August 2019 Moms
Options

PSA: UPDATE: PRODUCT RECALLED: Fisher-Price says 10 infants have died using Rock 'n Play sleeper

Re: PSA: UPDATE: PRODUCT RECALLED: Fisher-Price says 10 infants have died using Rock 'n Play sleeper

• Options
    Has anyone had any problems with their babies using the Rock 'n Play after 3 months? The product listing says it is suitable for up to 7 months/25 lbs.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I was thinking about getting one for this baby so I don’t have to haul our UppaBaby bassinet up and down the stairs.  After reading about this I’m going to skip it.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Lotus_2008 both my kids slept in one by my bedside until 4-6 months. Even though both were rolling by 3 months they never tried to roll in the rock n play. 

DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    Thanks @Twinkiedoll for letting us know about these things. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Options
    mkrelmkrel member
    This is a tough one for me.  We started using it for sleep around 4 months when my daughter was super congested and propping up the bassinet or crib wasn't working per the recommendation of her pedi.  She never rolled back to front though until she started crawling and we probably used this from 4-6/7 months.  We also had a snuza monitor on her so I at least knew I'd get the alarm if she wasn't breathing.  Aside from rolling, there are also concerns with positional asphyxiation just like there are with sleeping in the car seat.  Aside from naps and just hanging out during the day, I had planned to try not to use it this time around if possible just because it was difficult to wean her off of it, but this is another reason I'm going to try to avoid it for night sleep.  If I have to, I will use it though and have a monitor on her.  
  • Options
    We only used RNP a few times, DD1 enjoyed it, but really preferred a swing (where she was strapped in and - essentially - was laid flat) or the Boppy Lounger if congested: during the day, I would put her in it on a clear, safe surface within arm's reach and at night, I would use it to slightly elevate the mattress in her PNP that she slept in, right next to my side of the bed. I had a lot of friends who used RNP and it was murder trying to wean them off of it.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    @moon1417 I couldn't agree more. I am a FTM so sometimes I bite my tongue (because I haven't actually experienced a 24/7 baby who won't sleep) when I hear what moms do but it worries me so much. My understanding is exactly what you said for the ABCs, which is why a RNP and other non-flat surfaces are not safe. I think what happens is they help baby sleep and people get hooked on them, and will even tell you nothing bad happened to THEIR baby. Well ok, but the risk is there, and even if the risk is small it is, as you say preventable. I had a mom trying to push her dock-a-tot on me over the weekend (they used it in their bed and then in a crib) and I kept just saying no without getting into why I they are simply not safe, especially when used in a bed. 

Not to derail the RNP convo but curious what others do when moms try to give them advice on sleep surfaces that you don't feel are safe? I'm more outspoken with other expecting moms because I feel like they really might not know about how dangerous it is for a baby to sleep at an incline, in a bed, etc. 
  • Options
    @Zamora_spin I really appreciate you saying that!  I sometimes find my self alone in a sea of survivors-bias!  If I am approached by unsafe sleep advice (usually the MIL or other family member) I am just mater of fact about it, I make abrupt eye contact and and use words like, you will absolutely not do that with my child. And try to discuss with them survivors bias, because that is typically what it comes down to.   

I have to take necessary risks every single day, I am unwilling to add to my list of risks -- I hate the one where people come back and say, well you could also get into a deadly car crash... ugh.  I mean stats are there, in one year 88 infants died of a car crash where in the same year 1,023 died from bed sharing/unsafe sleep practices. I'm trying my best for my kids not be to a stat. 

Me 32 <3 H 33
    TTC#1 January 2016  BFP 5/16/2016  DD Born 1/27/17

TFAS: BFP 11/26/2018 Estimated due date: 8/2/2019

• Options
    @zamora_spin I think as long as other moms are just issuing advice and not being pushy or will actually be responsible for your child while sleeping you simply nod, smile, and absorb. To be honest, I think sleeping is like most things with having a baby - each baby is different and you just don’t know what you will do until you are there. If you have an easy sleeper than that’s great and put them flat on their back in one of the 3 devices mentioned above. The sad truth is it’s just not like that for many moms and babies. They may have reflux. They may simply be stubborn. They may refuse to sleep without being on you. There any many scenarios that make the perfect sleep environment really hard to deal with, especially in the earliest months when letting them cry or self sooth is simply not an option. Sanity and the need for sleep (for both of you!) becomes an issue. Of course, safety is always critical, but sometimes the perfect scenario needs to be tweaked.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    mkrelmkrel member
    @zamora_spin I have mentioned to quite a few friends that the dock a tot is not safe for sleep when they have asked if I used one because so and so swore by it in their pack n play.  I always preface my comments by letting them know that I am a completely paranoid anxiety ridden person who follows the AAP safe sleep recommendations as best as I can, and also let them know I had to rely on a RNP from time to time despite my anxieties because of illnesses and it was that or falling asleep with her in my arms which I couldn't do.  I hope that my sharing of the background of my comments plus I'm obviously not perfect and veered from the recommendations from time to time helps them to know that I'm not judging and understand the struggle.  
    I have just read so many articles about avoidable suffocation deaths that I barely sleep for the first few months, and I think a lot of people who don't research don't even realize these things can be issues.  
    I would just casually say, I was reading an AAP article about safe sleep and it mentioned that "insert device that someone is talking about" isn't actually a recommended sleep surface because of "insert issue."  Then they can take it or leave it.  

• Options
    We have one of these at work, and it is a godsend for the smaller infants who won't sleep or u happy unless they are being held. Of course during their time in it, they under direct supervision of two teachers. My thought was to have the baby in it for the first few weeks home, since it is mobile and doesn't take up much space so I can have it right at my bedside. They work wonderfully, and can be a sanity saver, as long as they are used responsibly.
  • Options
    rpbarkerncrpbarkernc member
    edited April 2019
    @chillycanadian I highly recommend the halo sleepsacks. My son has been in then since we stopped swaddles. He’s warm but no blankets! He’s almost 2 and we are still doing the sleep sacks. Probably will until he’s outgrown them and then transition to a blanket. All of his grandparents know that this is what we do and they just follow our lead. They think they’re cute! 😁
  • Options
    Updating the title didn't bump up the post so I am just adding this comment so people can see it.