August 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Baby Monitors

cato99cato99 member
edited February 2019 in August 2019 Moms
Hi everyone! This week we're spotlighting baby monitors, those magical devices that help us get some rest in a different room from baby. 

What baby monitors do people have? What functionalities of your baby monitors do you use? Just audio-visual or do you also play lullabies or talk to your babies? And in a larger sense, what were your guidelines and recommendations for choosing one? Range? Image quality? The attraction of WiFi-enabled apps on your phone? Connection security? Would or did you choose the same one for a second baby and beyond? Please share!

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlights

Re: Product Spotlight: Baby Monitors

• Options
    We have an Infant Optics DXR-8, and overall I’ve been happy with it. It’s audio-visual, and has great range (all over our decently large house, and even into our neighbors back yard!). I’ve been happy with image quality, and it switches to a “night vision” setting in the dark. It doesn’t have any fancy phone apps, but personally I don’t mind just toting the monitor around wherever I go. We’ll be continuing to use it for the twins, just adding an extra camera. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We use a very basic baby monitor, I can't even recall what brand it is because we rarely use it. With the layout of our house I can hear sounds coming from the nursery from almost anywhere in the house, it is more helpful when I want to go out into the yard while LO is napping. There have been maybe a handful of times that I thought it would be nice to see what is happening in there without opening the door so I do not feel the need to have a video monitor, also the security of them makes me very uncomfortable. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    We have a summer infant video monitor. It was on sale at BRU, so that's the one we got. It has lasted fairly well over 2 years now, but I don't know if we'll be able to add a camera. If we can, that's what we'll do for #2. 

I was very anxious having LO out of my sight when he was tiny, and I like the video monitor if for no reason than peace of mind that they're still breathing and nothing has changed. 

I'm no security buff, but it doesn't hook to a wifi network and comes linked to the receiver from the factory. I have chosen not to go down the rabbit hole of video monitor security issues. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    I’m having such a hard time finding one I like. Right now we have a Samsung, which I really like, but want a newer version to add a camera and it doesn’t seem like they’re making them anymore?

My must-haves are VOX mode, being able to move the camera through the monitor, multiple cameras, and well-rated. Temp reading would be nice. I do not want an app, I like having it as a separate unit and I don’t want to have to rely on WiFi. 
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We're considering is getting a non-baby camera (like Nest brand) and putting it in baby's room to use as a video monitor. I feel like the security might be a little better and we'd be able to use after we're done using it with baby. We'd probably still get an inexpensive audio-only monitor. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We've only used a baby monitor when traveling (cheapest one we could find haha).  At home we don't even use one bc he's not far away and we can hear him if he needs us. For those of you with huge houses or if youre super deep sleepers I'm no help,  but if you aren't sleeping far from baby its not necessarily a necessity. 

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    I’m trying to find a good one that they have here. I don’t want wifi as I don’t trust it. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Options
    We have a hello baby monitor we ordered off of amazon.  It is a very basic video monitor with good range and does not use wifi.  Someone in my past BMB had someone hack into their camera and talk to their baby, so I would recommend something that does not connect to wifi.  We also have a security camera in her room, but it is on a secure network.  There is a slight delay with those though, so something to keep in mind.  I believe our monitor was around $80 and we plan to buy a second one for this baby. 
  • Options
    @mkrel ugg that is my nightmare....
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    We have the Arlo security system and use the baby monitor camera is our son's room. I like having a visual so I can check in without going into his room, but we also use cheap (I don't even know the brand) audio monitors because I don't want to have the app pulled up on my phone every time he's in his room. 
  • Options
    @aecm The Infant Optics is the one I was thinking of going with so I'm glad you like it. I think I saw it recommended in Baby Bargains. FYI for folks, it is not on wireless so it says it is made with digital privacy in mind. This is it on Amazon.

