October 2019 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• @manillabar yep, same here. I can only hope that #2 doesn't make them too much worse....
  • What are you or will be using for belly cream/butter? 
    Palmer’s belly butter or the A&A lotion. It won’t help with stretch marks if that is your concern— that’s genetic. It helps with the itching though 
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • Loading the player...
  • @manillabar yep, same here. I can only hope that #2 doesn't make them too much worse....
    Mine didn’t get any worse the second time around  🤷🏼‍♀️
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @telicious2 I used Burt's Bee's belly butter relgiously twice a day with my first two and didn't get any stretch marks. The women in my family are very prone to them. So genes or not, I'm using it again this time. 
  • LMMama said:
    @telicious2 I used Burt's Bee's belly butter relgiously twice a day with my first two and didn't get any stretch marks. The women in my family are very prone to them. So genes or not, I'm using it again this time. 
    The women are only half of your gene pool...
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • LMMamaLMMama member
    edited February 2019
    @cmbt2 Thanks for the clarification! Just saying, not gonna stray from what I did before and hope for the best. 
  • What are you or will be using for belly cream/butter? 
    Like for stretch marks?
    Nothing. I very erratically smeared some coconut oil on there with DD1 and just completely left it with DD2. No stretch marks.

If your skin feels dry and uncomfortable I've had friends who used the weleda sets and loved them:

@tel@telicious2 I'm unfortunately prone to stretch marks and based on reviews went with this oil as well. I'm a FTM and it probably won't help, but doesn't hurt to rub in twice a day so might as well try!
  • What prenatal tests will you have done?  I've done the anatomy scan with my first two but want to do the early blood testing look at other possible abnormalities this time (finding out sex early is a bonus). Does insurance cover it?  What is the out of pocket expense?  My last pregnancy was three years ago and it wasn't covered then.
  • What prenatal tests will you have done?  I've done the anatomy scan with my first two but want to do the early blood testing look at other possible abnormalities this time (finding out sex early is a bonus). Does insurance cover it?  What is the out of pocket expense?  My last pregnancy was three years ago and it wasn't covered then.
    I paid out of pocket for the panorama because insurance doesn’t cover it. They refused to cover it even as a high risk pregnancy. I got billed for $450. I called them when I got the bill, and they knocked it down to $200. I’ll be doing panorama again (but not finding out the sex). 

I did the quad screen with DS1, and the panorama + NT with DS2. I‘m skipping the NT this time around 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Thanks thanks for the recommendations ladies. Sorry I should have clarified. I understand stretch marks being a genetics thing. I want to stay on top of moisturizing to keep the itch minimal. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • @lmarie2009 We’re doing NIPT as soon as possible. We’ve done it for all my pregnancies. Insurance didn’t cover it for my first pregnancy because I was under 35, but if you call the company when you get the bill they adjust the cost. I believe it was $200, but it’s been a while, so I’m not 100% sure. Insurance covered it during my second pregnancy because I was 35.

We are also doing chorionic villus sampling ASAP, because...

*TW LOSS TW LOSS TW LOSS*
    our first baby only lived 3 weeks. He had a rare genetic mutation that caused multiple birth defects that were not compatible with life. Our geneticist estimates there is a 3% chance our future children could have it. Because his mutation is so rare, NIPT tests don’t screen for it, so we have to do that testing separately.
  • @PleaseSendPicklesNow Terribly sorry you experienced such a tragedy. How incredibly sad. I hope everything comes back healthy and perfect with the results for this pregnancy!

@lmarie2009 I'm not 100% sure, but I think the first trimester screening and the quad screen are covered by insurance if you're 35+ . I had way fewer bills with my second pregnancy than with my first. (I was 33 with the first, and then 35/36 with my second).
  • edited February 2019
    @cclarin Invasive prenatal testing is a pretty big deal. It’s probably different for everyone. But when I had it, it hurt like hell, and it scared me. I cried while it was being done. If you don’t have a strong risk of your baby having a major problem that NIPT tests don’t cover, I wouldn’t do it.
  • @PleaseSendPicklesNow thanks for sharing and the advice! Sorry about your past losses and wishing you a happy, boring 9 months. I'm planning on texting her after we get confirmation at our first appointment and before the rest of the family by a few days
  • If you suspected you had a UTI would you be comfortable waiting a few days to go to your doctor? I have my first appointment Monday and would prefer to wait until then.

I had to pee earlier and had to force it to come out. Then had to pee again 5 minutes later. I have had some lower abdominal discomfort that I just chalked up to pregnancy issues but it could be related. So the symptoms aren’t bothersome but I will go tomorrow if I have to, if it could escalate quickly. 
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    If you suspected you had a UTI would you be comfortable waiting a few days to go to your doctor? I have my first appointment Monday and would prefer to wait until then.

I had to pee earlier and had to force it to come out. Then had to pee again 5 minutes later. I have had some lower abdominal discomfort that I just chalked up to pregnancy issues but it could be related. So the symptoms aren’t bothersome but I will go tomorrow if I have to, if it could escalate quickly. 
    Untreated ones can cause problems. I wouldn’t wait
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • This may or may not be a "depends on your provider" type question, but I'm going to ask anyway: how many of the prenatal appointments include blood draws?

I had 4 vials taken at my first appointment during week 8, and I know we will likely do NIPT testing at 12w (I've read approximately 9 vials taken then) and then the glucose test at approximately 28w (no clue how many vials required for this). Should I expect any other blood draws?
  • How do we go about requesting a Saint Louis Babies thread in the local section? I'm kind of surprised there isn't one already!
    DD 10/2019
  • @galentine I can't remember exactly but I think that about covers you. 

@Meagan-2 I'm not sure but I think most if those groups are dead. I know my "local" one is.
  • @prpl11butterfly @meagan-2 My local group is dead too, sadly
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    galentine said:
    This may or may not be a "depends on your provider" type question, but I'm going to ask anyway: how many of the prenatal appointments include blood draws?

I had 4 vials taken at my first appointment during week 8, and I know we will likely do NIPT testing at 12w (I've read approximately 9 vials taken then) and then the glucose test at approximately 28w (no clue how many vials required for this). Should I expect any other blood draws?
    I only had one more draw than that, and that was specifically to test my homocysteine levels in 2nd tri. Standard is maternity panel at 8-12w, whatever draws for any testing you do (some are 2 draws), and the glucose screen at 28w. If you do the one hour test and fail, you will have to do the 3 hour fasting gluocose test. You’ll have ton of blood taken when your admitted for labor and again after delivery. 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @melanier26 I had my husband press really hard with his knuckles on the spot while I gently rolled my neck and stretched both arms every which way. He had to work it for a good five minutes, but it definitely helped a lot, and the relief has lasted for two days now. It was so bad I could barely turn my head to the right, but now it's about 95% gone. I get this every so often, and this was the first time I thought to have him try that.

Good luck!
    DD 10/2019
  • @meagan-t Thanks. I went to the chiropractor yesterday which helped a bit but today it’s sooo bad 😕 Every time I move it hurts and it makes the nausea worse 
  • @melanier26 did you end up going in to be seen today? How are you feeling?

