December 2019 Moms

1st Trimester Struggles

Is anyone else having 1st trimester struggles?

For example, I have already feel asleep at work once 😬 I also had a terrible neck kink, the kind that makes you cry. But I couldn't take an anti inflammatory, use icey hot (or the like) or take a muscle relaxer because those are not safe for baby. Instead I dropped $90 on a chiropractic copay for her to tell me to ice it 20 minutes every hour. I mean it's working but not sure that little tid bit couldn't be googled. 

Re: 1st Trimester Struggles

• @mrszoobear I have crippling exhaustion in the afternoons. Occasionally I’ll take a nap but either way I have ridiculous insomnia at night! Awake for hours despite needing toothpicks to hold my eyes open during the day. So crazy. 
  • @k_mama91 It's so hard after lunch for me! I want to tell my employer I'm not lazy but it's too soon to tell them I'm pregnant. I guess they will just think I'm losing it for a few more months. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Same here!! I’m SO tired. From the money I wake up until I lay down at night... As soon as I’m in bed- wide awake!! WHHHY?! Maybe it’s our bodies trying to prepare for what’s to come?! 
    Good luck to you all! 
  • Same! Exhausted I work two part time jobs that i am standing 95% of the time plus omgosh the heart burn! My first two I had severe vomiting so I am very happy to not be vomiting this go around, first two are sons so maybe a girl this time?!
  • Yes!  My husband and I haven't told anyone yet, so it's extra tough not being able to get support from friends, family, and coworkers, but I just dont feel comfortable sharing the news until after my first appointment.  I've been nauseous most of the time, grouchy, and tired.
  • Can we add swollen feet to this? I thought that wasn't supposed to happen yet! 😂😢
  • Same on the crippling after lunch exhaustion. I have two older kids and can’t nap, but I wish I could from about 1pm - 8pm 
  • Cystic acne... this is a struggle. Actually, ALL the acne. 1st trimester of each pregnancy (this is my 3rd pregnancy) I gt cystic acne that will. not. heal. and body acne. Uuuuuuugh. Also, My patience is zapped and my poor son is paying the price :'(
    Ziggy       <3 07/2018-08/2018 <3
    Micah      <3 10/2015
    #recurrentpregnancylossawareness
  • W6 D4 No exhaustion or morning sickness but man do my boobs ever hurt and feel so swollen! And I already have to size up on my damn underwear. I just bought brand new underwear. Lol
  • @stillziggysmom I get the same 😭😭
  • @piscesmamax3 Nooo, I'm so sorry you feel my pain! 1st semester skin is the WORST, right? Do you also get the struggle of foundation suddenly looking like a nasty paste that's smeared around? Like it won't blend into your skin? Ooooh, the woes of pregnancy. 
    Micah      <3 10/2015
  • j3nn1b33j3nn1b33 member
    edited April 2019
    @katenzoey Oh my gosh yes! This is my 5th, and I never had any early symptoms like nausea, sore boobs, early bump.. etc. All of a sudden I need more supportive bras in a bigger cup, my underwear is digging into me just enough to be annoying, and this morning I am so nauseous I cant eat my bread and coffee despite being hungry...( how does that happen?!). Plus to top it all off my boobs hurt so bad even the slightest accident brush against something makes me cringe. ...
  • j3nn1b33j3nn1b33 member
    edited April 2019
    @stillziggysmom I love your nail color!
  • Yes! The first trimester struggle is real! The nausea has literally taken me out. I feel groggy/‘hung over’ all the time. It’s hard to walk around (especially at work) and act like you’re ok when you’re scanning the room for the closest bathroom or trash can because you feel like you’re going to vomit at any second. How do people do this more than once? I feel like this trimester is like 50wks long! 😩
  • Sleepy, hungry, acne and uncomfortable pain in the abdomen this time around! I am just about pregnant and it has all started too soon!!
    @stillziggysmom let us know if the mask helps! I can do with it!! I just spent money buying concealer and corrector just because of acne marks and pigmentation has already arrived! 🙈

• @Pranks the pigmentation marks! I’m not lovin those! I’ve also been breaking out on my face, chest, and back. I feel hideous 😣
  • So. Tired. I thought it was from vacation and traveling back home alone with a toddler, but this exhaustion is real. I may nap at lunch today. 
  • My allergies are killing me. My dr says to wait until 10 weeks to take medicine (including benedryl) unless it’s an emergency and I think I’m to that point. 😕
  • @sunshineandlemons - I literally just asked my MFM if I could take zyrtec this morning. She wanted me to wait until the next trimester but said benadryl was totally safe if I need it. Maybe it depends on the doctor? I hope you feel better soon!
  • @j3nn1b33 Thanks!

@l@lioness_389 It actually worked! It took some of the inflammation down, and it brought the cystic spot to a head so that it could actually kind of seal up. So, I'm pleased. It's a step. BTW. Elf has cheap color correcter that works very well.
    Micah      <3 10/2015
  • @mrszoobear thank you! I took some, so fingers crossed I feel better!
  • My skin on my face is peeling off. I’ve never had such dry skin before. I’ve tried everything and every lotion I can find that’s safe for pregnancy. Last pregnancy with DS I had great skin, this time not so much. 
  • The exhaustion. Omg! The exhaustion. I could sleep all day long and still be tired. Also, how many times can one person eat in a day? I will be starving and feel like I can eat a whole buffet, then get food and three bites in, I’m full. Pregnancy is crazy.
  • Has anyone else sneezed so hard it gave you cramps? 
  • @mrszoobear  I think I know what you mean, it's like sore if you yell or sneeze down in the abdominal area? haha...it's weird
  • @spawnsvessel I slept all day yesterday, I wish I was joking. I really did, then I was so excited to go to bed at 9pm couldn't even keep my eyes open lol!
  • @mrszoobear I have a weird fluttery feeling if I sneeze too hard, but it usually doesn’t last for more than a few seconds.  How long does your cramping last?
    Me: 31 DH: 31
      <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
    CP 3/2019
  • @SpongeWorthy and @ktmaesim - It was a hard sneeze and it felt like a sharp pain/cramp that lasted for about 10-20 seconds. Weirdest thing I've experienced yet. Today is also the first day I have felt the wonderful joy of morning sickness 😔
  • @spawnsvessel my RE told me to start taking B6 for my exhaustion today. I went straight to CVS to pick some up!

