August 2019 Moms

Product Spotlight: Winter (3-6mo) and Summer (9-12) Needs

Over the past many months we've touched on a lot of topics to prepare us for pregnancy, childbirth, and the newborn stage. As we wrap up our pregnancies, the Product Spotlight feature, and the whole board as we start our transition to FB, I wanted to take a peek at some product needs we may need at a later baby stage in a new three-part Older Baby Series. There's still a lot of gear to buy once we're out of the immediate newborn chaos, and it's never too early to do a little research and add to our registries. Today we'll discuss 1) seasonal needs for our particular August babies, then next week we'll explore 2) Teething and Feeding, and then 3) Babyproofing.

This group has a pretty broad geographical expanse so my mild northern California seasons won't look the same as, e.g., Canadian seasons, but at least we're all in the northern hemisphere so we'll all be tackling winter when our babies are 3-6 months old, and summer when they are 9-12 months old (I grew up in the southern hemisphere where seasons are inverted and December is high summer!). 

Winter

What clothing should we be buying in the 3-6 month sizes? Do you use super warm fleece onesies and footie pajamas, or is it easier to deal with separates at that point? A couple of big warm pieces or is layering the way to go? How do you keep those little feet warm--are there special winter booties or socks you can recommend? I feel like babyhats show up and proliferate almost spontaneously the second there's a new baby in the house, but in case we're going out and buying some, are there any hats you found to be especially warm and good? Do babies that age wear mittens or is that a lost cause--and if so, how do you keep their hands warm? Those of you in serious snowy climates, do you have puffy snowsuits to recommend? If your rainy season looks more like a neverending rainstorm instead of a snowy winter wonderland, do you bother with tiny little raincoats or boots? And what about overnight for sleeping? We can't tuck our babies into bed under a pile of covers, so do you substitute with layers and particular winter sleep sacks?

Other than dressing your babies, there are some other winter considerations. Do you deck out your carseat or stroller with any special winter accessories as you're loading up your babies in frigid temperatures? Special carseat bunting? And of course winter is cold+flu season: how do you deal with that with these tiny humans? How do you manage and treat the winter sniffles when you can't just give them a bucket of Dayquil? Winter can also be a time of rough indoor environments as well as we crank up the heat: can you recommend a humidifier to help counteract that dry air? Or any special baby lotion or mega moisturizing cream for dry delicate baby skin?

(And just for fun--winter is also the time for holiday celebrations. Are there any adorable seasonal outfits or products you have loved? Hats with reindeer antlers? Santa suits? Formal baby dresswear for family portraits?)

Summer

What clothing should we be buying in the 9-12 month sizes? As next summer rolls in our babies will be pretty mobile, either crawling everywhere or starting to take those first steps and toddle around! What are outfit ideas that will be cool for warmer temperatures and allow for good mobility? Rompers all day long? Onesies or separates? What fabrics do you recommend for maximum ventilation and coolness? And what shoes are best to provide support for those first few weeks and months of walking, but that will also be summer-appropriate? Do you put them to sleep in just a onesie so they don't get too hot overnight? And what if your baby will only sleep with the security of a sleepsack--are there lighter ones for the summer months?

Babies' skin is especially vulnerable to the sun, so we need to keep an eye on sun protection: any recommendation for summer hats, which will likely be the most important item? For additional shade, do you use portable baby tents for outings, or special pull-over shades over their strollers? Any chance you got your baby to keep on a pair of sunglasses? If you do use sunscreen, what brand is best? And if all of our precautions still don't prevent sun exposure, what can we get for sunburn treatment? Summer is also a great time for swimming fun: can anyone recommend cute and functional swimsuits or rashguards? Do you use swim shoes at that age so that they don't slip and fall as they're walking tentatively? Any fun accessories to use when playing with your baby in the water, like puddle jumpers, or floaties, or inflatable baby toys? Little blow-up baby-seats so they can float around in the pool? Do you have a set for sand toys for castle-building and sand-digging (most of which will end up in their mouths haha). Any special tips to keep babies hydrated, other than frequent offerings of bottles, sippy cups, and boob? And do you install anything at home to keep baby warm, like a fan in their room or a little portable AC?

Please share!

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlights

Re: Product Spotlight: Winter (3-6mo) and Summer (9-12) Needs

• Warning: southern mama... our babies don't wear shoes until they start walking, and then not always 😉. 

