Pregnant after IF

Third trimester check in for W/O May 6th

This is a weekly check in for the mamas who have made it to the 3rd trimester!                                                                                   

• How far along / EDD?
  • How is everyone feeling this week? 
  • Upcoming appointments? 
  • Questions?
  • GTKY: what is your job/career? What are your plans for work life balance after baby is out?

If you're just joining us please post a: 

Mini synopsis in your first post with your EDD
How many babies you are pregnant with
If you know the gender(s)
How you have been feeling going into 3rd trimester.

Please let us know if you need to be added to the list

Mama's to be  

@mrsyng 5/29 BOY!

@bkatp 5/31 BOY!

northbeach3  6/5 GIRL!

@momifbysea 6/9 BOY!

@Griffin5413 6/21 GIRL!

@babydust2507 7/12 BOY!

@blackhottamales 7/18 Team Green

@ndz2018 7/25 BOY!

Re: Third trimester check in for W/O May 6th

• bkatpbkatp member
    • How far along / EDD? 36+3
    • How is everyone feeling this week? Sleep has become difficult and gastritis is at its worst now. Had baby shower yesterday, feeling very tired from yesterday.  But otherwise doing OK and happy to be beyond 36 weeks where NICU is not required if delivered.
    • Upcoming appointments? Tomorrow - NST, AFI & Ob check
    • Questions? How is your hospital bag packing going on? I just started on it, put essentials in it 
    • GTKY: what is your job/career? What are your plans for work life balance after baby is out? I am a mechanical engineer I negotiated wfh for next 1 year. Also Mom will be here for sometime to help me out. 
  • @bkatp - you are getting so close! I am just now starting to think about hospital bag. I did print out my work's maternity leave checklist last week to put in there. It has all of the numbers I need to call after baby gets here. Maybe this week I'll work on the easy things like my hospital robe I want to take and a nursing tank top/ nightgown or my coming home clothes. Last time we used those little portable charging packs and they were amazing b/c we didn't have to worry about finding an outlet close to the bed to charge phones. 
    • How far along / EDD? 33 +3 - csection 6 weeks from today
    • How is everyone feeling this week? I'm just so tired of still feeling sick. Trying to remind myself that I paid a lot of money for this, it's just temporary and I'll forget all of it once she's here but sometimes in the moment I'm a real debbie downer. lol Although apart from nausea and not sleeping well, my body at least seems to be doing pretty well with pregnancy. 
    • Upcoming appointments? not til the 13th
    • Questions? While I technically have 6 weeks, my son came 3 weeks early so I'm starting to get a little nervous about if she shows up early too. so not really a question, just more of a worry :)
    • GTKY: what is your job/career? What are your plans for work life balance after baby is out? I work in finance. While I'm usually really busy at work, I work early hours (6:30-3) so I'm usually home early and I don't take work home with me. I think since having my son 2 1/2 years ago, it has helped me even more to make sure I leave work at work. DH work's from home 3-4 days a week so his schedule is really flexible. It's so nice b/c he does most drop offs and is able to leave easier than I can for dr. appts etc. 
    Me: 33 (no known issues)
    DH: 33 (lower motility; 0 morphology)
    TTC since Oct 2013
    IVF round 1 January 2016 (w/ ICSI)
    ER: February 17, 2016; 15 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 8 sent for PGS - 5 Normal
    FET date: April 12, 2016 - DS born Dec 7, 2016
    IVF round 2: FET : Oct 4 - 1st Beta 188!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • bkatpbkatp member
    @Griffin5413 Nausea all the 9 months is hard. I completely understand about u getting restlessness. If she comes out early you will be delivering with us around end of May. Good to know about your husbands work flexibility. That should definitely help a lot esp with doctors appointments. 

I had my weekly appointment today. All looks ok and I might go full term until 40 weeks. We got picture of him, he still has hands on his face but clearest picture I have got till date. He removed hand when ultrasound technician knocked on his hand but swiftly put it back, she couldn’t take a picture of face without the hand. 

Got my GBS test done and dilation check today. My cervix is still closed. Pic in the spoiler

• @bkatp wow--i feel like yesterday we were in 2nd tri together.  So exciting you got to the 36 week milestone.  I haven't started my hospital bag yet...but I have thought about it more than i should admit.  I really should just start it so i don't think about it as much.

@Griffin5413 Thanks for your response from last week.  After posting on TB, i did reply in the group text basically what you said, explaining that even if it happened this month she'd only be 5 months pregnant and the flowy bottom should accommodate any growth in the belly.  She did not respond.  On a new note--i'm so sorry this pregnancy has been so rough--each week i hope you feel better and at this point i just hope the next 6 weeks go quickly for you.  

• How far along / EDD? July 18th // 29+5
    • How is everyone feeling this week? Better today--Sunday night was the worst night yet with back pain, (did too much over the weekend) but it's better now and i slept fairly well, comparatively, last night.  
    • Upcoming appointments? Nurse appointment Thursday.  Happy because MH is coming with, he'll get to hear the heart beat and see how they measure me.  (he's been to the MFM AS and MFM fetal echo but not a regular appointment since week 12 I think)
    • Questions? 
    • GTKY: I'm a CPA--I am a contractor right now with one client.  i don't see this as a longterm job.  I want to continue to help them get to a better place--but i hope to be somewhere else in 2020.  
  • ooh anything fun or exciting from your baby shower @bkatp? now to start putting all the stuff away!! :)  if you used amazon, take note they only give you two times to use the completion discount, so put in a big order/use wisely.  I didn't realize this and exhausted both quickly... oops!

@Griffin5413 ugh, can't believe you're still dealing with nausea. i would not have been able to handle 1st trimester nausea the whole pregnancy... i think you've gotta let out your whining/complaining.  my swelling isn't THAT bad (like, i don't have jessica simpson levels of swelling) but it's definitely uncomfortable and i can be a bit cranky with my DH because of it.  i need his sympathy!! :)

• How far along / EDD?  35 + 6
    • How is everyone feeling this week? mostly good, but still terrible carpal tunnel pain which is worse in the morning and foot swelling.  However, i tried the home remedy wrapping feet in frozen cabbage leaves. GUYS, I THINK IT TOTALLY WORKED.  They say you need to leave it on for at least 30 - 60 minutes to pull out the water.  I went to bed with my feet wrapped with saran wrap and some packing tape, lol. i cut them off in the middle of the night and woke up with significantly less swollen feet. My DH just thought it was sleep/raised feet that led to less swelling, but nothing has helped, even sleep with elevated feet.  I'm a convert!  gonna try wrapping my wrists and hands tonight to see if it brings any relief.  i should also say, it was hilarious having my husband put cabbage leaves on my feet and wrap packing tape around my feet to keep them on. LOL
    • Upcoming appointments?   ob on Thursday for GBS test
    • Questions?  none at the moment, but i did start a list of things for the hospital bag... i'll copy what i made down below. I got the bag out, but haven't put much in it yet... i still am using a bunch of the stuff daily. I also made notes of where my husband could find the thing in the event that i'm incapacitated, lol. :)  
    • GTKY: what is your job/career? What are your plans for work life balance after baby is out? I'm a college professor so I'm pretty fortunate for giving birth at the start of the summer and then being able to take my 12 weeks in the fall semester. i do still have to teach an online class in the fall to make up for the last 4 weeks of the term, but I'll mostly be able to work from home and have few meetings giving me a solid 6 months.  i've generally been a workaholic, so it's gonna take some adjustment to get me to cut back and leave work in a timely fashion.  I've already been pretty good about trying to not bring work home, but i'll really need to be more diligent in that respect.

What to Bring to Hospital

• Birth Plan

• Insurance cards 

• Birthing / breastfeeding folder

Mom’s clothing for hospital:

• short robe -- back of bathroom door

• Blue hospital socks (traction) -- bottom drawer under vanity

• Black sleep bras (stretchy) -- top right cabinet drawer, vanity counter, or dirty laundry

• 1-2 sleep tops / tank tops -- my 3rd drawer from bottom

• Grey sleep shorts -- likely vanity or dirty laundry

• 3-4 Dark stretchy underwear -- top drawer under vanity

• Reusable travel bags (for dirty clothes; hospital extras)

Going home outfit:

• Black flip flops

• “Nude-colored” Nursing bra -- top right cabinet drawer

• Black stretchy maternity pants (with belly band)

• Stretchy maternity tops -- hanging in closet

• Long black stretchy maternity dress

Mom’s cleanliness:

• Towel from home

• Deodorant - vanity

• Carry-on Toiletries -- bottom shelf of my cabinet in ziplock bag

• Glasses -- by sink or night stand (case in middle drawer)

• Contacts (by sink)

• Travel contact solution / contact case (in toiletry bag)

• Shampoo / conditioner (in toiletry bag)

• Toothpaste / toothbrush (in toiletry bag)

• Mouthwash

• Face wash (in toiletry bag)

• Small black plastic brush + hair ties -- top right vanity drawer

• Pantyliners

• Nipple cream + nursing pads

Mom’s Comfort:

• Washcloths

• Chapstick

• Lotion

• Sleep pillow -- use distinguishable pillow case

• Phone + Phone charger

• Ipad + portable speaker

• Hard candies or cough drops

• Tennis balls / massagers

• Hot / cold packs

For Dad:

• Prescription medication

• Toiletries / deodorant

• Overnight clothes

• Change of clothes

• Pillow + ear plugs

• Charger / Ipad / headset

For Baby:

• Car seat / base

• Boppy infant lounger

• Lightweight receiving blankets

• Newborn diapers + wipes

• Going-home outfit

• IVF onesies

• Cap / headband

• Socks

• Mittens

me: 37 dh: 42; TTC since Jan 2016
    dx: PCOS, low progesterone; 2 MMC
    Sept FET 2018 Spreadsheet
    3 failed IUIs (clomid + ovidrel), unresponsive to femara
    Jan 2 2018 - 1st IVF cycle - 9 retrieved, 7 mature/fertilized, 1 5d transfer + 5 untested snowbabies
    Jan 19 2018 - Fresh Transfer #1 one 5dt; BFP 1/25/2018; EDD 10/7/2018; MMC at 8w3d; D&C 3/6/2018
    May 16 2018 - FET #1 one 5dt; BFP with 4 betas (6.5, 24.3, 165.5, 2250) - EDD 2/1/2019; MMC at 6w; D&C 6/20/18
    Sept 17 2018 - FET #2 one 5dt; BFP 38.9 7dpt, 167 9dpt - EDD 6/5/2019  
    (3 untested embryos remain)

• So many of you are so close! One thing I brought to the hospital was an extension cord and surge protector...they were a lifesaver as the outlets were no where near the bed and then both DH and I could plug all of our stuff in
  • bkatpbkatp member
    @northbeach3 thanks for sharing the list. The most interesting gift I got is memory book for the baby. I loved the idea. Yes I used amazon and also saw that discount is applicable only twice so I made a big order for things I need pre delivery and saving the second one for post delivery. Thanks for reminding, also I saw the discount is applicable if you add products eligible for discount through redeem now option. I am going to get lot of stuff this weekend that I need to sort.

@mtpbadger thanks for telling us about the multi plug cord. After seeing this I added it to my list 
  • @northbeach3 Thanks for the tip regarding amazon. I didn't know that either. I looked at the details and here they are more specifically: "The discount can be used on up to two orders of $2000.00 US Dollars combined value"

So now i have a plan with MH--we'll have one large order at the end of May with our "must haves" and then leave some smaller items incase others still want to purchase items for us or we think of other things we want and then do one more purchase shortly after birth?  i'm totally over thinking it but enjoying it.  Last night i put travel bags for the stroller and infant car seat since i know we are flying in October.  They are even eligible for the discount.  I'm trying to "think big".

The wife of one of the employee's at my clients had their second baby 20 days early.  They are definitely scrambling. They didn't have anything ready--the husband had to go home after the birth and get the infant car seat out of storage and installed.  I spoke with him today and he's like: be ready early! this was unneeded extra stress because we thought we had so much time.  But at the end of the day, everyone is healthy so it's a great story.  
  • @northbeach3 Double check with your hospital, but most of them provide everything you need for baby for the duration of your stay. This includes diapers, wipes, blankets, even an outfit to wear while there; all I ever needed for baby was going home outfit, and a blanket. Just make sure your base in installed properly, you will only need your seat when you are discharged. 

• @blackhottamales

Anne came 5 weeks early and didn't need NICU so we were discharged together 2 days after she was born. Luckily we had just enough notice to order the car seat from Amazon and have it shipped (prime two day). It arrived the day after she did! My mom and sister were awesome in helping getting everything we needed for her -- my mom made a target run for baby essentials and some clothes; my sister handed down a bunch of her swaddles/blankies/burp cloth. My aunt who lives locally also had her church circle bring by hot meals every day for two weeks once we got home! Thanks to my uncle and my other aunt being so thoughtful, we had a bassinet waiting for her at home (they ordered it for us as a gift and it arrived just in time). It was definitely a scramble though but we were just so overjoyed with her arrival that I wasn't really stressed at all over it. 

@northbeach3
    All I can add is DON'T LET DH PACK YOUR BAG!! My husband packed a bag for me when I was admitted and he literally picked all of the wrong things. No hairbrush or ties, no toiletries, just my kindle and ipad along with an SPF shirt and pre-preggo jeans.  His explanation for the SPF shirt was that it "looked comfortable". I had actually just ordered my postpartum going home clothes right before I was admitted so at least I had that at home waiting for me....
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• @bkatp- thankfully it's not every day but it would be if I didn't take my meds. With my son I didn't throw up one time so I've definitely made up for it this time. LOL. I will be so interested to see when she actually does come if she wants to come early or stay in there until eviction day. At least I'm less than 6 weeks out now. I've made it this long so I can do the rest!

@northbeach3  - that's a legit list my friend. you've thought way more about it than I have. lol. A few things I learned with my son is that they provide all of the diapers while you are in the hospital and I took pretty much everything that was there when I left. I even took a hospital blanket home with me. They will give you lots of pads and those mesh underwear which may end up being more comfortable depending on how much bleeding you have and if you end up with c-section or not. I had risk of hemoraging with my son so I just used their hospital towels in the shower b/c I didn't want to ruin my good towels from home. My husband says he's going to start keeping the bag in his car in case I go into labor when I'm at work that way he'll have it with him. lol! I'm so interested in this cabbage wrapping you mention! 

@blackhottamales - I think that was a great way to respond. Doesn't totally call her out on her callousness but also points out from a currently prego perspective that it could actually be really flattering on a growing baby bump. much nicer than "suck it Bi$%H" lol

I just ordered this coming home outfit off of Etsy. Except it says "little sister" instead of hello gorgeous. 
    TTC since Oct 2013

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @northbeach3 I will definitely try it! thanks for the tips! 
    @bkatp congrats on passing the 36 weeks, what a milestone! so happy for you! 
    • How far along / EDD? 30W5D
    • How is everyone feeling this week? i was about to give on the swelling until I saw @n@northbeach3's post. I guess I'll give a try! and I'm feeling nauseous too @g@Griffin5413, worse than the first trimester, can't believe it! I am dealing with some bad pain in my right hip. whe I googles it it's called ilioposaos  
    • Upcoming appointments? not until the 15
    • Questions? should I be concerned about the ilioposaos as a sign of preterm labor? waiting on my next appt to ask the question too 
    • GTKY: what is your job/career? What are your plans for work life balance after baby is out? I'm an accountant and really busy 1st week of the month when we close the books.My supervisor is pregnant too and we actually 12 days apart and she'll be induced on week 39 so she won't make it to quarter close. so i think my team is pretty concerned about missing 2 people for the next quarter close beside the fact that we will be gone for 12 weeks. I'm pretty good about not bringing work at home unless I decide to work from home but that won't happen when my baby is here! my mom will be with us for a long period so she'll stay home with baby when i go back to work then when she leaves my MIL will retire and take over so I'm not worry about that!
  • hi all -- i tried to do some more digging... apparently, cabbage leaves are THE thing for swelling / joint pain / breast engorgement.  they can help reduce breast engorgement, and when you're ready to wean / slow breast milk production, you can use cabbage leaves!!

breast relief: https://www.verywellfamily.com/cabbage-leaves-breastfeeding-and-breast-engorgement-431593
    scientific study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27820535
    how to: https://blog.firsttunnels.co.uk/natural-healing-anti-inflammatory-cabbage-compress/

I've seen mixed recommendations:

Which kind of cabbage? I saw one page say Savoy cabbage, others said green or red cabbage... it generally looks like any cabbage will do. caution on red cabbage due to staining.
    Which kind of compress?  Hot or cold?  most i saw said cold -- keep in fridge or freeze leaves for a bit; some also say hot (short microwave time) -- heat releases cabbage juices
    Bang leaves or not?  I only recently saw that people were recommending banging the leaves to "release" the cabbage juices.  I didn't do this and i still saw benefit, but maybe I'll mix it up next time.

Apparently there ARE anti-inflammatory nutrients in cabbage... so it's a thing! who knew!

@mbradfo2 thanks for the tip about not having DH pack the bag. I had a vague recollection that you'd mentioned that before, so I was trying to include where to find all the things I would need so there'd be less confusion.  he's usually pretty good about following directions if i give explicit direction. haha

@wildrainbow yes, thanks... they did tell us they'd give use those basics on the hospital tour... i'll probably pair down on some of the diapering stuff since it seems like we're moving to the hospital with all the crap. lol

I ordered this IVF onsie from etsy for the going home outfit. :)

Jan 2 2018 - 1st IVF cycle - 9 retrieved, 7 mature/fertilized, 1 5d transfer + 5 untested snowbabies
    Jan 19 2018 - Fresh Transfer #1 one 5dt; BFP 1/25/2018; EDD 10/7/2018; MMC at 8w3d; D&C 3/6/2018
    May 16 2018 - FET #1 one 5dt; BFP with 4 betas (6.5, 24.3, 165.5, 2250) - EDD 2/1/2019; MMC at 6w; D&C 6/20/18

• bkatpbkatp member
    @northbeach3 I have heard of cabbage leaves for breast milk. Good to know it works for swelling as well. 

Ur link to going home outfit is not working 

@Griffin5413 cute outfit. I am taking one of the dress I got for baby shower as going home outfit 
  • @northbeach3 thank you for the cabbage remedy! what a life saver ! I got better result than everything else I tried! and let me tell you, i have the Jessica Simpson kinda feet, so this remedy really work y'all! I'm doing it again tonight! 
    y'all Have a good weekend!  
  • bkatpbkatp member
    Question: how have you disposed your sharps. I was cleaning up my cupboards and found all the sharps from ivf treatmemt. Where do they let u discard these ?
  • @bkatp I need this too--i still have all of mine sitting on a shelf.  I was told to call the number on the container (do you have a specific sharps container?) I tried once but it was during the government shut down so it was closed and since then i've forgotten/was just lazy.

• @bkatp
    @blackhottamales

Look up sharp disposal centers in your area on google. The local department of health or other govt organizations usually have a used sharps disposal program where you can drop off your sharp containers for free. (Obv. this is meant to curb the spread of bloodborne pathogens among drug users but everyone can use it.)
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks

TTC #2
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

• bkatpbkatp member
    Thanks @mbradfo2 for the input I called our village and they said every third saturday they take it for free.
  • @babydust2507 oh yay, i'm glad you found some relief too!  it still amazes me!

re: sharps -- my clinic said i could just bring them the closed sharps container and they would take it and dispose of it.

here's the onesie i got from etsy.  i'd recommend ordering 3-6 month bc after washing, it shrunk a bunch! it's screen printed on a carter's organic cotton onesie. the etsy store is called LilMeStore and has a bunch of cute onesies with cute sayings -- funny and also IVF ones.

in other disappointing news, my 37w growth scan and stress test got pushed out another week b/c my doctor had to cover another doctor in the delivery room or something... won't get my scan until 37+6! seems like an eternity and i really wanna know how big LO is to see if we have to alter delivery plans.  

trying to be patient! but not working so well... haha.  happy mother's day to you all!

• bkatpbkatp member
    Happy Mother’s Day to all of you :smile:@Momifbysea we haven’t heard from you this week but we are hoping you made it safely to this point and good luck for your c section tomorrow. 
  • Hello and sorry for being out of touch, it’s been a parade of family coming in and I had my last day of work Friday. C section scheduler made an error so it’s Tuesday morning now instead of today. I am so grateful for an extra day for him to develop, so he will be born tomorrow sometime around 7;30am central time at 36+2. Still nervous about preterm but I have to have faith, after all he’s the little embryo who could.
  • @Momifbysea - He is going to be just perfect! my Son was born at 37 weeks exactly and he didn't have to spend any time in the NICU. praying all goes well for a safe delivery for you both!

TTC since Oct 2013

BabyFruit Ticker
  • bkatpbkatp member
    @Momifbysea 36 + 2 is almost term. He should do fine without NICU. Good luck for tomorrow
  • GL @Momifbysea, everything will be great! 
  • @Momifbysea
    GL!   Anne was 35+2ish and she did fine on her own, no nursery time needed at all. Every baby is different; late preterm babies can often be just as capable and strong as full term babies!  I was 36 weeks and 1 dayish myself and on the small side at 4 lbs 9 oz, but  I also did great, just needed a little nursery time to keep me warm until I could regulate my temperature better. My niece was also 36 weeks and while she did need a tiny bit of NICU time, you would have never guessed it. 

Anne was also the little embie that could -- I had a vanishing twin in the first trimester. She was likely the only normal embryo that we got from our IVF cycle and she's a champ!  I'm sure your little guy will be a champ too :smile:

Fall 2012 -- started TTC

TTC #2

• can't believe your eviction date is here already @Momifbysea! wishing you a speedy delivery, painless recovery, and a beautiful babe to hold in your arms!  can't wait to hear how it goes!

• Thanks everyone! Wish I could sleep but can’t due to heartburn nausea and Adrenaline! We have to get up at three and I threw up all my food today. Maybe stress? Oh well almost there!