August 2019 Moms

Appointments thread - January

2»

Re: Appointments thread - January

• Finally got to see my LO!! HR looks good, and baby is measuring about 5 days behind LMP (as I expected).
    The nurse who walks you through all the dos and don'ts was like you probably know all this already but...
    Last travel date is the day before my cousin's wedding (4 hours away) so we'll have to figure that out. The doctor said that we'll evaluate when it gets closer but as long as I'm feeling ok, she thinks I can do it.
  • edited January 2019
    Did anyone else's OB mention putting them on an aspirin regimen after first tri? 

I had sporadic high BP starting around 37/38 weeks last time, which led to me having to be induced at 39 weeks. I didn't actually develop pre-e, because I had no swelling, protein in my urine, or any indicator except the weird BP. My OB kind of mentioned it off-hand, and said it reduces risk of high BP/pre-e by 40%, which is huge!

I am going to talk over all the specifics at my next appt, but Dr. Google is telling me mixed things. Yes, it reduces pre-e risk, but can also potepotentiapotentially cause a heart complication if the dose is too high? Although I'm sure the risks associated with early delivery due to pre-e aren't great either. In the mean time I'm just nervously milling it over. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Loading the player...
  • @WinchesterGirl I'd be more worried about your body with pre-e than just an early delivery. There's so much more risk of pre-e than just an early delivery. 

I developed pre-e with my first which damaged my kidneys even more than they were before hand. And I was on meds for high blood pressure for over 6 months after delivery. There were other things as well, but those were the longer term impacts. 

With my second I was monitored very closely for bp the whole time and it wasn't much fun (lots of nst and a few 24 hour collection tests). But I wasn't put on aspirin. And even though my BP did elevate quite a bit towards the end, I never had protein spill and wasn't diagnosed with pre-e with that kid.  
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• @WinchesterGirl, sorry if my previous post comes off rude or know it all-y. I'm sure you are doing tons of research and everything. I didn't mean it to come off that way, I just wanted to make sure you think about and discuss the other risks as well. 

DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Thanks @sourlemon! I feel like I'm in a weird spot because technically I had gestational hypertension. So that is less common on it's own, from what I'm reading? So, I don't know a ton about pre-e, so thank you for sharing! I will definitely add those concerns to my list to ask the doctor. That is really interesting that they just monitored you as opposed to doing the baby aspirin!

I'm sorry you had so many complications, that had to be stressful on top of taking care of your newborn. 

I tend to zero in on the effects/risks to baby, and I know I need to step back in this case and consider the risks to both of us. It's just hard to think that way, you know? 
  • @WinchesterGirl I’ve been on a low dose aspirin regimine since before conception due to my history of RPL and also am homozygous for an MTHFR mutation. Not sure how long we’ll be keeping it up but many of the IF and RPL ladies are on it at least initially. 

AFM we have our second u/s appt tomorrow. PGAL anxiety has been ratcheting up.
  • Have been feeling so anxious for my appointment this morning. It was such a relief to see baby getting bigger and doing great! MH had his blood drawn for SMA carrier test (I was positive), and I had blood drawn for NIPT
  • @WinchesterGirl I have been on low dose aspirin with all my successful pregnancies (I am heterozygous factor V) The low dose aspirin regimen is generally considered pretty safe. If your doc recommends it to you I wouldn't hesitate. ( I have been on the aspirin for the entire length of my pregnancies)
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• MamaK225MamaK225 member
    edited January 2019
    @WinchesterGirl - My OB suggested a low-dose aspirin regimen for me, I was very similar to you. BP shot up at the very end, but no other issues. I'm going to start once I'm in the second trimester. Since it's not doing anything now (I'm averaging 125/75), I should be fine for a few weeks.

AFM, had my "graduation" appointment with my RE. So now I'm released into the wild to be part of the normal preggo clan. I'm so happy, but nervous because we were pregnant with twins but one stopped growing about 2 weeks ago. But we got to see the happy little bean today so I'm feeling much better. Now, just 4.5 more weeks until I'll feel a bit less anxiety.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Thank you @wabash15 & @MamaK225! That's very reassuring that you've both been told something similar & even had success in the past!  <3
  • @olivemama I have a tipped back uterus too!! It’s so stressful when they search and search for the HB with the Doppler and can’t find it. So glad everything turned out great for you!
  • @jmesue1030 it is stressful! I didn’t experience this previously and was 100% convinced after the first US try this would be yet another loss. But hey I’ll take a baby that keeps me on my toes any day! I’m so glad all had gone well for you as well despite your scares!!
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • @olivemomma @jmesue1030 I'm with y'all in the tipped back uterus club (according to the US tech at a previous appt), so REALLY good to know that it may create an issue when looking for the heartbeat on the doppler. Thank you for the warning!
  • I had my last appt with my RE today and graduated to my OB. One last ultrasound—She is now measuring 3 days ahead (9w1d) with a HR of 171. Thankfully I only have to wait 2 weeks for my appt with my OB
  • I had my NT scan today, baby is looking great and the scan went well. They sent out bloodwork for other testing and now we wait. They also started texting and emailing the videos and pics of LO, so I am anxiously awaiting those to come through as well!

• The midwife called me back with blood work results. All looks good and I have negative blood type and baby has positive,  which means 2 things
    - I'll need a shot after 25 weeks,  nbd
    - baby is growing properly! (They said they can only tell the baby's blood type starting from 10 weeks and I has blood work at 10+1, so that gives me peace until our first audio/visual confirmation of healthy growth at the anatomy scan (one and only ultra sound except for high risk pregnancies,  which I hope to avoid). 

We told parents and siblings at christmas, but now i feel better about telling grandparents and close friends (12 weeks on Sunday). Might even tell work to get out of a late night thing next week that is completely irrelevant if im not working next year..... plus then I could stop wearing spanx and just be comfy letting the blump hang out haha

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019