February 2019 Moms

Other post partum stuff - questions, rants, advice, etc

We've got a few other specific threads for post partum stuff but thought it would be nice to have a genetic thread where we can ask questions, rant, vent, whatever. 

My first rant is that my insurance company is denying my charges associated with delivery. Because it was a c/s we're talking almost $30k between me and baby. Not exactly what I want to deal with right now!

Re: Other post partum stuff - questions, rants, advice, etc

• Question: Are belly bands worth it?
  • @bellebaby221 oh no that's awful! 
    @glitterbug6 I was wondering the same thing
  • Loading the player...
  • If you've had a c/s, my thought is absolutely the belly band is worth it. It made coughing, sneezing, laughing, etc less scary and I found I moved more when I wore it. The extra support was so helpful. 
  • I used a belly band both times - neither were a c-section - and I swear it helped my belly shrink back down. I also breastfed/feed both times, so that may be part of it too.
  • @bellebaby221 I hope you get you insurance sorted. That’s such a pain to deal with.

@glitterbug6 I’m wearing the bellyband that they gave me in the hospital. I wasn’t crazy about it at first, but it has been helpful getting around. It also feels good to have everything tight and secure. 
  • @bellebaby221 oh my goodness - that’s such a pain to deal with. I hope you can get it sorted out! 
  • Is anybody using lotion on their LO? My doc said not to, but I’ve read that we’re supposed to be lotioning the babes to keep the moisture in their skin. I have a Pediatrcian appointment tomorrow so I’ll ask then, but I’m curious what other mamas are doing. 
  • I am. Morning and evening. Her skin is so dry. I keep calling her my little shedding snake  ;).
    I'm using baby aveeno and baby dove.
    I can't imagine how itchy she'd feel if I didn't. 
  • @nataliezbrungart we are too! His skin is getting dry (we live in New Mexico, where the air is really dry). What did the pediatrician say? I’m curious! 
  • @kenishi the pediatrician said I don’t have to lotion LO since he’s still shedding. Only if I want to, but she said it’s not going to make a difference. 
  • Does anyone know when it's ok to take LO to public places?
  • @jgrodo
    We've been out with baby since she was about 3 weeks. I keep her in the car seat under a cover and push her in the stroller or I wear her in the moby. 
  • @bellebaby221 how crowded of a place did you take her? 
  • We go out to the grocery store in the middle of the day when it wasn't as crowded. Or out to lunch. 
    We keep her covered so strangers don't get the urge to get close or touch. 
  • Anybody using a dockatot or baby sleep nest? LO is sleep ok in his bassinet, but putting him in his crib for naps is a struggle. Just wondering if the dockatot is worth the money. 
  • @bellebaby221 ah, I was debating lunch but the place picked I'm pretty sure will be crowded so I think I'll pass for now. The grocery store midday sounds like a good activity :smile:
  • Anybody using a dockatot or baby sleep nest? LO is sleep ok in his bassinet, but putting him in his crib for naps is a struggle. Just wondering if the dockatot is worth the money. 
    We use the Snuggle Me Organic lounger in the crib but we use it at night and baby naps wherever we put him, not necessarily in the crib. But we conclude it’s what keeps him cozy at night. But we also got it for free.. 
  • @amberray13 I will definitely look into it. Thanks! 
  • This is my first baby, as well as the first baby I’ve ever had to take care of at all, and I feel like I’m doing it all wrong. He almost never lets me put him down during the day. I don’t know how to incorporate play and nap time. He normally falls asleep while eating and I know that’s wrong. And we don’t have any type of routines. I wouldn’t worry about it but I know it can lead to bad habits. Any advice?
  • @amberray13 I’m a FTM too. Based on everything that I’ve heard/read newborns sleep a lot. Try not to be so hard on yourself. I’m sure you’re doing a great job. Remember you are learning as you go, just like the rest of us FTM’s. My LO falls asleep while feeding too. If he’s sleeping I wake him every 2-3 hours to change and feed him. If he stays awake after his feeding, I do tummy time and read to him. If he falls asleep again, I let him sleep. It’s a lot of work being new in the world, and they have a lot growing to do. If you’re really worried talk to your pediatrician. They always put me at ease when I have questions.  
  • @nataliezbrungart Thank you, it’s definitely hard.
  • @amberray13 I'm a 4th time mom and sometimes I don't know what I'm doing either! My pediatrician told us that once baby gained her birthweight back and was continuing to eat well and produce wet and dirty diapers, we could stop waking her to feed. So if she naps 3 hours or gives us a 4 hour stretch at night, it's all good. If she falls asleep after eating I'll either enjoy the cuddle time or put her in her chair. If you find it's hard to get anything else done try baby wearing. You can do what you need to and baby gets the closeness he wants. 
    I'm sure you're doing just fine. You'll figure out what LO needs and get a routine soon enough. We're just now at 6 weeks starting to get some kind of routine but it's definitely not rigid or consistent.
    Hang in there! 
  • @nataliezbrungart I have a Snuggle Me Organic as well for the living room. She switches btwn that and a rock n play during the day when she's not feeding or being held. She is comfy in both of them!  At night she sleeps in our room in a pack n play  <3
  • Do y’all have any recommendations for acne face wash while breastfeeding? I’ve been dealing with pregnancy acne for 9 months and just put up with it but I’m ready to be back to my normal self.
  • @amberray13I've been using Clinique's Acne Solutions foam wash and their 7-day tone repair scrub, plus their tone repair serum. It's going okay, but one thing I know from having 2 other LOs, in addition to my new DD, is your hormones have a mind of their own for the first 3 months postpartum. My skin, hair, and emotions are always wacky during this time.
    Good luck finding a product that will work for you, just steer clear of retinoids since you're BFing.

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

• FYI ladies...Cluster feeding is driving me mad! It’s non-stop every night for 3-4 hours. I’m going to lose my mind. 
  • @nataliezbrungart Argh cluster feeds equals no rest / no sleep / very sore nipples
  • One more quick rant. If DH mentions taking me time (for himself) one more time, I’m going to go completely mental. I know this is a life adjustment for him too, but seriously I need him to stop talking. 
  • Ahh help ladies,  I have a cluster feeding baby,  a sick 3yr old, and a not so dh that has been sleeping all day. (And when I was gone for an hour, left the dog out who chewed a bunch of unused diapers up and toddler toys). So done with today.
  • Well, @corgicreator, unless your DH can feed a baby, he needs to take your 3 year old NOW!! Not acceptable!  :)
  • Do you guys know when you start to use soap on babies face?