September 2019 Moms

Questions for STM(+)’s - May Edition

13»

Re: Questions for STM(+)’s - May Edition

• I'm clearly super late to this conversation but it's something I struggle with also. I've always said that the birth of a child is a special moment to be shared only with the mother and father. However, as an only daughter, my mother has told me numerous times how much she would like to be in the room with me. She hasn't brought this up since I got pregnant but it was made well-known growing up that it was a dream of hers. I don't want to jip her of that experience. I also feel like having someone who has gone through this before would be beneficial. But at the same time I don't want to jip my husband from this experience either.

I'm thinking I'll let only her (and maybe my dad for a short period of time) in the room during contractions but then asking them to leave when I start pushing. I also feel bad bc they live an hr away from the hospital (and 1 hr from our house). And who knows how long I'll be in labor...dont want to keep them waiting but also don't want them to miss it. Our house is still a good 40 to 45 min from the hospital so it's not like they could even stay at our house to be closer...
  • @nightdreamr13 if they’re definitively wanting to be there, an hour is not a far drive at all and they will be alright. Ultimately, whenever you get to the hospital and know around how far you are, you can call and have them come for a bit to see you during labor and contractions when you’re mostly just walking around and hanging out. When things get more serious, you can send them out to the waiting room or to go home, and then they can come back a couple hours after the baby is born. They’ll be fine to entertain themselves if being there is a priority for them. However, if you decide that you don’t want them there at all during labor, communicate that and do it early. You 100% want that day to be about you, your needs, and who you want there. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • What's the deal with babies and amber necklaces? I'm seeing a trend that it typically appears that crunchy moms put the necklaces on their babies? Something about teething? Do they chew the necklace? I thought anything around baby's neck was a big no-no? STMs+ weight in!!
  • @nomangos23 they don’t chew on them, just wear them! I guess the Amber is supposed to soothe their aches and pains from teething 🤷🏻‍♀️ I never used one because...strangulation 
  • @nomangos23 this article sums up pretty nicely how I personally feel about amber necklaces.  Usually I'm "to each their own" about hippy/crunchy stuff like this, but in this case, it's actually dangerous, so...
  • I’m 100% with what @duewithpu2 said. 
  • @nomangos23 Some people swear by them, but they are a hard no for me. 
  • @nomangos23 Another hard no here.  Teething pain seems less bad than strangulation. :)  Also, teething pain doesn't seem to be all that hard on them (I say that, but DS hasn't gotten molars or canines yet, so I might just be naive).  
  • @nomangos23 Everyone else has said exactly what I think. Hard pass for me. Can’t wait to see your amber light though!

I didn’t think my DS’s teething was bad either, @mamaber2204...but our kids could totally be unicorns! We only have his upper 2yr molars to go! Woot!! Personally, I can’t wait for this to be over because I am so tired of all the damn drool!! It feels like he’s been drooling like a dog since he was 3mo. 🤤
  • @lillywonderland That's great to hear!  I've been thinking DS is getting his molars (and his dentist AND pediatrician said they could see them coming in back in early March) for months at this point (he's 21 mos old).  But no.  I think they just said that based on his age, lol.  
  • septoctkidsseptoctkids member
    edited June 2019
    @nomangos23 my son wasn’t bothered by his teeth coming in at all. He’s 19 months and has one set of molars so far. None seemed to phase him. You could be in the clear! There are some studies that say teething pain doesn’t exist but who the heck knows haha 
  • @lillywonderland @mamaber2204 I’m so jealous of your teething unicorns. DS has been teething for MONTHS getting his 2 yr molars and only one has actually come in. It’s gonna be a rough ride 😬
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• I admit to having a teething unicorn and an Amber necklace. However, I didn't plan to wear it at night and I never really used it because he just never had issues. I had all kinds of homeopathic chamomilla and pulsatilla ready to go too. The necklaces are good crunchy mom beacons for making friends at places like the kids museum though  ;)
  • A non-strangulation, but just as questionable teething option for you guys: my grandma used to soak carrots in rum and freeze them for us to gnaw on  ;)