April 2019 Moms

Week 2 Check-in w/o 1/14

Due date: 

Any appointments? Questions? 

Rants/Raves? 

How are you feeling? 

GTKY: What features, physical or personality, do you hope baby will inherit from you? From SO? 

Re: Week 2 Check-in w/o 1/14

• I really like this GTKY question! 

Due date: April 13th

Any appointments? Questions?: None this week, just waiting on my glucose results (doctor's office was closed today due to a snowstorm so I'm sure that's going to hold my results up at least another day or so. 

Rants/Raves?: I'm super annoyed with our building right now. The last apartment building we lived in would let you upgrade to a larger apartment and just extend your lease for the larger place, but when I asked our current building if they had a policy like this, they didn't answer my question and just sent me a response all about how much money I would lose if I violated my lease. Like that wasn't what I asked you and a simple "I'm sorry, that's not our policy" would have sufficed, rather than stress out a mom-to-be who is already stressed about having enough space for baby. 

But I am happy that I've been having some really nice chats with my mom recently. We clash a lot, partially because we're too much alike, but she is becoming a lot more motherly the farther into my pregnancy I get. We had a really great conversation the other day that was laughing about a story of my dad "watching" me when I was little that is the main reason I tease my dad that my stepmom has to be around supervising if he wants to babysit. It also was funny to hear my mom tell it now that I'm expecting rather than remembering it from when she told me when I was little. It's really making me enjoy our relationship more. 

How are you feeling?: I have had better days. I've been vomiting all day (I've only been able to keep food down for the last couple of hours after managing to get, and keep down, two doses of my anti-nausea meds). It's just been a crap day. Other than that, I'm mostly just feeling really large - my husband took a bump photo yesterday and I was like "am I really that big?" It's just really making me realize how far into my pregnancy I am and how there's really not that much time left (just under 13 weeks hopefully). 

GTKY: What features, physical or personality, do you hope baby will inherit from you? From SO?: I have always thought that I would have a baby with brown eyes, like mine. I'm one of the only people in my family with really dark brown eyes and they're my favorite feature of myself so I always hoped that I would have a baby with my eyes. DH has beautiful blue eyes (as do all of our nephews on his side), but I always tease him that I hope our son has my eyes if nothing else. I also hope that LO has my love for books - I've already started building him his own little library collection in hopes that he'll love reading like his mommy. I would love for our son to have DH's curly hair (even though DH hates it) and definitely his kindness. DH is really one of the kindest people that I know and we always talk to LO at night about how it's so important to us that he is kind above all else. 

• @jlklec19, ugh, I'm so sorry about the nausea!  That sucks big time.  I hope tomorrow is better for you.  Does lemon/ginger candy or anything help calm your stomach enough for some real calories?  And if you have a love of reading, your kiddo probably will too :smile: .  Between myself, my DH, and my parents, we read books all the time to my son, and he has a huge bookshelf full of books now (at 4yo).  He always asks us to read to him before bedtime, and he usually sits up and "reads," one to himself before going to sleep also.  It makes me happy.

Due date: April 10th

Any appointments? Questions? Glucose test/bloodwork/checkup tomorrow!  Last one in "second tri," now they'll be upped in frequency to every two weeks after tomorrow.

Rants/Raves? Rave: we got a lot done in the future nursery room today!  I'm feeling much less stressed about it.  Rant: people are dumb and their comments keep making me mentally facepalm.  Like, do you really need to point out how big I'm getting?  Rude.

How are you feeling? So. Pregnant.  Seriously, it feels like I woke up this week and my body is like, "oh hey, now that you remembered you're in the third trimester, have all of these wonderful symptoms!"  I can't breathe while I tie my shoes... I don't remember feeling this ineffectual and inept last time around.  Blah.

GTKY: What features, physical or personality, do you hope baby will inherit from you? From SO? 

Love this.  I hope this babe gets my green eyes (good chance I think, since DH has hazel, mine are green, and DS1 has greenish).  I'm very interested to see if this one gets my hair (fine, light brown, and pin straight like his brother) or DH's (dark, coarser and a bit wavy).  I also hope he learns to love reading and nature, and like @jlklec19 mentioned, that he learns kindness above all else.  I'm definitely not a saint by any means, but I love doing little unexpected gestures for people, and I think it's one of my better traits.