@mrszoobear yes! I don’t remember that from my first but happy I’m not alone!
  • @ashorkey I will have to try that. Let me know how it works for you!
  • Anyone experiencing depression during this trimester? Being this chronically ill is isolating and frustrating. The world, my job, responsibilities etc have not slowed down but I have otherwise I will vomit everywhere. You have to walk around as if nothing is wrong when on the inside you just want to feel like yourself again. I’ve cancelled so many appointments because I was just too sick to get out of bed. Driving when you feel like you’re going to pass out is dangerous but I can’t call out sick from work for the next 2 months. And all anyone has to say is, ‘Aww, it’ll be over soon...when you’re about 14wks.’ I don’t even know how I’m going to get through the next hour let alone 7wks. I’m trying to be happy about being pregnant, but honestly the ‘you’re going to be sick and there’s nothing you can do about it’ thing is really messing with me mentally. 
  • @lioness13 have you called your dr? It sounds like you need diceglis or zofran. It’s ok to ask for help!
  • I have a dr’s appt next Friday. I wanna donsome more research before I ask. I haven’t gotten good feedback on the effects of Zofran in pregnancy. Also, I’m hesitant to take anything because my mother took nausea medicine when she was pregnant with my sister and it caused birth defects (to my sister and thousands of other babies so they took the drug off the market).
  • anniemarie887anniemarie887 member
    edited May 2019
    @lioness13 I highly recommend the book Expecting Better. Its written by a PHD economist provides the data behind all of the things we’re told in pregnancy. I get being scared to take something, she covers drugs and what class c etc means. Talk to your dr about adding B6. Diclegis is a class A drug meaning there is no evidence of birth defects. 

Edit: I’m sorry your sister has birth defects, certainly there were things done years ago that caused issues. Do the research and talk to a medical professional. 
  • @anniemarie887 I LOVE "Expecting Better" — it was given to me by a mom-friend whose sister is a midwife, and it answered so many questions in a reasonable, super informed way. A thousand times better than Googling and freaking yourself out!!

Also, for the ladies who are sleeping so much: amen. I slept in until 8 yesterday, took an hour-long nap at work in the afternoon, and still fell dead asleep at 8:30. And in every case these were completely non-optional!!

Question: is anyone having nausea all day, and the coming to life (appetite-wise) in the evening? I have no interest in food until the end of the day (even smelling cooked food grosses me out), and then around 5pm I am suddenly ready to eat the world... Anybody else?

• mhamikmhamik member
    @midgerose86 I am like that some days, other days I never can eat.

whats everyone doing for their nausea? I am struggling. All day, everyday. Having a hard time finding something to eat that doesn’t make me throw up. I took Diclegis with my first (I thought that was bad woof, this pregnancy is so much worse) but insurance didn’t cover it so had to get free samples from my doc. I was also told about B6 and Unisom together? Anyone had any luck? Any tricks I’m missing? This is horrible.
  • @mhamik the best advice I have (based on what's working better this time and what didn't work last time) is small, frequent, high protein meals or snacks. Figure out if anything triggers your nausea and avoid it! For me it's anything with much sugar. I've completely stopped any sugar-sweetened beverages and really restricted other sugar. Overall I feel better this time, but I feel crappy when I let my diet slip. I also have to be careful not to drink too much at any one time. Large quantities of liquid also seem to mess me up so I'm now just sipping water all day. 

I've had decent luck with Unisom (but make sure to get the doxylamine one) and I usually take half of one in the morning and mid-afternoon, then a whole one at bedtime. It's more than the label recommends for sleep, but it seems to work for me although it does make me a little drowsy. I also take extra folic acid. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but it seems to help a bit. 

Again, this is just what I do. I'd check with your doctor before taking any medication. 
  • @midgerose86 I feel you on the day kind nausea, but I have been able to eat. Today the food aversion kicked in in a real way and everything is so unappetizing. But I’ve been forcing myself to eat small meals because the light headed was has also kicked in and with PCOS I’m terrified of my blood sugar crashing. I was like that for the past two weeks though. I ate so many chicken nuggets. Hahah!

@mhamik Some people say they don’t work for them, but I swear by Preggie POP Drops and hard peppermint candies. They have done wonders for my constant nausea. They make me burp a lot, but it is better, in my opinion, than the impending heartburn that follows. And my doctor said I need to be eating 6 to 8 small meals through the day of lots of protein. Also, when you do the small meals you will start to be able to tell when you start to get hungry so eat about 30 minutes before that point. If you can head it off before the nausea kicks in, the nausea is a lot milder. 
  • @midgerose86 I’ve recommended Expecting Better like 5 times on here. I might be a broken record. Whoops. But it’s SO GOOD. 

As for nausea (and @mhamik) I added b6 and it seems to be helping. I also find salty things are good - pretzels and French fries are my jam. Lastly, goes against the sugar thing- but a friend recommended lemonade and I’m loving it. I’m also have some bouts of all day feels like a hangover nausea. My dr said to keep her posted and she’d have no issues with rx’ing something. So I would ask your dr, too.