October 2019 Moms

GTKY What are you reading/do you want to read?

I have rediscovered my love for books (kids really put a damper on that love for the last 6 years) and have set a goal for books read this year. I like to hear others suggestions of what they are currently reading or books that they love and would recommend. So have at her and answer any or all of the questions or any other questions you feel like adding and answering. 

What are you currently reading? 
What do you want to read? 
What are a few of you favorites? 
Who is your favorite author? 
Favorite series? 
Favorite genre?

Re: GTKY What are you reading/do you want to read?

• Thanks for starting this. I've always loved reading but sometimes life gets in the way and I have a long dry spell.

Here are a few faves:

The Chosen
    The Life We Bury
    The Hot Zone

Looking forward to hearing what others are recommending. I might renew my audible subscription!
  • Thanks for starting this. I've always loved reading but sometimes life gets in the way and I have a long dry spell.

Here are a few faves:

The Chosen
    The Life We Bury
    The Hot Zone

Looking forward to hearing what others are recommending. I might renew my audible subscription!
    The Life we Bury and The Hot Zone both look super interesting!! Adding them to good reads now... 
  • Loading the player...
  • Recently I read The Gown: A Novel of the Royal Wedding, which I recommend for anyone who is a fan of QEII 👑 
    I just finished The Lost Wife, which is the story of a Jewish woman who survives the Holocaust. A very good but haunting story. I literally just finished it and can’t sleep bc I’m in such a funk 
  • My one tried and true series (outside of HP) is the In Death series by JD Robb. I have all the official stories and most of the novellas. I just finished her newest one. 

I’m really into fictional mysteries/murder mysteries, so I’ve stumbled upon the David Baldacci books recently and read 3 of his series within a couple weeks
    🙈
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • I have absolutely no free time to read at the moment, but I'm totally adding your reccs to a list so I can enjoy them next year when I'm not in school. I typically love James Patterson and John Grisham books. @cmbt2 the ones you mentioned are probably right up my ally. Thanks!
  • itsnotmineitsnotmine member
    edited February 2019
    @@melanier26 Those are the books I love. The ones that stick with you after you are done reading them. I'll check that one out. 

@cmbt2 I haven't read and JD Robb books. Isn't that Nora Roberts other pen name though? I've read my fair share of her books. They were always a quick and easy read but I felt so many of her trilogy sets were the same underlying story. 3 women and 3 men and each one os based around one of the three and they fall in love. Maybe the the JD Robb ones are different?

@aprosch I know how you feel. I was able to read after my oldest was born. I would read while she was nursing or napping next to me. But the minute I had my second all that came to halt. I think I went almost 4 years without reading more than a few pages of a book which makes me sad. 

• @itsnotmine yes, same author, but it’s one giant (48ish books) series. It focuses on a NYPD detective with a dark and triggery past. It’s set in the late 2050s/early 2060. Each book starts with a murder (in most cases, it’s a serial killer) and follows the case. 

There is a love storyline as she does meet someone and get married, who has his own dark past. As the series progresses, she brings in more immediate characters and develop them as well. 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • cmbt2 said:
    @itsnotmine yes, same author, but it’s one giant (48ish books) series. It focuses on a NYPD detective with a dark and triggery past. It’s set in the late 2050s/early 2060. Each book starts with a murder (in most cases, it’s a serial killer) and follows the case. 

There is a love storyline as she does meet someone and get married, who has his own dark past. As the series progresses, she brings in more immediate characters and develop them as well. 
    That sounds different than the other ones. Maybe I'll give them a try! 

• Wait, Nora Roberts and JD Robb are the same person?! Mindblown!! I had no idea!
  • aprosch said:
    Wait, Nora Roberts and JD Robb are the same person?! Mindblown!! I had no idea!
    Yes! She started writing under the pseudonym because she didn’t want people judging a book by the author essentially, so she went with a neutral name. I think the first one came out in the 90s? 

Anywho, they are so different from the ones under her normal name, IMO. I’m not a fan of the majority of her regular novels, but I get all the In Death books pretty much the day they come out. 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • I also recently just got back into reading after babies and grad school busy-ness. I have a goal to read 15 books this year. 

I love all different kinds of books. I was on a mystery/crime spree for a while and read The Last Time I Lied, Then She Was Gone, and I Found You. All good reads. 

My favorite author ever is David Sedaris. Can't get enough of all his books and have read them over and over. I just read his new one , Calypso, and it was great. Waiting on my bookshelf are Becoming- Michelle Obama and a romance fiction called Little Paris Bookshop. 
  • I "listen" to audiobooks rather than read lol, but I have an audible subscription and go through at least one a month. 
    What are you currently reading? "Every Breath" by Nicolas Sparks (wouldn't really recommend but I was looking for something light) and "The Alice Network" (would recommend)
    What do you want to read? My genre interest changes. Once I finish these, we'll see what interests me.
    What are a few of you favorites? "Before We Were Yours" has got to be my all-time favorite so far.  Heart-wrenching and based on real-life events. And then "The Nightingale"
    Who is your favorite author? I'm all over the place...David Baldacci, Janet Evanich, John Grisham
    Favorite genre? Anything other than sci-fi

Pregnancy Ticker
  • anne11716anne11716 member
    edited February 2019
    Have recently finished
    Girl, Wash Your Face 
    One of us is Lying
    Neverworld Wake (good, weird end) 
    Girl in the Window (so good)

just starting The Husband’s Secret! I love mystery books!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @anne11716, I LOVE  love love The Husband's Secret. I hope you enjoy it! I also enjoyed The Woman in The Window (is that what you meant? Looks like both Woman and Girl are actual book titles), but I predicted the "twist" pretty early on.

My favorite genre is thriller/murder mystery. I want to read some pregnancy/parenting books, but they just aren't gripping me the way murder mysteries do 😂
  • I know there are some Harry Potter fans on here. If you like mystery novels check out the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling’s pseudonym), they’re really good