November 2019 Moms

First time Moms

Hi everyone,
Thought is would be fun to introduce myself to some other first time moms! I’m 26 living in Ontario , Canada with my DH and 2.5 years old Black lab mix,my EDD is November 5th.

Thought it would be nice to share some questions,good resources, thoughts and things we are looking forward to and maybe somethings we are afraid of being first time moms!
❤️❤️❤️

Re: First time Moms

• First time mom here! I’m 38 and my DH and I got married last April and just started TTC in Dec/January. I’m anxious given my age and I just know the first trimester will be tough for me mentally due to that anxiety. Trying to remain calm and just trust that my body will do what it needs to do. 

Live in the upper Midwest with DH and a sweet mutt named Little Debbie. I’m an attorney and DH is a chef. 
  • I'm a first time mom as well! I'm 32 and MH is 31. We've been together for 10 years - married for 5. I live on the west coast now, although I'll always be an east coast girl. 

EDD = Nov 10th. I am really, really happy, but also really nervous. I just want this to be a healthy pregnancy so badly. I've been kind of anxious because I feel like I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing, if anything. 

MH has been reading Expecting Better and The Expectant Father to prep - he's liked them both. I've been reading a little bit of everything. My friend recently had a baby and she said that the thing she wishes she had read up on more was the actual labor and pushing part. 

• Loading the player...
  • @mvc003 I just ordered the Expectant Father for DH. He’s already anxious, he has had a stomach ache for the last two days and I’m 90% sure it’s nerves. Poor dear. It has to feel pretty helpless for the fellas. Hoping the book will give him some good reassurance. 
  • @rachelredhead I'm a 38 yo FTM as well (will be 39 in 3 weeks). DH and I have been married 1.5 years (he's 41).

We got pregnant last year but unfortunately I lost that baby at 10 weeks. Started ART in November and had our FET on 2/20. 

Keeping 🤞 as we're both so ready to be parents. Filled with excitement and anxiety at the same time.
  • @erins_321 happy to not be the only AMA rockstar in the room. 😁 I’m so sorry for your loss, that must have been so hard. FX for a healthy and happy 9 months! 
  • @rachelredhead yay! Yeah, MH has been really anxious. But honestly I feel like at this point he knows more about pregnancy than I do. It’s the blind leading the blind over here. 
  • I’m a FTM as well. I’m 36 and my DH will be 36 in a few months. We completed our FET on 2/19 and were so so excited when the beta tests came back positive. I just feel so anxious and worried for each step. Our first u/s is scheduled for 3/25 and I’m trying to be patient. I’m just curious if this feeling of worry will go away at any point or if I will feel it until delivery of our healthy baby. 
  • MH also just ordered "We're Pregnant: The First-Time Dad's Pregnancy Handbook" and "From Dude to Dad".
    You guys might want to check them out too! 
  • I’m also 38 and going to be a FTM, EDD is Nov 9th after a Feb 21st FET.
  • erins_321erins_321 member
    edited March 2019
  • @hchill0209 sounds like we're on similar timelines  :)
  • I'm 40 and I'll be 41 in April. DH is 42. We transferred a frozen embryo 2/22. Our first beta was Monday 4w1d 264. The second is tomorrow. We are anxious. This is our final transfer. The first we lost at 8w. 2nd didn't take.  
  • I'm also a first time mom-to-be! At 39, my huuby (who's 42) thought we were beyond getting pregnant. We've never explored IVF or any alternative. We had just decided if it happened,  it would happen and we'd be so blessed. I think my biggest fear is showing up to my first dr appt and have them tell me my 3 positive tests were wrong. I hope and pray that's not the case, because we are so ready for a little blessing!
  • Hi @kerbie821! Congratulations! I’m a FTM and 38 and have similar anxieties. It helped me to confirm the pregnancy with a quick blood test. Not something you have to do, but it at least helped me quit buying more tests. 😂
  • Hi all! FTM here as well.  I'm 26, DH is 34 and we live in southwestern PA with our 3 kitties and german shepherd dog. 

I am so nervous! We conceived pretty quickly and it just feels too good to be true. @kerbie821 I have the same fears about my first appointment! I won't see my doctor till I'm 10 weeks and it doesn't help that they did not put me at ease when I called to schedule. The lady basically said, it's too early to tell (I was 1 week late) and that I should've waited a week to test. Whether or not that's true I'm not sure how it was helpful since I'd already done it.... 

I'm loving all the book recommendations for the guys! DH is looking for a book so I'll have to check some of these out. I'm about halfway through Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and I really like it even though it is a little too hippie dippie for my taste. @mvc003 I think it gives really good understanding of the physical part of labor and pushing! Iiib know I've learned leagues more about the whole process since starting it.
  • Thanks @sassafras917 !! I’ll definitely have to check it out :)
  • Hi everyone! I’m 31. 11/2 estimated due date. My husband and I have been together 9 years and got married in October 2017. We live in the Boston area with our cat.

This is my first pregnancy and our child will be the first grand baby on both sides! We’re excited, but these first 2 1/2 weeks since I got my BFP have been super stressful. 

I’m fat so my pregnancy, like every other medical interaction, has inevitably put me face to face with bias and weight stigma from folks who automatically assume I’m unhealthy based on what I weigh. I’m in the process of switching practices and I’m hoping I’ll have a more positive experience with my new midwife. 🤞
  • @tashia5587 congratulations! I hope you find a supportive, engaged midwife and medical team for your pregnancy! Pregnancy is stressful enough, you don’t need the added burden of that bias. 
  • Hi! MH and I are both 31 and expecting our first! We have a dog who rules our lives (75 lb golden retriever) that we love unconditionally! I agree with everyone, the first few weeks waiting for the first OB appointment is stressful! But that's what this app is for, right! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who is impatient and nervous. 
  • Hi! I am 28 and DH is 31 and we are expecting our first miracle IVF baby after almost 3 years of TTC with fertility assistance (thanks PCOS...). We have two dogs, a schnauzer-dachschund mix and a mim pin. Our baby will be the first grand- and great-grand baby on both sides. My husband and I each lost a parent in the last 3 months so this has been a day of sunshine in an otherwise very difficult time. Best wishes to all!
  • emmac99emmac99 member
    edited March 2019
    Hi y’all. MH and I just found out we’re expecting. I am only 19 so I feel a little out of place on here. I’m a stressed wreck right now because life is literally happening so fast. Don’t get me wrong, I’m super stoked to have this little bundle of joy, but it’s kinda a scary thought for me honestly. 
  • I just had a “oh damn. I’m a grownup” moments. Thinking about how I’m going to be someone’s MOM prompted me to power clean my fridge. 

This is is so weird. 
  • @knottiebefdc3146c48b90f welcome! It’s totally understandable to be nervous/stressed but know you have an incredibly supportive group of women here to help you along your journey, and many second (or more) time moms who give wonderful advice.  I think at any age having your first child can be very nerve wracking even if you’ve been trying and wanting a baby for years. Also I suggest changing your user name from the knottiexxxxxx that was assigned to you, it’s hard to tell you apart from the other users with that same user name but different numbers/letters.
  • Fellow FTMs! I've been feeling some type of way lately! I'm anxious about how my relationships with my best friends, who are all mostly single, will change. I'm the first of my friends to be pregnant (FX!) and I'm feeling really weird about it. 

I'm also anxious because I feel like I know nothing about taking care of baby. Nothing! My chest starts getting tight when I think about being alone with MH trying to do something neither of us has ever done. I know he'll be a true partner, but neither one of us knows how to do this. But I can't wait to hold this baby!!!!! I am SO excited but terrified. 
  • @mvc003 I totally feel you on this. I was watching the friends episode when Rachel has her baby shower and freaks out and I was like oh my god I know nothing! (Though I do know that a breast pump is not a baby bong). I’m hoping the what to expect book that I bought helps. But I think that’s just for being pregnant, idk!! 
  • @kopp5988 and @mvc003 I'm just lurking here since i"m a STM, but I was the same way. My hospital offered a baby care class which was super helpful. We took it the day before we left the hospital after my son was born. I think my OB practice also had a class like that you could take prior to the birth but we didn't go to that, lol. 
  • @creamcheeseplease good to know! Thanks!
  • @kopp5988 glad to know I’m not the only one!! All the books I bought stop after labor and delivery, so I’ll have to get some that start the next phase 😬

@creamcheeseplease thank you!! I’ll definitely figure out where I can take a class
  • amanda8kensamanda8kens member
    edited March 2019
    Hi! I’m 28 years old and have been married to MH for 2 years, and like many of you...our pup (a 6 year old black lab) is the center of our world. We have been trying for a little over a year and have experienced 2 chemicals during that time. We have wanted this so badly and now that it’s here I am paranoid of my every move and feeling because I just want a healthy and happy 9 months. We are due November 2nd so I am 7w4d. We had our first ultrasound on Monday where we got to hear the heartbeat 💗 it was so special...and in the midst of my happy tears the technician said to me and my husband “if I were you, I would put the pregnancy out of your mind right now because it’s still so early and anything can happen.” I decided to ignore her comment and celebrate the little miracle but we are exploring other practices now. My husband is currently reading “The Expectant Father” and I’m reading “The Sh*t No One Tells You When You Are Pregnant” it’s honest and real, which I enjoy. I’m also listening to the “Birth Hour” podcast where women come on and talk about their labor experiences. Cheers (with a non alcoholic drink) to beautiful pregnancies for us all! 
  • @amanda8kens wow! that technician is so rude. What an awful thing to say to someone. Glad you were able to ignore her comment and celebrate anyway :) 
  • amanda8kens I'm so sorry you had to deal with that terrible technician!

We're due date twins!  I also LOVE the birth hour podcast. The Longest Shortest time has lots of great episodes about birth/ early motherhood too.

• @amanda8kens I’m glad you were able to ignore that incredibly unprofessional comment. Unbelievable. Congratulations on a *great* first ultrasound! 
  • @amanda8kens omg! I can not believe she would say that! So insensitive 
  • I'm also a FTM  and have been waiting for this for so long. I'm 32 and husband is 35. We have been together for over 13 years and married for 4. We tried for over 3yrs to conceive and after 3 IUIs our little one is on its way! I have been preparing for this for years and can't wait to see how the next 8 months will go and can't wait to meet our baby. 
    We have two furr babies that are super spoiled and they love our nieces and nephews. I'm curious how they will act throughout all of this. 
    As far as nerves go I have been fine. My husband is excited and since I will be a stay at home mom we are getting our finances adjusted for that. 
  • FTM mom here, and definitely feeling overwhelmed. I am currently 6 w 2 d and have an appointment for April 4. I know that first OB appointments don’t happen until 8-10 weeks (besides pregnancy confirmation), so my appt is perfectly in line with normal practices, but I still feel like somehow I’m behind, or I’m missing something crucial! Anyone else having this feeling?
  • @kmb412 I’m a family practice doctor in England & in my area women don’t see the midwife til 8-10 weeks for bloods etc & then scan 12-14 weeks. I never thought it was weird but now I live in the US, the last 3 weeks have been the longest of my life waiting to have an ultrasound (having at 7+5 next Monday because I head to England the next day, otherwise wouldn’t be seen til 8 weeks), I have no idea how any British woman copes!! Haha.

so...I’m 31, FTM, I’m a family practice doctor in England but since moving to North Carolina with my USAF husband, realised how long it’s going to take me to retrain, so I go back & forth to work & see my folks etc. We decided now would be a good time to “not try to not try” & thankfully it’s only taken us a few months. I’m hoping and praying that all turns out well on Monday because a) we are so excited about this baby and b) I have a flight to catch Tuesday morning!! Our 1 year old lab/Shepard/mutt rescue is our entire world & I honestly think my husband is going to find it very hard splitting his attention on the pup with our baby 😂

good luck to us all!
  • First time mom here! Got 4 BFP’s over the past few days (I was in shock... needed ultimate confirmation!). Called my doctor today to set up my first appointment. I can’t wait! 
  • plantmomplantmom member
    edited March 2019
    Hi All! FTM in upstate NY. DH and i are both 33, and the reality that I’m pregnant is just starting to hit. Going for my US on 3/25, as i think I’ll be 8w3d at that point based on LMP. Looking forward to getting to know everyone. I’ve been lurking for a solid month at this point.

My EDD is 11/1
  • Anybody else not finding out the gender of their baby? Just me? I’m curious!