipated all the time and I think some of that weight is literally crap. Either way, coming from someone who lost 30 pounds 10 years ago and has been able to keep it off, it's messing with my mind seeing it slowly climb back on.
  • @rjgmcmanus I had my first at 32 (well turned 33 before she was born) and now I'm 35 (will turn 36 2 months before he will be born). I got married at 30- almost 31 so couldn't really have kids sooner even if I wanted to! Don't let age freak you out....plently of women are having kids over 35, its so dumb that the medical community still makes a big deal about being AMA. 
  • @Spartanrd4 That actually makes me feel better. Thank you. I've seriously had at least 3 people come up to me in recent weeks and say, "You know if you want a second, you're going to have to start trying again right away." UMMMM, RUDE. How about being supportive and letting me get through this one first? People suck.
  • @Spartanrd4 Also, same boat-- I'd just turned 30 when we got married. Couldn't have tried earlier unless we wanted a honeymoon baby...which we didn't.
  • @rjgmcmanus I feel like there was more pressure to have a second kid sooner because of my age and "I didn't have time to wait" but we really didn't feel ready to start trying until we did. I am much more comfortable my kids being almost 3 years apart- 2 under 2 sounded horrifying (especially 2 in diapers- no thanks)!! 
  • @Spartanrd4 That's how we feel too! 2-3 years apart works for us. But we've already started getting the question, "So when will you start trying for the second?" LET ME BIRTH THIS ONE FIRST.
  • @rjgmcmanus Don't let anyone pressure you into rushing baby #2!  I got married at 33 and we still took our sweet time (37 now).  I'm glad because I think I would have had a lot more anxiety if I hadn't done things on my own timeline.