July 2019 Moms

Why aren't you sleeping?

jmh1696jmh1696 member
edited May 2019 in July 2019 Moms
It's literally 4 AM and I'm still awake, this has been reoccurring for the past week and half now! I walk so much during the day at work and even after. Idk how or why I can't sit still when I get into bed, so frustrating!! I'm 33 weeks now and it's also at the uncomfortable stage where I'm tossing from one side to the other the entire night. I was prescribed ranitidine for heartburn so that's helped a lot but I can't go a day without it, when I forget to take it I am quickly regretful): Also I've noticed the bottoms of my feet feel like they are burning when I lay down at night they feel like they are literally on fire! I googled it and found this is called "hot feet" and supposedly it's a thing in pregnancy?! Anyone else experiencing any of this?? I feel like I'm getting hit at all angles lol 😂 . I even purchased these socks with gel packs that I can freeze and stick in the socks off Amazon I am so not having a good time over here. July come faster!! 

Re: Why aren't you sleeping?

• mamanessenmamanessen member
    edited May 2019
    I haven't been experiencing any "hot feet" but I have had several sleepless nights this week which has not been fun! I was also prescribed Ranitidine which was working wonders but now I am waking up in the middle of the night feeling like I am holding back a mouthful of heartburn induced vomit! :) Aside from that my whole body has really just been hurting in a way that it hasn't before. My back is killing me and there's a tremendous amount of pressure on my hips. It feels like there's no way to get comfortable regardless as to how many pillows I use. Oh! And charlie horses. Lots, and lots of charlie horses despite the tremendous amount of water and stretching I do throughout the day. 
  • key33key33 member
    I usually have to wake up to pee sometime in the middle of the night and most nights I can't fall back to sleep for hours because I am unable to get comfortable again. By the time I do fall asleep hours later I'm usually waking up within the hour to take my kids to school. It’s been miserable. 

Last night I woke up at 12:45 with severe stomach cramps. I was about to call the doctor they were so bad and had been going on for two hours. Then after two hours of excruciating pain I threw up and was able to fall back to sleep after. Woke up nauseous this morning, but the cramps are gone. 
  • Loading the player...
  • hakelehakele member
    I miss sleeping. I miss it so much. I'm so tired. 
    I was taking a nap yesterday and my husband came in the room to fold his laundry and make as much noise as possible. He's lucky to not be murdered at this point. 

I tried a new sleep position with my pillow last night that placed it under my hip bone with a second pillow between my legs so I was in a weird nested position. It apparently worked because I slept through the night save for the 4:30 potty break that was nearly a potty emergency because getting up is so F-ing hard. 

But usually, I've been having severe sharp pain in my hip when I sleep on my sides and wake up on my back most nights or awake all night tossing from side to side and never getting comfortable. 
    I also had a few rough falling asleep nights and realized it was because my ice cream I was having had caffeine in it. I finished off that flavor and now I think I can fall asleep again! We shall see how this weekend goes. I'm excited for a three-day weekend because we have a LOT to get done. But at least the weather looks like it is going to cooperate and we can actually have all the windows open (It was only about 40* last weekend, so we didn't paint because it was too cold to ventilate properly). Hopefully, the work will make me sleep okay. 
  • I have a mix of what you guys have said...
    I wake up once or twice now to pee, and 2 things make getting back to sleep an issue: hunger and hip pain.
    I now keep a big container of unsalted mixed nuts on my nightstand, so I can down a couple of mouthfuls and squash the hunger. That way I’m not waking myself up to go to the kitchen. That’s worked.
    The hip pain is a real bitch, and it’s from sleeping in the same damn left side position for that last several months! If I switch to my right, baby gets pissed off and wiggle-resists and I also feel short of breath and belly pulling. So...I go on my right for 5 min to give myself a quick left side break, but a few nights it’s meant that I never get back to sleep...and worse if within a couple of hours of wake up time. Insomnia. 🥺
    As far as feet, mine feel bruised which makes typical exercise impossible. But yesterday I tried thigh-high compression hose and they were miraculous at making my feet and legs feel almost like I wasn’t pregnant! 😅 I had been using knee-highs, but they had the effect of cutting off circulation right below the knee...love the thigh highs. 
    My real problem with insomnia is how completely angry-drunk I am the next day. I can’t get work done and generally curse life around me all day. It’s a major reason I will be starting maternity leave before birth. I can’t work on lack of sleep. Call me a light weight! 
  • @key33 omg- that’s rough! So sorry. Hope you find something for the nausea.

@hakele a sleeping pregnant woman may as well be a sleeping bear. What was he thinking? Id be slapping a Do Not Disturb sticky note on the bedroom door...maybe an extra one with an angry bear face on it...😡
  • Yesss to most of these things. The hip pain, pee breaks, and just not being comfortable. Plus our poor dog usually migrates from the foot to the head of the bed, so he usually wakes me up because with all my pillows we can't all fit up there. I also just got a new FitBit and this one tracks sleep. It's been interesting, I am basically in light sleep for 75% of the night, so that definitely contributes to how tired I am the next day.
  • Lately I've been sleeping OK, but I've been having anxious dreams every night. They take place somewhere different each time and everything is going wrong. Last night I dreamt I was back at my college radio station and I could barely put together a coherent show, and the studio was full of people talking while I was trying to speak into the mic. I told the listeners I was pregnant in an attempt to explain the minutes of dead air :(  
    I think I'm also snoring a lot because I've been waking up with a sore throat. DH said it was pretty loud when he came up to bed last night :neutral: 
  • key33key33 member
    @expatmom39 - I am hoping today is a fluke day and I’ll be back to normal tomorrow. I never had nausea this late with either of my other pregnancies, let alone to be woken up by it. 

@samanthak46 - One of our dogs wakes me up all the time. She starts off at the corner of the bed then ends up next to me and I wake up ridiculously hot. She’s 55lbs and is basically a huge heater who has boundary issues. 😂
  • keebler6elfkeebler6elf member
    edited May 2019
    @hakele Your sleep pains sounds just like mine... I do the same thing with a pillow under my hip and another between my knees - it does help. I hate it when I get all resettled (rotating sides is kind of a production with all those pillows!), and THEN realize I need to pee. 
  • hakelehakele member
    @keebler6elf OMG. THE WORST! My husband mocks me for my little nest that I get together every night and how specific I need things to be. I almost cried once because he wasn't helping me get my weighted blanket on top of me correctly. I really hope this is going to be a help that I've figured out a new pillow situation. 

@expatmom39 Seriously... he's lucky to be alive. 

I must not be sleeping enough to be having dreams. I normally had dreams on a regular basis pre-pregnancy and I can't remember the last time I had a dream. 
  • geoduck21geoduck21 member
    edited May 2019
    I'm usually up twice to pee, several times for water, sometimes for a snack. I've switched to the pregnancy pillow and that's really helping overall. The pain from this pulled muscle situation doesn't help, though.
    Natural Calm (the magnesium powder you add to water) helps with restlessness falling asleep, and cramping. 
  • mizzmegmizzmeg member
    I sleep but it’s not quality sleep. 😩 usually the first few hours are spent itching feet and hands(yay Cholestasis), then trying to make hips feel comfortable enough until I have to itch a foot, then need to get comfy again. Heartburn is nuts and I always feel hungry. Oh! And having to pee every few hours because I’m always thirsty. 32 weeks and I’m done. I miss sleep! 
  • Peeing, hip pain, rlp, reflux, kiddo trying to recreate a scene from aliens

Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • I think I have generalized pregnancy insomnia, but I am about to start NOT sleeping because our AC up and died. We had replacing it on our to-do list this month or next, but assumed it would carry us through until we pulled the trigger. Guess not... And we're headed into the mid 90's this weekend. 
  • @nopegoat ...yeah. I never knew it could hurt so much when they try to escape- this guy isnt even 5 pounds but he can push HARD! 😰 That scene hits close to home now!
  • @nerdtoyourmother holy crap! Get some heavy duty fans!! 🥵
  • @nerdtoyourmother oh no!! Hope y’all find a solution soon!! 