@galentine I think that’s usually about it unless there’s something else they’re concerned about. I had a couple extra draws last time because she was monitoring my thyroid levels.
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Is anyone else pregnant and nursing? It hasn’t hurt like this since he was a newborn! 
  • @PleaseSendPicklesNow I am!  I agree, my nipples are more sensitive now that I’m pregnant and I remember it being this way the last time I nursed and was pregnant.  I’m hoping to wean soon bc this baby I’m currently nursing is almost 2....🤦‍♀️  My last baby self weaned when I was about 20 weeks pregnant.  Not sure if my milk changed too much or just lost interest so I’m just waiting for this one to wean now. 
  • Sorry I feel like I am so full of questions lately. This morning I feel crampy in my lower abdomen. I thought it was my uterus but I feel something, I’m assuming my large intestine, that feels swollen. I did have a bowel movement this morning (maybe TMI but I have diarrhea every morning when I wake up). Is it most likely just a BM coming? I’m drinking lots of water to see if it helps
  • Are any other FTMs having a hard time mentally preparing for the body change?  I have struggled with body issues for most of my life, and I know I am doing what I need to For the health of my baby.  I just find myself anxious about gaining too much weight, stretch marks, and feeling bad about myself.  I’ve already gained 8 lbs and an entire cup size and I’m just shy of 9 weeks.  I’m embarrassed to even admit that but hey - I’m being real!  I’ve been craving cheeze-it’s and am not allowed to exercise right now so that is also impacting my mental state.  
  • @jane101757 yes!  I’m 9weeks 3 days and have already gained 12lbs.  I’ve never weighed this much in my life and it’s only the beginning.  
    TW I went through two losses before this pregnancy.  Knowing how much we want this baby and knowing all that we went through to get here helps out a lot.  It’s also temporary.  
    ❤️
  • @jane101757 I have also struggled with weight and body image. This is my third pregnancy. I actually found I felt better about myself when I was pregnant, the weight didn’t bother me as much as I thought it would and when I looked in the mirror I saw myself as pregnant not as fat or bloated.  I didn’t notice the weight gain as much. I gained 30lbs with my first, over 40 with my second. For me the harder part was after I had the baby.  I know every pregnancy is different, but I hope that you can see yourself as beautiful and enjoy your pregnancy despite any weight gain. 

• @emily1052 thank you, I’m glad I’m not the only one feeling that!  I’m also 35 so bouncing back might be harder for me than some of the younger moms to be in here!  *TW* I’ve also been through losses over the past year.  I feel like my body has already been through the ringer from that.  Still so thankful to be here and eager for all of the good things to come!!  
  • So I'm 5w6d and while I haven't really gained weight yet, my clothes are getting tighter. I'm talking clothes that were still a little loose a month ago. Is this relaxin? Is it something else? It's frustrating. If I had gained weight I'd know that's what it is, but I haven't. The tightness is primarily from my thighs to my waist.

This sounds like a silly question, but I'm just really confused. I didn't think your body would show physical changes until later?
    DD 10/2019
  • @lmarie2009 thank you for sharing your experience and for the supportive words.

@meagan-t I think that progesterone that your body makes in the first tri slows down your digestion.  Good news is that it sticks around longer in there for body and baby to absorb the nutrients but it does cause bloat!  I know the bloat for me is real right now... all pants are tight 😊
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    meagan-t said:
    So I'm 5w6d and while I haven't really gained weight yet, my clothes are getting tighter. I'm talking clothes that were still a little loose a month ago. Is this relaxin? Is it something else? It's frustrating. If I had gained weight I'd know that's what it is, but I haven't. The tightness is primarily from my thighs to my waist.

This sounds like a silly question, but I'm just really confused. I didn't think your body would show physical changes until later?
    So, general, no, it happens in 1st tri (for most people, hence the general comment). You get bloated and some belly weight pretty quickly. Around 14-18w, you’ll “pop,” which is when that extra belly weight forms a distinct bump. It usually happens literally overnight, this formation of a distinct bump. 

Some women like myself will put on cup sizes by 7-8w.

depending on how you react to progesterone, water retention can start pretty early, too, which will
    make you bloat even more 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    In terms of body image, though, I found that when I had to finally succumb to maternity clothes, it helped to pack up all my regular clothes so I wasn’t seeing them constantly. i did that with DS2, and it made a giant difference in how I viewed myself because I didn’t have the constant reminder of the pre-baby me
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • meagan-t said: 
    So I'm 5w6d and while I haven't really gained weight yet, my clothes are getting tighter. I'm talking clothes that were still a little loose a month ago. Is this relaxin? Is it something else? It's frustrating. If I had gained weight I'd know that's what it is, but I haven't. The tightness is primarily from my thighs to my waist.

Same boat here, I thought I gained weight based on how uncomfortable my clothes felt this week, but I didn't yet. Honestly gaining some weight would've eased my mind that things are going well, which I understand doesn't actually make sense. I'm 9 weeks tomorrow so not gaining anything makes me slightly nervous.
  • @junebabyh that's comforting to hear, thanks for sharing!