October 2019 Moms
Options

Birth Stories from the STMs+

galentinegalentine member
edited May 2019 in October 2019 Moms
Since some people are already sharing bits and pieces of their prior kiddos' birth stories in the Randoms thread, I thought it might be nice to put them in a dedicated thread.

Moms who have been through childbirth before, share your birth stories here! The good, the bad, the ugly, and everything in between. 

***I think it's safe to assume a TW for this thread, and maybe don't read it if scary stories may bother you. ***

Re: Birth Stories from the STMs+

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @melanier26 I never saw either of my kids first baths 🙈 DS1 was done while I was out cold from exhaustion,
    and they did DS2 MOTN after his hearing test. I asked them to do DS2’s in the morning when we were up, but hospital policy or some screwy thing. They don’t do them for the first 12 hours, though, which is the current recommendation
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • Options
    @cmbt2 I honestly wanted to punch the nurse even though she was just doing her job. It was like 3 am and other than a small nap after my epidural I had been up for 24 hours and eaten half a sandwich. I felt like I was going to die haha
  • Options
    @cmbt2 my hospital does bath and hearing test at exactly 12 hrs from birth so for DS it was 12am. I was out cold and didn't hear them come in. I was kind of panicked when I woke but the nurse came in (as if she sensed it) and explained. She also said he was done but they wanted to let me stay asleep so he was at the nurse's station and they would bring him in when he was ready to be fed. I was so tired that it didn't bother me at all.
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @prpl11butterfly my nurses took DS2, too! I woke up when they finally brought him back and was very confused for a second. 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    A word of warning that I didn’t add to my birth story... low platelets are a thing.

with DS1, I saw a rheumatologist who monitored me. At 38w, she noted my platelets were dropping. At 39w, they dropped even more. They were still high enough for the epidural, but not by much. It’s suspected to be the reason behind why I hemorrhaged when my OB pulled out my placenta (it didn’t want to come out on its own right away).

btw, once you birth baby, you still have to push out the placenta. It feel a like a giant ass slug coming out your vagina
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    cmbt2 said:
    A word of warning that I didn’t add to my birth story... low platelets are a thing.

with DS1, I saw a rheumatologist who monitored me. At 38w, she noted my platelets were dropping. At 39w, they dropped even more. They were still high enough for the epidural, but not by much. It’s suspected to be the reason behind why I hemorrhaged when my OB pulled out my placenta (it didn’t want to come out on its own right away).
    Are platelets automatically monitored? Or is there a reason you were being monitored?
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    cmbt2 said:

Are platelets automatically monitored? Or is there a reason you were being monitored?
    My OB who did my RPL panel was concerned because I had borderline ANA levels, so he sent me to a rheumatologist for monitoring (my MWs and MFM both agree it’s related to the MTHFR and don’t recommend seeing one). She ran platelets every time I saw her. 

Normally, platelets are only run when there’s an issue, as part of your initial OB workup, and when you are admitted to and discharged from the hospital
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    jcbh2018 said:
    I wanted to be like an Indian in the woods. 
    This has me giggling while lying in bed awake at 3am 😂

You need to be very clear about when the nurses should come into your room. They will screw up your sleep more than the baby will.
    This. I will not be afraid to be asked to be left alone for a stretch of time to sleep. I remember the next morning it seemed like a never-ending line of people coming in. I think I ended up being rude to the poor girl who was offering to take newborn photos bc I just wanted to be left alone for awhile. Oops 
  • Options

edited for this.
    let me just say this... no matter when you give birth and no matter how you feed your child, they’re going to have you write down the time of feedings, poops and pees... the MOMENT you start getting that schedule of when they eat. You need to be very clear about when the nurses should come into your room. They will screw up your sleep more than the baby will. Lmao! 

It's so true I remember with my first I was so anal about having my husband record every feeding exactly right. Like 23 minutes on the right boob, 7:23 for a poop, etc. by the 2nd I was just having him make stuff up so I could sleep and they would leave us alone longer lol 
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    jal88144 said:

edited for this.
    let me just say this... no matter when you give birth and no matter how you feed your child, they’re going to have you write down the time of feedings, poops and pees... the MOMENT you start getting that schedule of when they eat. You need to be very clear about when the nurses should come into your room. They will screw up your sleep more than the baby will. Lmao! 

It's so true I remember with my first I was so anal about having my husband record every feeding exactly right. Like 23 minutes on the right boob, 7:23 for a poop, etc. by the 2nd I was just having him make stuff up so I could sleep and they would leave us alone longer lol 
    Wait, this is a general thing? Or is this a breastfeeding thing? I never got asked anything other than “did he eat?” or “has he pooped?”

I tracked once we were home with DS1, but once I realized our pediatrician didn’t care as long as he was eating and going, I never did again🤷🏼‍♀️
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    @alinic916 My internal tears wouldn’t stop bleeding with DS one and they tested me postpartum and I had low platelets. I did have an epidural though so I guess they dropped during labor? I need to make sure to talk to the midwives more about it at my next appointment. Some additional bloodwork was run late last year to test me for some common blood conditions but to my knowledge everything looked okay
  • Options
    cmbt2 said:
    @jcbh2018 they made you shower on arrival? Strange! I never had to at either facility... I had the opposite issue. No shower to the day after delivery 😒
    I thought it was strange. But then again, I’ve never gone into labor before. If anything, I was like damn, I could’ve just slept a half hour longer and not shower before I came. 

I always tell expecting moms to be stern with the nurses. I definitely know for this time around. I felt like every time I fell asleep, someone was coming into the room. 

cmbt2 said:
    jal88144 said:
    Wait, this is a general thing? Or is this a breastfeeding thing? I never got asked anything other than “did he eat?” or “has he pooped?”

I tracked once we were home with DS1, but once I realized our pediatrician didn’t care as long as he was eating and going, I never did again🤷🏼‍♀️
    I’m not sure. I tracked everything with my son until he was 10 months old. I think it helped (especially in the beginning) cause you’re so damn sleep deprived. The hours just seem to slip by. 
    Plus, I thought it was really helpful when I started doing solid foods (3 day rule) and helped with babysitters or SO if they ever questioned “when does he eat next?” I’ll definitely do it again. 
  • Options
    cmbt2 said:
    jal88144 said:

edited for this.

Yes! With both of my babies. They gave us a sheet that we had to log all poop and pee diapers and every time I nursed, from what boob and for how long. A bit excessive if you ask me! 
  • Options
    The nurses really pushed us to fill out the sheet with my first. With my second they didn't bother us with it. I think it's more for FTMs who don't know what's normal yet (though normal varies). And for them to be able to check for possible feeding issues that might be missed otherwise.
  • Options
    Same here!! The nurses wanted me to set an alarm for every two hours to nurse whole in hospital and expected me to fill out the sheet to log everything. I continued via an app at home until we got our rhythm down but couldn’t foresee myself keeping it up in the long term. 
  • Options
    I tracked everything for months. DD1 was dropping percentiles for weight so it was helpful to make sure she was feeding enough. Also, for sleep, it was nice to see the patterns. The app I used, I could look at a week at a time and you could start to see the patterns of how long baby was staying awake, etc. It made it easier to know when it was about time to drop a nap. I was kind of neurotic about it. I think it's a control thing since I couldn't actually control how well she ate or slept. I'll definitely track again though. 

They didn't make us track anything in the hospital. Didn't realize that was a thing.
  • Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    The nurses really pushed us to fill out the sheet with my first. With my second they didn't bother us with it. I think it's more for FTMs who don't know what's normal yet (though normal varies). And for them to be able to check for possible feeding issues that might be missed otherwise.
    This is just a strange thing to me, mainly because DS2’s feeding issues wouldn’t have been caught by tracking- the pediatrian had to physically watch him take a bottle 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Options
    @cmbt2 I think the time lengths of feedings and such is more for breastfeeding. For example say baby is nursing for 45 minutes every hour and still not producing enough wet diapers. Or something like that.