Question:  Do/did any moms use the Owlet monitor or similar? My sister has one for my niece and has really liked it but I've read conflicting things, including that they are not worth it and that they just add a false sense of security. I'm kind of leaning no on getting one but would be curious for other's experiences. 
  • Options
    @aecm @zamora_spin That’s the one I was looking at on Amazon! I’ll stick with it 😊
  • Options
    I had similar hackability concerns to many of you so I didn't get one with WiFi or handy apps. Someone in DD's BMB had someone hack the camera control and move it to face the seat where she always nursed, yikes. We have this Philips Avent one and I honestly can't remember the exact specifications that led me to it, only that I read a number of articles on connection security and this one seemed to click a lot of boxes. It looks like the Infant Optics one others are recommending is pretty similar! 
  • Options
    @zamora_spin We used the snuza monitor and loved it.  I'm a nurse and I knew I would over analyze the O2 sat and heart rate with the owlet.  O2 sat readings can also be off very easily with user error.  I've never tried the monitor so I don't know how user friendly it is.  
    The thing we liked about the snuza is we never had false alarms, and if it didn't feel baby moving (abdomen) for 15 seconds it would send a light vibration to stimulate breathing.  THEN it would alarm it baby didn't respond to that. The light would turn from green to red if it vibrated at all in the night, and I did wake up to a red light a few times so it clearly did it's job and worked.  We plan to replace the batteries and use it again with this baby.  
  • Options
    I forgot to mention... the Infant Optics one has a room temperature reading, but I don’t trust it. It consistently reads about 3F higher than our thermostat, and I KNOW the room does not feel 75F. I also know one other person who has the same problem with it. But yeah, other than that, it’s a good monitor.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We have the summer infant sure sight 2.0. It's pretty basic--no wifi, not amazing picture quality, but good enough. We'd had a nicer one that was given to us second hand and then died,and we've found that a more basic version suits our needs fine. Its also expandable up to 4 cameras. I would recommend it as a budget option! 
  • Options
    database6database6 member
    edited February 2019
    @mkrel we are looking into the Snuza and I think you just sold me on it. 

We used the AngelCare monitor with the movement pad under the mattress for our first. It actually still works almost 6 years later but I do want to get a newer one with a better picture and range. 

*edited because I had forgotten the name of our monitor 

• Options
    We used to have a Philips monitor but they eventually stopped.working I think. So we got two of these and they defidefinit get the job done. Pretty much my only requirements for a monitor is that the parent unit is rechargable and that it has a "talk back" feature, that way if me and DH need to communicate in the middle of the night we can. It also comes in handy if one of the boys asks a question while I'm in my room or something.

www.amazon.com/dp/B007NG5UF4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Q9hBCbK7Z750V

We also have an Angelcare monitor with the two connecting mats that we used with the first two. When DD was a baby she was in a bassinet next to the bed until she was 6 months old. Then it didn't feel so necessary, plus it was the third kid so we were a lot more lax.
  • Options
    We had a basic audio one with DS but our house was so small I rarely used it. We ended up giving it away before moving overseas bc the frequency or something would make it unusable. 

Our floor plan now is much different and we started using our Canary security cam as a monitor. I love it because of ease of use and we move it to the main area of the house when we leave town. It is a basic model but has temperature/air quality monitor, night vision, and we monitor through a phone app. It also will alert with movement if we set that up and record short frames when movement is detected. If you pay for a yearly membership you can have some extra features like talking through it and long term recording abilities. 

We plan to get a second one once next baby moves to their own room probably. All that being said, I haven't done my due research on the WiFi security but I figure if my husband thinks it's secure enough, then I'm good. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I want a baby camera that has 2-way audio. That way I can hear what's going on, but also talk to my daughter while I'm away. I've been browsing a few different ones. Not sure how much I'm willing to spend though
  • Options
    wabash15 said:
    I am a tin-foil hat person (well at least a bit) and even the tiniest chance someone could hack into my baby monitor and watch me or talk to my baby,... nope, nope, nope! so we are old-school with audio only and love it. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Options
    What kind of monitor would you suggest for someone with property? For example, If the baby is down and I need to go outside and check an animal or something. What monitor has the greatest range? I have 5 acres. 
  • Options
    @agpandme Our video monitor doesn't have range like that (I think it maxes at a few hundred feet), but that's considered part of the safety features now. So probably a plain voice-only would be your best bet? Plus those tend to have a belt clip & our video monitor does not. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    I found one with 900 feet, seems like obstructions aren't a problem. Probably will get a voice one for a back up just in case we find out that the long range one doesn't work at our place.   I don't need to go very far but the barn at least would be nice.