June 2019 Moms
Options

FTM Registry List

I know there are quite a bit of us FTM that don’t know what to put on the baby registry, so I decided to just make this thread to help throw out ideas and such. I know every family has different needs but there has to be universal needs that every parent should have. Some of us may have already gotten help/advice from friends and family and it would be nice to see input on certain items. There is the STM registry list, which is nice to see what STMs get the next go around. 

Re: FTM Registry List

• Options
    lmcwlmcw member
    Thanks for starting this @ami500!

I'm curious about what bits of advice people have gotten from family and friends about particular baby items (like make sure you get a swing that does X, don't bother with that brand, etc). I'm also wondering how far ahead some of you ladies are planning; like some of the registry lists I've seen include things like dishes and cutlery for when baby starts learning to feed themselves but that seems a long way out!

And for any STMs, was there anything that you received that was a total life saver? Anything you registered for that ended up being useless?

Advice I've received so far: 
    - Plastic highchair over fabric, just for ease of cleaning. Unless the fabric easily removes and can be thrown in the washing machine it'll be filthy and you're better off with a plastic highchair that can be wiped clean.
    - Get a baby bath with a mesh or fabric sling/hammock that can be clipped in and then removed later when they can sit up on their own. If you go all plastic then you have a slippery wet baby on slippery wet plastic! The hammock keeps them in one place and gives you both hands free for bathing. 
  • Options
    @lmcw No problem!

I’m one of those that put dishes and cutlery into the registry. My friends tell me that kids grow up pretty fast and before you know it they’ll be using it, so it’s best to have it now. 

Some of the advice I got were:
    - don't get alot of newborn clothes or diapers, babies will grow out of them really quickly. Just get a couple packs and buy as needed if you need more. 
    - register for all different brands of diapers and wipes, you won’t know what will work best for baby until you try them. 
    - don’t get a traditional diaper bag, backpacks are much better. Just find one with enough storage space.
    - make sure to have change of clothes for you and baby in your diaper backpack and car in case of accidents on the go. 
    - changing table is unnecessary, a dresser or using a changing pad on the bed or couch does the job without the extra furniture. 
    - get a stroller combo system. It’s a must have especially for newborns. 
    - get a bouncer or rock n play, lifesaver when you want to get a shower in. Had a friend regret not getting one and had to wait for dad to come home before she was able to do anything. 
    - skip the baby laundry detergent if you already use dye and fragrance free detergent, since it should be gentle enough. 
    - if you plan on breastfeeding, get a breast pump through insurance. 
    - register at different sites to get free sample baby items. 
    - baby banana toothbrush/teether is a baby favorite, definitely get this item. 
    - add things like pantry or frozen (homemade or premade) food. You may not find a lot of time to grocery shop and prepare meals with the newborn. 
    - add favors like walking the dog or any other needs your family would have. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Griffin5413 I also had a friend suggest using cloth diapers as a burp cloth. Was there a brand of any kind you would suggest or just any thick white cloth diapers? 
  • Options
    @ami500 - They gave me a bunch at the hospital and I took everything in those drawers (my nurse told me I could :smile: ). I want to say that they were just gerber but I really can't remember. I just know they were the thick cotton white ones. I literally had a stack. lol

Me: 33 (no known issues)
    DH: 33 (lower motility; 0 morphology)
    TTC since Oct 2013
    IVF round 1 January 2016 (w/ ICSI)
    ER: February 17, 2016; 15 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 8 sent for PGS - 5 Normal
    FET date: April 12, 2016 - DS born Dec 7, 2016
    IVF round 2: FET : Oct 4 - 1st Beta 188!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Griffin5413 Ohh okay. I had a friend say to take anything and everything the hospital gives for you to take home. I’m like duly noted. Even suggested asking the nurse for any extras they can give if possible. 
  • Options
    Just as extra non-essentials, I've included a bunch of baby books and asked family and friends to share a book instead of buying a card. I figure this is one way to start her library early and hopefully foster a love of reading. 

Everyone also tells me not to register for just one type of diaper since you don't know what's going to work best for your baby. So instead I set up a diaper fund on Amazon.
  • Options
    @holyboobsbatman - we did the same thing with our shower. My favorite part was all of the books he got. It started his whole library. You can even google cute saying cards about giving a book instead of a card. 

Me: 33 (no known issues)
    DH: 33 (lower motility; 0 morphology)
    TTC since Oct 2013
    IVF round 1 January 2016 (w/ ICSI)
    ER: February 17, 2016; 15 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 8 sent for PGS - 5 Normal
    FET date: April 12, 2016 - DS born Dec 7, 2016
    IVF round 2: FET : Oct 4 - 1st Beta 188!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    lmcwlmcw member
    @Griffin5413 That’s an amazing list, thanks so much for all the tips! My type A self is feeling very overwhelmed with how much stuff babies (allegedly) “need”. You’re also the third person in about a week that I’ve heard say that their baby didn’t like the mamaroo; I feel like it gets so much hype online, but it’s soooo expensive!

@ami500 I keep being cautioned that the hospital won’t give me anything to take...I feel like I need to prepare for the worst!

@holyboobsbatman It sounds like that’s what’s happening for one of my showers too, and my sister-in-law just gave me a bunch of baby books that she was clearing out, so I’m excited to start a library for our guy!
  • Options
    @lmcw I guess it also depends on the hospital. Things have changed in the couple years since my friends had their kids so they could be more stingy on things. 

@holyboobsbatman That’s what I was planning on doing! With all the technology these days, it’s better to get the little one started on books and reading.