Something I hope this one doesn't inherit are his dad's and brother's borderline-ADHD and general squirrelly-ness, but I know that's a lost cause :lol:.  As long as all the boys know when I need my quiet time and give me space, haha!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Due date: April 8th

Any appointments? Questions? Had a midwife appointment yesterday morning. Things are going well and are right on schedule. No bloodwork this time around, we'll do bloodwork in the next few appointments just to verify my iron levels are ok. She did give me my homebirth checklist which makes it so much more real that we're getting closer.

Rants/Raves? DD is throwing tantrums everytime we get ready...for daycare, for bed, before we go to the store, out to eat with my parents...you name it and it gets a screaming fit from her. This morning if I wouldn't have been home my poor husband would have lost his marbles getting her ready. I don't know what to do...I swear I've tried everything in the book.

My rave is that baby is making crazy movements that I can see from the outside. Although they make me sick sometimes it's so neat to sit and watch.

How are you feeling? Physically fine, I still have pubic pain and back pain but I'm going to mention both to my chiropractor tomorrow to see what her suggestions are. Otherwise I can't complaint too much since it's normal 3rd trimester annoyances. Mentally I'm tired and ready to be on leave and not working. I took a week vacation in February so I'm counting down for that.

GTKY: What features, physical or personality, do you hope baby will inherit from you? From SO? I really don't know the answer to this. Our daughter has DH's beautiful blue eyes and blonde hair from both of us. I don't know if I want this baby to have the same or to get my green eyes instead. DD looked like DH when she was born and now looks like me when I was her age so she's a perfect mix of us both which is what I'm hoping for this time around too. I love seeing both of us in her. Personality wise, I love how independent and stubborn DD is but I think we need a more mellow second born because if this one is the same or more high strung than DD...let's just say we're in deep trouble.

• Due date: 11-Apr-2019

Any appointments? Questions? I have to go into the hospital to get my Rhogam shot this Thursday and we are getting one of those 3D Ultrasounds on Saturday. Then I have to go to the prenatal clinic to talk with the perinatal nurse on Monday, and a regular prenatal check-up next Thursday (Dr. has me on the "bi-weekly plan" now). Is anyone else finding that there are like a million appointments to have to go to between tests, consults and other things? Its getting pretty ridiculous. I'm a low risk pregnancy, but this month I've averaged 2 appointments every week. Who the hell has the time for all this shit? I'm all for good prenatal care, and I'm super lucky that in Canada its all free, but I think its ridiculous that some of these appointments can't be combined. The fact that I can't have a needle and a consult with a perinatal nurse at the same time as a prenatal check-up is absolutely ludicrous to me; instead I have to take time off work and work around these different clinic schedules. Its a waste of resources, and a waste of my time.

Rants/Raves? Biggest rant right now... see above. Honestly, having a hard time with the raves these days... I just want this pregnancy to be over.

How are you feeling? Sore all over. I don't think there is enough room in my body for this giant ass baby. She's up in my ribs, and simultaneously sitting on my pelvis. I can't do anything without daily pain in my pubic bone, tailbone, ribs, back... everywhere. 

GTKY: What features, physical or personality, do you hope baby will inherit from you? From SO? I hope she gets DHs nose, otherwise she's in for a lifetime of comments from my mother. I also hope she gets his tiny head... haha. I hope she gets a combination of our intelligence (DHs is incredibly good with things like physics, mechanics and English, where as my talents lie in biology, health sciences, research...). DH is also the kindest person I've ever met, so I hope she inherits that. 

• Due date: 4/14

Any appointments? Questions? Glucose Test friday. I believe I have my monthly appointment Feb.1, then my doctor will want me to come in every 2 weeks.

Rants/Raves? Sooo this is a rant and a rave, my LO moves around all.the.time. its a rave bc I know LO is doing well but a rant bc it can get painful/annoying.

How are you feeling? Actually pretty good, I feel like I have a ton of energy for being 27+ weeks, working full time, and taking care of 2 small children.

GTKY: What features, physical or personality, do you hope baby will inherit from you? From SO? So both of my kids have my hair, straight and blonde. I am praying this child gets my DH's hair. His is medium brown/red with just the right amount of curl/wave (his hair is to his shoulders). I don't care is this child is a boy or girl, if LO has DHs hair, hair will be looonnggg! I hope LO has my independent personality, and my DH's goofiness.

• Due date: 4/14

Any appointments? Questions? Appt and growth scan Monday. Last 4 week appt then on to every 2 weeks- eek

Rants/Raves? Ugh the swelling in my feet is awful so I am trying compression socks. BUT I can't get them on myself. My poor hubby has to put them on me before he leaves for work. I feel like ridiculous having him put them on me. 

How are you feeling? Other than the swelling I am doing pretty good. I feel huge and am walking slower but other than that not too bad. 

GTKY: What features, physical or personality, do you hope baby will inherit from you? From SO? My side of the family is better looking then hubby's side :) but I hope the baby gets his height and metabolism! 

• @kate_e_nb, that does seem excessive for appointments.  I just had my glucose test, TDAP/rhogam shots, and prenatal checkup all in one appointment this morning.  Granted, it meant sitting there for two hours with my 4yo, but at least they were nice enough to combine them.  Can you ask if some of those tests can be done when you're already there?

@snowhite12, reddish curls are adorable!  If my LO came out with curls, I'm not sure I could ever bring myself to cut their hair, haha.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kangstadt See I wouldn't mind one two hour visit as opposed to having to sneak away for an hour or so multiple times a week... I asked about combining them, but every provider said they couldn't because they were all "different departments." I had even asked about getting them all on one day at least (easier to take one half sick day than multiple "sneak aways") and it was a no-go. I will disclose that where I live, women's health is pretty low on the list of health priorities, so I imagine the patchwork of services is a symptom of that. I will mention it to my doc though, she sits on a couple of boards and is pretty big advocate for good care in our community, and I imagine her comments will go farther in the health system than mine will...
  • @jlklec19, so sorry to hear about your nausea! I couldn't imagine it.

Due date: 4/8

Any appointments? Questions? next appointment 1/31. I'm also at the 2 week interval now. this is the part I hate. I feel like these appointments are a waste of time, other than getting to hear baby's heartbeat. but I think I feel him move enough that I wouldn't be worried if I didn't hear his heartbeat every 2 weeks.

Rants/Raves?
    rant: you guys may have seen my pity party on the randoms thread about my family being totally unsupportive and abandoning. they have all always been this way about everything. (my brother just went through a custody battle for his 2 boys, which my husband and I helped him through b/c no one else would.) my dad thinks his job ended when we all turned 18. my mom's defense is always, "I didn't have any help, so you can figure it out." and my sister belongs to her in-laws, indefinitely now. I just wish my family was like everyone else's: close (physically and mentally), and supportive. it's almost embarrassing when I tell people that we don't have family help. 

rave: passed my glucose test! which was a huge surprise. I am not the healthiest mom by a long shot. so now, not only am I celebrating not having GD, but I also figure that if this is the least effective my body will ever be at processing insulin, then I am guaranteed to never have diabetes EVER!! (no one yuck my wow on this, I need this rave!)

How are you feeling? @kangstadt, I'm with you, girl! last night I crashed at 7:30. I mean, like, as soon as my head hit the pillow, I was out. but just before that, I was moping about how tired and sore I felt from head to toe and I have BARELY made it into the home stretch! :( today might be my crankiest day since getting my positive last summer. I hope for everyone's sake that this mood doesn't last for the next 12 weeks. 

GTKY: What features, physical or personality, do you hope baby will inherit from you? From SO? what a great question! ... that I don't have a very good answer for :-/ I've been so consumed with how my first-born will react, and what kind of big brother he will be when baby arrives, that I haven't given much thought to how or what new guy will be like. my first doesn't look like dad, but he takes after my husband's dad's side of the family. like, all the little ones on that branch of the family tree have nearly identical features. so my husband has stated that he hopes the new one will take after my side of the family more. he thinks if we each had one that takes more after us, then it "makes things even." and I find myself hoping for the same. really, though, I'm more worried about the brother dynamic between my 2 boys. I hope it's a good one. I wanted my kids to be a little closer in age b/c of this. so I have no idea what to expect. 

• Due date: 4/9/2019

Yesterday. Now I’m on the appt every two weeks.

Rants/Raves? 

