3rd Trimester

Preterm labor- when is it time to go back to L&D?

edited March 2019 in 3rd Trimester
Anyone who has experienced preterm labor before, how did you know when it was time to go in for real? Or at least to get contractions stopped?

I was in L&D this week, contractions every 2-3 minutes. No dilation, and it took 5 hours and two shots of terb to get contractions to stop before I was discharged and told to follow up with my OB who prescribed procardia. I did test positive for preterm labor. OB is planning retesting late next week.

I've been on procardia for three days, and contractions are still frequent and getting stronger. I know breakthrough is possible, so I don't want to run to the hospital every time.

However, I think I lost my mucus plug yesterday. I've been pooping soft stool frequently, or feeling pressure like I need to when I don't. I don't know that baby has dropped for sure, but he's low and I'm feeling pinches in my cervix, along with a little more discharge then usual.

Sorry for all the TMI! I just don't want to be *that* first time mom who turns into a frequent flyer at the hospital or assumes every twinge is labor, but I also don't want a kid at 30 weeks if possible!

Re: Preterm labor- when is it time to go back to L&D?

• Anyone who has experienced preterm labor before, how did you know when it was time to go in for real? Or at least to get contractions stopped?

I was in L&D this week, contractions every 2-3 minutes. No dilation, and it took 5 hours and two shots of terb to get contractions to stop before I was discharged and told to follow up with my OB who prescribed procardia. I did test positive for preterm labor. OB is planning retesting late next week.

I've been on procardia for three days, and contractions are still frequent and getting stronger. I know breakthrough is possible, so I don't want to run to the hospital every time.

However, I think I lost my mucus plug yesterday. I've been pooping soft stool frequently, or feeling pressure like I need to when I don't. I don't know that baby has dropped for sure, but he's low and I'm feeling pinches in my cervix, along with a little more discharge then usual.

Sorry for all the TMI! I just don't want to be *that* first time mom who turns into a frequent flyer at the hospital or assumes every twinge is labor, but I also don't want a kid at 30 weeks if possible!
    Mucus plug doesnt necessarily mean labor. 

For me, I didnt go into the hospital until contractions lasted a minute and they were 8 minutes apart for a half hour before I called the nurses line and told them. they told me to go in.  They saw I was in true labor and I didnt deliver her until 12 hours later.

I would just be in close contact with your doctors nurse line.  Chart the contractions, how long they last and how frequent.  Then that way, if you do call, or at your next appointment, they can see your patterns.  

• Thank you! I probably need to track better. They've honestly been very hard to chart, because it's been one on top of another. When I went last time, I thought they were ten minutes apart because I could only distinguish from the most pain to the most pain, but the monitor showed three minutes.
  • Loading the player...
  • You may feel silly but you won’t regret going in unnecessarily. However you’ll definitely regret waiting if you shouldn’t. When in doubt, call your doctors office. They should have an OB on call to talk to you anytime and they can let you know what they think. Good luck keeping baby cooking as long as you can.