August 2019 Moms

GTKY: Proposal Story

Re: GTKY: Proposal Story

• Loading the player...
  • @purplg8r - I *knew* it was going to be at Disney! <3

You guys definitely make ours seems super lame (and it was). DH is still "embarrassed" by how little planning he did, though I love it and it's so "us." We are both the eldest children in our family and the uber-responsible ones: college, MBA, working, home-owners, etc. We knew about 5-6 months in (when I basically moved in with him and started renting out my house) we were going to get married, it was just a matter of when - since we were babies (25), we were in no rush. He knew I just wanted white gold or platinum, solitaire with either round or princess cut, nothing super stylized or fancy. Apparently, he had been doing A LOT of research and taking half-days here and there to go to different diamond places to source this precious stone ... because he had it in his mind I *needed* something massive (my mom has a 2.5k solitaire, but it's not high clarity AND she was in her early 40s when she got it in her 3rd marriage).

Anyway, he had been really moody - probably from the stress and/or lack of sleep? - and I thought we were headed for a Come to Jesus and a Break Up. We went to lunch on a Friday after his birthday (I was either working from home or took a half-day or something) at my favorite restaurant - that he really doesn't like. We had ordered and were waiting for the meals to arrive and he reached into his shorts' pocket and pulled something out and tumbled it across the table. I just looked at it and said "WTF (the actual words) is that?" and he was like "I was getting so stressed because it was supposed to be here Tuesday, but it came in today and I just can't hold onto it anymore - open it up." So I did and he was like "will you marry me?" And I teared up a little and said "yes" and put it on ... and then we ordered a celebratory drink (martini, beer) and ate lunch. Nothing fancy, nothing romantic, and a little swearing ... sounds about like us :) 
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• @peachy0709 We moves in together very quickly, too. As in....I stayed over a week after we started dating (two weeks after meeting) and never went home. We bought a house together (both names on mortgage) at about 10 months. 
  • @suzycupcake - That sounds pretty similar to what I would think the other possibility of "our" story would be (if he hadn't been such a big bundle of nerves and had done some planning, like your BFF/DH did). I would have been exactly the same way! What a sweet, darling story and a perfect forever-after! <3 
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• ElcaBElcaB member
    @chillycanadian I know so many people who have fought or been annoyed by each other right before the guy proposed. Tensions running high, I guess! 

My story: H made me an amazing dinner shortly after we'd bought and moved into our first house. He proposed in the kitchen and I was so happy I lost my appetite (a historic first for me!). I loved the intimacy of it all. 
  • DH & I had discussed very early on that we were looking for marriage eventually. We were about to move to TX together after a year and a half of dating but had had zero discussion about timing of marriage or anything related. 

We were doing a going-away hiking and camping trip on the Appalachian trail with a bunch of his work guys. I’m not very outdoorsy but was excited to do something new. All the girls invited dropped out. So me and 6 dudes. And some bears. 

I was sunburnt, sweaty, and generally gross and he made me hike BACK another half mile to some spot he decided he liked. But he said some nice things and proposed and I spent the next day and a half guarding the unsized ring with my life for fear of losing it. 

Oh and we had celebratory shots by the campfire before the other guys came over to congratulate us... they knew his plan and initially were terrified to come near us bc we were quiet and they were afraid I had said no. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers