2nd Trimester
Options

Failed the one hour glucose test

Hey fellow bumpers! Anyone fail the one hour glucose test? My OB had me take mine at 14 weeks since I am overweight and considered advanced maternal age and I failed with a 175. I’m stressed out as I’ve tweaked my eating habits over the past few weeks. I had a hard time during the first part of the first trimester and didn’t eat the best but have cleaned up my diet over the past few weeks. I’ve even lost some weight (still eating, just healthier choices). She’s sending me for the three hour test and I am really stressing out. Did anyone do anything special to prepare for the 3 hour test? I’ve read some things saying you should carb load and some saying to carb load and some saying to eat clean. Just feeling overwhelmed with this right now.

Re: Failed the one hour glucose test

• Options
    Hey fellow bumpers! Anyone fail the one hour glucose test? My OB had me take mine at 14 weeks since I am overweight and considered advanced maternal age and I failed with a 175. I’m stressed out as I’ve tweaked my eating habits over the past few weeks. I had a hard time during the first part of the first trimester and didn’t eat the best but have cleaned up my diet over the past few weeks. I’ve even lost some weight (still eating, just healthier choices). She’s sending me for the three hour test and I am really stressing out. Did anyone do anything special to prepare for the 3 hour test? I’ve read some things saying you should carb load and some saying to carb load and some saying to eat clean. Just feeling overwhelmed with this right now.
    Eat normally! A true read is most important.  Do not try cheating the test.  Many women fail the 1 hour and pass the 3 with flying colors! If you fail, your DC doctor will work close with you in keeping it under control. 
  • Options
    Agree with pp. Eat the way you normally would, it’s important for the results to be as accurate as possible. I am one of those people who failed the 1 hour and passed the 3 hour, and I made no changes to my diet beforehand. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with the others, eat normally. With my first I failed the 1hr, passed the 3hr. This time I failed the 3hr and was diagnosed with GD. It's all about how your body interacts with the hormones your placenta is creating. Some women become more insulin resistant than others. Often it is a simple as changing your diet, other times it requires medication like injectable insulin. Either way it is through no fault of your own. It's just how your pregnancy is effecting your body. Just like morning sickness or pregnancy acne, it's just another symptom of pregnancy and will hopefully go away once your LO is here. But in order to manage a GD pregnancy safely it has to be properly diagnosed and controlled.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    I failed my 1 hour at 11 weeks, requested 3 hour, but my MFM decided to give me the stricter 2 hour test. I failed it also - both tests I failed by just a few points but he said he would have retested me every three weeks just to make sure I didn’t slip thru the cracks. I’ve followed a GD eating plan, and tested my blood sugar 4 times a day since I was 12 weeks - I’ll be 20 weeks on Friday. My daytime numbers are well controlled with diet, I take metformin at dinner and bedtime to help my fasting numbers

For me it was honestly a blessing in disguise; I was following weight watchers with my doctors approval, to maintain my weight and actually have lost about 20lbs since I switched my diet to GD. I’m eating more food than I was before, higher quality food - farro and quinoa instead of white rice, full fat dairy, lots of avocados and nuts. I was so sad when I was first diagnosed but it’s really not that bad. You just have to figure out what works for you - I can’t handle white flour or rice but corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes all work well for me, and alternatives like barilla plus pasta. Search gestational diabetes support group on Facebook - it’s been an awesome resource and some of the women on there were diagnosed as early as 7 weeks. 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for all the support! Thankfully I passed my three hour test. Either way I was happy to get some insight and support from you all 🙂