October 2019 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• Totally agree induction was way better but I was also full term the first time. Second time I was a month early. I didn’t understand that I had to walk around 😂😂
  • emily1052 said:
    Hi all!  Looking for recommendations on pregnancy books (other than What to Expect).  What book are helpful?  Which ones did you enjoy?  Which ones do you recommend for a FTM?
    chiming in on expecting better, it felt more in line with my attitude towards my first pregnancy than other pregnancy books i read. oster’s no scientist but i appreciated her approach. 

gotta say though, the most helpful resource i ever came across during pregnancy was an audible version of 12 hours sleep by 12 weeks old. that little book became my bible once i gave birth. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @cmbt2 I loved your unsolicited advice to @emily1052 about reading birth stories. I was really into the “Birth without Fear” website which was mostly comprised of various birth story entries. Every story was positively presented. Even the more traumatic ones were presented from the perspective of, “I am strong because…”  I just went searching for the site again and unfortunately, it seems nothing like it once was. I had to dig behind the ruthless advertisement for their upcoming book and new podcast series to find the story entries.

Anyway, reading others’ stories really helped me to understand that I could plan for what I wanted, to expect the unexpected, and that I was capable. It really helped me to visualize the birth (like a sports player might) and to get excited for my own story to unfold.  

@wintersong I also second your suggestion for the Bradley Method.

• My Beta test came back VERY positive, so I’m definitely pregnant, but my OB said my progesterone levels are low, and prescribed me Endometrin as a suppository. Has anyone else had this experience? My insurance will not cover the medication, and it’s going to be close to $1,000 :neutral: there aren’t many options, and because my OB is pushing it, I feel like it’s very necessary, I’m so fearful of a miscarriage! 

Note: I have NO history of miscarriage, PCOS, Endometriosis, issues with vertical lining, etc. This is my first pregnancy.
  • My Beta test came back VERY positive, so I’m definitely pregnant, but my OB said my progesterone levels are low, and prescribed me Endometrin as a suppository. Has anyone else had this experience? My insurance will not cover the medication, and it’s going to be close to $1,000 :neutral: there aren’t many options, and because my OB is pushing it, I feel like it’s very necessary, I’m so fearful of a miscarriage! 

Note: I have NO history of miscarriage, PCOS, Endometriosis, issues with vertical lining, etc. This is my first pregnancy.
    I have no experience with that medicine, but I understand the fear of miscarriage. Is it possible for you to call your insurance provider and ask what it would require for them to cover it? Your doctor may be able to write a letter or something. 

Call and see if they can prescribe them orally and if that’s covered. It’s probably coded as a fertility treatment and not a prenatal need.

Take them. Low progesterone is not a good thing in pregnancy. Just because you have no history as it’s your first pregnancy, it doesn’t mean that this isn’t going to be an issue this time around 
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • I am on Crinone suppositories due to RPL. If your OB says to take them, you should. I would not skip it just because of the cost. Ask the pharmacy about no insurance discounts and coupons. My med cost 175 but they processed it differently and my cost is only 35 now. I promise the cost is worth it.
  • This is a really dumb question considering its my 3rd pregnancy but I am hyper analyzing everything my dr. said today.  He saw an embryo, but we didn't see / hear a heartbeat on transvaginal u/s.  He said nothing about a yolk sac and I didn't even think to ask.  Does an embryo come after the yolk sac...ie if we saw the embryo its definitely there? I hate this waiting game...I know you all feel me. 
  • @jd614 the embryo does come after the yolk sac! Is your doctor concerned at all? Does he want you to come back for another scan? 
  • @jd614 the embryo does come after the yolk sac! Is your doctor concerned at all? Does he want you to come back for another scan? 
    He was very upbeat about it. According to my LMP I am 7w3d, but when we didn't hear the heartbeat he said it could just be you aren't as far along as we thought. He wants me to come back next Thursday for another u/s.  He said he was  "cautiously optimistic" and at this point there is nothing about the embryo that has him concerned.  I was surprisingly calm the whole morning, but then of course my brain wanders and I'm analyzing every symptom and googling. ugh. 

@smorales89 I know that sometimes these medications are considered specialty and thus billed differently. When I was prescribed Crinone, my pharmacy rejected the script and told me my insurance simply wouldn’t cover it. But I was persistent and I kept calling to find out why if it was medically necessary it would not be covered. After several representatives, I was told to contact a specialty pharmaceutical company that my insurance uses to outsource specific medications. Once I contacted them, they charged me $35 and shipped the medication directly to my house. I don’t know if this is the way your insurance operates but maybe it’s worth a try.
  • @jd614 I wouldn’t worry about it if your doctor isn’t worried. 

Dating based on LMP can be tricky though. With my son my due date had to be adjusted by 6 days since I ovulated late. With this baby I was tracking but was off by 3 days, with my LMP it was off by 9 days! 

• Has anyone else been diagnosed with a subchorionic hemorrhage? I just left the ER for bleeding and they told me I had one. I'm waiting to see my OB to get more information, and otherwise jellybean seems to be doing okay for now, but of course I'm on edge.

Help?
  • @ebcmoon they are unbelievably common. I had 1 with my first pregnancy and everything turned out fine.
  • sammygirl18sammygirl18 member
    edited February 2019
    @ebcmoon I was told I have a hematoma. I’ve seen them used interchangeably on google, but I’m definitely not in the medical field! I just had my follow up ultrasound today after a week and a half and baby is measuring right on track! It’s definitely been a long week and a half wait. I think they are more common than one would think.
  • @ebcmoon they are extremely common and often just a worrisome nuisance. I had one with DS1 that was found at my A/S (because I didn’t bleed from it). 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • Climbing or rolling over you should be no problem, however if you feel they are jumping on you/your belly maybe try explaining it hurts and is not nice?
    I have two boxers 80-90lbs who like to lay on me in the evenings and two kids whom do aswell, my doc said baby is well protected inside, but to just watch for direct hits to the belly (especially later in pregnancy as baby rises). Good luck momma! 
  • edited February 2019
    Excersize is completely fine while pregnant, and if HIIT is something you normally done before pregnancy, there should be no problem with continuing.
  • For ladies that have close family members or friends who are going through IF or have had losses (or have been through it themselves), when the time comes what's the best way to tell that person about your pregnancy and be the most supportive and sensitive about it? Any suggested language would be most appreciated!

Explanation of my situation *TW*: I have a cousin that I grew up. She and her husband have been trying for a while and had 1 loss (required D&C).  She's had surgery to remove cysts and was just given the green light to start trying again back in October.
  • @ebcmooon I was at the hospital last night for the same thing. Extremely scary and I’m still nervous but the baby was fine. They told me to rest this weekend. Thankfully I have my scheduled dating US on Monday so I’ll get to see the baby again and know everything’s okay. Still have some spotting and cramping. Not fun. 
  • @smorales89 thanks for the input and sharing, congrats! I'll definitely make the effort to make sure she hears it from me rather than the family grapevine. Was in person, over the phone or text better?
  • @marbellie my friend had to do it over the phone (it was a text) because she lives a few hours away now. I think in person or a phone call is better than a text :) however, the text was good for me, because it gave me time to think of a good response. I think it really depends on how you think it will be best for your cousin.
  • marbellie said:
    For ladies that have close family members or friends who are going through IF or have had losses (or have been through it themselves), when the time comes what's the best way to tell that person about your pregnancy and be the most supportive and sensitive about it? Any suggested language would be most appreciated!

Explanation of my situation *TW*: I have a cousin that I grew up. She and her husband have been trying for a while and had 1 loss (required D&C).  She's had surgery to remove cysts and was just given the green light to start trying again back in October.
    I have a friend who had a twin 2nd tri loss. I got pregnant with DS2 a few months after. When we were ready to announce, I sent her a PM stating my news as gentle as I could and that I didn’t want her to be upset by it. 

I did a PM (don’t have her phone number) because it gave her the opportunity to respond when she was ready and sent it a few days prior to announcing. 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @manillabar @cmbt2 @smorales89 thanks for the advice! I agree that I like the text more because then she wouldn't feel forced into responding or acting a certain way on the spot (texting is generally how we communicate too)
  • Has anyone dealt with a pinched nerve while pregnant? I woke up with bad shoulder blade pain yesterday. I tried ice packs that didn’t do anything and eventually took Tylenol. Today it’s been just as bad, to the point that the pain is distracting. I dont want to take Tylenol every day. Sitting with a heating pad did help but I can’t do that all day! Any suggestions? 
  • edited February 2019
    @melanier26 I have one that's perpetually pinched. I use a TENS unit but honestly haven't checked for safety in pregnancy (hasn't been bad enough to require it). I like heating pads and lidocaine patches (aspercream w/lidocaine if you cannot get and RX for the real deal) when its mild. Resting the arm is good. I usually have to go a few days with minimal weight bearing to calm it. And try to avoid sleeping on that side.
  • edited February 2019
    Double post somehow 🤷‍♀️
  • @prpl11butterfly Would a chiropractor help? I’m willing to go but if it won’t help don’t want to spend the money! 
  • @melanier26 it may for you. In my case it wouldn't because as soon as I sleep wrong, it's back to square 1. Personally I would try home methods first.
  • @prpl11butterfly Would a chiropractor help? I’m willing to go but if it won’t help don’t want to spend the money! 
    I was going to suggest seeing one.  It depends on the person on if it’ll help
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    I had sciatica with my DD2 - my ob-gyn sent me to PT and the therapist was a huge help with showing me exercises.

The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• Does anyone else’s OB tell gender at 16w? I know full genitals are visible at 20w, but she said her machine can tell gender at 16w?
  • What are you or will be using for belly cream/butter? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • @telicious2 I use burt's bees for my first but it didn't prevent stretch marks. I think it's another 1 of those "good genes" things. If your going to get them, nothing can be done to prevent them.
  • What are you or will be using for belly cream/butter? 
    Like for stretch marks?
    Nothing. I very erratically smeared some coconut oil on there with DD1 and just completely left it with DD2. No stretch marks.

If your skin feels dry and uncomfortable I've had friends who used the weleda sets and loved them:

The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• @prpl11butterfly  Agreed. I used a cocoa butter “belly rub” or whatever it was called diligently with my first but my abdomen is still covered in stretch marks. It’s all genes.
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker