Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

My almost 4 week old is waking up every 30 mins to an hour during the night....help! :-(

bmart22bmart22 member
edited April 2019 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
My son has never slept great at night...however he would occasionally give my husband and I a few 2 hour chunks per night. For the past few nights he has been waking up crying every 30 mins to an hour. I pump/nurse during the day but give formula at night (my full milk supply isn't in yet and my LO is a hungry boy!). When I feed at night my LO usually takes anywhere from 1 to 3 ounces. I feel terrible that he isn't sleeping well and always wakes up upset.....help! 

Answers

• Options
    I would suggest you check out the wonder week’s app. There is a leap/mental development that might be contributing. Depending on how he is waking up he might be dealing with some gas/reflux. For example if he seems to be in pain, farts or burps a lot, or seems better when upright and uncomfortable when laid flat.

On a separate note, 4 weeks is a long time to be waiting on your milk supply. If you are not nursing or pumping at night you are not signaling your body to produce milk at that time. If your goal is to eventually ditch formula, you will want to nurse or pump at night too. If not, then disregard.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    At 4 weeks old baby is still pretty young. He may still have his days/nights confused. Try checking all the boxes (feeding, diaper change, too cold/hot), if these don't help, he may just want to be held. And I agree with the previous post, if he is spitting up/gassy he may have reflux. I'd consult with your doctor if this is the case. Some babies like to be on an inclined position if this is the case. Good luck momma!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you! I pump right before bed, once at night and then right when I wake up. My first pump in the morning is around 6 oz. My pumps throughout the rest of the day are anywhere from 1oz to 4oz. Will my body make more milk than that? It's not enough for my LO and I haven't been able to start a stash of bm. 
  • Options
    **once in the middle of the night
  • Options
    You need to pump as frequently as your baby eats. If you want to increase your supply you will need to pump/nurse more frequently than that. The more often you remove milk from the breast, the more milk your body will think you need and then produce.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::