January 2020 Moms

Anyone high risk?

hi! Just wondering if anyone else was high risk? I have to take blood thinners injections, and my age. Anyone else out there?
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Anyone high risk?

• peppyj9peppyj9 member
    I haven't yet been to the doctor. Appointment is next Wednesday but I already know I'll be considered high risk because of my age (going to be 36 next month) and also I'm overweight 😕 I went in for a pre-pregnancy appt back in Dec to let my doctor know we were officially trying and I was recommended to eat more Mediterranean style to help bring my weight down. Lost 30lbs, but I'm still plus sized and still considered obese 😳 I was actually told it would probably take me a while to even get pregnant because of my age and weight but here I am. 💁‍♀️
  • I'm high risk because of a rare genetic heart condition (CPVT) that causes syncope (passing out) and cardiac arrest. I'm just got diagnosised about two months ago and my cardiologist is planning on putting in an ICD sometime this summer (he's currently consulting with the Mayo clinic).
    I'm already on the safest betablocker for pregnancy, so that shouldn't change, but my OB believes all I will need is to see an MFM monthly and have an extra scan around 26 weeks to check the baby's heartbeat. We will do genetic testing as soon as the baby is born to see if he/she has the same condition.
  • Loading the player...
  • @peppyj9 - If you would like, Tuesday normally has a Plus-Size Mom Check-in, if you want to start that :)
  • Also high risk due to age, previously IUGR pregnancy and hypothyroid 
  • It’s good knowing I’m not alone! 😊
  • MollySmMollySm member
    I'm 40, and will be 41 when baby is born.  We could have a high risk weekly check in or a 35+ weekly check in if people want.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Good idea @MollySm

In my old BMB we had an “old lady dance party” weekly check-in for 35+ mommas. I’ll be 37 when this one arrives, so I fit that bill. 
  • EmilyE13 said:
    Good idea @MollySm

In my old BMB we had an “old lady dance party” weekly check-in for 35+ mommas. I’ll be 37 when this one arrives, so I fit that bill. 
    I am turning 38 next week! 
  • edited May 2019
    High risk here! On blood thinners too. On lovenox and baby aspirin. Also 35 here. I'll be almost 36 when baby is here!
  • I turn 37 less than 2 weeks before my due date so can join you in the old lady dance party! 
    I had gd in my last pregnancy too so chances are will have it this time round aswell.
    i had thyroid function tested just incase on monday, as my sister is pregnant & has hashimotos & theres a family history but thankfully came back within normal ranges!
  • I think I'm just barely in the old lady club. I am 34 now but will be 35 when the bub is born. Hoping that won't make things too different from my first pregnancy but looking forward to getting the good genetic tests covered this time!
  • I’m on baby aspirin too because of two previous mc’s. I’ll be 37 almost 38 in January as long as this one sticks! Anyone have previous experience with the baby aspirin? 
  • @Xstatic3333 that’s how I was with my first; turned 35 a few months before she was born. Embrace getting the extra attention! 
  • The board organization thread has a monthly AMA thread, if anyone wants to start that. It would be nice to keep this High Risk thread too, for those of us who aren't AMA but still high risk (looks like I might be the only one?).
  • I’m 31 and considered high risk due to delivering my daughter prematurely and losing our twin boys at 19 and 3 due to preterm labor.. lots of monitoring and bed rest this time.. praying for the best 
  • @marebear15 Totally agree that we should keep this thread, too. 

In addition to AMA, I’m probably considered high risk due to complications from my first delivery.

