October 2019 Moms

March working moms check-in

Since a lot of us are getting close to telling work, which will probably involve initial discussions about maternity leave, I thought this thread could be useful. Possible discussion topics:

How/when are you planning to tell work? (Or how did they react?)

What are your plans after baby - how much leave, going back full time or part time or staying home? 

How are you dealing with first trimester yuckiness at work?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: March working moms check-in

• cmbt2cmbt2 member
    How/when are you planning to tell work? (Or how did they react?)  my boss know- I told him before my first US. He knew about my CP, so I walked into his office, shut his door, and went “this may surprise you as much as it did me, but I’m pregnant again.” Him and his wife struggled with RPL to ultimately get their daughter, so he’s a really good support 

What are your plans after baby - how much leave, going back full time or part time or staying home? I go back full time around 10w. I go stir crazy and actually hate being on leave. I need the mental challenge of working

How are you dealing with first trimester yuckiness at work? Lots of walks. One of the “perks” of my location is we have an underground walkway, so I’m able to do laps around there when I’m getting tired
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • How/when are you planning to tell work? (Or how did they react?) My boss and office mate know due to lots of appts (RPL/2ndary IF). The owner may know now due to a text I sent him in response to some drama that we've been dealing with. not really sure how to tell the rest. At my last job I just told the 2 biggest gossips and done.

What are your plans after baby - how much leave, going back full time or part time or staying home?  I'll come back FT. I'll get 6wks for a vaginal birth. I'm sort of bummed about not getting to take as much time as when I had DS but I also started working from home around week 8.

How are you dealing with first trimester yuckiness at work? By being lazy lol. Not too bad but I'm definitely slower. I go home on lunch and that's kind of a nice break too.
  • Loading the player...

• How/when are you planning to tell work? (Or how did they react?)
    Told my officemate a couple of weeks ago. Will tell my boss after my yearly review, which is hopefully in the first week of April.

What are your plans after baby - how much leave, going back full time or part time or staying home? 
    Want to take 6 months' paid leave, then come back full time. Depends on if DC will have a spot for her in April or not. SO wants to take 2 months' leave as well. Ideally when baby comes but if DC can't take baby in April he'll likely just add his leave at the end of mine.

Nausea has really only bothered me after 4pm or so, but I do feel very bloated and heartburn-y, so sitting in my chair is not that fun. I've compensated by taking 20 minute naps on days my officemate isn't there.
    The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• emily1052emily1052 member
    edited March 2019
    @prpl11butterfly I love your idea on letting the office gossip do all the work!!

How/when are you planning to tell work? (Or how did they react?) I’ve told my boss, HR person and my sister who works with me obviously knows. I’ll tell the rest of the office once I get the genetic testing back. My boss knew we were trying (TW previous losses) so he wasn’t shocked. Just excited for us. He is horrible at keeping secrets so I keep having to tell him to “hush”.

What are your plans after baby - how much leave, going back full time or part time or staying home? I’m planning to take the full 12weeks they give us. I have short term disability insurance that pays 60% so that will help out. After that I’ll come back full time. I’d LOVE to be a stay at home mom but enjoy our two income luxuries.

How are you dealing with first trimester yuckiness at work? As best as I can. I work with my sister so sometimes I go in her office to take a nap on the floor. I’m shocked my sour cream consumption hasn’t outted me yet.... I have ADD so on top of all the pregnancy yuckiness I chose to stop taking my medication. I feel like the worlds worst employee sometimes. I’m very unfocused and have a rough time getting and staying organized.

Edit: omg format.  Sorry!
  • How/when are you planning to tell work? (Or
    how did they react?) 

I actually told my principal yesterday. They are working on scheduling for next year and I wanted to give her the heads up I’ll be gone from Oct-Jan. She was so sweet and kept congratulating me. 

What are your plans after baby - how much leave, going back full time or part time or staying home? I will leave about mid-October and come back after winter break in January. I plan to finish out the year and then probably take a few years off after that. We live overseas so I’ll look into going back to work after we move back home. 

I take my anti-nausea medication when I open my eyes in the morning. I try to snack throughout the day. Thankfully I work at a school that is more teacher “hands off” so the kids work on their own a lot. 
  • How/when are you planning to tell work? (Or how did they react?) I told the 3 bosses I primarily work with yesterday even though I'm not quite 8 weeks. I've been too sick to hide it any longer. They were all very nice and supportive. I have loss history so everyone encouraged me to put myself first.

What are your plans after baby - how much leave, going back full time or part time or staying home? We get 5 months leave so I'll be taking that then going back full time.

How are you dealing with first trimester yuckiness at work? It's horrible. I've been throwing up throughout the day and there is nothing grosser to me than having to puke in the work bathroom. I'm so unproductive. I've been working from home a LOT more which is the other reason I felt like I really needed to tell or else I would just look like a total slacker.
  • Thanks for starting this @greenbean-2 :D

How/when are you planning to tell work? (Or how did they react?) Had to tell my direct manager and our big boss at 7 weeks because they were planning our yearly audit schedule and had put a large, intense audit on my timeline for October/November and this plan has to be reviewed/approved by our board of directors.. so I felt it was only fair to tell them so they could rearrange. Told my direct coworkers and HR the following week. I'll tell a few select people as I feel comfortable, and will tell the company/everyone else after 12 weeks and our test results.

What are your plans after baby - how much leave, going back full time or part time or staying home? My work allows mothers and fathers to take up to 6 months unpaid leave with job protection. They will also give me 4 weeks full pay. Between that, the 6 weeks at 60% for disability, 6 weeks at 60% for paid family leave, and my saved PTO, I'm hoping that I will get to finagle at least 3 months/12 weeks at full pay, possibly close to 4 months. After that, I have to go back full-time but DH is a part-time SAHD and my mom will watch the baby on the days DH has to go to work (it's only for like 4.5 hours). Luckily, DS will be in kindergarten so no need for daycare for him anymore but now trying to figure out drop-offs and pick-ups for him will be interesting.

How are you dealing with first trimester yuckiness at work? I keep crackers at my desk for when I feel nauseous. I *was* trying to walk during my break to keep up with some exercise but between the rain and forgetting my tennis shoes at home, I've failed miserably the past few weeks. Trying to drink lots of water too. 
    TTC #1: September 2013, BFP 01/01/14, DS 09/14
    TTC #2: October 2018, BFP 02/02/19, EDD 10/14/19

• For those of you who get short term disability--do you get it the whole 6 weeks?
    My sdi will cover 6 weeks for vaginal births.
    But it doesn't "kick in" until I have been out of work for 20 days (as a general rule for anything, childbirth or injury or anything).
    So I get 2 weeks paid at 60% salary for short term disability. 

You'd think working for a school district is great for maternity benefits. It sucks. No paid leave except what I can build up. The only good thing is being able to take a leave of absence (at no pay) for pretty much as long as I want. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @wintersong both policies I have kicked in after 7 days. I don’t get it through this employer, so I have a private plan I took out through my union
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    Just a CYA for those planning on staying home after or considering quitting after leave (if you don’t know this already)- if you carry the benefits, your employer can require you to work X number of days before you can quit upon returning to work or you’ll have to pay back everything they paid towards benefits. I think the law says a 30 day max, but something to keep in mind
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @wintersong I live in CA so my non-payable waiting period for disability is 7 days. So for the first week of my leave, I will need to supplement with PTO if I want to get any type of pay. 
    TTC #1: September 2013, BFP 01/01/14, DS 09/14
    TTC #2: October 2018, BFP 02/02/19, EDD 10/14/19

• Eating like a hobbit (i.e. all the time). And some days I’m just not super productive. 

Related image

*** Stuck in box ***

Exactly. I’m all about second breakfast lately (which helps make up for being too sick to eat much dinner). 
    BabyFruit Ticker

I'm planning to wait until at least the end of the first trimester.  I am a department director with our local government and am literally the only person that can do my job, so they'll have to make arrangements to contract with someone else while I'm out to provide those services.  I am pretty nervous about my boss' reaction, but I plan to just go straight to HR first.  

I'm planning on taking about 8 weeks off.  I do have a short-term disability policy, so I may potentially take more off, but I'd hate to exhaust all my sick and vacation time just in case I need it for something else.  8 weeks will still leave me with a few days for follow-up appointments, etc.  I am the primary income earner between the two of us, so I'll be returning to work full-time.  Unfortunately, we'll have to do day care for the kiddo, but eventually it would be nice if my husband could be a stay-at-home/work-from-home parent.  

