Infertility

Noob question - Antral Follicle Count Day 3

Sorry for this potentially stupid question but I've scoured Dr. Google to no avail.

I had my baseline ultrasound today and the tech counted 42 follicles (cycle day 3 - 21 on each side - I'm 31 yrs old). I cannot for the life of me find what a normal amount is. I'm seeing that 10 or less is considered abnormal and 10-20 is normal, so what the heck is 42?? I saw that an abnormally high amount could indicate PCOS but as far as I can tell, I'm regular and I get + OPKs.

Sorry, I know we aren't doctors but my follow-up to discuss results isn't until end of July, so I thought I'd check here to ease my conscience.

Me: 33 | DH: 34
TTC #1 Oct 2015
BFP Mar 26, 2016 - DD born Nov 2016 <3
TTC #2 since Mar 2017
DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269

Re: Noob question - Antral Follicle Count Day 3

• @PrettyPalomino same! I think my count was 33+ or so. I've read that as well that it can indicate PCOS but all my numbers are within normal ranges (although my AMH is slightly high at 4.5) and my tracking indicates I ovulate regularly.

When they did my count the RN said they like to see 10 follicles on each ovary so the 10-20 follicles is probably a good norm.

Also, with a high AFC like you have you'll probably be more at risk for OHSS if you're using injections, but your doctor is probably a good resource about that. Did you doctor have any comments to the 42 number?
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • @inthewoods23 I am still going through a battery of tests. I went for CD2 blood work, that AFC ultrasound, next up is some sort of saline-through-the-tubes ultrasound in a week, and then CD 23 blood work. And then DH does a SA and blood work. Once the doc has all the results, we meet her again and she diagnoses/suggests treatment. 

The tech was tight-lipped, as they're supposed to be I guess! It's so frustrating when you know they know what they're seeing, but they're not allowed to speak to it.

TTC #1 Oct 2015
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
    FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269

• Loading the player...
  • ACAC25ACAC25 member
    I agree with @inthewoods23! I was also told with patients with PCOS a high follicle and retrieval count. I would also be aware of hyper stimulation. It can make before and after the retrieval quite uncomfortable so definitely take it easy if you have a lot of follicles. 
    In terms of the saline through the tubes (I was told it's a hystosonogram or something). It is quite uncomfortable, definitely take painkillers before you go in.
     Hopefully you get lots of answers soon! 
  • cashewchickencashewchicken member
    edited May 2019
    I had about that many (40+) AFC when I first visited an RE at age 36. Like you, I’ve always tested + on OPK and fairly regular periods. I was told I had polycystic ovaries but not PCOS, as I had no other characteristics (such as excessive hair growth, no- or irregular periods, etc). I remember I was told the average number of eggs at my age was 5-10 total. Many patients with PCOS have high testosterone and high lutenizing hormone (LH) to follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) ratio. Mine were normal for both, another reason why they didn’t think I had PCOS. My AMH level, an indicator for ovarian reserve, was really high at 11, which makes sense since my AFC was high. 

Since my husband and I had normal results based on initial tests (unexplained infertility), we started with IUI. I responded really well to both clomid and letrozole, almost too well. For both meds, I had to start with the lowest dose. Even that resulted in 2-3 mature follicles. Unfortunately IUI wasn’t successful for us so we moved on to IVF. Like what others said, when you have high AFC, you have a high risk of hyper stimulation of ovaries (OHSS). So you’ll likely do a stimulation protocol that minimizes the chance of OHSS. The one upside to having a high AFC is that you are more likely to have a success with IVF. The quality of egg is important, but in IVF, the number of eggs you retrieve is important too. 
    Me: 41  DH: 46
    Unexplained infertility/AMA, polycystic ovaries, insulin resistance
    FET#1(July 2017): eSET of first of 4 PGS-normal embryos, DS born 3/30/2018
    FET#2(Oct/Nov 2019): eSET  
  • @cashewchicken thanks so much for sharing, it does sound like the same situation. We're still far from diagnosis but I like to collect as much info as I can along the way. I also don't have any major PCOS symptoms apart from minor ones like oily skin, hair loss, etc. so it'll be interesting to see how the blood work comes out.
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN

• Lurking but want to echo the vote for painkillers before the saline ultrasound. It is mighty uncomfortable!!! I also have a tipped uterus so that makes it worse but still. Not fun. 
  • edited June 2019
    Full disclosure, my first saline sono was sorta traumatic.  I also went into it terrified and, "trying to relax."  But the second my new doctor was mindful to be very gentle, and I literally barely felt anything at all.  It wont necessarily be bad at all.  I think if you go into it nervous it makes it harder.  I mean seriously, it was almost pleasant the second time, I'm not even kidding.  Im sure you'll be fine. ;)

<div class=" Spoiler">ETA Realistically, if they find a blockage that might make it more uncomfortable, but that's more the exception they find anything than the rule.</div><p>
    </p>