*TW*
    Basically, I hemorrhaged badly in the 24 hours following my c section (failed induction) with my DD and lost half my blood volume, so it was pretty scary. I know they won’t ever induce me again, so not sure what will happen for delivery this time around.  I’d love to try a VBAC but don’t know if it’s in the cards. 
  • jojo405jojo405 member
    Hi there! I’m 35 and also taking lovenox due to a previous DVT and PE. This is my first pregnancy. Officially 8 weeks today on my first ultrasound today. See a MFM in 4 weeks. 
  • tyrion_tyrion_ member
    I was born with a heart defect so I’m followed by high risk each pregnancy. 
  • I'm high risk because I am an old lady in the eyes of the Obstetric Community even though I am 39 years young. I also had complications during my last pregnancy so I am high risk for delivery.   
  • I am high risk. I’m 41 and will be 42 just before the baby is born. I had a MMC last June which I was about 9 weeks, but they always said I was 2 weeks behind at all my appointments. I think it was just a sign that the baby wouldn’t make it because it wasn’t growing like it should have and had a low heart rate.  I actually had a few procedures done a few years back and wasn’t supposed to get pregnant. I’m 6w 1d now and have my first appointment on Tuesday. My EDD is 1/15/20 according to my LMP. I guess we will see how this one goes. I already have 3 other children from a previous relationship that are 17,13 and 12 so it’s like I’m starting all over. Good luck you all of you. 
  • I will also be high risk, not sure yet if my OB will have me fully transferred to MFM or just see them in addition. I hope the latter. I have a congenital heart defect (bicuspid aortic valve) that was only diagnosed post partum. I also officially am diagnosed as having pre-eclampsia with my first pregnancy forcing to deliver at 35+6, so add on a premature birth (baby weighed 7lb 4oz, no NICU time). I had high BP, no protein or secondary symptoms. I've been on a low-dose pregnancy-safe BP pill ever since. 
    Me: 31
    DH: 32

Married: Sep 2012
    TTC #1: Jan 2015
    Baby A (via IUI due to MFI): Sep 2016 born at 35+6

Surprise but very welcome + on 5/16/2019, EDD 1/25/2020
  • EmilyE13 said:
    @marebear15 Totally agree that we should keep this thread, too. 

In addition to AMA, I’m probably considered high risk due to complications from my first delivery.

*TW*
    Basically, I hemorrhaged badly in the 24 hours following my c section (failed induction) with my DD and lost half my blood volume, so it was pretty scary. I know they won’t ever induce me again, so not sure what will happen for delivery this time around.  I’d love to try a VBAC but don’t know if it’s in the cards. 
    How are you going to prepare for delivering again? Im
    getting anxiety just thinking about the delivery process. 
  • @justsuzie I haven’t had my OB appt yet but will definitely ask. I’m seeing the same OB who delivered DD, though actually it was a different OB in the practice who saved my life when it happened since she was the one on call. I’ll probably see both of them over the course of this pregnancy, which will be reassuring since they know my history. 
  • TW----------traumatic delivery

I don't even know if this TW worthy...@EmilyE13 That's great that you will be working with the same doctors.  My practice has 7! doctors. I am nervous I will get some random doctor when I deliver.  I was induced at 2 weeks overdue because I was leaking fluid for weeks and didn't realize it and baby was in distress. I was in active labor for 42 hours hooked up to an IV the entire time.  Her heart rate was dipping low after so long in the birth canal.  She had gotten stuck in my pelvis and they vacuumed her out which caused trauma to her and a severe tear for for me.  She had also aspirated on meconium and was unresponsive for 2 minutes while the NICU worked on her. Thankfully they got her breathing and suctioned out and she didn't even have to spend time in the NICU.  I on the other hand developed severe PTSD (didn't even know this was a thing for birth trauma) and was in rough shape for 2-3 weeks after Parker was born.  I was so out of it that I don't even remember those weeks very well.  I also developed D-MER which made postpartum even more difficult.  I think I am going to have to see a meditation counselor and a chiro to get my body and mind ready to deliver again.  Sorry for the long rant.
  • I can’t even think about delivery right now since I’m still so early and not sure I will carry this one. My youngest was an emergency c section. He turned breech at 391/2 weeks(I am only 5’1 and weighed 135 when I had him and he was 22” and 8lbs 13oz). Anyways I went for my 40 week at 40w 3 days and they noticed he turned breech. They scheduled me for a c-section 3 days after that (I’m assuming since it was the weekend). I was laying in bed the morning of my c-section and my water broke at 2am and he was born at 3:35am. Thank god I lived so close to the hospital and made in time. He was on his way out foot first when they checked me in and checked me. The nurse had to hold him in while the took me to OR. I was put to sleep and he was out in 30 seconds. I lost half my blood volume as well and had to stay an extra day. I probably should’ve stayed another one, but I wanted to go home. I had a 5 y/o and a 13 month old. I don’t think I can have a VBAC even though I’d prefer that. I am just trying to get through all of this day by day and hope I don’t have another miscarriage.
  • edited May 2019
    I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis and I’ve read that it has been well documented that women with the disease often have difficulty carrying to term. I have my first appointment on Tuesday morning with my GP for blood work so hopefully we can make any adjustments needed to my Synthroid dose quickly enough (and continue to do so throughout the next months) to avoid any issues. I’m feeling downright chilled and exhausted today so I’m anxious so see what the results will be and to make any necessary changes.
  • @daydreaminghufflepuff my sister is currently pregnant & has hashimotos aswell. Shes due in september & theyve slowing been increasing her meds dosage every few weeks but so far all is going well. She had an emergency section previously & they are intending to take her a week before her due date for an elective section this time. She hasnt been given any indication from her doctors that she wont carry to full term.
  • @leprechaunlady Happy to hear this! Best wishes for a smooth birth come September. 🙂
  • @daydreaminghufflepuff I also have Hasimotos. My doc told me to increase my dose immediately once I got a + so I imagine they'll have you go up but York see once you do your levels. If you are concerned, OBs know more than GPs for this and you can always ask an endocrinologist. I think if you're levels are good there isn't any higher risk of early delivery.
  • edited May 2019
    @biolprof Thank you for that. After I went into hyper pretty badly last year we’d gotten my levels seemingly stabilized. Because of the shifts I’ve experienced I’m hesitant to just start taking more (I’m already at 175mcg) without knowing my numbers. I had a horrible time with an endocrinologist when I was seeing one- she did absolutely nothing. I’ve managed it completely with my GP and I know she’ll check it tomorrow. She’s told me in the past that when I get pregnant it will need checked more often and watched carefully. Hopefully my future OB will be able to work with me to keep it where it should be. 🙂
  • I am a high risk pregnancy- I'm 35 and have PCOS. My oldest was born at 32 weeks. It took me 4 years to conceive number 2, after a PCOS diagnosis, surgery, fertility meds, weight loss etc...then was placed on weekly progesterone injections weeks 16-36 to prevent preterm labor.  I will have to do the same thing again this time. 

