1st Trimester

Sudden extreme diarrhea 😥Should I worry??

marieramariera member
edited June 2019 in 1st Trimester
Hi all, 
I am currently 9w+3d pregnant and have only had some nausea (no vomiting) up till now. Yesterday after dinner (Tofu/Quinoa/Veggies all cooked) I started to feel unwell. A few hours later I had major intestinal cramping and diarrhea (completely liquid). For the next few hours I repeatedly had diarrhea until all was out. I felt shaky and weak but no fever and no vomiting. After a few hours it ended and this morning I feel weak but my intestines are calm. 

Now I am really worried that whatever I had could affect the baby. I went to my general physician but she just said "Don't worry about it! Is probably just a virus, cannot harm the baby". But I still worry. Typical :) 

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is there anyway I can know if what I had affects the baby? Would be grateful for any info/reassuring stories etc :) 

Thanks so much! 

Re: Sudden extreme diarrhea 😥Should I worry??

• b_1029b_1029 member
    edited June 2019
    If your doctor said it’s ok, it’s ok. Just make sure you replenish your liquids. 

Eta if it was just for a couple hours and was after eating, you probably just had indigestion. 
  • Please trust your doctor whether general OR OBGYN.  Sounds like you had gastroenteritis,  or virus like she said.  If it affected baby they would be way more concerned.  Women get sick while pregnant.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you! I felt like my symptoms were similar to food poisoning which had me worried. But I am trying to just trust the doctor and not worry. 
  • holly321holly321 member
    edited June 2019
    A lot of times “food poisoning “ is actually a stomach virus, that you caught from food that had been handled by a person with a stomach virus. 

Eta, while I would not be too worried, I will say I don’t trust primary care doctors with stuff related to pregnancy, it is not their specialty and they can give you incorrect information.
  • holly321 said:
    A lot of times “food poisoning “ is actually a stomach virus, that you caught from food that had been handled by a person with a stomach virus. 

Eta, while I would not be too worried, I will say I don’t trust primary care doctors with stuff related to pregnancy, it is not their specialty and they can give you incorrect information.
    Sorry, but a general practitioner isn't going to be wrong about gastroenteritis and it not having an effect on a baby.  That's ridiculous! If the GP didn't know they would have told OP to get hold of the OB/GYN.  
  • When I called my Gyn's office about the diarrhea, the receptionist told me to "take some magnesium and go to the GP" (I mean really???? Magnesium when you have explosive diarrhea?) I generally trust GPs, but in this situation they didn't really ask me about my symptoms or do any tests to tell if it was food poisoning vs. stomach virus. But now it is done and I just have to hope it was nothing serious. Probably it was just a virus. 
  • marieramariera member
    edited June 2019
    And thanks for all your answers! 
  • holly321 said:

Sorry, but a general practitioner isn't going to be wrong about gastroenteritis and it not having an effect on a baby.  That's ridiculous! If the GP didn't know they would have told OP to get hold of the OB/GYN.  
    That’s great you found a good provider, but I have heard some really ridiculous stuff on multiple occasions and by different doctors.
  • edited June 2019
    holly321 said:

I'm pretty sure @holly321 was making a general statement about GP. Not that they shouldn't be able to tell if a stomach bug would affect a pregnancy. I agree though, anything pregnancy related is out of their specialty and I'm not even sure why OP would go to her GP when she could have called her OB office. Any question about the safety of your baby goes to your OB. 

Edit: fix tag
  • I actually had something similar that lasted weeks with my first pregnancy, and when I finally had my first appt with my midwife, which I think was at like 10 weeks, she said some women have that reaction to some prenatal vitamins. I switched to a gentle plant based one (New Chapter) and it’s been smooth sailing ever since.