The online results of my glucose test said I passed but at my appointment yesterday they told me I failed and need to do the three hour. Which I’m not looking forward to due to the fasting 

How are you feeling? 

My pubic pain is horrible. I literally feel like I’m being ripped in half by the end of the day. My support belt helps take the edge off but it gets so uncomfortable after a couple of hours. Also I get so uncomfortable at night causing me to not sleep.

I just want this child to look like me and not DH lol. After three pregnancies I think I deserve one child to look like me haha. We both have blue eyes so I’m sure this girl will too. A weird/funny one is I always want my kids to have my feet because DH and his family have ugly feet. 
  • @blueberrymomma I'm with you on the feet thing! Not that mine are stunners or anything, but DH's are honest to god troll feet. Even on a baby they would probably be hideous...
  • Haha to the feet comment. I love all these responses!

Due date: April 12

Any appointments? Questions? Had my monthly appointment yesterday. All looks good. They also did my glucose test so I'm just waiting for those results (and bloodwork for iron levels). Also got my tetanus, pertussis, whatever else is in there vaccine. Now it's onto every 2 weeks! 

Rants/Raves? I'm actually excited about having more frequent appointments - I may be the oddball here. My midwife's office is literally a 1/2 mile from my work and they're able to always get me in right after work so I don't have to take any time off (granted, I get off work at 4pm so it's probably easier for me than some others). Having more appointments just makes it more real, and I'm excited to get this pregnancy over!

How are you feeling? I don't feel too bad. Very tired and my back is a little achy and I have a teeny bit of heartburn, but otherwise, pretty good. That being said, I still don't like being pregnant and I can't wait to have booze. @jlklec19 I am SO sorry about your nausea. That sounds like a f'n nightmare. My nausea lasted until about 22 weeks and I'm so grateful it's over.

GTKY: What features, physical or personality, do you hope baby will inherit from you? From SO? Love this question!! Well, we both have blue eyes, so I'm banking on that! I'd like our LO to get my family's height. My DH is a couple inches shorter than me, and his other kids are super tiny. I'm 5'8" and feel like a yeti when I'm with them all! I also hope baby will get my discipline when it comes to school. I definitely don't think I'm smarter than DH, but I was way more studious apparently. And his 17 year old takes after him in the procrastination department! I hope baby gets DH's friendliness and kind heart. I'm definitely more of a bitch and less social! DH can talk to anyone and is always so pleasant.

• @kangstadt @batmama31 @rennie1108 thank you all for your kind words, today was much better and thankfully my job is pretty flexible so I was able to rehydrate at home instead of rushing back into the office today. 

@kangstadt we already read to LO almost every night to hopefully jump start his love of books and reading. I just ordered some cube shelves to put all of the books that we have so far and the ones that people will gift us (we asked for books versus cards for our baby showers). 

@kate_e_nb my mom made a comment about how she can't believe how often I have appointments. I forced my OB's office to add my 1 hour glucose test to a regular OB check-up because I refused to take off anymore time from work. They tried to say no because they do the test at 26 weeks (my regular checkup was taking place on 25w, 6d), but I dug in my heels. Hopefully talking to your doctor will help! 

I'm really loving everyone's GTKY answers this week! 
  • That's crazy how many extra appointments they are making you guys go to for all of the testing on top of normal appointments. I remember with DD I did hospital care but they were really good with coordinating all of the tests to take place on the same day as my normal appointments. I don't miss waiting around for a 15 min "hi, bye" conversation though. I feel blessed having a full hour with my midwife and not having to do any extra crap with nursing staff or anything like that. I feel like I know my midwife better now than I knew anyone at my hospital with DD. I agree with @jlklec19 about digging in your heels and not doing extra appointments if you can.

I thought I would be switching to every 2 weeks now but we made an appointment for 3 weeks out. I asked and she said it was right in the middle to do the transition over to every other. Especially being low risk she didn't see a need to start them until I was after 30 weeks. I guess it makes sense looking at it that way.

• @angelob88 I'm the same with the appointments - not having a ton and loving my midwife! They also scheduled me for 3 weeks out and then 2 weeks thereafter. 
  • I haven't been posting in the check-ins lately, but I'm jumping back in!!

@jlklec19 How great to be having good conversations with your mom!  Such a good feeling.
    @kangstadt I had the same breathless feeling this morning.  I dropped something on the floor at work and when I bent over to grab it, I was sure I was going to pass out from lack of oxygen!
    @angelob88 Sorry to hear about the tantrums.  I've been pretty bad at handling the tantrums from my 2, I have such little patience these days.
    @kate_e_nb I was lucky that I got my rhogam shot at my OB appointment.  It's tough when they make you travel all over the place!
    @snowhite12 It's so awesome you have all that energy considering everything on your plate!  I wish I did!
    @jayhawkmom4 I had compression socks last time while on bed rest.  I never felt like they did much and they are such a pain to get on!!!  Once mine were on for the day, that was it.  They weren't coming off for the whole day.
    @batmama31 Sorry about your family.  I don't understand how some parents can just stop helping out their babies no matter how old they are.
    @blueberrymomma I'm with ya on the pubic pain.  I feel like the only thing holding my pelvis together is my skin.  Ugh.  So painful.
    @rennie1108 That's great your midwife's office can accommodate you like that!  It's easier to have a good appointment when you're not watching the clock.

Due date: 
    April 8

Had my appointment with my OB on Tuesday and now I'll be every 3 weeks, not sure when that will change to every 2 weeks.

Rants/Raves? 
    I'm having a difficult time this pregnancy.  With my last pregnancy, granted it was a high-risk twin pregnancy, I was off work at 26 weeks, having an ultrasound every week and admitted to the hospital for monitoring at 28 weeks.  While I am so happy this pregnancy is "grossly normal" and long and boring, I am just tired.  I've mentally checked out of work and I'm just over it even though I could (and probably should) be working for AT LEAST 6 more weeks.  Pretty much everything past this point will all be new to me.

How are you feeling? 
    Like above, just tired.  Working full time, raising 2 kids and being pregnant is no joke.  My pelvis is killing me and I'm waddling around even though I'm not really that big.

This is a great question!!  H and I have talked about it before, our girls are so different that I have no idea how this baby will end up.  Twin A is a little chubbier, red curly hair, brown eyes and looks more like H.  Twin B is more slender, looong straight blonde hair, blue eyes and if we had to choose, she looks more like me - but even that's up for debate.  So we have no idea what this boy will look like!  I'm hoping he inherits my big eyes like the girls have and I would like him to inherit H's dimples.

Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @mermaidca, your twins sound adorable!  Genetics are definitely amazing and complex as heck.  DS's newborn photo looked exactly like DH's brother's hospital picture, not DH's, haha. 

This thread made me start wondering about how this LO will look/be, and makes me feel more connected and excited to meet him :smile:.  It only took 7 months, haha.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kangstadt thanks!  I think our girls are pretty darn cute.  We were worried that twin girls would always be mixed up, or they'd get lumped together but they are so totally different I don't think that will be the case.

I'm glad you're feeling more connected to this little one.  I know you were having worries before.  It just seems so much more real now that the end is near!
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @mermaidca, I've always had this fear that if I had twins I would get them mixed up as babies, haha.  I also know people with identical twin boys that dress them exactly alike and the dad admits he can't tell them apart half the time.

And thanks!  Now if only the nursery could get finished in the next month and maybe I'll actually feel ready as well as excited... 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I’m so bad at these check-ins, and even worse at responding to everyone! I’ll probably sit down and read through everyone’s check-ins when I have more downtime today.

Due date: 4/10

Any appointments? Questions? Had my 28 week today. 3 hour glucose screening and more bloodwork for anemia next Wednesday. 30 week appointment 1/30. Yay for biweekly 😑

Rants/Raves? See the glucose thread for my rant. I won’t make yall suffer in here too, haha.

How are you feeling? Blah. Rib pain, back pain, reflux, sciatica. Just another wonderful day of pregnancy!

GTKY: What features, physical or personality, do you hope baby will inherit from you? From SO? Physically, I just want her to get DH’s nose and not mine. I’ve definitely grown into what people call my “adorable and round” nose, and I love it now, but I got made fun of for my nose SO often as a kid. I just don’t want her to have to deal with that. It would be so cool if she got her grandpa’s green eyes! 

Personality wise, I hope she get’s DH’s love of learning and hopefully his math ability, haha. And I hope she loves to read and write like I do. I also can’t wait to see how her own unique personality develops.