So far everything looks good for me. I have minimal spotting but it's from a sensitive/irritable cerivx and I've already seen a healthy baby at my ultrasound last week (while spotting). 
    February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I’m pretty sure I’ll be considered high risk. I turn 37 in a few weeks. My 2 previous pregnancies were healthy and full term so we will see.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Just received my first confirmation blood test results via online database and I’m panicking. I’ll be five weeks tomorrow and my hcg is 3,955 but my TSH is 7.437 (it was much lower in acceptable range at my last testing- I was even hyper). I’m assuming the doctor will call tomorrow (and I’ll have to call her back because I’ve got an obligation in the morning). I’m already taking 175mcg of Synthroid daily. Does anyone with thyroid issues have any similar stories or reassuring or calming words? I know anxiety won’t help but I’ve got so many worries.
  • Hey ladies, I suppose I'll be considered high risk w my AMA and losses. I'm 42 now, will be 43 when our miracle arrives 🙏🙏🙏. FTM too! I know, maybe I'm nuts to start this late, but my mom had me at the same age, and I turned out okay....mostly....lol
  • @daydreaminghufflepuff my Endo said that sometimes numbers can be way off and doesn't mean the pregnancy is going poorly but they will want to up your meds likely. Mine they just have me take 2 pills for 2 days of the week (Sat and Sun). If you're concerned take two tomorrow and then do what the doc says. One extra pill won't actually hurt you in my opinion. But do what makes most sense for you. I'm not that kind of doctor!
  • @biolprof Thank you so much for the reassurance. I look forward to talking to my doctor today. 
  • I haven't been to the doctor yet, but I could be classified as high risk due to AMA (I'm 35), previous miscarriage,  and IUGR with my first. My first ultrasound/appointment will be at 7 weeks. I dont remember being seen that quickly with my first!
  • I think I’m technically high risk because I’m having twins. I’m 21 these are babies 2 & 3 for me. DS was emergency C-Section so I know we’ll have sections with these babies too. 8 weeks 2 days. 
  • Does age really coincide with high risk?  I'm 39.  My doctor said that was an antiquated idea.
  • Xstatic3333Xstatic3333 member
    edited June 2019
    I wasn’t sure @justsuzie but I asked at my first appointment and learned that no, it doesn’t. I’m not considered high risk just for age. We need to get the old lady dance party going it looks like!

Edit: It is a risk factor that can stack with others but doesn’t put you in the high risk category on its own.