July 2019 Moms

Grandmother Shower

acgxacgx member
edited June 2019 in July 2019 Moms
So I had never heard of such a thing, but per Google grandmother showers are definitely a thing now. My mom's girlfriends are throwing her one. Which is super sweet and cute. I think it's more of a brunch/chance for them to hang out, but I'm pretty sure presents are involved too. 

My main question - what should I bring her?? 

Re: Grandmother Shower

• I guess I don’t understand the need for a grandmother shower?? What presents does she need in order to be a grandmother? Lol I’m confused 
  • What about a book she can read to her new grandchild? Or something else that would be something special they could do together. I have my eye on something called The Grandma Book by Todd Parr that looks kind of cute...thinking about getting it for my mom.
  • Loading the player...
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    This is such a cute idea. It sounds like a fun way to celebrate a rite of passage for her! I'm sure it's not about gifts but I like the book ideas. There are a ton of great grandmother books. Also mugs that have Grandma sayings could be cute. Or a piece of jewelry with the birth stone.
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    Also there are little wooden signs on Etsy that say things like "Grandma knows best" or "what happens at Grandma's stays at Grandma's" etc.
  • That’s super cute of her friends to do for her! I like the book idea, or maybe a cute picture frame that says grandma and me, or something along those lines 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Maybe a toy or activity mat if you will be over there often. It’s always nice to have stuff to entertain a baby/toddler at other houses. 
  • I've never heard of a grandmother shower, but I second all of these ideas. For the books, I always see those personalized book ads on social media for parents, I'm sure there could be options for grandparents too!
  • acgxacgx member
    Thanks y'all! I was thinking something sentimental like that too. I really don't think it's about the gifts - I think it's more just an excuse to have a party 🥰
  • Something sentimental is a cute idea. Or what about practical, like an umbrella stroller, or a second hand car seat or baby swing? My Mom has a few of those things for when she watches the grandbabies.  She lives nearby, but it's still nice when she watches my two girls to only have to switch the one carseat instead of two. Or if I forget their cups, she has plenty of sippy cups on hand, or bibs. She also still has her crib from when we were little (though I'm sure it's not considered "safe" anymore lol. Anyway, I think it's kind of a cute idea for a first time Grandma!!
  • I got my mom a recordable storybook, so our little one can read a book with grandma when ever they want. 
  • This is adorable! I had no idea it was a thing but I hope when I become a Grandma many many years down the line I have awesome friends who do this! Good excuse to get together! Books about Grandma or anything that she can use when watching baby at her place if she doesn't already have it are great! The more prepared Grandma is the less you have to send with for sleepovers! I made a sign for my parents that said " the only thing better than having you as parents is my children having you as grandparents" but my mom already had 6 other grandbabies so they were super well prepared and didn't need anything else

• @acgx what did you end up deciding on?

This thread inspired me to order two grandma books, one with each grandma name (neither his mom nor mine are called "grandma," so I was pretty happy to find an "Oma" book, for example). 
    Also went ahead and got a grandpa book for my dad and a dad book for my husband (for Father's Day, I guess). I'm pretty excited about giving these presents soon!
  • acgxacgx member
    @pizzaplz I found out her friends were getting her "practical" gifts, so I did go a more sentimental route and got a sweet book called Grandma Wishes. 
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    @acgx great choice! We got that book too!