3rd Trimester
Options

Passed up for a promotion and devastated

Today I got passed up for a promotion and I’m devastated. Some background, I’ve worked at the same agency for ten years, all in the same department. I started out lower level and moved to mid management about 4 years ago. I didn’t apply for my current position, it was offered to me. I was also offered a promotion to do a special grant two years ago. I work hard and always meet deadlines. I take on extra work and volunteer to help with things that are not necessarily required for my job. I’ve been told countless times that I’ve been doing a good job and that people know how hard I work.

Recently upper management created a Senior Director position in my department (I am currently Director). I thought maybe they would offer it to me or encourage me to apply since I’ve been there ten years and know the department inside and out. When they told me about the job my supervisor said “I’m letting you know that the job ad is going out soon because I don’t want you to be blind sided.” I thought this was odd and didn’t know what to say. At my next supervision I asked why I wasn’t encouraged to apply and she gestured to my stomach (I’m 7 months pregnant) and said “the timing.” I stated that I had always planned to come back from maternity leave and that I was invested in a future there and my boss said “good keep your plans.” I asked her if she didn’t think I was a good fit for the position or if there were any performance issues and she said no (I haven’t had a performance evaluation in five years).

Anyway I applied and interviewed for the position and was told today that I didn’t get it because they based it solely on the answers to the interview questions and that my answers lacked in leadership. I asked if my ten years of experience and the fact that I know the department inside and out meant nothing and they said it was a moot point because all the candidates that got it had experience. Meanwhile the person who got the job is my coworker who has been there four years less than me and is in a completely different department. I brought up how disappointed I was and how I felt that the reasons they gave me were not authentic. I also told them that I didn’t appreciate the timing comment and the assumption that I didn’t want a promotion because I was pregnant. They agreed that that shouldn’t have been said but continued to throw bs excuses at me for not getting the job and saying that it had nothing to do with my pregnancy.

To say I am insulted and heart broken is an understatement. I thought about filing a complaint but I don’t know if it would pay off and I don’t have the energy with the baby coming fairly soon.

I really just want to hand them my pile of work and tell them to go f*** themselves but I know I need to wait it out so I can go on leave. Any suggestions on how I can make it through the next two months? I am trying to be cordial but I’m so hurt and angry I don’t know how I’m going to keep my bitterness at bay.

Re: Passed up for a promotion and devastated

• Options
    harpseal135harpseal135 member
    edited May 2019
    Today I got passed up for a promotion and I’m devastated. Some background, I’ve worked at the same agency for ten years, all in the same department. I started out lower level and moved to mid management about 4 years ago. I didn’t apply for my current position, it was offered to me. I was also offered a promotion to do a special grant two years ago. I work hard and always meet deadlines. I take on extra work and volunteer to help with things that are not necessarily required for my job. I’ve been told countless times that I’ve been doing a good job and that people know how hard I work.

Recently upper management created a Senior Director position in my department (I am currently Director). I thought maybe they would offer it to me or encourage me to apply since I’ve been there ten years and know the department inside and out. When they told me about the job my supervisor said “I’m letting you know that the job ad is going out soon because I don’t want you to be blind sided.” I thought this was odd and didn’t know what to say. At my next supervision I asked why I wasn’t encouraged to apply and she gestured to my stomach (I’m 7 months pregnant) and said “the timing.” I stated that I had always planned to come back from maternity leave and that I was invested in a future there and my boss said “good keep your plans.” I asked her if she didn’t think I was a good fit for the position or if there were any performance issues and she said no (I haven’t had a performance evaluation in five years).

Anyway I applied and interviewed for the position and was told today that I didn’t get it because they based it solely on the answers to the interview questions and that my answers lacked in leadership. I asked if my ten years of experience and the fact that I know the department inside and out meant nothing and they said it was a moot point because all the candidates that got it had experience. Meanwhile the person who got the job is my coworker who has been there four years less than me and is in a completely different department. I brought up how disappointed I was and how I felt that the reasons they gave me were not authentic. I also told them that I didn’t appreciate the timing comment and the assumption that I didn’t want a promotion because I was pregnant. They agreed that that shouldn’t have been said but continued to throw bs excuses at me for not getting the job and saying that it had nothing to do with my pregnancy.

To say I am insulted and heart broken is an understatement. I thought about filing a complaint but I don’t know if it would pay off and I don’t have the energy with the baby coming fairly soon.

I really just want to hand them my pile of work and tell them to go f*** themselves but I know I need to wait it out so I can go on leave. Any suggestions on how I can make it through the next two months? I am trying to be cordial but I’m so hurt and angry I don’t know how I’m going to keep my bitterness at bay.
    Ok I will be blunt: shit happens all the time and you are not the first or the last that gets screwed over from jobs or promotions.  I know of someone who was with a company for 25 years, and got passed over a promotion to someone with 6 years in - the difference one worked his way up (25 years) the other she had an MBA. 

I've gotten passed up for teaching jobs at schools for political reasons myself. One person I knew and was close to (I subbed in her classroom very frequently) was on the interview board to me told me I out interviewed everyone of the candidates, and everyone was beyond upset that I was passed up.  The person who was ultimately hired: fresh out of college with no teaching experience, but his dad's law firm are lawyers for the diocese (catholic school system) and give big money to it. 

Different job, despite a strong interview, they hired in a current employee's daughter. I was told that we both interviewed very well and comparable, but she had better references. 

Should the comment about being pregnant been made, no and it sounds like they agree and know why you are upset by that.  Yet, they give the lack of leadership as the main quality you are lacking.  Not authentic? Maybe.  Bad cover up, maybe?  Could you try fighting it? It's up to you.  

It sucks, but you still have a job and you have options, but your decision of what you want to do.