October 2019 Moms

Product Spotlight: Sleep Solutions

Alright, everyone! Let's talk about your crib, mini crib, travel crib, pack 'n play, bassinet, Moses basket, co-sleeper, etc! Pros and cons? Loves and hates? Let's hear it!
TTC History
Me: 38 DH: 52
Started trying June 2018
BFP Jan 2019 DD born October 2019
TTC July 2021 BFP, ended in MMC August 2021
TTC October 2021
BFP January 2022
MMC March 2022
Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

Re: Product Spotlight: Sleep Solutions

• DD slept in our room for the first 6-7 months. I had planned to just use a pack n play because we were getting one anyway and I didn’t want to spend extra money for just a few months. But DH convinced me to buy a halo bassinest right before DD was born and it was a great decision. I loved having her at eye level right next to me, and being able to just reach over and touch her at night, and I loved being able to pick her up without getting out of bed. The downside is they are pricey and she grew out of it in 3-4 months. But they have good resale value and we’ll sell it or pass it along to a friend when we’re done with it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh another detail I just remembered. The transition to her crib in her room at 6-7 months was pretty smooth because we had been using her crib for naps and after I started back at work we would put her to bed in her crib and then move her into our room when we went to bed. So she was used to sleeping in the crib already. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh another detail I just remembered. The transition to her crib in her room at 6-7 months was pretty smooth because we had been using her crib for naps and after I started back at work we would put her to bed in her crib and then move her into our room when we went to bed. So she was used to sleeping in the crib already. 
    What a simple but great idea! I'll need to remember this!
    DD 10/2019
  • For DS, we used a in-bed portable crib thingy, and it was perfect to have him so close to us during the night. After he outgrew that (I think at 4 months), I used an Arm's Reach side co-sleeper (but not attached to our bed because there's a gap between the bed and the frame). He slept in that until he was 9 months and we decided to transition him to his crib (because he started standing). 

I plan on using the same type situation for this LO so DS can still have his own room without having his sibling wake him up at night.
    TTC #1: September 2013, BFP 01/01/14, DS 09/14
    TTC #2: October 2018, BFP 02/02/19, EDD 10/14/19

• cmbt2cmbt2 member
    I throw them in their own rooms within the first month, so a crib is a must. We used a pack n play in our room for the few weeks they were in there. My kids slept in the swing for naps for way longer than most..
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • Both of mine slept in a rock n play for a long time. Probably 4 months or so? Our first was right next to the bed and our second was in our walk in closet (so great, far enough that I could sleep). I’ll put this baby in a rock n play too. 

Neither of mine would sleep flat even though we tried the halo bassinet that we borrowed from a friend. So grateful we didn’t spend the money!

Both transitioned to the crib via Merlin Magic Sleep Suit by 4/5 months. 

Our second didn’t start sleeping well until we let her sleep on her stomach. To this day, she’s an exclusive tummy sleeper - 2.5 years later. 

Big fan of our travel crib. It folds into a backpack for easy travel and unzips so you can easily lay on the ground and nurse baby to sleep if necessary. It’s pricey but we got it as a shower gift. https://www.amazon.com/Lotus-Travel-Crib-Lightweight-Comfortable/dp/B00AKKDSNG/ref=mp_s_a_1_10_sspa?keywords=travel+crib&qid=1552702564&s=gateway&sr=8-10-spons&psc=1
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• DS slept in a pack n play in our room for probably 6 months. Hoping the same will work this go around but who knows 🤷🏼‍♀️ He now sleeps in our bed, which we’re hoping to break in the next few months
  • Anybody use a dock a tot before? Trying to figure out if it's worth the $$
  • nnaelilak said:
    Anybody use a dock a tot before? Trying to figure out if it's worth the $$
    We bought one for our second and it wasn’t magic
    for us like it is for other people. We ended up giving it to a friend to borrow. 

• With DD1 we kept her in our room for 4 months in the pack n play then transitioned to her room in the crib. Easy transition since they're similar. We'll do the same with this kid. The swaddleme sleepers were a must have! And a sound machine is another must. DD1 still likes to keep hers on and it has a nightlight on it so we'll get another one like that for this baby. 
  • @aprosch +1 to the sound machine!! DS still uses his almost five years later. It was one of the best purchases. We use this one:

MyBaby, SoundSpa Lullaby Sound Machine & Projector | Choose From 6 Soothing Sounds & Nursery Lullabies | Rotating Picture Projector & 3 Image Disks | Convenient Disk Storage & Auto-Off Timer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KG5R6I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_95rJCb8ES2BS1
    TTC #1: September 2013, BFP 01/01/14, DS 09/14
    TTC #2: October 2018, BFP 02/02/19, EDD 10/14/19

• For the first three months, we used the Swaddleme By Your Side sleeper that we positioned in the middle of our bed. I liked it because we were comforted by having him close-by, but also in knowing he was safe in his own space. I probably only recommend this option if you have a King size bed as it may feel cramped with a smaller bed.

At three months we moved DS to a floor bed in his own room. The floor bed was a crib-sized mattress placed on the floor without any crib. My friend is a Montessori teacher and she did this with her baby and I was intrigued by it so we decided to try it out. Pros: We were able to lie down next to him to read bedtime stories and comfort him back to sleep easily if he was having a hard night. No danger of him climbing out of a crib and hurting himself. And later, transitioning to a regular bed (he moved up to a full size bed at 2 yrs old) was really easy. Cons: The entire room has to be fully baby-proofed for when they become mobile. Baby can roll out of the bed, but really it doesn't even phase them and they learn where the edges are pretty quickly. Baby had some trouble sleeping in the pack n play (which we used for travel) as he didn't like having barriers up around him.

Overall we liked it and will do a floor bed again with #2. Only difference is that their bed will be in our room until baby is consistently sleeping through the night. Then we will move baby in to share a room with DS.

As far a sleep aids go, we really like (and still use) a white noise machine and a product called Tranquil Turtle, which projects ocean wave lights and plays soothing music (but turns off after 20 mins). We also use an air purifier which adds another layer of white noise. It is quite the trifecta of sounds.
    *TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

• We never did get a white noise machine, but if you happen to have Alexa, we found that you can ask her to play white noise. Very handy.
    Me: 41 / Fiance: 35 +  One DS, one dog & two kitties...
    First BFP: 1/17/16 = EDD 9/21/16 (MMC)
    Second BFP: 6/24/16 (CP)
    Third BFP: 2/7/17 = EDD 10/20/17 🌈 *** BORN 10/23 *** 🌈
    Fourth BFP : 2/5/19 = EDD 10/14/19
         BabyGaga
  • #1 slept in his swing for 5ish months. He wouldn’t sleep flat because of really bad reflux. We were eventually able to transfer to crib but he had to be in a Halo Swaddle sac until almost a year. I tried to stop swaddling when he started to roll but that was a no go for him. 

Im hoping to have a Rock n play with this one and hopefully an easier crib transition 
    Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• We used the doc-a-tot and it was a dream. My daughter still sleeps in the toddler one. 
  • We used a rock and play for a few months then transitioned into the dockatot. The dockatot was worth every penny. We ended up buying the larger one and used it until my DS was 2.5 years old. If I could go back in time I would not have spent $800 for a crib my child has not once slept in.  I’m hoping this baby will sleep in it. 
  • edited March 2019
    Any thoughts on this article? I always enjoy hearing people's take on things like this.

*TW*
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/infant-sleep-deaths-in-focus-in-fight-over-role-of-consumer-safety-agency-1542974400
    DD 10/2019
  • I used a Halo Bassinet (that I got second hand) and had it next to my bedside, for the first 3 months. My son just became such a wiggle worm, and would scoot all the way down to the corner. Even though he was sleeping, I knew that he was out growing it. So, we transitioned him to his crib. He did really well, surprisingly! He has been sleeping in his crib ever since then. I plan to do the same with our second child.
  • edited March 2019
    meagan-t said:
    Any thoughts on this article? I always enjoy hearing people's take on things like this.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/infant-sleep-deaths-in-focus-in-fight-over-role-of-consumer-safety-agency-1542974400
    **I think this probably needs a trigger warning - infant death **

I don’t subscribe so I didn’t read more than the intro. If you are able to copy/paste it I’d totally read. I think you have to weigh the risks and decide what you are comfortable with. So many of the deaths mentioned in articles like that involve some type of misuse.

In the throes of my post partum anxiety with my second baby, I spent countless hours in the middle of the night searching for stories of infant death via sleeping device. They are out there, but extremely rare, and almost every one I found had some other story to it. 

Im not saying I don’t worry about it, but when you consider the amount of babies born in the US, 30 deaths since in almost 15 years is so, so minuscule. We all just need to the best we can given our unique situations. 

ETA: I found it somewhere else and read it, and stand behind the above. 

• Bumping this to ask a tangentially related question....

Is the rock n play (the one recently recalled for 30+ infant deaths) the same thing as a Fisher price bouncer? Or are they two different products?
  • @galentine Two different products. The bouncer is shorter and can rest on top of a table or kitchen counter (or the floor obviously). The rock n play (that was just recalled) is taller. It’s abt as high as your knees or thighs. It’s meant to stay on the floor. 
  • @junebabyh, thank you. I thought so but wanted to be sure. 
  • Since I've already bumped this, I'm going to go ahead and ask another question 😂

For those of you who used some kind of arms reach cosleeper or other device in your bedroom, what did you do for MOTN diaper changes? My sister was telling me her kids slept in a pack n play in their room, and their pack n play had the diaper changing topper, which was perfect for MOTN diaper changes. So just curious what everyone else does if that wasn't an option. 
  • galentine said:
    Since I've already bumped this, I'm going to go ahead and ask another question 😂

For those of you who used some kind of arms reach cosleeper or other device in your bedroom, what did you do for MOTN diaper changes? My sister was telling me her kids slept in a pack n play in their room, and their pack n play had the diaper changing topper, which was perfect for MOTN diaper changes. So just curious what everyone else does if that wasn't an option. 

Ugh stuck in the grey! With our first we changed her on a changing pad we put on our dresser. With DD2 we upgraded to a king size bed and would mostly just change her on the foot of the bed.

• @galentine we had our changing table in our bedroom for MOTN changes in the early days. During daytime, instead of going to the bedroom (which was upstairs) for every change, we setup a changing station on the dining room table!
    *TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

• @galentine I had super picky sleepers. For the most part we co slept since it was really the only place they’d sleep 😴. I think for the most part I just changed them at the foot of the bed. Nothing fancy, whatever way I could do it as quickly as possible so that we could both go back to sleep quickly (it’s honestly a blur lol). I kept the PNP downstairs and did diaper changes there as well as naps in the little napper section. 
  • For the first week or two DD slept in the swing, and I slowly transitioned her into her bassinet for naps so that at night she would sleep there in our room. I had her in her room though by 2 or 3 months because she quickly grew too long for the bassinet. She was a great sleeper though so that made this very easy. We didn't use a crib actually, we used a pack and play with a crib mattress. It worked out alot better, we figured since we could use the pack and play to travel and at home, why bother with a crib, we don't have the extra space for both anyway. Then we moved her to a toddler bed at 2 and a half.

The swing is AMAZING! I just hope it works for the 2nd baby.
  • DD slept in our room for the first 6 months. The majority of that time was in a pack n play that had a bassinet attachment, but she did sleep in a rnp for a few weeks when we were having trouble getting her to sleep flat. Given the rnp drama, we will likely not use that for nighttime sleep with this baby (though we will keep it for supervised play/naps). At 6 months, we transitioned her to her crib. We got extremely lucky, and she transitioned with 0 issue. She's an angel when it comes to sleep, which probably means #2 won't sleep at all lol

@galentine after the first like 2 weeks, I only changed DD MOTN if she had pooped (this made MOTN so much better, because she would go back to sleep easier). But honestly, I just changed her on our bed lol. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker