3rd Trimester

BIRTH PICTURES

Are any of you lovely ladies considering having a professional birth photographer or have you had one with a previous delivery? I'm seriously considering hiring one as I've hopefully got something special in the works with this delivery. -TIA

Re: BIRTH PICTURES

• Honestly no! Something I would never want to view nor would want to see : pictures of me in labor.  To me, it is a very personal event and I wouldn't want pictures of me trying to get comfortable,  trying to push a baby out, etc even if done tastefully.  I love looking at the 1st picture I have of my daughter and I, and I look horrible! The rest is of LO with DH and other family (the next day).  Just my opinion. 
  • @harpseal135 Thank you. I'm truly trying to get opinions. I'm so on the fence. People seeing me honestly doesn't bother me. My issue is is it worth it? My eldest daughter has the opportunity to help deliver her sibling and I'm thinking I really want it documented so I don't miss anything because I know I probably won't be focused on her at that moment. I'm just still not sure.
  • Loading the player...
  • meggymemeggyme member
    edited January 2019
    Our doula took some pics of my first and although most of them are NSFW I occasionally look back at them just because so much of it was a blur. And the pictures she took after LO was born are the only pics of her first 16 hours of life and I cherish the ones we have of her on my chest and DH holding her. I’ve asked our current doula to take pictures during my labor, although I don’t think the hospital allows them during the actual birth. I wouldn’t pay a professional, personally, but if you have a support person that will be there anyway, it’s worth having them take a few pics.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • @harpseal135 Thank you. I'm truly trying to get opinions. I'm so on the fence. People seeing me honestly doesn't bother me. My issue is is it worth it? My eldest daughter has the opportunity to help deliver her sibling and I'm thinking I really want it documented so I don't miss anything because I know I probably won't be focused on her at that moment. I'm just still not sure.

An older sibling "help deliver her sibiling"?  How old is the older sibling?  Honestly, that is something I definately would not do,  especially with a young kiddo. I am assuming you are attempting a home birth? 
  • @meggyme I'll have a few people in there but they'll be watching my 2 younger kids. That's a good idea though. 
  • @harpseal135 My oldest is 13. It's something she wants to do. She's been there for her 2 other siblings births. And no definitely NOT a home birth. I just have an awesome doctor! :) When I had my 3rd child my then almost 2 yr old and of course my eldest were in the room. My 2 yr old was amazed and was in love with "her baby" from that moment. 
  • Honestly, I'm surprised that they let you have kids in the delivery room, our hospital does not at all. Policy......They can come into post-partum to visit.  I was just surprised by that. 
  • @harpseal135 Neither the hospital or doctor has had an issue with my kiddos in the room during labor & delivery. I actually really love that we can make it a family affair.
  • No, this is something I would never do. I do not want pictures of myself looking like that. My H recently told me that if he didn't know I was in labor, he would have thought I was demon-possessed. No, I don't want to have photos of that preserved for posterity. 

Since you're asking for opinions, I do not like anyone's birth photos. I've had friends have them taken, and I have never seen any that I thought looked nice. Of course, I never would tell them this to their face, but it feels extremely awkward to look at them, and I find the photos very unflattering and weird.

Photos can wait until after the baby is born, and I'm feeling more myself. 
  • @lovesclimbing I completely understand. Pictures during labor and birth probably aren't ideal. I'm not too worried about the way I look but more concerned with capturing the experience of my daughter getting to help deliver her sibling. I feel I'll miss something in the moment. 
  • @kc_partyof6 it sounds like you’ve already made up your mind, so just do it. Or ask someone else in your group to snap a picture of it.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • @lovesclimbing I completely understand. Pictures during labor and birth probably aren't ideal. I'm not too worried about the way I look but more concerned with capturing the experience of my daughter getting to help deliver her sibling. I feel I'll miss something in the moment. 
    Well, personally, that doesn't really concern me. I don't care if I remember every single detail. I do remember a lot of details, though, I will say, I had a completely unmedicated birth, and it was extremely hard, much harder than I was expecting (and I had a relatively easy, short, straightforward labor and birth, fwiw.) And as I said above, my H said I looked and sounded demon-possessed. But I still can remember most of the details from her coming out, pulling her up (they had me help grab her), she had a short cord so I was holding her very low, them having me stand up (birthing stool) and pulling it away and helping me into the bed. And I can still picture it in my mind, and I wrote in my journal everything about her birth a couple days later before I could forget. And I also have access to my online medical records that includes entries of everything that happened. 

Anyway, like Pp said, it sounds like you've already made up your mind, so I'm not sure what you're hoping to get from asking here. 
  • @lovesclimbing Was hoping to get pros & cons about it I guess. Thought people's input would help me think of things I might not have thought about or considered before. That's why I was asking here.
  • libertymomrnlibertymomrn member
    edited January 2019
    It sounds to me like she’s asking if it’s worth the cost of hiring a professional birth photographer; not if everyone here likes birth photos. 

I’m glad I have video of my first being born, but it was just DH who turned the camcorder on, set it up just right and let it run. My other 2 came too fast for him to get anything set-up, but I do wish I had video or pictures of the births. Childbirth is amazing, and looking back at the video reminds me what a miraculous journey it is. For me, I wouldn’t want to spend the money to have it professionally done (but I’m cheap,) but I would love to have some amateur pics and video.

Good-luck with your upcoming birth!
  • @libertymomrn Thank you for that!!  <3 I appreciate your honesty. It's greatly needed.
  • If you are looking for pros and cons of hiring a professional vs not, I would say that some cons of having a professional: it's expensive, you probably won't know this person so you will have a stranger in there photographing this. I agree with the PPs, if that's something you want, have someone in the room snap some photos.

As for me, that's a hard pass. I want 0 photos of me in labor. I will splurge on newborn photos instead.
  • I do not think spending money on a birth photographer is worth it. Have someone else snap some pics. I would take the money and spend it on fantastic NB photos.
  • Thankfully, my husband takes really great photos and so does our Doula so then I can splurge a little on pregnancy photos because we can both do our own newborn photos. I suppose he could do my pregnancy photos too. You know what? I say hire a professional if you can afford it, but if you think birth looks amazing no matter what and you are okay with photos that might be blurry, won't have good lighting, snapped when you're in the middle of a strange expression, snapped when someone is moving making an arm or something blurry, not in frame, or whatever....then have a family member or friend snap the photos.

With a professional, you're going to get well lit photos, well framed photos, most of the photos will be taken at the right timing, etc. Just my two cents from what I know. I've seen some awesome birth photos by the way searching through google images. Like, they make me ugly cry. I wouldn't want any of my tits or other areas being exposed personally though when that time comes. I think it's really cool you allow your children to be present in your birthing room. It teaches them that birth is normal and should be celebrated rather than the scary messages most women/men receive growing up. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• @babyh0419 i feel the same as you when it comes to photos. I dont want to miss a damn thing. Im actually getting a scheduled csection so i was worried that id miss everything since ill be staring at the ceiling. I want photos of my boyfriend cutting the cord and handing her to me for the first time and of all the other moments i might miss because im being sewed up. Luckily, they allow two people in the operating room at my hospital so we are going to have my mom join us and snap the pictures. I hope she can hold it together. Lol. This isnt her first granddaughter but its the first one she will actually get to see be born and its my first baby. If she couldnt handle taking pictures though, we would probably hire us a professional. Im going with my mom first to try to keep it more personal. No idea if this is going to work like i hope it will but i can let you know August 5th when baby Addy makes her big debut.

Lilypie Maternity tickers