March 2019 Moms

The med-free birth thread

124»

Re: The med-free birth thread

• @abbykwail When I had been having irregular contractions for 21 hrs, my doula had me rub clary sage and jasmine on my belly. Within two contractions, my water broke and labor kicked into high gear. Baby was born (sunny side up and 8+lbs) within a couple of hours.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I will definitely be ordering some clary sage!! And refilling my almost empty jasmine 😊
  • Loading the player...
  • 36 weeks and it's date time!!! Any other med free mamas eating dates to reduce the need for pitocin? 
  • @govanalyst86 I can’t because they have too much sugar, but they’re really good with goat cheese. I did that last time, although not consistently.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • @meggyme thanks for the goat cheese recommendation! Are you giving something else a try this time around or are you less worried about going over?

Unfortunately, I will "risk out" of the midwife practice at 41+3. FTM so am trying to decrease the likelihood of that. Our childbirth class instructor also told us sex 2x per day starting at 36 weeks gets things going though that sounds excessive and exhausting! When we were trying to conceive once a day was fun for a few weeks then the romance started to wane.
  • meggymemeggyme member
    edited February 2019
    @govanalyst86 because of the amount of sugar in most dried dates I can’t eat them, and certainly not with the regularity required, because of GD. I’m planning to start walking more, borrowing a friend’s yoga ball, and expressing colostrum after 36/37 weeks to try to get things going. Last time I went into labor at 41+2, but my midwives won’t let me go over 41 weeks this time.

ETA: I’m not a fan of using things like evening primrose oil without my midwife OKing it, but we’ll see if I get desperate.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I've never heard of the dates thing. I used black cohosh last time (at my midwives recommendation) post 37 weeks. Also sex and just taking walks. I can't go over 42 weeks OOH, but I'm not too worried about going late. My first was three days prior to her due date, so I expect this baby will probably be similar. 
  • lindseyb918lindseyb918 member
    edited February 2019
    I'm doing red raspberry leaf tea currently, will up it to 2-3 cups per day once I'm 36 weeks. Will start dates at that time too. And have already warned MH that I'll be using him for his prostaglandins too. 

I've heard that a low glycemic index diet helps soften the cervix as well. 
  • edited February 2019
    I'm 36+3 and have both dates and red raspberry leaf tea, but I keep forgetting to eat them/drink it! I think I have only 3 dates and 1 cup so far!

Also I have been getting acupuncture every other Friday. About 2 weeks ago I started going weekly, and starting at my next session we are going to add in the 6 points that are contra-indicated during pregnancy because they can stimulate labor/have descending action. 
  • I am eating the dates, but I find it difficult to eat 6 a day - they are so sweet! Also drinking 2-3 cups of raspberry leaf tea. I walk 3 miles most days, and have started trying for more frequent sex (who could do this 2x a day at 36+ weeks??).

My daughter was an induction at 41W. I am trying to make this VBAC happen and I will do everything I can to avoid an induction or a RCS. So I am trying every thing I have ever heard of to get labor started on it’s own. 
  • You girls are giving me ideas. I was induced last time because of hbp so this waiting thing is all new. I bought a bunch of pineapple to eat this week. I’ve been working it out on my exercise ball since last week, every night. DH wants in on the sex game but the last few days I’ve had a lot of cramping and pressure so I haven’t been up to it. I’ve had a feeling for a while that I’ll go early. I’m 37 weeks tomorrow, so we will see how this next week goes. I’ve already progressed some and baby is sitting really low. 
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • @novelblessings why pineapple??

I just did 6 dates with red raspberry leaf tea and the dates were a LOT. Definitely needed the unsweetened tea to hell finish them. Tomorrow I will experiment with 2 in  a smoothie, 2 with cream cheese on toast, and 2 in the form of no bake cookies. 

I also feel a lot more pressure and also some low back aches this week and have slowed way down on the exercise. 
  • TTM here and wow I’ve never heard of this dates thing! I’ll have to try it out. With my first, my water broke and I never went into active labor so had to be induced with pitocin. Still went med-free, so not exactly the best experience. With my second, I did not dialate past 2cm throughout active labor. Due to hospital policy on being 6cm for admission, I labored in triage until I suddenly had to push. DD was born 10 minutes after I was technically admitted. We’re using a new hospital system this time 😂 FWIW, I did have my membranes stripped with her at 39w3d and she was born the next day.
  • I did some dates last time, although I wasn’t great about getting 6 a day. Did go into labor naturally and got him here med free. Already have dates to start adding to my smoothies starting Tuesday. Planning to keep up the walking and I probably need to get a yoga ball. Based on where I’ve been feeling hiccups, her head is down by my left hip... so not exactly where she needs to be...
  • edited February 2019
    @abbykwail it has an enzyme in it that is suppose to help soften the cervix and induce labor I guess. Figured I’ve been in a pineapple eating mood anyways so might as well try. 

