April 2014 Moms
Options

Heavy babies = neck/back pain

Is anyone else experiencing this? Maybe it's because I'm old, but lifting and lugging 20lbs all day every day is taking a toll on my back. I know you should lift with your knees, but seems impossible when lifting baby over the crib rails. 

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

Re: Heavy babies = neck/back pain

• Options
    I don't think Liam is 20 pounds yet, but I was definitely have back pain when I was still lugging the infant carrier around. I do see a chiropractor at least once a month and that helps keep my back properly adjusted.
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Excellent point. My back has been awful and I blame it on the mattress, but maybe it's my line-backer of a baby...
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    RrrrrachelRrrrrachel member
    edited January 2015
    Calvin is closing on thirty. I get some off and on (mostly in my shoulder) but not too bad. I baby wear a lot, even for quick trips to and from the car, and I think that helps.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I strained my neck three weeks ago and I'm still in pain, I think it's because I'm constantly carrying my 23lb baby! I'm off to the doctor this week about it.
  • Options
    DS is almost 30, and I tore my rotator cuff taking him out of the car. Damn kids.
  • Options
    I have neck pain more so than back pain. He's been able to follow me around the past month or so which makes it a bit easier but now he wants to bedshare all the time which kills my neck and back. 
    ~Chrissy 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    juniper75juniper75 member
    edited February 2015
  • Options
    My back has been terrible since I gave birth. I try not to carry/babywear as much when it is flaring up. She is around 25 lbs now
  • Options
    I have horrible pain in my left shoulder. That's the side I usually have her on when I'm holding her. I've been rotating heat and ice all day today.
  • Options
    Shoulder pain and injuries are the worst.  They have such a wide range of motion, the littlest movement can irritate it.  I bought these wraps for my carpal tunnel and had the cold back wrap. They make them for shoulder as well and may provide relief.
    https://www.kingbrand.com/Rotator_Cuff_Treatment.php?REF=34PV5.280
  • Options
    I have chronic back problems, but they are definitely worse now that dd is over 22 lbs. it was the same with ds. This year will be rough on the back, but once they are older you don't carry them around as much and it gets better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've experienced this too with my son. Of course, more weight puts more strain on your back, which results to back, shoulder, and neck pain. But I believe choosing a supportive baby carrier is crucial. Some people swear by an Ergo while others prefer a LilleBaby Carrier.

For my next child, will definitely consider either of the two.
    Found  some great suggestions here;https://backcoretherapy.com/best-baby-carrier-back-support/