Here’s how I’m prepping for my probably-going-to-be-oversized-at-birth-and-grow-like-a-weed baby:

Newborn: Personally, I have no use for this category 

0-3: mostly sleepers and a few outfits to wear out and about (onesies and shorts/ short sleeve rompers); cute coming home outfit; we will likely be out of this size in the first six weeks; 2 boxes of size 1 diapers - may pick up one more box

3-6 months: sleepers and more actual clothes; still mostly short sleeve; a pair or two of long pants; light jacket; 3-4 boxes of size two diapers 

6-9 months: this is where “winter” will start to set in; still need short sleeve onesies for layering; pants; jackets; no large coat because it doesn’t work in a car seat and he’s not going to be playing outside; debut of socks

I won’t but anything past 9 months right now unless it’s SUPER cute and cheap (like yardsale/thrift store cheap) because there is so much variability in what could happen. 

RE: sun protection 
    Our neighborhood pool will be open until October 15th, so we will likely be there a lot with the brothers. There is ample shade, no reason to have a newborn in direct sun. I may let him take a little dip when I’m all healed up (6 week minimum). I’m more concerned about heat in the car, thinking about rigging up a battery powered fan for extra air flow in the backseat. 

RE: pajamas 
    I like one pieces until they are at least a year old. 
  • aecmaecm member
    Midwest mama here 🙋🏻‍♀️

Winter
    -PJs: for itty bitty babies I liked one piece PJs. My girl has always been tall, so I found she stayed in ones without feet longer, and I could throw socks on if her feet seemed cold (but seriously - our house is climate controlled...she sleeps at the same temp regardless of season). I’ve only switched to two piece PJs since DD potty trained.
    -LL Bean has these fantastic fleece onesies that can go over clothing but aren’t super bulky, so I feel ok putting it on for use in the car seat. I add a blanket on top of the car seat for colder days. I also used it in early winter (November) in Canada. 
    https://m.llbean.com/llb/shop/52109?pn=pd&skCatId=52109&feat=289-GN3&bc=12-627-289&csp=f
    -Check our Robeez Classic Boots Soft Soles. They’re easy to get on and off, adorable, and have a fleece lining to keep feet warm. 
    -We have a PureGuardian H965 Cool Mist Humidifier (~$30 on Amazon) and I have no complaints with it. 
    -I like Eucerin for dry baby skin. 
    -Managing winter sniffles: Infant Tylenol, a Nose Frida, and a glass of wine for mom. 

Summer:
    -Normally I order everything online, but go get your kid’s first pair of shoes fit in a store (Nordstrom or Von Maur are both good options). When they’re just starting to walk they need something that’s fit correctly. We ended up with a pair of Pediped sneakers and went from there. 
    -Teva sandals are a nice option for 1-yr-old waterproof sandals b/c they Velcro on. The following year (2yr old) Crocs are easier to slip on and off and they’re good enough at walking that they won’t be tripping in them. 
    -Bathing suits: for indoor swim lessons I LOVE iPlay swimsuits with the built-in swim diaper. But for playing outside at splash pads in the summer, I order a long-sleeve two-piece rashguard suit from Rufflebutts.com and get a couple plain old iPlay swim diapers to put under it. Adorable and functional. 
    -We have a Little Tykes Spiralin’ Seas water table that DD really likes, even when there’s
    no water in it. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ill address this in similar fashion to @thirdtimesacharm2019

I'm in Southern Arizona, so it'll be around 100 until September and usually pretty mild until Halloween when we have our first freeze. Daytime highs in November/December/January are super hit or miss and change drastically from week to week...it could be rainy and in the 40s or sunny and in the 70s. Last winter we even had a few days of real snow and it never got above freezing. All that to say, seasons mean nothing here so I'll have some of everything for each size after NB. We keep our house around 72 year round.

Newborn: I bought a few new things - one outfit (potential going home outfit) and a few footless sleepers that are long sleeve. Between hand me downs from my girls that were neutral and yard sale stuff, I have 15ish onsies, 10 sleepers (some fuzzy, some lightweight), and a few pairs of pants. Most of the time at this age my kids wear onsies during the day and a sleeper at night with a sleep sack/swaddler. Both of my girls fit NB stuff for a while, but they were pretty small babies (6lb1oz and 7lb4oz). This boy is measuring big, so he may not fit for long, which is why I am not buying anything else new.

0-3: This is mostly warmer weather stuff - lots of short sleeve onsies, some pants for going out in public, and sleepers for pajamas. I have a few long sleeve onsies (hand me down from DD2) and I have one light sweatshirt (hand me down from DD2) just in case, but if it happens to be cold and I need to go outside, the baby will probably stay in the carseat or stroller with a blanket, or in the baby carrier in a sleeper. At night I still use a sleeper and swaddle blanket/sleep sack.

3-6 months: This is where the wonky weather will start for us. So Ill have some long sleeve onsies and some short sleeves. Sleepers at this point will depend on the baby. I've had one baby run hot at night (so only slept in lightweight stuff) and one who froze unless in fleece. I have some of each as hand me downs and will supplement when I know how this baby is. I usually stop using the swaddle/sleep sack during this age range, but I know some people use them much longer. We also have a few sweatshirts for this age, but nothing heavier. Socks and/or crib shoes usually make an appearance at this age on chilly days, but shoes are not necessary (count them as a "cute" item).

6-9 months: Still wonky weather...could be cold, could be hot, usually super windy by April. This year we had 3 inches of snow on Feb 22nd, so you just dont know. I'll have a similar stash as I did for 3-6mo, except if he's pulling to stand, I may put a pair of shoes on him. For early shoes, soft soles are best. This kid wont be in daycare, but for the other 2 kids, as soon as they pulled to stand, hard soled shoes were required (so check with your daycares if they are going to daycare). 

sun/heat protection 
    So Arizona gets hot. And the sun is brutal. In general, I try to keep the kids in shade until they are able to use sunscreen. If we go somewhere that isnt shaded, the baby will spend time in the carseat or stroller and a light swaddle blanket covering the device (not on the baby). We also utilize hats a lot. On really hot days, I'll just have to keep the kiddo inside.

pajamas 
    I also like one pieces until they are at least a year old...or start walking. DD1 was an early walker but would fall a lot more in footed pajamas, even with the non-slip feet, so we moved her into 2 piece pajamas at that time.

DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Michigan mama here so about half the year can be pretty cold. 

For buying sizes in advance be cautious because you can never predict how fast your baby will grow, especially for those of us with drastic climate changes. DD was 8lb3oz at birth, took a year to double her birth weight (goal is by 6 months) and was still comfortably in 6mo clothing at 1 year. DS was 8lb0oz and was in 6mo clothes by 3-4mo. 

Winter:
    My babies wear long cozy pants with long sleeve onesies. For bed time they wear fleece footed sleepers usually with some king of sleep sack. Neither of them could keep on socks so i am obsessed with Zutano baby booties Zutano Cozie Bootie - Heather Gray - 6M https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JZQV79C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_GUy9Cb4KXDPMF. They come in lighter weights for more moderate temps too.

I actually have never purchased a snowsuit ot heavy coat for an infant. We do not take our babies outside for long periods of time in the winter and they are not safe for car seats. We have a car seat cover similar to this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076VMH7V7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_sXy9CbF0YB8FB. It does not interfere with the function of the seat and it keeps them toasty warm. We usually have a hat or two. With the car seat cover we have not needed mittens because our babies hands have always been plenty warm getting out of there. For when I am babywearing instead of using the car seat I usually throw on hats and mittens and wrap them in a blanket before wearing, that seems to do the job just fine.

Summer
    For babies who are learning to walk I love Robeez! They stay on and are better for their feet and stride compared to regular shoes. 
    For clothes give me allllll the rompers! We also end up with some separates as well. I don't know specific fabrics but I like materials that are easy to move in when they are babies/young toddlers so we avoid jeans. When DS was a baby our a/c was broken so he lived in a cloth diaper, onesie or romper. We are getting it fixed this month so we will probably do lighter weight footed sleepers in the warmer months.

For baby swimsuits I usually go for more coverage like rash guards, although ocassionally I find a cute one I cant pass up. Of course sunhats are important but I have little preference there other than cute and cheap. Our go to sunscreen is babyganics. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• cato99cato99 member
    I second a lot of what @Allycat11 and others said! DD's main shoes for a long time were Robeez--they are light and come in a zillion cute designs. Her feet have been slow to grow so even though she just turned 2 she still sometimes wears her 12-month-size Robeez.

Winter

We just use fleece footie pajamas when it's cold, and otherwise try to keep the nursery (which has its own heating system) at a nice warm level. We never used a sleep sack--just never got in the habit! @aecm makes an excellent point about non-footie sleepers being good for taller kids. DD definitely broke through the feet of a few pajamas that otherwise fit her well! 

I have a terrible socks confession: the only baby socks we used were Ralph Lauren baby socks with the polo player embroidered on them. It never would have occurred to me to buy that, but we got a set as part of a larger gift package and I was hooked. They are so thick and warm and amazing quality, and starting at the 6 month size they come with grippy bottoms. I always felt confident that her feet were warm in them. 

I really liked soft sweater coats with a hood for the winter months. It's not perfect because that's not waterproof, but it felt like DD was most comfortable layered in that instead of a serious coat (but our winters aren't very serious). 

For colds and sniffles yeah, pretty much what @aecm said--infant tylenol, nose frida (but not too much--my doctor said it can cause extra irritation), and patience. I also took long warm baths with her so I could rub her back and face, and the steam would help clear out her little nose. Also I took a lot of vitamin C for me! 

Summer

I'm extremely pale and sun-sensitive, and we liked to hike as a family, so our pediatrician recommended we start using sunscreen earlier than most recommendations I've seen. She said that's preferable than treating sun exposure/burns after the fact. We use the Babyganics SPF 50 lotion. 

For swimsuits long-sleeved rashguards are definitely best, but when I saw this adorable swimsuit I couldn't help myself and got it too. I like sunhats that claim to have SPF function and generally prefer ones with velcro fasteners so they don't get weird and snappy if the baby tries to pull them off, but of course the velcro comes apart a lot easier, so I also had on hand the type with elastic. To swim we just use disposable swim diapers, no preference on brand. 
  • In the south now but I’ve lived all over in various climates since my kiddos were born. I definitely agree with @Allycat11 that I wouldn’t go crazy on buying advance seasonal sizes bc you just don’t know how fast your kiddos will grow. 

In general, I always dress them more or less how I dress myself in terms of length of sleeves, layering, etc. summer is pretty easy - you just shouldn’t use sun screen until 6 months so the shade will be your friend. A good sun hat and the more coverage you can find in a bathing suit the better. Light and breathable blankets are good (the Adan and Anais swaddles are my favorite) to throw over the car seat, stroller, etc. to shield them from the sun as well. They are also a great light nursing cover in a pinch. I use cotton pajamas and cotton swaddles in the warmer months. If it’s really warm a simple onesie underneath the swaddle is sufficient. If you don’t swaddle a simple cotton sleepsack is good. 

In the winter time, even in colder climates, I usually find a simple base layer and a good warm fleece outer layer paired with warm socks or booties and a hat to be good in terms of actual clothing. I think more of their warmth while outside will come from blankets, stroller muffs, etc. I bought a super warm cover for the car seat and paired that with a blanket to keep them warm while doing basic errands outside of the house. If you are going to be outdoors for longer periods or in the snow a bunch invest in one of those 1 piece puffer/snowsuit outfits (Patagonia makes a good one). But you can’t use these in the car so they would be better for strollers, hikes, etc. I never found a true winter coat useful until they were older and more mobile - 12+months and I lived in the mountains with both of my babies their first year during the winter. Most of our babies will probably be done with swaddling come true winter - I always used fleece footed pajamas and a fleece sleepsack for warmth. 
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • We live in the mid-atlantic region, so hot hot summers, and freezing winters, aren't we lucky.

For winter I wasn't super worried about them being warm because most places we are are heated. My boys hated swaddeling, and refused to wear socks, so onesie, and a footed one piece, maybe a sweater.  During the night we do let the house get a little colder, so onesie, and fleece one pieces. For outdoors we would use a car seat cover, even when we were going for a walk with the car seat in the stroller. We used this one, and it was great. I would take them on 15-20 minute walks, in 20 degree weather, and DS#2 would be wearing only a regular outfit under it, and when I took him out he would feel toasty warm.

Summer my boys live in onesies. I had a few lightweight pants if we were going out, but that was about it. They slept in the onesies.

I never bothered with socks until they needed shoes. For first pair of shoes I went to StrideRite. I think the fact that they get fitted is worth the price, and they are good quality shoes.

One thing for new mamas - the first 6-12 months there really doesn't need to be clothes and pajamas. I put my baby in something and they wore it until they got it dirty. In the beginning I would change them for sleep, but honestly, there is no real difference between day clothes and night clothes at that age, and you're going to be doing enough laundry as it is. Some days they would go through 5 outfits, and other times they would wear the same thing for 2 days. The only exception to that rule was if I had put them in something non-fleece during the day, and the forecast was calling for an extra cold night I would change to fleece.
  • Thats a good point @mrosek91, you dont NEED clothes and pajamas for little babies. That is more about preference. I like my kids to be in onsies during the day and sleepers at night, but many of my friends just did sleepers 24/7 for the first 3-6 months. I just found it harder to change frequent diapers with sleepers, which is why I preferred onsies.

Also when I was a FTM, I thought by using sleepers at night following a bath, that we were establishing a good bedtime routine that would last a long time. HAHAHAHAHA how silly was I?! Our bedtime routine has changed a ton over time and my kids really only get baths once or twice a week now. But it felt significant for the first 3 months when I was trying to adjust to having a little person around.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• I second the suggestion @mrosek91 made for Stride Rite! Their shoes are good quality and I love that they truly are trained in sizing kids feet. They also come in wide and sometimes extra wide which was wonderful for my son's fred flintstone feet that are slowly evening out.  When I am confident in my kids sizes I will look for Stride Rite and other brands I love, like Sperry, Keens and See Kai Run, on 6pm.com and Amazon. I have gotten Stride Rite Sneakers for as low as $11 or $12 that way! 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Summer: rompers
    Winter: cotton layers but my son runs warm.  The "one more layer than you" rule for babies does NOT apply to him.  Warm booties, mits, and hat to keep extremities warm whether baby wearing or in the stroller. 

Fleece was only for the dead of winter going outside,  never inside for him. 

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019