Honestly, just muscling through.  I've been very queasy, but have been popping preggie pops and drinking ginger ale and it's kept the sickness at bay.  I did throw up a few minutes ago for the first time, and if that keeps up, the people in my building are going to figure things out pretty quickly.  Fortunately, I work in a satellite office that doesn't interact much with the main administration, so even if they find out, I think I can keep it from the organization at large until I'm ready to disclose.  
  • cmbt2 said:
    Just a CYA for those planning on staying home after or considering quitting after leave (if you don’t know this already)- if you carry the benefits, your employer can require you to work X number of days before you can quit upon returning to work or you’ll have to pay back everything they paid towards benefits. I think the law says a 30 day max, but something to keep in mind
    Truth. 
    (In my case I will be quitting at the end of the school year so no nothing nohow anyway.)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    cmbt2 said:
    Truth. 
    (In my case I will be quitting at the end of the school year so no nothing nohow anyway.)
    I started looking for a new job after my leave with DS1 (long story) so I delved into this back then to make sure I covered myself. 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Those of you that are teachers- Are you planning to tell your students? I’m pretty sure I will be able to hide it since I will only be about 19 weeks by the time school lets out. I wear pretty baggy clothes and didn’t start snowing till around 20 something weeks last time.  
    I think it would be kind of funny to go back in August noticeably pregnant. 
  • How/when are you planning to tell work? (Or how did they react?) pretty sure my boss and a few others already suspect it. My clothes are already fitting different and my eating habits have changed. I had my 1st appointment today, so now that I have seen the heartbeat, I will probably tell my boss next week. Should be interesting. I recently got a pretty decent promotion, but she also knows I wanted more kids so idk.

What are your plans after baby - how much leave, going back full time or part time or staying home? I'll take the full 12 weeks FMLA. STD will cover 5 weeks at 60% and I will hopefully have vacation/sick time saved up. With my first, I worked a decent amount from home after the first few weeks at an hourly rate. So I will probably do something similar. I will go back full time after that. I want to go to part time eventually, but idk. I am struggling with giving up the pay and the adult time. And I can't do my current job part time so I would have to change jobs. Just a lot to think about. 

How are you dealing with first trimester yuckiness at work?  eating a lot. not being as productive lol taking walks. drinking lots of water. mostly complaining.

For those of you who get short term disability--do you get it the whole 6 weeks?
    My sdi will cover 6 weeks for vaginal births.
    But it doesn't "kick in" until I have been out of work for 20 days (as a general rule for anything, childbirth or injury or anything).
    So I get 2 weeks paid at 60% salary for short term disability. 

Wow - 20 days sounds like a long time for a STD policy. Mine is 7 days. So the policy says '6 weeks at 60% pay' but it's actually only 5. dumb. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    I'd like to wait until after I get my NT scan results, but that's another 4 weeks and I don't know if I can hide my bump that much longer. In the meantime I told one co-worker a couple weeks ago, and strangely, one this morning. Both very discreet people (this morning's was due to the fact that I suck at assisting said co-worker with her morning duties lately, so I felt an explanation was owed, lol). I think my other two office mates will wait it out begrudgingly, but will be all "I knew it" once I finally say something.

So once DS hit toddler hood I really started to feel the pain of missing some of his development, despite the fact that I like work, most of the time. That coupled with the fact that I would only break even working for the daycare money and bills (I dky, we still split house bills rather than pay them jointly) we decided I'll be a SAHM for a while. I'm both looking forward to it and nervous that I'll start to feel trapped. Since my fiscal year starts in June, I'll be saving my PTO since I get paid for it when I leave, but not taking any STD this time around. Just over and done with it all shortly before the birth.

Awfully. I keep coming in later and later in the morning. I guess I'm pushing through but it's so hard to pretend you don't feel like 🤢💩💩💩🤢 the entire day. Trying not to talk about food all day is a struggle and I've found myself wanting to take back things I've said many a time due to them being total pregnancy giveaways. Plus the whole needing to unbutton my pants as the day wears on is getting trickier and trickier to avoid as I get fatter.
    Me: 41 / Fiance: 35 +  One DS, one dog & two kitties...
    First BFP: 1/17/16 = EDD 9/21/16 (MMC)
    Second BFP: 6/24/16 (CP)
    Third BFP: 2/7/17 = EDD 10/20/17 🌈 *** BORN 10/23 *** 🌈
    Fourth BFP : 2/5/19 = EDD 10/14/19
         BabyGaga
  • @nanner26 STM show sooner. With DS I had just the slightest hint of a bump around 20wks. But with my pregnancy last year, by almost 12wks I had that same hint of a bump.
  • @nanner26 Last time I told them around the beginning of May for a September baby. I was definitely showing, and they were like "We knew it, but thought maybe you were just getting fat?" :lol: I teach HS, so really no hiding it from them any longer than my coworkers. Not sure when I'll share here, but probably on the same general schedule of "Oh, well, it's pretty obvious now!" I'll be teaching some of them again next year in their 2nd year of physics, and we had a teacher last year who didn't tell, had her baby in October-ish, and then decided on leave to just not come back, so I don't want any of them to panic in August when we get back and I'm huge!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My birthday is in April in a Monday, so I’ll pry tell my boss the Friday before and then everyone else on my birthday. 

I really don’t know how much leave we will get. I believe ours is covered under short term disability. Someone made a comment today they thought it was 6 weeks. I was thinking it was 12, so that will be a huge bummer. I guess I’ll find out when I tell hr. If I’m able to take 12 weeks I will.

I will go back to work full time after the baby. I would love to go part time, but I’m pretty sure I know the answer work would give.

It has been a struggle at work lately, between being quesy and tired. I took an excessive amount of jolly ranchers to a meeting and my coworker asked me whose kid I stole them from. I wanted to point out if I didn’t have them there was a definite possibility of me losing my lunch. I’m pretty sure all my coworkers have it figured out, between my constant snacking and tighter fitting clothes!
    Welllll I'm starting a new job in August.  I'll probably tell my new boss after my first ultrasound

I'll continue working full time after baby is born

I have gotten past the first trimester yuckiness (10.5 weeks), but while I felt yucky, I sipped on cold Pink Stork morning sickness tea and ate cheerios constantly in between lessons.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • How/when are you planning to tell work? (Or how did they react?) My boss is a very good friend so we invited him and his family over for dinner last weekend and told them.  They knew we had tried for a while so they were very happy for us.  I’m also in a good place where I finally have backup while I’m gone.

What are your plans after baby - how much leave, going back full time or part time or staying home? 3-4 weeks off (all PTO), then back full time.  I took 2 weeks with DS1 and 4 weeks with DS2 and so I’m fine with this.  The only reason I’m not taking more is because DH SAH, so I’m leaving baby home with the other parent.

How are you dealing with first trimester yuckiness at work?  I wasn’t as of last week.  Mostly zoning out and feeling terrible the whole time.  I feel much better this week.
  • How/when are you planning to tell work? (Or how did they react?) If all goes well, I’ll be telling my boss after genetic testing results come back. I plan to tell him and also come with a recommendation for how to best plan for my absence. 

What are your plans after baby - how much leave, going back full time or part time or staying home? Most likely I’ll be taking around 18 weeks like I did last time. In my state we get 12 weeks FMLA in addition to the disability period. I’ll definitely be returning full time. 

How are you dealing with first trimester yuckiness at work? Ok. I’m lucky I’m not vomiting at all, but it’s definitely a challenge getting through the day. My "morning" sickness builds throughout the day so I feel at my worst in the afternoon and evening. It's making my mornings pretty normal and productive and then I just reach a point in the afternoon when I'm just done.
    *TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

• How/when are you planning to tell work? (Or how did they react?) I’m a middle school teacher and I work closely with my team of fellow teachers. My closest workbestie knows because I told her about my previous two CPs; she’s also 6 months pregnant. So I’m so excited that our babies will be just a few months apart and hopefully be in the same daycare class!  I’ll likely tell my other team teachers after 12 weeks. I have an ultrasound the first week in April so probably then. I probably won’t tell admin until I start noticeably showing. 

What are your plans after baby - how much leave, going back full time or part time or staying home? My leave is dependent on saved up sick time, and lucky for me, as a relatively healthy FTM, I have lots of time saved up. I can take up to four months paid, but I’m not sure if I trust leaving my students with a sub for that long. Who knows though. I have no idea how I’m going to feel post-baby, or when I’m going to be ready to go back. 

How are you dealing with first trimester yuckiness at work? I might be the only person in this thread or group that hasn’t dealt with nausea. Sorry, ladies! Fatigue and being on my feet most of the day are what’s killing me. I’m not really coping. I’m just spacing out and being super unproductive during my preps. 
  • How/when are you planning to tell work? 

I’ve told some coworkers and I’m telling my boss on Monday even though I don’t have my first appt until Wednesday. I’m in a new role and it’s kind of complicated timing. She’ll be happy for me but prob freaking out a little on the inside. 

I get 6 months fully paid leave. I’ll go back full time. 

Eating frequently and always having cold water available. It helps stop waves of nausea for me!
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• jhokaj524jhokaj524 member
    edited March 2019
    How/when are you planning to tell work? (Or how did they react?) : I told my work at the 6wk mark. I do in home intensive therapy with with some aggressive children, so I felt telling them sooner rather than later would be ideal in case my OB tells me my work is too strenous/dangerous. I also announced to one of my families that I work with. 

My bosses were SUPER excited and immediately asked if they could throw me a baby shower 😀. The family I work with was excited too. The mother has been a great source of information and suggestions!

What are your plans after baby - how much leave, going back full time or part time or staying home?: I'm working on shifting my schedule and my work activities so that I will do most of my work remotely when I return from leave. I would like to get to a point where 70-80% of my work can be done from home and 20-30% is direct provision of therapy and supervision. I'm fairly certain my work only gives 6 weeks of personal leave. I may stay out longer than that, since I have short term disability to help with pay. I still need to have an in depth conversation about this with my bosses. 

How are you dealing with first trimester yuckiness at work?: I've modified my programming with some of my clients to make it less physical in nature (I have a few kids who love to spin, dayf, be thrown, jump, and be swung). Also have been bringing snacks to work and a refillable 32oz water bottle.
    I am a teacher and I told my teaching assistant so she knew why I was holding onto the wall when I got up etc. I told the principal when I had to go home mid day from being sick. I told a friend and then that took care of itself..everyone knows haha. 

I get a year leave and I’m due Oct 1 so I thought about just taking September off and going back to work for the following September. 

im having to dig deep inside for my patience and compassion amongst my moodiness. I am not arriving early anymore and I take lots home with me to do on the couch. I am trying to drink lots and take a day here and there to recover. I am eating so so much too. 
    We are on March break now and I am hoping that returning week 14 I will be able to push through to the end of the year!
  • nanner26 said:b
    Those of you that are teachers- Are you planning to tell your students? I’m pretty sure I will be able to hide it since I will only be about 19 weeks by the time school lets out. I wear pretty baggy clothes and didn’t start snowing till around 20 something weeks last time.  
    I think it would be kind of funny to go back in August noticeably pregnant. 
    Haha. I am not overweight, but I have a little belly and the little munchkins have already asked if I was pregnant in the past before I even was! Second graders have not filter. But since I've been pregnant, no one (no kids that is...) has asked (9weeks now). We'll see if I start showing... I am not coming back next year regardless, so it might be a good excuse when I tell the kids I'm not coming back.
  • How/when are you planning to tell work? (Or how did they react?) I haven't told everyone, waiting for 12 week check up. My team knows and they are excited as they can be. My boss was surprised just as much as I was though lol. 

What are your plans after baby - how much leave, going back full time or part time or staying home? Right now I plan to take 12 weeks. Were transitioning to 2 kids now and my hubby's job schedule is changing so I'm hoping I'll be able to find a good groove for our family while I'm out.

How are you dealing with first trimester yuckiness at work? I keep salty snacks, mints and ginger at my desk. Ive cut down my meals and increase snacks because when I get hungry I get very nauseous. So I try to spread out my eating.
  • DH mentioned on Saturday night that we probably had enough in savings for me to take a full school year off, if that's what I really want. It would be tight, but we'd be able to pay all the bills just fine. I told him I had just signed my 2019-2020 contract Friday afternoon :lol: But seriously, the SAH life is terrible for my mental health, so I am fully planning to return to work. Now, I just have to figure out pumping on a high school schedule and how to get two littles ready for the day and out the door in time to clock in by 8:15.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • steminist said:
     how to get two littles ready for the day and out the door in time to clock in by 8:15.
    Same here, my DH's schedule is changing and if its the same when the new baby comes he won't be much help in the AM. I love my sleep but I think I'll be needing to get up earlier. The only saving grace I may have is my daughter is 4, and she's slowly getting to the point of doing more on her own so I'm hoping we can keep that up and get her more independent.
  • ab920ab920 member
    How/when are you planning to tell work? (Or how did they react?) I had to tell them when I was only 6 weeks (yikes!) because at office parties during Mardi Gras, people noticed I wasn't drinking and they asked. I felt bad lying so the truth came out! 

What are your plans after baby - how much leave, going back full time or part time or staying home? I'll be out 12 weeks and then returning to work full time. My job requires me to "stay on top of things" while I'm out, so it's really just I'm not expected to be in the office for 12 weeks. 

How are you dealing with first trimester yuckiness at work? I keep a toothbrush and toothpaste in my desk. :smile: Also, ginger tea, ginger ale, and lots of ginger suckers. We got this! 

• How/when are you planning to tell work? (Or how did they react?) I told my supervisor a few weeks ago and he was very supportive! 

What are your plans after baby - how much leave, going back full time or part time or staying home? I will get 4 weeks of paid new parent leave and then plan to take an additional 2-4 weeks so 6-8 weeks in total. I cant imagine not working but I am sooo looking forward to being with baby!

How are you dealing with first trimester yuckiness at work? I have been dry heaving at work and it's terrifying! I have to do home visits so I always hope and pray I don't have to vomit at a strangers house! Preggie pop drops from target have helped some.