August 2019 Moms
Options

Weekly Questions 4/14

13»

Re: Weekly Questions 4/14

• Options
    aecmaecm member
    @chillycanadian Dextromethorphan has some data in pregnancy and is generally considered to be a safe cough-suppressant option. Of course you would want to find a product that’s contains ONLY the dextromethorphan and no other meds, which can sometimes be tricky. I had a cough early in this pregnancy and took it a couple times at night to help me sleep. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @chillycanadian, I’ve heard you can take Benadryl? I don’t have access to it here so I was out of luck but you should be able to get it! Being sick while pregnant is the worst. I’ve been congested since April 11 and it’s the worst. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies!! DH has been sick for 4 weeks. Popping all sorts of lovley pills. At least he feels bad for getting me sick, and watching me suffer not having anything to take! Haha
  • Options
    @chillycanadian - I second the Dextromethrophan (Delsym) and Benadryl when preggo+congested. Not sure if you can find it in Canada, but the US sells Benadryl in 25mg sizes (I think the standard are 10? so double-check labels). You can take it up to 3x daily. If you do go with the 3x, take a 10mg Pepcid (OTC or RX, I do RX to save money - I can get 60 pills for $8 versus 25 pills for $25) in the morning and at night. It is 100% safe during pregnancy, especially the first two trimesters. My RE prescribed the regimen when I was going through my FET (frozen embryo transfer) in November because I have horrible fall (live in the South where Nov-Jan is our "fall") allergies and my histamine levels were up. I would recommend, though, that you start with 1 Benadryl + 1 Pepcid at night and then work in the 1 Benadryl + 1 Pepcid in the morning and finally add the 3rd one (I do 8a, 2p, 8p) if you need it. Normally, Benadryl does nothing for me, but the 25mg is effective. And make sure you take at least 0.5L water with each dose. It can be dehydrating (but bonus, fewer bathroom trips at night!).
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    Note: once you hit the 3rd trimester, Zyrtec has been tested to be safe to use (I find it infinitely more effective than Benadryl and with ZERO side effects of dehydration or tiredness).
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)