3rd Trimester
Options

Anyone have DeQuervain's Tenosynovitis?

I'm 37 weeks pregnant with my first, and have DeQuervain's. Been in pain since late June, finally went to the orthopedist and got splints in mid July, and got a cortisone shot last week - it hasn't worked yet and I'm losing hope. I only got the shot in one hand to see if it would work, but both of my hands are basically useless now. I know this is a common ailment for new moms which tells me that it won't just go away when the baby comes, and I'm feeling very frustrated and hopeless thinking that I won't be able to care for my baby (who is coming any day now!)

Has anyone dealt with this? Any tips on exercises or treatment, or something that helped significantly after the baby came like ibuprofin or more cortisone shots?

Re: Anyone have DeQuervain's Tenosynovitis?

• Options
    harpseal135harpseal135 member
    edited August 2018
    ashh2018 said:
    I'm 37 weeks pregnant with my first, and have DeQuervain's. Been in pain since late June, finally went to the orthopedist and got splints in mid July, and got a cortisone shot last week - it hasn't worked yet and I'm losing hope. I only got the shot in one hand to see if it would work, but both of my hands are basically useless now. I know this is a common ailment for new moms which tells me that it won't just go away when the baby comes, and I'm feeling very frustrated and hopeless thinking that I won't be able to care for my baby (who is coming any day now!)

Has anyone dealt with this? Any tips on exercises or treatment, or something that helped significantly after the baby came like ibuprofin or more cortisone shots?
    The ONLY thing that helped mine was surgery.  I had the surgery about 6 months after DD was born.  Nothing worked, not PT, not Anti inflammatories, no splint, no cortisone injection, nothing. It was not fun.  Hopefully you can get some relief soon.  
  • Options
    I had it pretty badly after my first child was born. I wore a brace for a while, especially at night when I wasn't consious of how I was holding/positioning my wrist. I was extremely careful with how I held the baby, rested my arm and picked anything up. The pain eventually went away but I still have a large bump/inflammation on the nerve over 1.5 years later. Expecting baby #2 in October and will be very careful not to exacerbate it again. My doctor didn't give me any exercises because I think resting it is the best course of action. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had pretty bad carpal tunnel. I really do not recommend cortisone.  It is a temporary fix and does nothing for overall healing.  I used these great wrist wraps that will work for de quarveins as well.  the overall treatment is the same.  Treat with the ColdCure wrap for pain and inflammation and then promote blood flow to help heal and repais the tissues.  In my case it was the carpal tunnel but for you it would be the tendon.  It is safe and non invasive.  It is an at home treatment you are in control of.  There is a 30 day money back so if doesnt work you can get a refund.  For me it took a few weeks to get into a routine but it definitely helped.  I was so frustrated with it.  Doing up those darn buttons on the onsies were killer.  Also recommend only buying zippered pjs.  Heres the link to the site for the wraps. it is for sure worth a look into or even try.  https://tinyurl.com/y86lzmpn
  • Options
    I had this after i had my first child 9 years ago. like @harpseal135 the only thing that helped was surgery. I had both wrists fixed and the pain went away. have not had any issues since. Hopefully since this post you have found something to help, or spoken with a doctor to get some recommendations! 
  • Options
    I saw that this post was from August, but just wanted to chime in. I had this pretty bad with my first, and got amazing relief from acupuncture. It was the only thing that helped! Hope you're feeling better.
  • Options
    mermaidcamermaidca member
    edited January 2019
    @sarahking99@hotmail.com you might want to change your username.  Stranger danger and all.
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Also, worth waiting to make any decisions until after baby. Hormonal inflammation is a thing and could go away on its own.