I’m jealous that some of you have said you’re only peeing like once or twice a night. I’m up just about every hour to go until 5-6am and then I can sleep for longer stretches. Every time I switch positions I have to go. I’m not even drinking a ton of extra fluids like I should be. WTH is my problem?! 😣 

<3 Boden Gray 8-13-16
    <3 BB Girl Expected 7-10-19 

• onaedonaed member
    Am I the only one that stays up late hoping that it will cause me to be tired enough that I’ll sleep through all of the aching at night?? It doesn’t work, and I wake even more tired. I literally just dread “night time” these days because it’s so uncomfortable. I don’t remember it being this bad until week 37 before. I’ll be 34 weeks on Saturday 😑
  • I’ve been wide awake at 4am all this week. Hubs gets up at 3:30a for work and I never fall back asleep. I usually pee around midnight or 2am. My hips hurt so bad I flip sides every 30min. I hardly sleep for more than an hour at a time. And I have a cold this week so sleeping has been even more impossible because I can’t breath. 
  • Bear14+Bear14+ member
    @mamahmh2 have you tried drinking less water in the evening? I usually stop drinking around 8pm and go to sleep around 10:30pm. The only time I wake up to pee is if my husband accidentally wakes me up in the night. Worth a shot? 
  • I asked the dr about the hip from I get from lying down. She suggested wearing the support band in bed. I’ve been wearing it for walks, but I haven’t tried it in bed yet.  She said if it gets really bad she would send me to PT.
  • @nopegoat I was explaining to someone the other day that sometimes I feel like Sigourney Weaver in Alien with his movements and kicking, I thought I was being funny, but she said that comparing my baby to an alien was totally inappropriate. She then walked away and I laughed my ass off  :D
  • @samanthak46 Didn’t she teach you a lesson! 😆 How dare you have a sense of humor about pregnancy! Thank god she let you know you crossed a line! 🤣
  • hakelehakele member
    @samanthak46 How on earth is that inappropriate? And I agree. I told my doctor something similar yesterday because baby got STRONG this week. 
    We also confirmed that she did, in fact, flip over this last weekend. So she is officially head down. So that is why I'm now taking the bladder beating that I didn't have before! 
  • @Bear14+ I definitely think that’d help but I’ve been cutting myself off around dinnertime (5-6pm because if I eat later = reflux) and it’s still bad!! 
    I generally run on the dehydrated side anyway, so I have no idea where all this pee is coming from at night 😂 I’m wondering if it’s just because my bladder is sooo squished it can’t hold nearly anything. I go a lot during the day too... 
    thanks for the recommendations though 😊

<3 Boden Gray 8-13-16
    <3 BB Girl Expected 7-10-19 

• CbeanzCbeanz member
    I hope you're all enjoying your sleep now before baby comes!

JK 😉
  • I am not sleeping because between myself and 2 dd’s we have some nasty virus and have been coughing for 3 weeks straight. I’ve even managed to develop an umbilical hernia I noticed this afternoon 😢 and the bladder leakage pads I buy in bulk now
  • I thought Taco Bell would be a good idea for dinner - it wasn’t 😭
  • Because I’m about to bring another human into the world...why would I deserve a good night’s sleep?
    I don’t remember what it feels like to not randomly wake up at 3 or 4 am. 
  • msimimsimi member
    The dreams 😭 I’d classify them somewhere between scary and stressful. I lean towards the latter because unlike most of my bad dreams they go on forever and will even start back up again after I wake myself up
  • key33key33 member
    Third trimester sleep is just preparation for having a newborn. Enjoy the quiet wake ups while you can ladies. 😂
  • Welp. Pretty sure the AC is officially dead. The babies and I are at a couples’ house that we know who have a downstairs apt, but I don’t see us staying here until June 4 when the new AC comes. 

So I’m awake (going on 2 hours now) wondering where we might live for 10 days. 
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    It's only midnight but DD has already been up twice crying with nightmares. Poor thing. She won't even tell us what happened in her dream so I'm sure it was bad :-(
  • leylea89leylea89 member
    edited June 2019
    @Cbeanz aw poor baby! Sometimes I don’t remember nightmares, just the feeling they gave me so maybe that’s what it is for her. 

Hopefully she gets some rest tonight (you too lol).