ETA: I’ll have to try the dates too. Luckily I already have some I’ve been mixing with peanut butter pretzels. It’s a snack I use on long runs to keep energy going. So I guess I’ll just add it to my daily snacks. 
  • @lelkcot Have you tried any moves or exercises to get her to move? Hopefully she will decide to shift over soon! My girl is so low in my pelvis I have hiccups in my butt LoL, so weird! 
  • @novelblessings I use dates on long runs too! Or sometimes dried apricots. I can’t stomach any of the sweet GU stuff or Gatorade and the dried fruits really keep me going. 

I have been thinking about labor snacks and I decided to make and freeze some date energy bites. Basically dates, almond butter, unsweetened coconut, craisins and walnuts thrown together in the food processor. 
  • I was really good about it last time. This time I’ve just been trying to get at least one larabar in a day...last time I rolled them in coconut shavings, cut them up and put them on top of cereal, or mixed them in smoothies. I wouldn’t eat all 6 at once. I really need to get back into this, but my body just doesn’t want to.
  • Ooh, larabard would be good. I was already planning to get some this week for a labor snack. 
  • I'm adding all these to my list after my midwife told me they wouldn't let me go past my due date since I'm 40. With DS my water broke before I was in active labor, so I was induced, and it sucked. I did deliver vaginally, but only after 42 hours, being tethered to a bunch of machines and not able to move, an epidural-induced blood pressure crash, and a 6 hour drip of epinephrine. I'd really like to avoid all that this time around so the news was not welcome. Life has been really crazy so I haven't had time to do much in the way of prep, but the midwife told me once I hit 37 weeks to start trying all the tricks. I really hope I go into labor naturally.

• Wasn’t thinking larabars either. I have a stash of Rx bars currently at home. 
    Just wanted to post and say I’m really excited that for one I will not need to be induced early this time and two I found out I won’t need antibiotics for GBS! So I won’t be connected to an IV or need constant monitoring, like last time and that makes me so happy! This is what I wanted last time but hbp made that impossible. Really hoping everything goes smoothly so I can avoid the interventions I had with DD1. 
  • @novelblessings I’ve been doing inversions, hands and knees, yoga for good birth positions and walking. Hopefully she gets in position!!
    In the category of probably a dumb question- would a support belt worn during walks inhibit her getting really heads down for any reason?
  • @lelkcot well hopefully she gets there. My yoga instructor told us that one of her girls was always off the side but repositioned during labor. So she has time to move. Don’t know about the support belt. I’ve been wearing one on and off and my LO still dropped into position. 
  • I believe coming down from the left side in general (vs the right-sided positions) is more likely to result in a favorable position for labor. Here's how mine is laying, I also have hiccups near my left hip: https://spinningbabies.com/learn-more/baby-positions/other-fetal-positions/left-occiput-transverse-lot/
  • @novelblessings thanks, hopefully she’ll get in place- I’ve got an appointment tomorrow, so I’ll definitely be asking!
    @lindseyb918 thanks, that’s helpful! I’ve looked at the exercises there, but hadn’t seen that.
  • Anyone else who is eating dates notice a change in digestion? 😜
  • I have been eating dates since 35 weeks (though I’m doing 3 a day - they’re massive medjool dates so maybe that’s why? My research - and doula - indicates 60-80g per day is good so that’s what I’m eating). I may switch to larabars soon for some variety, or make some date energy balls - they’d make a good labour snack too!
    I’ve also been on the RRL since 34 weeks. I started with one cup a day, moved to two cups at 36 weeks and I’ll up it to 3 cups at 38 weeks. 
    Haven’t been walking as much as I’d like - I’ll have to get on the treadmill since it’s freezing and snowy here. 
    I plan to try sex but maybe when I get a bit closer, around 38 weeks (I’m 37.5 now). Haha. I just haven’t been in the mood. Sigh. 
    My doula also recommended evening primrose oil so I’m doing my best to remember to take it, but between the dates and tea and my multivitamins I tend to forget the EPO. Oh well. I’m doing my best here!
    I’m also going to ask for a membrane sweep at 38 or 39 weeks (whenever my OB feels is a good time to do it) - I’m desperate to avoid a pitcoin induction! 
    I didn’t need to be induced with DD (she came at 40+4) but I’ve recently had two friends go 10+ days overdue with their second babies so you just never know!
  • @abbykwail I had the poops so bad on Saturday and Sunday 😂 

Finally figured out it was the dates. I'm going to try spacing out eating them throughout the day to see if that helps. Nothing kills the mood in our house like a good bout of diarrhea.
  • @govanalyst86 glad I'm not the only one! I took a few days off to feel normal again, and then added 2 to a smoothie this morning, so we will see what happens! 
  • @abbykwail @govanalyst86 Is that gets going on?!?! Jeez! I’ve been eating dates for nearly a month and never put two and two together until I read this just now :lol: I just figured it was a third trimester thing. Ok, I’m going to start spacing out my dates throughout the day and hopefully I experience some relief!