Baby Names
Options

Ophelia

We are expecting a girl and brainstorming names. DH’s current favorite is Ophelia and I like it as well. At first I thought the Shakespeare reference would be fine/manageable, but after reading some opinions online I don’t want to pick a name that would immediately give people a negative opinion of her. Thoughts? 
Triple LFAF IVF Cycle:

Re: Ophelia

• Options
    Maybe I'm going to sound uneducated, but I couldn't tell you a thing about Shakespeare's Ophelia. I'm going to guess I've heard at some point, but it left my brain. I think of the Lumineers song first, actually (a song I love, so positive association).

Also I think it's a beautiful name!
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • Options
    Not a fan
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love ophelia! Pretty, less common, and a legit name.
  • Options
    It's not my style personally, but I think it's pretty and it's a legit name.  I have no negative references even knowing Shakespeare's Ophelia. 
  • Options
    I definitely associate it with Hamlet. I think it’s a pretty name, but I think it is unlikely she’ll get through high school without reading Hamlet, so that is something to consider. (Not necessarily a reason to avoid the name, though).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Options
    I think if the Shakespeare reference is a problem for you then you should save yourself a lot of angst and just cross it off your list. In my experience, you’ll second guess yourself your entire pregnancy and then end up going with something different anyway. 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    I immediately think of Shakespeare's Ophelia, and Ophelia was not a particularly strong character who met a tragic end. But, if you like that style several of Shakespeare's heroines have great names: Miranda, Viola, Emilia stand out to me. 
  • Options
    Love Ophelia! It’s honestly refreshing compared to more recent name trends and more popular names going around now.
  • Options
    I like the name a lot. It’s a big name to give but at the same time I do love it in a sea of lee/Lynn/lay/ley names

• Options
    meggymemeggyme member
    I love the name Ophelia, but I do initially associate it with the Hamlet character who goes crazy and kills herself. I would imagine if I knew an Ophelia that association would go away pretty quickly.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    I don't think you need to be held up by the Shakespeare reference. I think you have struck gold with an uncommon, easily recognizable, vintage/timeless name, and you should use it if you love it!

You'd be hard pressed to google any name + 'crazy person' and not get results - all names will have good and bad associations to someone. 
  • Options
    lm45678lm45678 member
    I love Ophelia! Nn Phi (fee) is super cute too

Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Hamlet is my favorite SP book. 
    Ophelia my favorite character, so i have a very hard time seperating it.

However, i love the name! Just because she has a tragic end doesnt mean yoiu sgouldnt use it. If everyone did that with every name, we wouldnt have many names@ So, many names in history have sadness and death behind them!
  • Options
    Ophelia is a beautiful and whimsical name! It is pretty and refreshing amongst a wave of misspelled, “quirky”, mashed-up-with-lynne names. There are definitely a few names she could go by as she ages, too; Lia/Leah, Phe is cute, Oli, were she to prefer something gender-neutral. 

I personally think of the song by the Lumineers, too. 
  • Options
    I absolutely adore the name Ophelia. It is a beautiful name that sounds enchanting, romantic. The meaning is "helper" which is sweet. I suggested it with my first girl, but husband nixed it.

I have a degree in English literature and Hamlet is my favorite Shakespeare tragedy. Ophelia as a reference to Shakespeare could create a bit of a problem, but I think that she is a fascinating character.

Ophelia has a lot of cute nicknames as well, as mentioned above.  

If you are concerned about the depressing nature of the reference to Shakespeare, perhaps add a "happy" middle name to counteract it? Ophelia Hope is beautiful. Ophelia Love (hippy but cute), or just pair it with a middle name that has a bright meaning. 
  • Options
    Ophelia is a beautiful and whimsical name! It is pretty and refreshing amongst a wave of misspelled, “quirky”, mashed-up-with-lynne names. There are definitely a few names she could go by as she ages, too; Lia/Leah, Phe is cute, Oli, were she to prefer something gender-neutral. 

I personally think of the song by the Lumineers, too. 

I love the Lumineers, and the song Ophelia is such a cute song. You should listen to it, it might help you be fully sold on the name.