1st Trimester

How to Feel “Pretty” During Pregnancy? 🥵

Okay, I know this sounds super shallow, but I am struggling to feel attractive throughout this first trimester or pregnancy. 

Between dry skin and breakouts, bloating, soreness, not having the energy to do my makeup or regular self-care, vomiting, and peeing myself when vomiting a little too aggressively, I’m finding it impossible to feel desirable or confident.

I feel GROSS AF. I’m not showing and I’m definitely not glowing. I feel like I was definitely promised a glow — like, come on!

How did you boost your self-esteem during the first trimester of pregnancy when your body is going through so many changes?

Re: How to Feel “Pretty” During Pregnancy? 🥵

• Okay, I know this sounds super shallow, but I am struggling to feel attractive throughout this first trimester or pregnancy. 

Between dry skin and breakouts, bloating, soreness, not having the energy to do my makeup or regular self-care, vomiting, and peeing myself when vomiting a little too aggressively, I’m finding it impossible to feel desirable or confident.

I feel GROSS AF. I’m not showing and I’m definitely not glowing. I feel like I was definitely promised a glow — like, come on!

How did you boost your self-esteem during the first trimester of pregnancy when your body is going through so many changes?
    Just accepting that I am pregnant, my body will change (may or may not be the same post pregnancy) and it's my body's job to grow a baby.  Try and eat as healthy as you can, try to get walks in or any type of exercise.  Do things for you - dont worry about house cleaning or laundry for a couple of days a week.  Sit, relax take an extra nap, ask your SO for a shoulder rub, take long relaxing showers, bing watch your favorite show.  

Sorry, but pregnancy glow is not a guarante .  I never got it.  Those that 'got it' that I know of wasnt until the END of second trimester.  

Take care of yourself, and do what you can for yourself. 
  • meggymemeggyme member
    Getting maternity clothes that fit and are comfortable go a long way toward making me feel better about myself. A little pampering goes a long way too: painting my toe nails, getting my hair done, or getting a massage.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • It doesn't sound shallow. Pregnancy is no walk in the park. It's taxing physically, mentally, and emotionally. All the women I've seen posting in first trimester vs second trimester unanimously felt better in second trimester. The best thing that you can do is to accept it and tell yourself that you are doing something super important. 

Each trimester for me has been a daily practice in mental health. I listen to a daily pregnancy affirmations audio track, make sure I eat well and hydrate, exercise (walking is a big deal too), stay away from the mirror, stay off the scale, and stay away from Google. A sense of humor about it all goes a long way too. And then I've thrown in a couple mani/pedis, a haircut, several baths with candles lit, stuff like that... since I've been pregnant. 

I'm sorry that you are throwing up, having breakouts, lack energy, and feeling this way. If that were happening to me, I'd feel that way too. Please keep reminding yourself that you are pregnant. That's what this is. You're pregnant. You're not gross and you're not undesirable, no matter how you feel. You're beautiful and you are growing a beautiful baby. That's hard, hard work. Hugs. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN